• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2019
Ok the bolded is bs, they've never said that about single player games, that's putting your own views into this. They've said not filling a quota part, but nothing about the sp games part.
mspoweruser.com

Phil Spencer says single-player games like Horizon Zero Dawn don't have the same impact as before

In a recent interview with The Guardian, Phil Spencer said that games like Overwatch which recently crossed 30 million players have more of an impact in terms of sales than single-player experiences such as Horizon Zero Dawn which sold a fraction of that. This wasn’t the case a few years ago...

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you expect Motorstorm, it's dead and buried. Sony gave it plenty of chances but people showed they didn't care for it.
source.gif

The last Motorstorm game was sent to die in 2011. It was literally being pulled from markets in the Oceania and Japan regions due to the earthquake in that year. Oh, and while that was going on in the East, the PSN hack shit was going on in the West weeks after the game came out. Motorstorm Apocalypse release date was the most unfortunate timed game of all time.

Here's a take: Had Evolution made Motorstorm 4 instead of DriveClub, they would have sold at least $4+ million, and the studio would have been still alive today. I don't expect it, but it's a franchise (like many others in the PS3 era) that would have flourished on PS4.

Warhawk, Twisted Metal, Puppeteer, Playstation All Stars and Motorstorm deserved another chance on PS4, and they would have filled gaps in Sony's line-up. All of them would have been successful and made their money back too.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
London Studio has updated their website. It's exactly what I said for two months ago some people mocked me for theorizing a studio will return to normal console games.

"Technical director from VR team"

"Design director from VR team" (previously senior principal designer)

"Senior principal designer from New Entertainment team"

"I reached out to Liz Wyle to see if there might be a role well suited to my passions and experience, and the rest is history. We share a vision that video games are for everyone and that they have the power to tell the greatest stories of our generation. I hope to look back and see that our team has contributed to that mission in a meaningful way."

"Designer from New Entertainment team"

playstationlondonstudio.com

Meet Callum Langstroth, Narrative Designer - London Studio

How did you start at London Studio? As an Internal QA Tester on SingStar and...

"Senior producer from New Entertainment team"

"I coordinate the efforts of all the internal and external teams who are needed to bring a game to market."

New Entertainment is a new normal console games division. Rebooted and rebranded from Team Soho. Kind of similar way to how Japan Studio operates internally and externally. Flavourworks with Erica for example is a external project but the New Entertainment team is a internal team at London Studio.

Why did Shu axed Team Soho in 2008? Nothing has sold or reviewed great after The Getaway. 72 is quite mediocre but sold 5 million worldwide. Black Monday reviewed 57 and was only a small hit in the PAL market. It was the same with Gangs of London which reviewed 52 on Metacritic. Their quality went downhill rather than improve. Eight Days and The Getaway 3 had no chance to survive in development when the devs they had weren't talented enough.

Maybe in the future they might pick up that division with right people this time. And here we are now with new staff members.

New Entertainment team is also looking for a senior game designer.

Join us - London Studio

At PlayStation London Studio we always want more. More ideas, more passion, more talent. Are you interested in being a pioneer?

"PlayStation's London Studio is looking for a senior game designer to join an exciting team working on innovative interactive experiences designed for mainstream audiences. This is a generalist role with responsibilities spread across narrative design, feature design and definition, implementing and tuning mechanics as well as working alongside other designers to ensure delivery of a AAA experience."

"You are an expert in interactive narrative design and story structure.
You have extensive experience in implementing features and mechanics.
You have a good sense for what players want."

"You have extensive hands-on experience in contributing to the development of interactive narrative titles.
Hands-on experience integrating interactions and mechanics.
Portfolio that demonstrates ability to create satisfying mechanics."

"Unreal Engine experience.
Strong writing portfolio.
An eye for artistic detail.
Keen interest in cinema and photography."

This screams a second attempt for an open world London game. Gavin Moore told at GDC 2014 how they made The Getaway. Having interest for photography means they are going to take pictures for the game. But be aware that this doesn't mean they will revive The Getaway, that franchise is dead. They can create a new IP and be synonymous with high quality. These people who worked on The Getaway are long gone.

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
I'm beginning to think they're doing this out of sheer bullheadedness. ''Hey look we're the only ones making AAA singleplayer games!''. The competition next-gen from the more diverse Xbox Game Studios will do them good.
They are pushing that and saying they are for the hardcore gamer because people feel left out with what MS gave them this gen, which personally was a lackluster library of qaulity AAA games. Sony is pushing the single player narrative because 1. They do it very very well and 2. Because people see games like GOW, Spiderman, HZD, Death Stranding, Ghosts, TLOU 2, Days Gone etc and they want a piece of that pie.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Japan Studio needs a hit. All they make is obscure stuff that gets ignored outside partner games like TLG and Bloodborne. They are big enough to devote a team to big project and still have smaller projects in development.
They can't do nothing this gen when it was already over for them in 2017.

But I agree they need to look at what bombed and what worked. Manga/anime graphics (White Knight Chronicles stuff), cell shading, horror set in Japan with hide and run mechanics and Westernized games with low efforts can they remove. Obscure games like "Work fun time" was a bizarre novelty on portable device but it's a new age and time to move on.

They should get inspired by Capcom, Square Enix and Tango Gameworks. As for Ape Escape, look at Nintendo again.

Toyama and Team Silent had their eyes on Capcom when they decided for a horror game. Look at the big three companies and do differently. That's the key for success rather than stay in the obscurity of No Man's land.

Oct 26, 2018
mspoweruser.com

Phil Spencer says single-player games like Horizon Zero Dawn don't have the same impact as before

In a recent interview with The Guardian, Phil Spencer said that games like Overwatch which recently crossed 30 million players have more of an impact in terms of sales than single-player experiences such as Horizon Zero Dawn which sold a fraction of that. This wasn’t the case a few years ago...
At least get what Phil said right, he didn't say he doesn't care for single player games.
"The audience for those big story-driven games…I won't say it isn't as large, but they're not as consistent. You'll have things like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild or Horizon Zero Dawn that'll come out, and they'll do really well, but they don't have the same impact that they used to have because the big service-based games are capturing such a large amount of the audience. Sony's first-party studios do a lot of these games, and they're good at them, but outside of that, it's difficult–they've become more rare…It's a difficult business decision for those teams, you're fighting into more headwind. We've got to understand that if we enjoy those games, the business opportunity has to be there for them. I love story-based games. I just finished Thimbleweed Park…Inside was probably my game of last year. As an industry, I want to make sure both narrative-driven single-player games and service-based games have the opportunity to succeed. I think that's critical for us."
And then Matt booty said this:
In fact, with those studio acquisitions, with Ninja Theory, with Compulsion, if they end up deciding they want to make more games like Hellblade or We Happy Few – both primarily single-player games – if The Initiative comes back and says we want to make a game that doesn't even have a multiplayer component, then great. We want the teams to make the games that they feel are right.
And this is the end of that because this is very off topic and derails this thread

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan Studio needs a hit. All they make is obscure stuff that gets ignored outside partner games like TLG and Bloodborne. They are big enough to devote a team to big project and still have smaller projects in development.
I would like an Armored Core/Zone of the Enders game but with guerrilla warfare used against players in mechs. A largely multiplayer game with an exceedingly short single player portion that serves as a tutorial, much like Warhawk. The game would be Socom inspired but with mechs in addition to other vehicles and MUCH faster pace.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
London Studio has updated their website. It's exactly what I said for two months ago some people mocked me for theorizing a studio will return to normal console games.

"I reached out to Liz Wyle to see if there might be a role well suited to my passions and experience, and the rest is history. We share a vision that video games are for everyone and that they have the power to tell the greatest stories of our generation. I hope to look back and see that our team has contributed to that mission in a meaningful way."

"I coordinate the efforts of all the internal and external teams who are needed to bring a game to market."

New Entertainment is a new normal console games division. Rebooted and rebranded from Team Soho. Kind of similar way to how Japan Studio operates internally and externally. Flavourworks with Erica for example is a external project but the New Entertainment team is a internal team at London Studio.

Why did Shu axed Team Soho in 2008? Nothing has sold or reviewed great after The Getaway. 72 is quite mediocre but sold 5 million worldwide. Black Monday reviewed 57 and was only a small hit in the PAL market. It was the same with Gangs of London which reviewed 52 on Metacritic. Their quality went downhill rather than improve. Eight Days and The Getaway 3 had no chance to survive in development when the devs they had weren't talented enough.

Maybe in the future they might pick up that division with right people this time. And here we are now with new staff members.

Join us - London Studio

At PlayStation London Studio we always want more. More ideas, more passion, more talent. Are you interested in being a pioneer?

"PlayStation's London Studio is looking for a senior game designer to join an exciting team working on innovative interactive experiences designed for mainstream audiences. This is a generalist role with responsibilities spread across narrative design, feature design and definition, implementing and tuning mechanics as well as working alongside other designers to ensure delivery of a AAA experience."

"You have extensive hands-on experience in contributing to the development of interactive narrative titles.

This screams a second attempt for an open world London game. Gavin Moore told at GDC 2014 how they made The Getaway. Having interest for photography means they are going to take pictures for the game. But be aware that this doesn't mean they will revive The Getaway, that franchise is dead. They can create a new IP and be synonymous with high quality. These people who worked on The Getaway are long gone.
Yeah, I remember your post about the New Entertainment team. If that team is in pre production of a regular console game, will the VR team eventually join them? It seems a bit much for London Studio to develop two games simultaneously, esp. when one of the games might be non-vr open world.
It would be a shame if London studio stopped making VR games.

Nov 18, 2018

Join us - London Studio

It doesn't sound to me like the New Entertainment team are going back to normal console games. The first link says they're looking at live action storytelling, and that job posting talks a lot about interactive narrative as well. It sounds like they're doing more stuff like Erica, maybe trying to push that genre forward (as the name 'New Entertainment' would suggest). It'll be interesting to see what they're working on anyway.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That would require Sony to give them a big budget and proper marketing, like they do with their western studios.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Now I'd really love to hear what's GaaS especially about GoW, lol.
Just checked the definition of GaaS... I always thought that these types of games were about updating the games with new content like what Bend did with Days Gone or Polyphony with GTS. I should have known about the continued monetization/revenue part. Sorry if I misunderstood the term lol. My bad... 😅😅😅
The only game in your list you can really call gaas is GTS, 2 years of support with very minimal MTX, much less then pretty much any other gaas game. Days Gone updates is what we used to call supporting your game and rewarding your fans, now some people call it gaas. GoW is not even close to a gaas game, it was complete day 1 and has only had minor patches.

Fun fact Days Gone has had more content updates then Anthem
LOOOOOOOLLLLL 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just checked the definition of GaaS... I always thought that these types of games were about updating the games with new content like what Bend did with Days Gone or Polyphony with GTS. I should have known about the continued monetization/revenue part. Sorry if I misunderstood the term lol. My bad... 😅😅😅

God of War, apart from a photo mode (they weren't able to include at release) and new game plus mode (that many players were begging for) did not get any regular game updates and it had no DLC.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

LOOOOOOOLLLLL 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

GTS would still be GaaS even if the content is free.
Truth is the term is changing as companies try out different business models for it .
You can say the early form of GaaS were monthly paid MMO and F2P games.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Lol nop. GT Sport is kinda, but not really since u can disable the microtransactions, is just a game that receives alot of free updates. Is not really a service. GOW and Days Gone are complete single player games, thers nothing GAAS in them.
Yeah, GoW isn't GaaS.
I know now... after reading the definition. 😅
tenor.gif

God of War, apart from a photo mode (they weren't able to include at release) and new game plus mode (that many players were begging for) did not get any regular game updates and it had no DLC.
I know there wasn't any DLC, but didn't the game get new runes and new armor sets post-launch?
GTS would still be GaaS even if the content is free.
Truth is the term is changing as companies try out different business models for it .
You can say the early form of GaaS were monthly paid MMO and F2P games.
Does that mean Days Gone could technically be considered a GaaS-type of game ever since the Challenges update started? As it offers new content through additional modes, gears and customization items for his bike.

Last edited:

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Game wasn't lacking content so I fail to see what questionable state you talking bout. Unless you talking about the technical stuff which.. wouldn't have anything to do with free post launch content. Y'all say anything for this game

What free content did uc4 or horizon release that comes anywhere close to what bend is doing? Literally say anything just to be against the game I don't get it
Yes, I was talking about its many bugs and technical problems, which have been a topic of conversation since launch. The bulk of Bend's updates has focused on solving this. It is post-launch support by itself, and it's been released (obviously) for free. I don't understand how you reached the conclusion that any patch non-related to new content is excluded from the discussion. It would be up to anyone's interpretation, in any case, not your own criteria.

As far as I know, talking strictly about content, Bend's only released these weekly challenges (fantastic, either way), giving you access to new skins for you or your bike, plus the extra difficulty mode. Naughty Dog, on the other hand, published for free new maps, an entirely new cooperative mode with its own bosses, skins and rules, new characters, costumes and weapons. It's my opinion, that all this is not only close to, but surpasses what Bend's done until now.

Horizon, meanwhile, was praised in this same forum as exemplary for its continuous QoL improvements, including new difficulties, New Game+, additional Photo Mode options, better inventory management and many other small fixes. It didn't add content per se except for some new paints and armors, but I wasn't restricting the topic to that kind of addition. Having in mind the state in which the game released (almost flawless, if it needs to be said), I consider their work at least as commendable as Bend's. They could have ignored any request about it, being in such good place, and instead kept working on it for an extra year.

If you disagree with me, it's totally fine. That's how it should be. What I'm not going to do is getting into this "black or white" discussion, where anybody with a different opinion is part of some, I don't know, invisible army of negativity. You're free to say whatever's on your mind, so are we "all" (whoever they are, as I only speak for myself).

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
source.gif

The last Motorstorm game was sent to die in 2011. It was literally being pulled from markets in the Oceania and Japan regions due to the earthquake in that year. Oh, and while that was going on in the East, the PSN hack shit was going on in the West weeks after the game came out. Motorstorm Apocalypse release date was the most unfortunate timed game of all time.

Here's a take: Had Evolution made Motorstorm 4 instead of DriveClub, they would have sold at least $4+ million, and the studio would have been still alive today. I don't expect it, but it's a franchise (like many others in the PS3 era) that would have flourished on PS4.

Warhawk, Twisted Metal, Puppeteer, Playstation All Stars and Motorstorm deserved another chance on PS4, and they would have filled gaps in Sony's line-up. All of them would have been successful and made their money back too.

Motorstorm RC came out in 2012 and is the last Motorstorm. It and Pacific Rift also flopped in addition to Apocalypse. The only reason Motorstorm ever saw any slight success is because it was one of the few launch titles for PS3.

Another Motorstorm is the opposite of a guaranteed success.

Warhawk on the other hand needs to come back.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I know its not happening.. I know, but fuck... I want playstation all stars 2 to be announced so bad. I've waited for years, literally the entire PS4 generation. Imagine an EVO announcement. Fuuuuuck

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Join us - London Studio

London Studio is too small for two games. And way too small for an open-world game. They are mostly a VR studio. And they're getting a second team ready for external support to make games like "Erica" (FlavourWorks). So expect more small games like Erica. And SingStar will come to PS5, too. So there is that.
Well yeah, leave it at that. You won't see any "core" games (like Days Gone or Horizon Zero Dawn) from London Studio. It ain't happening.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
They should do that again!
And what amazing game it was, they should bring that back.

It has both the name and comercial sucess to bring to the AAA area and can offer the MP oportunity.

it was a cool game, and I agree that something in that mold but with today's standards could do really well.

But they dont seem suited for traditional development right now. I imagine an open world, ''GTA Like'' game would demand a big restructuring in that studio.

Maybe they could co-develop it alongside some other studio, like Sumo Digital or something

Jan 20, 2019
it was a cool game, and I agree that something in that mold but with today's standards could do really well.

But they dont seem suited for traditional development right now. I imagine an open world, ''GTA Like'' game would demand a big restructuring in that studio.

Maybe they could co-develop it alongside some other studio, like Sumo Digital or something

Yah, they whould probably need to increase the studio side to something like Guerrila Games to deliever that game and probably take around 4 to 5 years and then there is always the problem of GTA6.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
they made that game 17 years ago, its called The Getaway
I know Sony has ceased the #PS2PS4 initiative (I'm still hoping they deliver Max Payne 2), but I've no idea why they didn't bother putting The Getaway on PS4 with trophies. It was a really successful PS2 game. also EA not serving up SSX/Tricky/3 (or any of their games) is confusing and also a crying shame.

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018
London Studio is too small for two games. And way too small for an open-world game. They are mostly a VR studio. And they're getting a second team ready for external support to make games like "Erica" (FlavourWorks). So expect more small games like Erica. And SingStar will come to PS5, too. So there is that.
Well yeah, leave it at that. You won't see any "core" games (like Days Gone or Horizon Zero Dawn) from London Studio. It ain't happening.
Bend began this generenation with around 40 people. Now are 130.
So its not problem. They can begin work on two projects and hire new people.
Especially Shawn and Shu want big games.

Status
Not open for further replies.