• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I don't believe Sony will buy a big studio like Insomniac.
Bluepoint, Housemarque, Kojima Productions are much more possible imo.

On the other side...Insomniac has also good VR experience and would be a suitable dev for PSVR2 games ;)

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to think of solid devs that wouldn't be outrageously expensive or owned by a large corporation

Sanzaru, Cyberconnect2, Platinum.

madridi-gh

Mar 25, 2018
I don't believe Sony will buy a big studio like Insomniac.
Bluepoint, Housemarque, Kojima Productions are much more possible imo.

On the other side...Insomniac has also good VR experience and would be a suitable dev for PSVR2 games ;)

Thats what I thought as well. Insomniac is the full package for sony right now.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
People should stop bringing up Insomniac because they simply don't want to be bought. They like being independent, and they have no problem getting work as an independent studio.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
giphy.gif

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody consider that new San Diego Studio could just be built to support multiplayer titles? At least in the interim before they grow enough to become a full blown studio. That's definitely one thing that ND could do better on.

Also, inb4 Sony announces Remedy as a new first party studio, along with Bluepoint.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Anybody consider that new San Diego Studio could just be built to support multiplayer titles? At least in the interim before they grow enough to become a full blown studio. That's definitely one thing that ND could do better on.

Also, inb4 Sony announces Remedy as a new first party studio, along with Bluepoint.
Nah, they were hiring for a 3rd person action/adventure game, and were hiring a lead character artist for "the next chapter of cinematic storytelling"

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
If I were Sony I'd try my best to get Insomniac. They were 3/3 on quality AAA games in a gen where many developers only released 1 game:

Sunset Overdrive
Ratchet and Clank
Spider-Man

Oct 27, 2017
Thats what I thought as well. Insomniac is the full package for sony right now.

Just like Ready at Dawn who made the best rated PC VR game (Lone Echo) and is working on a mysterious console AAA.

Who is there available yet?

No one mention them maybe because they are already loyal to PlayStation but I'd love Falcom to become a first party, with Sony helping them to grow in order to push the technical/visual side a little further :)

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
People should stop bringing up Insomniac because they simply don't want to be bought. They like being independent, and they have no problem getting work as an independent studio.
I could swear Ted said (maybe around SpiderMan release?) that Insmoniac don't mind the idea of being bought if the right price is there, and people here brought it up a lot and the contrast between that response and the one years before. I just can't find that statement when I search for it.
For those out of the loop could you expand on this a little? Thanks.
Jim Ryan said Sony is looking into acquiring studios, then Benji tweeted that they're indeed looking into it and Zhuge retweeted the news. Both have a very solid track record.

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands
Housemarque makes sense because they seemed to be having trouble surviving independently. RAD wouldn't surprise me that much either, but any other studios I'd be very surprised about. I hope there won't be any acquisitions just out of fear of Microsoft/Google.

Oct 25, 2017
Bluepoint is a steal for Sony. Making remakes of classic PS1 and PS2 games is huge. Every time Bluepoint announces a new game it could potentially be a megaton.

PS1:
ps1-912x456.jpg

PS2:
maxresdefault.jpg

Now, where's my Army Men 3D Sony?

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could swear Ted said (maybe around SpiderMan release?) that Insmoniac don't mind the idea of being bought if the right price is there, and people here brought it up a lot and the contrast between that response and the one years before. I just can't find that statement when I search for it.

Jim Ryan said Sony is looking into acquiring studios, then Benji tweeted that they're indeed looking into it and Zhuge retweeted the news. Both have a very solid track record.

Thanks. I thought you were talking about a specific studio and went looking to no avail.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Bluepoint is a steal for Sony. Making remakes of classic PS1 and PS2 games is huge. Every time Bluepoint announces a new game it could potentially be a megaton.

PS1:
ps1-912x456.jpg

PS2:
maxresdefault.jpg

Now, where's my Army Men 3D Sony?

Yep!
Among Insomniac in my opinion Bluepoint would be the best studio Sony could invest.
I mean the amount of content Sony has on their hands is insane and could fill any gaps on genres they might be lacking on new games...

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
hmm makes you wonder if they are working on the new Horizon or that MP rumour and job stuff may lead to a NEW MP IP by GG?

like how Ninja Theory is doing Bleeding Edge

They're most likely working on two games. We know Simon Larouche is a Game Director for an unannounced game at Guerrilla. It's hard to imagine that he's heading up H2 instead of de Jonge.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
They're most likely working on two games. We know Simon Larouche is a Game Director for an unannounced game at Guerrilla. It's hard to imagine that he's heading up H2 instead of de Jonge.
it is just that the art station account for that new employee is MP character focused (overwatch, OCs, etc..)

I remember back people assumed the second project (if there is one) would be a KZ due to MP hiring or whatever but I can see it being a new MP only IP

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
it is just that the art station account for that new employee is MP character focused (overwatch, OCs, etc..)

I remember back people assumed the second project (if there is one) would be a KZ due to MP hiring or whatever but I can see it being a new MP only IP

I think most are expecting Simon's game to be multiplayer. His history is in multiplayer, from designing KZ2's maps to directing Rainbow Six Siege. And Sony's been open about wanting to do better in the multiplayer space. Given how successful RBS has been, it makes complete sense for Sony to fund a new multiplayer IP from him.

Oct 25, 2017

Why MP only? Guerrilla can take what they learned from Horizon and make a really FPS campaign. They are leaving an entire segment of their market out by going MP only.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
It's tough to believe that TLOU2 will be releasing almost 7 years after the original. I remember thinking that there would be a sequel early into the PS4's life (this was when ND was releasing a new game at the cadence of 2 years). Now here we are speaking about PS5.

Oct 25, 2017
It's tough to believe that TLOU2 will be releasing almost 7 years after the original. I remember thinking that there would be a sequel early into the PS4's life (this was when ND was releasing a new game at the cadence of 2 years). Now here we are speaking about PS5.

There would have been if Hennig's Uncharted didn't fall apart.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Sony doesn't own the IP for most of those games. Especially the most popular ones.

True, but they own some nice IP's that could be worked on: Motorstorm, Twisted Metal, Ape Escape, ICO, SOCOM, tons of JRPG's (Dark Cloud, Legend of Dragoon, Alundra, Wild Arms, WKC)

But I think they would be great doing new IP's too.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Benji tweeted about the acquisition and ZhugeEX retweeted the news. I'm not sure if I'm just looking too much into it, or somethings are already in motion and they know about it.

I wouldn't read into those tweets.
I retweeted it because it's news and Benji probably did the same.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Why MP only? Guerrilla can take what they learned from Horizon and make a really FPS campaign. They are leaving an entire segment of their market out by going MP only.

The same reason they made a SP only game?
So they can put their full focus on that one aspect and not have it compromised by the other.

That's what you get for letting yourselves get excited, ponies.

Oct 25, 2017

But you wouldn't have retweeted it if you thought it to be inaccurate.

The same reason they made a SP only game?
So they can put their full focus on that one aspect and not have it compromised by the other.

Considering Guerrilla has made 3(4) Killzone games with SP and MP if it would take compromise to put together a full package at this point I have to wonder why. If they pull it off so be it, but the Siege and Overwatch MP successes are rare. Not including battle royal games which I really hope they aren't doing.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017

It was in the interview for the 20-year of Insomniac with IGN that Ted Price said that.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
because battle arena like FPS games are popular right now and said games usually don't focus on SP modes let alone story modes

maybe a tournament like sp could work though

if GG wanted to focus on SP story then they have the other team doing Horizon, etc...

can't see resources being used for both their bigger now but doing such for that other team would take needed resources/workers away from Horizon I feel

Oct 25, 2017
because battle arena like FPS games are popular right now and said games usually don't focus on SP modes let alone story modes

maybe a tournament like sp could work though

It's not hard to do both though and they have the talent to do both. I'll wait to see what they come up with before making any judgement, but no SP would make it much less likely for me to buy it to even try the MP.

TiG

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.