• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
We'll see what happens. But I believe Insomniac got 2 studios(?). The second one could possibly been working on another Ratchet at the same time as Spider-Man.

They do. I remember someone from Insomniac saying that everyone was on Spider-Man but I think it's definitely possible there was a small team working on something else (like that VR game they are also making for example).

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just saw that one insider was just speculating lol.
Assume Death Stranding is exclusive to PlayStation.
Buy PS4 or PS5
If it releases anywhere else, you only have yourself to blame.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Because these projects are probably close to half a billion in cost when you include marketing. Pushing the new console is important, but not by fucking over your profit margins. If you look at the last 2 gens (PS4, PS3). Sony didn't throw many huge profile games in the first 2 years of the console cycle. We're talking here about 3 (even 4 if GT is done right) +10 million sellers that are going to sell significantly less and these studios won't be able to put another one game in 2-3 years.

Now Sony can of course focus on just pushing the next console especially if they really need something to push it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony make 2 of these at least cross gen (Sony did say they expect the majority of profit in the next 3 years to be from PS4) with the PS5 having the superior version as a selling point, while depending on smaller projects from Japan Studios and 2nd party to fill in the gap of full exclusives. Once the console reaches a good user base then bigger projects can be released on the console without feat of drastic drop in sales numbers.
Why do you think they will sell less if they are next gen only? Bigger instal base doesn't guarantee better sales just more potential buyers, these early exclusives (specially highly rated ones) will be picked up when buying the new console, I don't see their sales taking a hit, using them to push the new console means locking users to your ecosystem which means long term profit while it's the opposite for crossgen games.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you think they will sell less if they are next gen only? Bigger instal base doesn't guarantee better sales just more potential buyers, these early exclusives (specially highly rated ones) will be picked up when buying the new console, I don't see their sales taking a hit, using them to push the new console means locking users to your ecosystem which means long term profit while it's the opposite for crossgen games.

There are definitely games that benefit from being launch exclusives, Snipperclips is a multi million seller on switch and i doubt that game gets 1/4th of that as a normal PS4/XBO/Switch/PC game that gets lost in the shuffle after a few days.

A game like Horizon 2 launching in 2020/2021 would probably be a much more difficult decision, you've still got millions of potential sales left in the PS4 for that game. But if its a 2022+ game it's probably a PS5 exclusive regardless.

Oct 25, 2017
Exclusives are meant to push the system. PS5 will need those exclusives to push units.

I also don't think a big base necessarily means all those users are still active. The PS3 had a massive lead over PS4 with some of those first multiplat games but the PS4 smoked the PS3 sales. Folk may be ready to transition to PS5 by the time it comes out (fall 2020).

I am very confident in unannounced games like Horizon 2 and God of War 2 being PS5 exclusive.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There are definitely games that benefit from being launch exclusives, Snipperclips is a multi million seller on switch and i doubt that game gets 1/4th of that as a normal PS4/XBO/Switch/PC game that gets lost in the shuffle after a few days.

A game like Horizon 2 launching in 2020/2021 would probably be a much more difficult decision, you've still got millions of potential sales left in the PS4 for that game. But if its a 2022+ game it's probably a PS5 exclusive regardless.
Yeah, any AAA game launching the first year will most likely be crossgen, beyond that though? Doubt we'll see them.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
I think that studios like GG and SSM who consistently push the boundaries of tech would not be happy if they were told to make cross-gen games. These studios pour their hearts into their titles and it shows.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
If the game is as good, and the system is as appealing then these potential buyers would turn into more sales, no? Selling 10+ millions while releasing in the launch period is a very tough thing to do. You'd need an insane attach rate to do so. You can do that on a Nintendo console because that's what the console is for. People getting into the PS do so for other reason as well like third party games.

You can't reasonably expect the huge launches GoW and SpiderMan had last year on a console with 25-30 millions user base. Sony knows that. I'm not saying all these 4 are going to be cross-gen, but maybe the first 2 to release will be.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Because these projects are probably close to half a billion in cost when you include marketing. Pushing the new console is important, but not by fucking over your profit margins. If you look at the last 2 gens (PS4, PS3). Sony didn't throw many huge profile games in the first 2 years of the console cycle. We're talking here about 3 (even 4 if GT is done right) +10 million sellers that are going to sell significantly less and these studios won't be able to put another one game in 2-3 years.

Now Sony can of course focus on just pushing the next console especially if they really need something to push it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony make 2 of these at least cross gen (Sony did say they expect the majority of profit in the next 3 years to be from PS4) with the PS5 having the superior version as a selling point, while depending on smaller projects from Japan Studios and 2nd party to fill in the gap of full exclusives. Once the console reaches a good user base then bigger projects can be released on the console without feat of drastic drop in sales numbers.
Where are you pulling these numbers from other than your ass? Nothing Sony has made has went into 500m or close to it.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
PS4 games already have crazy production values, i'd much rather have a cross gen 2020/2021 Horizon/God of War sequel than a PS5 exclusive God of War where you can see extra pores in Aloy's skin and takes an extra year or two to make. I'm sick of waiting 4-6 years for games, i want the games to come out faster.

The funny thing is that if the PS5 is truly capable of Ray-Tracing, then next-gen only games would need less time than current gen games since a TON of dev time goes into baking in lighting and making light maps for games.

Also devs already develop high quality assets and then scale them down to current gen settings, which also take time. Devs would most likely skip that step with a powerful next gen system.

There's also optimizations that need to be done to get games running on current gen, due to several bottlenecks in the current consoles. If they can get rid of those bottlenecks, which seems to be the goal of the PS5, much less time will be needed to be spent optimizing games.

I can keep going, but you should get the gist by now.. while games are indeed getting bigger, there will be a lot of technology in the next gen consoles that will make devs' lives easier.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
No. Like I said before, Quantic Dreams' games are the exception not the rule. Them being on PC has more to do with Sony burning bridges with QD than anything else. As for Marvel's Iron Man and Spider-Man, they are system drivers/sellers. Spider-Man alone was proof of that. Besides, Marvel, Sony and Insomniac games have been adamant about it being a permanent exclusive. As for Death Stranding, I can also confirm that it is a full exclusive with no PC version in sight (got info from a close source). I am willing to bet my avatar for that and will keep that avatar until E3 2021 if I am wrong.
Oh wow.

That changes a fair bit.

Hopefully that source is accurate, and we can move on from this topic.

Also, maybe raise the stakes and bet on a ban tho

:p

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No. Like I said before, Quantic Dreams' games are the exception not the rule. Them being on PC has more to do with Sony burning bridges with QD than anything else. As for Marvel's Iron Man and Spider-Man, they are system drivers/sellers. Spider-Man alone was proof of that. Besides, Marvel, Sony and Insomniac games have been adamant about it being a permanent exclusive. As for Death Stranding, I can also confirm that it is a full exclusive with no PC version in sight (got info from a close source). I am willing to bet my avatar for that and will keep that avatar until E3 2021 if I am wrong.
Huge if true. But why should we believe you?

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Where are you pulling these numbers from other than your ass? Nothing Sony has made has went into 500m or close to it.
I'm talking about all of these games combined not just one. AAA projects costing +100 millions when you include marketing for next gen should be expected. Current gen AAA games are already hitting that.
Launch exclusives will have better legs because of less competition, they might not have as big of a launch as their previous games but long term they will do better.
Will these better legs make up for 5x the user base? doubt it. These are not Nintendo games where if you don't buy them you might as well not buy the console. People buying PS5 after 1 year of Horizon 2 release for example are going to have other options from 3rd party to pick from.

Last edited:

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If the game is as good, and the system is as appealing then these potential buyers would turn into more sales, no? Selling 10+ millions while releasing in the launch period is a very tough thing to do. You'd need an insane attach rate to do so. You can do that on a Nintendo console because that's what the console is for. People getting into the PS do so for other reason as well like third party games.

You can't reasonably expect the huge launches GoW and SpiderMan had last year on a console with 25-30 millions user base. Sony knows that. I'm not saying all these 4 are going to be cross-gen, but maybe the first 2 to release will be.
Launch exclusives will have better legs because of less competition, they might not have as big of a launch as their previous games but long term they will do better.

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
Will Japan studio ever top Shadow of the Colossus ? i just finished The Last Guardian, it's a good and beautiful game but i excpected it to be better, and sometimes the controls and camera are a real pain lol

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I think that studios like GG and SSM who consistently push the boundaries of tech would not be happy if they were told to make cross-gen games. These studios pour their hearts into their titles and it shows.
Yup. Same with Naughty Dog. There's no way their game being pre-produced now while they finish up TLOU2 isn't being planned as a PS5 exclusive. Their bread and butter is being at the forefront of gaming tech.

Exclusives are meant to push the system. PS5 will need those exclusives to push units.

I also don't think a big base necessarily means all those users are still active. The PS3 had a massive lead over PS4 with some of those first multiplat games but the PS4 smoked the PS3 sales. Folk may be ready to transition to PS5 by the time it comes out (fall 2020).

I am very confident in unannounced games like Horizon 2 and God of War 2 being PS5 exclusive.
Same.
Those are two games likely to push lots of people to upgrade to PS5. Plus both likely only went into full production after the switch over to PS5 began. Frozen Wilds still needed to be finished after HZD came out and especially God of War since the last one is barely a year old.
I feel like Sony's going to bring games built specifically for the hardware of the PS5 as quickly as they can, just like they have before. And it should be even faster this time with keeping the same dev environment/architecture.

Last edited:

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
I think the likes of SSM, Naughty Dog, Guerilla etc got a lot of say these days so Sony won't just walk over them.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get where this narrative about first party games being cross gen in the system's early years came from anyway.

Surely this didn't happen with PS3 and PS4.

Feb 23, 2019
I think Nintendo has proven that big exclusives can be evergreen titles.

If Horizon 2 releases with no user base, it will be a system seller with a high attach rate and probably not be too negatively impacted vs. PS4 sales.

ElliesKnife

Apr 7, 2018
I don't get where this narrative about first party games being cross gen in the system's early years came from anyway.

There's a thread with a rumor that this is what's Xbox is doing. Cross gen including first party for the first few years. There's no way it happens with Playstation as they've already stated they believe in generations and want a swift transition into next gen.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I think Nintendo has proven that big exclusives can be evergreen titles.

If Horizon 2 releases with no user base, it will be a system seller with a high attach rate and probably not be too negatively impacted vs. PS4 sales.
These are not Nintendo games where if you don't buy them you might as well not buy the console. People buying PS5 after 1 year of Horizon 2 release for example are going to have other options from 3rd party to pick from.

Sony launch lineup for the first 2 years of the PS3 and PS4 is abysmal in comparison to what they're expected to have in the first 2 years on the PS5 cycle. You can't compare it. If anything they had GoW2 and GT6 after the launch of the new consoles.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
28590845283_9bd5d77b7d_b.jpg

Maybe PS5 will hit us with something like this.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
28590845283_9bd5d77b7d_b.jpg

Maybe PS5 will hit us with something like this.
Geez, there was literally something for everyone. Racing, RPG, action, horror, stealth, abstract, etc. Not only that, GTA III was an actual moment for the entire industry. I don't think anything could ever touch this lineup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Sony launch lineup for the first 2 years of the PS3 and PS4 is abysmal in comparison to what they're expected to have in the first 2 years on the PS5 cycle. You can't compare it. If anything they had GoW2 and GT6 after the launch of the new consoles.

that wasn't really intended tough

The new Santa Monica IP got cancelled & could have been an 2014/2015 title.
Uncharted 4 needed a director change & reboot of the development
You had several delays that Sony problably underestimated in this generation
the first party studios moving from the cell architecture to the Ps4 architecture, building their new Engines.

if sony had the games ready, they would have released them in the first 2 years aswell. they didn't deliberately wait for the third year, before pumping out all the big blockbusters

also if the Order 1886 and Driveclub wouldn't have failed, they could have been the blockbuster titles of 2014 and 2015

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
It would not be something out of this world to think that Polyphony (GT7), Rockstar (Bully) and Fumito Ueda (whatever he's working) would have something to release alongside the console.

About Ueda's game, I have a feeling that Microsoft may have reached some agreement with them. I don't know exactly why.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017

the first party studios moving from the cell architecture to the Ps4 architecture, building their new Engines.

if sony had the games ready, they would have released them in the first 2 years aswell. they didn't deliberately wait for the third year, before pumping out all the big blockbusters

also if the Order 1886 and Driveclub wouldn't have failed, they could have been the blockbuster titles of 2014 and 2015
UN4 was supposed to come out before 2016 true, but was SSM new title supposed to come out in 2015? And Drive Club and TO were never supposed to be as big as the 4 titles we mentioned right now. I didn't say Sony can't launch AAA titles in the first 2 years (2nd party and other first party studios can do that). I just don't expect them to launch all 4 mentioned in the first 2 years since that could mean a lot of lost sales. 2 could be exclusive, but the early 2 would be cross-gen to soften the blow.
It would not be something out of this world to think that Polyphony (GT7), Rockstar (Bully) and Fumito Ueda (whatever he's working) would have something to release alongside the console.

About Ueda's game, I have a feeling that Microsoft may have reached some agreement with them. I don't know exactly why.
I don't see Ueda type of game being the type MS would go after. It seems like the kind of semi-niche artistic thing that only Sony would be willing to fund.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
I certainly hope most of Sony's upcoming, big first party games are PS5 exclusive. I don't want to see them held back by PS4 hardware, even though the PS4 is still putting out visual bangers. The PS5 sounds like a huge jump in power.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I think a big reason of why some studios took so long was because they just didnt adjust team sizes soon enough. Things changed really fast in 10 years, in 2007 Uncharted: Drake's Fortune had at its peak 70 people, 10 years later ND was like 250 for Lost Legacy. ND was clearly the most prepared while other teams didnt scale that fast and took way more time to adjust. Also one of the reason why Sony (and everyone else really) are leaning so heavily on outsourcing, especially for art assets, an aspect that demanded so much more this gen due to the increase in fidelity and scope.

Assuming they are now better adjusted to the need of having huge teams to make these AAA games, things could move a little faster (or maybe scope will get even crazier and nothing will change lol)

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Oh shit, this thread got amazing we got insiders!

+ Shinobi teasing again.

We back baby!

Lol I don't really use this place as I don't find it particularly appealing due to the community at large. However, this thread seems good enough so maybe I'll hop on every now and then.

Last edited:

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
Lol I don't really use this place as I don't find it particularly appealing due to the community at large. However, this thread seems good enough so maybe I'll hop on every now and then.

Yeah the community has gotten worse than even the other site this time around. We usually are chill but can't control randos from coming into this thread and suddendly attacking people, RIP Benji Avatar. So even though I appreciate insiders suddenly spawning out of nowhere, I can understand why they wouldn't be so willing to talk and just lurk.

Status
Not open for further replies.