• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
>Sony talks with Konami about PS5 exclusive ( what a project I don't know)
>New Ratchet & Clank targeting on ps5 launch
>GT7 maybe delay from launch
>Guerrilla Games made full-online SOCOM
>SONY San Diego made GEATAWAY reboot(early development)
>Fumito Ueda work on ps5 game,E3 2020 anouncment
>FF16 new luminous project,E3 2020 anouncment
clownjdkc8.jpg

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
What I expect them to do, is releasing their own PlayStation App for PC, based on streaming, once technology allows it. Let's call it, an expanded PS Now. And of course, it'll be available after a while on mobile devices, TVs, etc. I prefer not to talk about other companies, this is the SIE thread, after all, but I think this to be the better strategy, as it doesn't sacrifice hardware revenue, in favour of subs or software sales.

The ideal model, to me, is a full and healthy mix of all that: hardware, software, subs, and streaming. Sony is well positioned to do it, though of course, there will always be some side of the business putting more weight than others. For example, it would be reasonable if the biggest games don't make it to streaming until years later. That way, there will be yet another incentive, to support games on release and for the original hardware. We'll see, I guess a trial-and-error approach is bound to happen. They'll learn what works best through experience. At least, they're in an excellent position to do it.

Seems like what they are aiming for down the line. But the immediate future going into next gen is going to no doubt continue mimicking what made the PS4 so successful. You might hear "streaming" thrown around a bit more when the PS5 is announced, but most the focus will be on selling hardware with compelling PS5 games.

In fact, the PS4 and PS5 will be co-existing for a good while (worldwide that is) so the hardware focus will be very strong for years to come.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that Sony is going to allow their first party studios to cut ties with the PS4 in order to move on to the PS5. I don't think anyone wants Naughty Dog, Guerrila, SSM, Polyphony etc. being hamstrung with having to make sure their games work on the PS4 as well.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
The Konami exclusive is the game Sony is hiring KojiPro to make Act 3 for MGSV.

Lol my first thought was Bluepoint MGS remake...

I really hope that Sony is going to allow their first party studios to cut ties with the PS4 in order to move on to the PS5. I don't think anyone wants Naughty Dog, Guerrila, SSM, Polyphony etc. being hamstrung with having to make sure their games work on the PS4 as well.

Didn't Jim Ryan say recently that "We (Sony) believe in generations".. I think that's the plan honestly. I think smaller exclusives for launch then big exclusives once the PS5 base gets large enough.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Saw someone in one of the DS threads say their dream is a Kojima-Yoko Taro collaboration.

I'm not sure anyone would be ready. Could you imagine how utterly insane that game would be?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure all the unannounced (internally) developed Sony 1st party games are PS5 exclusive. Sony already said they believe in generations etc. Horizon 2, Spider-Man 2, God of War 2, Japan Studio's next AAA game, the next Uncharted game, the next Naughty Dog game, etc. are all going to be PS5 exclusive. Only the MLB series will be a cross-gen title for the first years.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
I don't get why Sony gives Kojima the engine, money, marketing and personnel (probably) only for a timed exclusive of a game that they would get anyways.

They could have fund another new IP like Days Gone, from a fist party studio.
They will sell millions of games, have a GOTY candidate, will sell some hardware, and also make money with every game sold on PC.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
No. Like I said before, Quantic Dreams' games are the exception not the rule. Them being on PC has more to do with Sony burning bridges with QD than anything else. As for Marvel's Iron Man and Spider-Man, they are system drivers/sellers. Spider-Man alone was proof of that. Besides, Marvel, Sony and Insomniac games have been adamant about it being a permanent exclusive. As for Death Stranding, I can also confirm that it is a full exclusive with no PC version in sight (got info from a close source). I am willing to bet my avatar for that and will keep that avatar until E3 2021 if I am wrong.
That's not what I heard...They didn't put their games on PC because bridges were burned. They cut ties with them permanently. There's more to this that you don't know so it's better not to assume and I can't say more than I should here.

Oh shit, this thread got amazing we got insiders!

+ Shinobi teasing again.

We back baby!

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
by 2 years into the PS5 cycle (holiday 2022) Sony should have released Horizon 2 (5 years), Spider-Man 2 (4 years), GT7 (5 years) and God of War 2 (4.5 years). Will Sony really be willing to through all these projects on a console with a small install base when they have a huge install base to put these games on? I'd think at least the first 2 to be released (probably Horizon 2 and GT7 probably) has a chance of being cross-gen.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
At this moment I'm afraid to say that I am little bit more hyped for DS than TLOU2 even TLOU was my Game of gen (with GTAV)

Seems only natural since you know when you're going to get to play DS while Part II is still up in the air. A game releasing sooner is always goign to make some people more excited.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
by 2 years into the PS5 cycle (holiday 2022) Sony should have released Horizon 2 (5 years), Spider-Man 2 (4 years), GT7 (5 years) and God of War 2 (4.5 years). Will Sony really be willing to through all these projects on a console with a small install base when they have a huge install base to put these games on? I'd think at least the first 2 to be released (probably Horizon 2 and GT7 probably) has a chance of being cross-gen.
Why not? I don't see anymore crossgen games past the first year, the need to push the new one with them.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

Yes they will.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yes, because they'll need it to sell consoles to the general public, if you don't have exclusives the only people upgrading will be the hardcore enthousiasts who want to play the games with the best graphics. Also, exclusive launch games always have a very high attach rate, a bar average game like Killzone Shadow Fall sold 2.1mil copies by March 2014, a 35% attach rate.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
Considering how much social media buzz both COD & DS has gotten without any press conference or anything is impressive. While I am sad Sony is skipping E3 this year, I do hope there is some return to it, or a PSX event where it is not the couch, but a traditional keynote.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Considering how much social media buzz both COD & DS has gotten without any press conference or anything is impressive. While I am sad Sony is skipping E3 this year, I do hope there is some return to it, or a PSX event where it is not the couch, but a traditional keynote.
With TLOU Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, Predator and the unannounced PS4 exclusive + some third party games, they have enough to do a conference and announce some release date

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be surprised if Sony doesn't do E3 next year.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Why not? I don't see anymore crossgen games past the first year, the need to push the new one with them.
Because these projects are probably close to half a billion in cost when you include marketing. Pushing the new console is important, but not by fucking over your profit margins. If you look at the last 2 gens (PS4, PS3). Sony didn't throw many huge profile games in the first 2 years of the console cycle. We're talking here about 3 (even 4 if GT is done right) +10 million sellers that are going to sell significantly less and these studios won't be able to put another one game in 2-3 years.

Now Sony can of course focus on just pushing the next console especially if they really need something to push it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony make 2 of these at least cross gen (Sony did say they expect the majority of profit in the next 3 years to be from PS4) with the PS5 having the superior version as a selling point, while depending on smaller projects from Japan Studios and 2nd party to fill in the gap of full exclusives. Once the console reaches a good user base then bigger projects can be released on the console without feat of drastic drop in sales numbers.

Oct 27, 2017
If the rumors about about Demons Souls remake and bb2 are true, that would position Sony as the dominant action-rpg publisher next gen. With the Dark Souls franchise dead I think Demon Souls 2 could become a huge system seller. Imagine having bb2, demons2 and Nioh 3 as exclusives.

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
I'll be surprised if Sony doesn't do E3 next year.

They definitely will be at E3 2020. The big question IMO is whether there's PSX this December.

Why is the ESA reluctant to embrace the more fan-focused style of show?

It's not really reluctant. As a collective, we don't know what we don't know and it is… is this Prince of Persia? If I jump, will the bridge be there? That's what the ESA is right now. If we jump from the trade show thing to the consumer show… I do think the bridge will appear. We did PSX, we didn't know what that was going to be like. We did it for the 25th anniversary of PlayStation, but we got lucky. If you build it, they will come. That's the conversation we're having in real time right now with the ESA. Just because PlayStation is not at E3 2019 doesn't mean we won't be there in 2020.

www.gameinformer.com

Shawn Layden On PlayStation And The Future

Game Informer sat down with the chairman of Worldwide Studios to discuss all things PlayStation, including why it has chosen to skip E3.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Unless I missed something the R&C rumor was born because Colin Moriarty said there was still a important "2nd party" exclusive left to reveal, and then a few days later he also said that we haven't seen the last of R&C.

People (me included) assumed the 2nd party game was a new R&C because of this, but apparently he later clarified that was not the case, the exclusive he mentioned was something else. What he said about R&C was because of how successful the remake was.

Hopefully we'll have a new R&C sooner or later, they are really good games.

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
I came across this "leak" on pastebin (I know I know) and it's most likely fake af... but if these things were to happen, would ya be happy about it?

The idea of Sony going to Konami for an exclusive is quite intriguing... the GT7 delay is the most believable thing :-p
what's up with those fake leaks and eastern europe studios? i'm pretty sure that I've seen at least five rumors that start with this line.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Unless I missed something the R&C rumor was born because Colin Moriarty said there was still a important "2nd party" exclusive left to reveal, and then a few days later he also said that we haven't seen the last of R&C.

People (me included) assumed the 2nd party game was a new R&C because of this, but apparently he later clarified that was not the case, the exclusive he mentioned was something else. What he said about R&C was because of how successful the remake was.

Hopefully we'll have a new R&C sooner or later, they are really good games.

Moriarty already said that he wasn't talking about a new R&C (although he thinks Insomniac is definitely making another one)

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Because these projects are probably close to half a billion in cost when you include marketing. Pushing the new console is important, but not by fucking over your profit margins. If you look at the last 2 gens (PS4, PS3). Sony didn't throw many huge profile games in the first 2 years of the console cycle. We're talking here about 3 (even 4 if GT is done right) +10 million sellers that are going to sell significantly less and these studios won't be able to put another one game in 2-3 years.

Now Sony can of course focus on just pushing the next console especially if they really need something to push it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony make 2 of these at least cross gen (Sony did say they expect the majority of profit in the next 3 years to be from PS4) with the PS5 having the superior version as a selling point, while depending on smaller projects from Japan Studios and 2nd party to fill in the gap of full exclusives. Once the console reaches a good user base then bigger projects can be released on the console without feat of drastic drop in sales numbers.
If the devs can manage 2 versions of the game, I'm sure Sony would love to sell to both user-bases. But yeah, looking at it realistically and with Sony saying PS4 is the main profit driver for the next 3 years, I think some of them will be cross-gen. It shouldn't be as difficult to do with similar architecture and maybe some projects can even get outsourced like Titanfall for X360.

GT7 on the other hand is probably a PS5 exclusive, next Horizon, and likely God of War are probably PS5 exclusives too. They are devs known for pushing the hardware. TLOU2, Death Stranding and Ghost will reap the rich benefits of selling to both audiences. Santa Monica needs to get God of War out soon! If it's Cross-gen, probably sell like 25 million copies!

Then again, these games could just be THE games to get with a PS5 purchase, so all of them do evergreen numbers the duration of the gen?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 games already have crazy production values, i'd much rather have a cross gen 2020/2021 Horizon/God of War sequel than a PS5 exclusive God of War where you can see extra pores in Aloy's skin and takes an extra year or two to make. I'm sick of waiting 4-6 years for games, i want the games to come out faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.