• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

New Studios or Expand Current Studios

• Acquire New Studios

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Expand Current Studios

Votes: 16 80.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2018
In the wake of Microsoft picking up studios to add to their first-party roster, such as Playground Games, Ninja Theory and Obisdian Entertainment (among others), there has been a surge of people hoping that Sony Interactive Entertainment follows suit. However, would it be worth pursuing the likes of Insomniac Games, Quantic Dream and Kojima Productions, etc., to add to SIE WWS instead of doubling down on their already-owned studios by turning teams such as Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studio and Guerrilla Games into two-team studios, thus increasing the rate of their output?

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo don't exactly need to do tit for tat all the time.

Microsoft expanded its first-party studios because they needed it.

Sony's First-party slate is already rich, so they can simply invest in financing games.

Oct 25, 2017
Acquisition of non-struggling studios isn't good for anyone. I'd rather both Sony and MS just expand their studios or only acquire studios that are in financial trouble.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure companies don't acquire studios just because someone else did...

Think they will look at their own situation and output and adjust accordingly rather than just reacting to outside events.

OP
OP
Pokemon Master Tim
Jun 14, 2018
Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo don't exactly need to do tit for tat all the time.

Sony's First-party slate is already rich, so they can simply invest in financing games.

I agree with this 100%, Giuseppe.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
In an ideal world, sure, that'd be great. But Sony only have so much money.

i doubt its a matter of money, but more like they don't really more that much more studios. Layden said it himself, Sony isn't Nintendo and they dont wanna be Nintendo.
How man Studios are people expecting? How many AAA Games per Year make sense? (i think 3 is the maximum)

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Sony's first party is very healthy right now and their studios are really delivering the goods too..............knee jerk reactions to anything Microsoft does are not really the way forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.