• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Having PS4 announced games is kinda of a given.
Just last month they announced a Predator game, and the month before a Iron Man VR game.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Playground yes. Ninja Theory and Obsidian not, imo.

Obsidian has 170 employees, they are bigger than any studio bought from MS, they have the manpower for an AAA game.

Ninja Theory is still split in smaller teams, Bleeding Edge team, Hellblade team and another one working on another smaller AA game.
Ninja Theory made AAA games during the PS3/Xbox 360 era.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Obsidian has 170 employees, they are bigger than any studio bought from MS, they have the manpower for an AAA game.

Ninja Theory is still split in smaller teams, Bleeding Edge team, Hellblade team and another one working on another smaller AA game.

Yeah, but obsidians output doesn't scream AAA. More like a AA studio

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Yeah, but obsidians output doesn't scream AAA. More like a AA studio

Obsidian output doesn't scream AAA because they splitted the team to work on several projects and do work for hire, just like Ninja Theory.
Pillars of Eternity was made by a small team and they used Kickstarter for that project and The Outer Worlds is thanks to Private Division a publisher that focuses on AA games and not AAA. When you lack funding you can't go AAA and sink the studio, Ninja Theory had the same problems, InXile as well.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Takes much more people to make a AAA games nnow unless you going wait good a while.
I expected NT to grow but don't think we will see a AAA game from then until 2022 ( if they already had a IP in mind )

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Gaming is in a weird place right now. If the industry is falling into subscription models, what you see on film or TV, is that mergers or (forbidden word coming) acquisitions are made because of licenses, not workforce. When Disney buys an studio, is primarily to deal a blow to the competition, and gain control of an extended catalogue.

In video games, as we've seen, you don't need to own the studio you're working with, in order to be the only rights holder, of the resulting license. There's no need to buy such studio, as the most valuable asset is its licenses, and you already have them. The point of no return is when another party wants to buy that same studio; then you're losing a partner, and might be forced to change the terms of relation. Until that happens, I don't see the point of any acquisition.

I'm surprised by the expansion coming from other studios, as they're investing in people, more than licenses. To that end, they could have followed a similar route to SIE: more employees for your already established companies. For example, it makes sense to buy the company behind Star Wars, if all you want is exploiting that license. However, some studios bought recently in this industry lack any license that would make them attractive. They're betting on talent, but people can easily come and go, ending with a shell company (ask EA).

It will be interesting to see what PlayStation does here. The expansion based on talent is already happening in most of their studios. Wherever they go after that, I think IPs should be taken into account.

Morrowbie

Oct 28, 2017
In video games, as we've seen, you don't need to own the studio you're working with, in order to be the only rights holder, of the resulting license. There's no need to buy such studio, as the most valuable asset is its licenses, and you already have them.

This is the thing. Sony is currently employing people to work at Insomniac. If MS bought them there would still clearly be a Spider-Man 2 for Sony before production shifted to MS-only games. And with that sort of lead time Sony would be able to begin setting up a new studio to siphon off Insomniac staff that wanted to stay on board with Spider-Man and R&C IPs. If Ted Price sold the company it would most likely be to retire. As Pariah said, you can easily end up with a shell in an acquisition. Then you have to build something new anyway but from a position where there's already lots of people to pay...

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Sorry lol.
Going to be interesting to see how fast they going ramp up to bring out AAA games.
Sony also doing the same thing with there studios but they already bigger right now.

Microsoft is doing what Sony did years and decades ago, buying studios and being serious about Xbox. Sony already did this and they are in a much better position.
I really want both MS and Sony to be extremely competitive next-gen and i welcome every acquisition from both parties.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
When is the video game industry not in a weird place?
Well, then let's say it's an even weirder place. ;) Though the business model seemed more or less the same, during these last ten, fifteen years. Aside of MTx, things hadn't changed much since 2005, or earlier. Now there's a much more fragmented, unpredictable scenario.

This is the thing. Sony is currently employing people to work at Insomniac. If MS bought them there would still clearly be a Spider-Man 2 for Sony before production shifted to MS-only games. And with that sort of lead time Sony would be able to begin setting up a new studio to siphon off Insomniac staff that wanted to stay on board with Spider-Man and R&C IPs. If Ted Price sold the company it would most likely be to retire. As Pariah said, you can easily end up with a shell in an acquisition. Then you have to build something new anyway but from a position where there's already lots of people to pay...
My point exactly. It's a complicated subject, and the risks are greater than they might seem from outside.

Last edited:

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
things hadn't changed much since 2005, or earlier

You know what changed? Development cost.

Making AAA games is starting to become a very long and expensive business and if you look at the bigger picture all the AAA publishers are either hiring, partnering with other studios and opening studios.

Square Enix is a prime example, they can't find talent in Japan and they partner with various studios to deliver games every fiscal year:
- People Can Fly new game
- Dying Light 2 publishing deal and this is going to be huge
- Square Enix Collective for indie games
- Opening a new Crystal Dynamics studio
- Expanding Eidos Montreal for Avengers
etc...

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Acquisition discussions can be interesting, but it's never or rarely ever interesting whenever it's discussed here.

Because more often than not it's often brought up in the context of MS - and nothing else outside of the mindset of 'what's the counter move.'

Some of you brought up a few pages back - the 'precedence of how SIE' did things in the past, as a foretelling of the future. I mean, even in the past one year, we can already see parts where that is not true. The "Sony of old" would never have funded Spider-Man, Iron-Man and Predator, having a history post-PS2 era of prioritising their own IP at almost all cost.

Or how the 'assumption' that Sony will continue to have laser-focus on narrative SP games and nothing else has shifted when Sony openly admits they're lacking in that space and plans to make investments in that area - debunking the myth that Sony was "happy" to concede that to third-party devs. Nonsense.

It's hard to tell at this stage - where Sony will go/broaden up/etc in terms of their first-party. At the risk of sounding like a corporate fanboy, it ultimately boils down to one simple thing too. At a certain point, if you have some measure of 'faith' in a platform holder, you do have to trust that they are not blind to their competition and evolving market landscapes, and will make moves to ensure that they are - at the very least, competitive enough to have the portfolio and frequency of game releases that meet the customer expectations.

That's not to say they will succeed. But this gen alone has shown us - winners and losers in terms of game dev/publishing ambitions ( Capcom/Nintendo's wins and EA/Blizzard's failures )

Oct 30, 2017
First: where is the Insomniac being bought by MS came from?

Second: People seriously expecting Sony to sell their IPs developed by them to MS or to the team itself? lolz based on QD case only? no chance not going to happen.

3rd: If Insomniac is going first party it will be with the Company they worked their whole career developing for and have MASSIVE success with, these two match made in heaven.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
First: where is the Insomniac being bought by MS came from?

Second: People seriously expecting Sony to sell their IPs developed by them to MS or to the team itself? lolz based on QD case only? no chance not going to happen.

3rd: If Insomniac is going first party it will be with the Company they worked their whole career developing for and have MASSIVE success with, these two match made in heaven.

Came from some fanboy just speculating.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
You know what changed? Development cost.
(Apologies in advance for cutting your message, I'm going to focus on this sentence). I see your point, and I think there's reason in what you suggest, but, from another perspective, could we really regard it as change? Because to me, it seems more like a constant, for video games and also other businesses. If we go back to the 90s, developing a SNES game or later a PSX game, the cost for any of these projects was a fraction in time, budget, any other metric we use, of what a similar product would take, on PS2 onwards.

It's a rising balloon, or a bubble that's been bursting from time to time, taking some companies with it. I'd say what's changing is the solution for this illness, not the illness itself. Examples as you've mentioned, plus offshoring, or massive outsorcing (now in the credits for every big game there's a multitude of Asian companies doing subterranean work). These solutions hadn't drastically changed how a company introduced a product to the audience: they sold it to you at a suggested price, put it on sale after a time and then released a sequel, expansion, etc. The product remained tangible, always accesible. Now, I think the product is becoming more disposable, with revenue models diversifying and "temporary" access, becoming as important as ownership.

Is this other change forced by rising costs, or a consequence of technological advancements? I honestly don't know, though my guess is, these companies always need more and more, so they will take any available chance to increase their revenue, and make their shareholders happy. Whatever happens, the rest of us will surely adapt.

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
Acquisition discussions can be interesting, but it's never or rarely ever interesting whenever it's discussed here.

Because more often than not it's often brought up in the context of MS - and nothing else outside of the mindset of 'what's the counter move.'

Some of you brought up a few pages back - the 'precedence of how SIE' did things in the past, as a foretelling of the future. I mean, even in the past one year, we can already see parts where that is not true. The "Sony of old" would never have funded Spider-Man, Iron-Man and Predator, having a history post-PS2 era of prioritising their own IP at almost all cost.

Or how the 'assumption' that Sony will continue to have laser-focus on narrative SP games and nothing else has shifted when Sony openly admits they're lacking in that space and plans to make investments in that area - debunking the myth that Sony was "happy" to concede that to third-party devs. Nonsense.

It's hard to tell at this stage - where Sony will go/broaden up/etc in terms of their first-party. At the risk of sounding like a corporate fanboy, it ultimately boils down to one simple thing too. At a certain point, if you have some measure of 'faith' in a platform holder, you do have to trust that they are not blind to their competition and evolving market landscapes, and will make moves to ensure that they are - at the very least, competitive enough to have the portfolio and frequency of game releases that meet the customer expectations.

That's not to say they will succeed. But this gen alone has shown us - winners and losers in terms of game dev/publishing ambitions ( Capcom/Nintendo's wins and EA/Blizzard's failures )
Actually Sony has a story of working on other media's IPs
think of 24 the game on ps2 or Doctor Who on ps3/vita

But yeah there seemes to be a bigger effort this time

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Disaffected PlayStation fans, when was the last time you felt the urge to leave team blue and embrace the green?

Myself, it's been constant since E3 2018. The tenacity of my desire grew as I missed out on the fun of Crackdown 3.

The jealousy of reading about leaks of unsubstantiated rumors about what their next generation machine will look like.

Tell me, how long do you think you can hold out? I'm giving PlayStation until the end of this week. They need to buy a studio, purchase a third party exclusive, or update PS Plus to be 6 PS4 games.

Join me, disaffected PlayStation fans. We cannot let anyone go a minute without remembering what it was like when we got excited about Team Blue and where we may go next!

Sony hasn't commited to anything. And using Azure for certain services is not the same as using xCloud for PS Now, xCloud relies on Xbox One S blades right now. That is totally useless for PS Now. If anything, it's far more likely Sony will co-locate their own server hardware in Azure data centers

I should have made clearer.

"No, they will not be using xCloud. There is not a rumor that PlayStation will be using xCloud infrastructure. Sony came to an agreement with Microsoft to use Azure cloud services."

Which is what youclarified above. I thought I should clarify, but it was late and I went to sleep. Lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Disaffected PlayStation fans, when was the last time you felt the urge to leave team blue and embrace the green?

Myself, it's been constant since E3 2018. The tenacity of my desire grew as I missed out on the fun of Crackdown 3.

The jealousy of reading about leaks of unsubstantiated rumors about what their next generation machine will look like.

Tell me, how long do you think you can hold out? I'm giving PlayStation until the end of this week. They need to buy a studio, purchase a third party exclusive, or update PS Plus to be 6 PS4 games.

Join me, disaffected PlayStation fans. We cannot let anyone go a minute without remembering what it was like when we got excited about Team Blue and where we may go next!
Nice one. That pretty much sums up the embarrassment that's been going on here.

Don't understand why people can't be excited about E3 without Sony attending there even if they own only PlayStation. There are third parties showcasing amazing games and even at Xbox briefing there are gonna be some exciting games that all of us can play. Cyberpunk, Elden Ring, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Avengers, Tales of Arise... I look forward to those showcases. And if you're lucky and own multiple platforms, there are even more interesting stuff to look forward to. Now that Sony is not attending, E3 is ruined to some smh.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017

Lol, more/less.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
Tkceb2Y.gif

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017

I should have made clearer.

"No, they will not be using xCloud. There is not a rumor that PlayStation will be using xCloud infrastructure. Sony came to an agreement with Microsoft to use Azure cloud services."

Which is what youclarified above. I thought I should clarify, but it was late and I went to sleep. Lol.
AppropriateCheeryAfricanjacana-size_restricted.gif

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019

Lol pretty much

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018

Japan Studio have around 400 people. And they not made AAA games.
I think these studios will be make AA games by few teams.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Sold my Xbox One back in 2014 (it was useless), but the Game Pass and its potential evolution could make me buy the next Xbox. Anyway, the MS conference should have some PS4/PS5 games !

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
User Banned (1 Day): Trolling across a multitude of threads
I think I'll just buy the new xbox so that it wouldn't be too embarrassing to discuss E3 2019 with others.

For the first time ever, it feels like we've been betrayed by the gaming gods who we've worshiped for so many years.
Even though we knew our god is evil now, we never left him but what we got is no TLOU2 trailer and no Astro Bot 2 announcement.
Meanwhile the other team is getting new studios, new IP, next gen info.

DCN_ml_WsAAMhRD.jpg

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
This thread is embarrassing, and yet i feel compelled to keep checking in - especially with the MS presser later today - should provide a good few laughs.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
If Cory already started teasing the next God of War, I think he's pretty much working on it. There was a chance that he's doing a new IP.

Even if he's not directing the game he'd still be involved on some level since he mapped out the story for this section of the franchise. I still lean more him working on a new IP. We know Sony wants to expand their existing studios, and Santa Monica is one that at one time at least did just that, it just didn't work out the way they expected. With all the hiring they've been doing as of late, it certainly seems like there's more going on there than just making the next GoW.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
New IPs can be pretty stressful, after the time he had on God of war I could understand possibly doing the sequel as well . But I think it's more likely they'll keep the new director for each game thing going .

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no "QD case". Sony still owns Beyond: Two Souls or Detroit: Become Human. They own these IPs.
Because Japan Studio has "only" 200 devs. And like 4 - 5 teams. One team is like 35 - 60 devs (see Knack 1 and 2).

Last edited:

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

Japan studios is splitted in several small studios that's why.

Creative Assembly for example has 560 people and they have 6-7 small studios working on different games, they don't use all the workforce for one project.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
There is no "QD case". Sony still owns Beyond: Two Souls or Detroit: Become Human. They own these IPs.
Indeed. It was recently confirmed somewhere QD licensed all 3 IPs from Sony to self-publish them. Sony doesn't sell IPs, Sony doesn't publish themselves on PC. They simply arbitrarily allow some of their external partners now to license the IPs they worked on to bring them to another platform. PC only in that case as Sony doesn't see the PC as a competing platform, unlike Xbox. They don't really care what console warriours think about the term exclusive, they said again and again they don't compete with PC (see cross platform). Sony gets royalties from the license and their external partners get more exposure - win win. Don't expect any first party in-house titles as the motivation isn't there.

Will something big like Bloodborne or Spiderman happen on PC one day? Only if Sony says so and it is impossible to tell if they will, so just chill out and see what happens. But the bigger the game the more unlikely it is for obvious strategic reasons. Personally I fully expect Death Stranding to show up on PC at some point because Kojima likes PC and has the pull

Oct 25, 2017
That is the big issue with all of it. We'll be seeing more of that today with MS' conference. It will all be framed with what they did or didn't do to make a comeback and outdo Sony.

Like, instead of buying Insomniac for the "Woah!" factor, Sony could look into a competent MP dev that would fit with their plan to give MP gaming more attention. Something like that wouldn't get the blood pumping for folk though.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Sony will be buying many studios in the near future. They're expanding nearly every major studio and have been for the last couple of years to the point they're gonna have several rather massive AAA studios spread across the world. Even Sony Bend has tripled in size and will probably keep on doing so thanks to the success of Days Gone. If anything we'll see multiple games coming from well known studios or perhaps creating entirely new teams like we've seen them already doing. At best I could see Sony picking up some long time collaborators like Bluepoint.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I don't think Sony will be buying many studios in the near future. They're expanding nearly every major studio and have been for the last couple of years to the point they're gonna have several rather massive AAA studios spread across the world. Even Sony Bend has tripled in size and will probably keep on doing so thanks to the success of Days Gone. If anything we'll see multiple games coming from well known studios or perhaps creating entirely new teams like we've seen them already doing. At best I could see Sony picking up some long time collaborators like Bluepoint.
Ya it's obvious a part of Sony's plan is to continue with collaborations. We also know they've opened a new studio, as well as seem focused on expanding existing ones. I'm not sure if they plan on acquiring new studios, but they've been stellar this past gen at collaborating with devs for exclusives. More so now than ever Sony understand their bread and butter has been their SP narrative based exclusives, so with that said I'm not worried about whether or not they'll be able to deliver on that front next gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.