• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
33833.jpgvsk5z.png

Keynote-wise it's probably true ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oh God. Another month of discusing what is a AAA game, and if DS is exclusive or not.
595542747201667073.png

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
So the Pre-order page for FFVII on EU PSN store no longer has the Playstation Exclusive label. Previously FFVII had the exclusive label and Death Stranding did not. Sony is really bad at this lol.

New interesting job listing.

Head of Global Portfolio & Acquisitions
at Sony Interactive Entertainment PlayStation (San Mateo, CA)

And another new job listing again from Sony.

Regional Manager, Global Partner Operations
at Sony Interactive Entertainment PlayStation (San Mateo, CA)

Please be someone that likes and cares about Japanese games for both.

z1yin9c

Nov 8, 2017
What's kind of fucked about HZD is that the climate change apocalyps was averted only for the entire world to be consumed by the machines of the man who helped save it in the first place. Basically fuck Ted Faro
It is the reality......when capitalism kicks in, accepting climate change can make money, or exploit more people....Climate crisis solved!!!
Also, human solves problems and mess up to cause problems and then solve them.....never ending story....Horizon just demonstrates it all

Kyle Barrett

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Did you bother reading what I said? As a DLC, the game is fantastic. If it was a straight new AAA as some claim, it would have gotten butchered rightfully so because it was the exact same game.

The overdone praising on era around the lost legacy is hilarious. You would think we're talking about a GOTG contender sometimes when reading this. Far worse characters, story, locations, and the best set piece is not an improved version of something that was iconic in Uncharted 2. I still don't get what made them think one of the most boring characters in the entire series Nadine should be a main character in the next game.

The gameplay is the fucking same lmao.. and what etc? It has nothing else other than pacing. It was a great, fun DLC. Stop trying to make it to be anything more than that.

Sorry to quote something just because someone else did.

I just wanted to chime in to say, I think everyone has a different perspective on it. And to you, looking at it as a DLC it's fantastic, but as a sequel it would have been poor. But what about if we didn't have Uncharted 4 at all, and then had TLL alone this generation?

I can tell you unequivocally that I feel the tone and writing was so much better in The Lost Legacy. Uncharted 4 was the product of a messy development, it came out brilliantly for what it was, but never felt coherent to me. It didn't feel like Uncharted either, it was too serious, too bogged down in trying to say something.

The Lost Legacy didn't introduce or have any baggage, it did what all the great Uncharted games have done which is play with characters we love and didn't try to decipher the psyche of said characters or introduce redundant characters. The characters fit clear pulpy archetypes and it was so much truer to the subject matter than 4 was in my eyes.

I like to think that when people gush about TLL, it's because of this. Not because it plays any differently or because it broke the mold in some way. It was just a true Uncharted in a way Uncharted 4 couldn't be.

Oct 27, 2017
Sony should seriously buy Housemarque. They would probably still make 3rd person shooters (yeah Sony won't stop I know) but more akin to Vanquish than TLoU.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Sorry to quote something just because someone else did.

I just wanted to chime in to say, I think everyone has a different perspective on it. And to you, looking at it as a DLC it's fantastic, but as a sequel it would have been poor. But what about if we didn't have Uncharted 4 at all, and then had TLL alone this generation?

I can tell you unequivocally that I feel the tone and writing was so much better in The Lost Legacy. Uncharted 4 was the product of a messy development, it came out brilliantly for what it was, but never felt coherent to me. It didn't feel like Uncharted either, it was too serious, too bogged down in trying to say something.

The Lost Legacy didn't introduce or have any baggage, it did what all the great Uncharted games have done which is play with characters we love and didn't try to decipher the psyche of said characters or introduce redundant characters. The characters fit clear pulpy archetypes and it was so much truer to the subject matter than 4 was in my eyes.

I like to think that when people gush about TLL, it's because of this. Not because it plays any differently or because it broke the mold in some way. It was just a true Uncharted in a way Uncharted 4 couldn't be.

Really? Wasn't Nadine one of the blandest and most disliked characters in the Uncharted series following UC4? Also they definitely tried to get into Chloe and Nadine's backgrounds and what brought them to how they are now.

"Deciphering the psyche" of characters is one of Uncharted's (and indeed Naughty Dog's) strong points, so I don't get your comment on that. Most characters in Uncharted fit pulpy archetypes, but that doesn't mean they have to be basic and unexplored.

Also iirc the reviews of UC4 actually praised the "trying to say something" aspect (relationship between Elena and Nate, Sam vs Nate). That certainly was not the reason its pacing was hurt, but instead the rest of the filler the game contained.

Ignoring this whole argument of DLC or not/AAA or not/whatever, TLL just didn't hit home for me at all.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
TLL always felt like a AA experience, similar to First Light and Hellblade.

That's not a knock against the game, but rather the budget, development time/team was smaller and the game had a smaller scope.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I feel like gen transitions are tough moments for these console manufacturers. Sony's silence is not a good thing whatever way you wanna slice it. But there's only 2 options in this situation, which is the way of ps3 to ps4 transition with many games on ps3 at the end and very little for ps4 launch but with a lot of momentum, but I think now they're putting their all into next gen and have a dry end for PS4

It kinda sucks end is making everyone else take the spotlight. It almost makes you forget about playstation, but I hope it'll all have been worth it when they show their cards. Would suck if they hadnt have much to show for.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I feel like gen transitions are tough moments for these console manufacturers. Sony's silence is not a good thing whatever way you wanna slice it. But there's only 2 options in this situation, which is the way of ps3 to ps4 transition with many games on ps3 at the end and very little for ps4 launch but with a lot of momentum, but I think now they're putting their all into next gen and have a dry end for PS4

It kinda sucks end is making everyone else take the spotlight. It almost makes you forget about playstation, but I hope it'll all have been worth it when they show their cards. Would suck if they hadnt have much to show for.

I think it's a good strategy, as they have yet to release two of the most anticipated games of the generation so far: Death Stranding and The Last Of Us 2. They will return to the spotlight when these games were released. There is still a good chance of good surprises appearing until the release of PS5 as well (Ghost Of Tsushima, Predator and MediEvil for example)

But I hope they're aware that this strategy only further increases the expectation for their next big event.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

You sound concerned.

How is Death Stranding, FFVII, TLou2, GoT, a dry end for the PS4?

What games are you planning to get?

Oct 25, 2017

Absolutely.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Seems like the PS4 is going out with a bang to me between FF7 Remake, Ghosts of Tsushima, Death Stranding, and TLoU Part 2.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I think it's a good strategy, as they have yet to release two of the most anticipated games of the generation so far: Death Stranding and The Last Of Us 2. They will return to the spotlight when these games were released. There is still a good chance of good surprises appearing until the release of PS5 as well (Ghost Of Tsushima, Predator and MediEvil for example)

But I hope they're aware that this strategy only further increases the expectation for their next big event.
Yeah that's what i'm thinking. I guess the whole silence period is making it feel that way for a moment. Just wanna see what they're cooking.
You sound concerned.

How is Death Stranding, FFVII, TLou2, GoT, a dry end for the PS4?
It's all too spread out which is why it feels dry. Not concerned. Have no investment in the company, just looking at the big picture. I wanna see more of death stranding as well. Can't gauge its impact yet.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yeah that's what i'm thinking. I guess the whole silence period is making it feel that way for a moment. Just wanna see what they're cooking.

It's all too spread out which is why it feels dry. Not concerned. Have no investment in the company, just looking at the big picture. I wanna see more of death stranding as well. Can't gauge its impact yet.

I mean, DS's probably gonna be a movie, right?

Oct 25, 2017

Death Stranding and TLOU2 and probably Ghost of Tsushima is hardly a dry ending. You are just used to them talking about games years in advance. Guaranteed they will announce at least two launch exclusives at PS5 reveal.

Jan 20, 2019
Sony has a big problen in 2020, but the lack of games is not one of them.

They have deals on the FF7 in march and Avengers in May in Cyberpunk in April.

If they are gonna release The Last of Us 2 in feb, leaving Ghost with 3 dates, June, Setp and November.

June is e3 and ps5 time, most likely the game will drop in Setp.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony has a big problen in 2020, but the lack of games is not one of them.

They have deals on the FF7 in march and Avengers in May in Cyberpunk in April.

If they are gonna release The Last of Us 2 in feb, leaving Ghost with 3 dates, June, Setp and November.

June is e3 and ps5 time, most likely the game will drop in Setp.

... I'm failing to see a problem?

Ghost will be 2nd half of 2020, maybe even a cross gen launch PS5 title.

Wakka212

Oct 30, 2017
TLL always felt like a AA experience, similar to First Light and Hellblade.

That's not a knock against the game, but rather the budget, development time/team was smaller and the game had a smaller scope.

By the same token, it was longer and mechanically deeper than a game like the Order 1886.

The game feels AA because most of the foundational technology, software, and artistic assets were already developed and, therefore, it was turned around faster and cheaper at $40. It's interesting because if it was developed from scratch it would be AAA.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I mean it feels like you are looking at the small picture instead.
Depends on how you look at it. If you restrict it to playstation, then it's all fine ofcourse, if that's your suggested bigger picture. I am counting the bigger gaming landscape into this. The silence is a strategy and it's obvious they've been sitting on these upcoming last games for years to release and like someone else said they stopped revealing new games for ps4. They're plan is to go full force with ps5 that much is obvious.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019

"The truth [is] they don't tell you that you have to work X amount of hours," the developer said. "But you have to get your work done. And the amount of work is just impossible for any person. It is just way too much. And if you don't hit the goals you will be fired. So I guess you don't have much of a choice."

The developer also claimed that they were reprimanded for missing a weekend shift and, in a different instance, for not working "at least 14 hour days". This was despite completing their "well done" work on time, the developer told COGconnected.

"I called Sony HR once (they have a hotline) asking what was this all about and they just ignored me [saying], 'You will get used to Naughty Dog's way of doing things,'" they said.

Very sad. Perhaps make a thread to discuss?

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
"The truth [is] they don't tell you that you have to work X amount of hours," the developer said. "But you have to get your work done. And the amount of work is just impossible for any person. It is just way too much. And if you don't hit the goals you will be fired. So I guess you don't have much of a choice."

The developer also claimed that they were reprimanded for missing a weekend shift and, in a different instance, for not working "at least 14 hour days". This was despite completing their "well done" work on time, the developer told COGconnected.

"I called Sony HR once (they have a hotline) asking what was this all about and they just ignored me [saying], 'You will get used to Naughty Dog's way of doing things,'" they said.

Very sad. Perhaps make a thread to discuss?
If TLOU2 release date is to go by then hopefully things have changed. This is a terrible culture to have in a company. Where they pretend you're not obliged but then made to feel terrible if you don't. A race to the bottom in the end.

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Dry end for the PS4? Wha??? The final year of the PS4 has Death Stranding, TLOU2, FF7:Remake, Ghost of Tsushima, Predator, Iron Man VR, Medievil and others as exclusives. Then top that off with a whole host of third party games on top of that and it's got one helluva sendoff.

This isn't just directed at you, but I'm continuously befuddled wen I see people talk about Sony's current silence (relatively speaking) because we've still gotten tons of info this year and we've got a LOT of great games to look forward to before the start of next gen. Compared to Microsoft who has been a lot more vocal about everything this year I think it's very clear cut that Sony is ending this gen on a far stronger footing by comparison.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on how you look at it. If you restrict it to playstation, then it's all fine ofcourse, if that's your suggested bigger picture. I am counting the bigger gaming landscape into this. The silence is a strategy and it's obvious they've been sitting on these upcoming last games for years to release and like someone else said they stopped revealing new games for ps4. They're plan is to go full force with ps5 that much is obvious.

The silence is more of a course correction because they've been attending every major events available for years to a point where they've shown too much stuff. Sony likes showmanship, they invite people to theaters to watch their E3 presentations for free. They don't really care about Direct style presentations. They can have a year of reset and return to the norm starting next year.

E3 also isn't really a public event, and they've said it doesn't really fit with what they're doing so they didn't attend. Gamescom and TGS both have public event and Sony is attending so I see it as consistent with their message.

PS5 is a main focus but PS4 is still going to be the main source of revenue for years to come. What's announced for PS5 is going to be playable for PS4. We've already heard rumors that will be the case for Scarlett.I don't see how you can deduce anything about the bigger gaming landscape from Sony not having any live conference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.