• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 15, 2018
User banned (3 days): Trolling. Platform wars.
On paper there's a 16% TF difference between PS5 and XsX (there was a 40% TF difference between PS4 and XBO).

But what's interesting is Sony's "there's a lot to be said about faster" high-frequency approach as it lets the PS5 punch above its TF number:
It seems disingenuous to take sony peak performance numbers vs ms sustained numbers on paper, when we know sony will operate closer to 9 teraflops in reality

Jan 15, 2018
Don´t you contradict yourself? First you say no console operates at peak performance all the time and yet you claim that the XSX does? Either both do or don´t.

Also you don´t clock your Gpu that high without extensive testing, it´s clearly not some last minute approach by sony to counter XSX. The whole cooling system has to be designed around that.
Watch the df video. Xsx numbers claimed are sustained.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
So what's the deal with "the most exciting hardware in 20 years?"
SSD?
SSD (defualt on both systems) and Direct Access of entire 100GB assets of a game on SSD as if it's all stored in Ram (feature confirmed on both systems) will totally alter how game devs design their games from the beginning.

Having no more loading screens, or fake elevators, or corridors, or checkpoint stutters, having actual geometry and hyper detailed (and reachable) draw distances instead of painted backgrounds, having thousands of NPC on screen at the same time (e.g. in big cities) and smoothly traverse all of this with a car or a plane or just flying ala Iron Man without a single hiccup is game changing, as it would have been impossible in the last 20 years of consoles.

But this will be possible both on PS5 and XSX.

It's the huge additional speed jump of PS5 SSD compared to the XSX one that probably won't make any relevant difference in most games.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
It seems disingenuous to take sony peak performance numbers vs ms sustained numbers on paper, when we know sony will operate closer to 9 teraflops in reality
giphy.gif

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wow I've seen so many posts saying this and it is false. Its misinformation to make the gap look larger between the consoles. I will believe Cerny until its proven otherwise. Seriously how can anyone think it will throttle and decrese performance by 1tf, I'd like to know the reasoning for this other than github.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Assets still have to be rendered, which is done by GPU hardware. This is where being able to stream in massive amounts of assets at unbelievable speeds may actually be bottlenecked by actually having to render them in the game world with a slower GPU. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how that might work. On the other hand will the Series X possibly not be able to take full advantage of its GPU because it can't stream assets in fast enough? Two very different takes on this.....
I have been saying this for months in the next gen speculation thread.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Assets still have to be rendered, which is done by GPU hardware. This is where being able to stream in massive amounts of assets at unbelievable speeds may actually be bottlenecked by actually having to render them in the game world with a slower GPU. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how that might work. On the other hand will the Series X possibly not be able to take full advantage of its GPU because it can't stream assets in fast enough? Two very different takes on this.....

Putting the obvious load time benefit aside, if the XSX has a slower (but still fast) SSD, what would the real world benefit be for players in-game for games on the PS5? Or is the benefit largely in the development side?

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
In order for me to understand this a little bit better, could someone come up with a comparison %-wise between the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X, and how things are now between the PS5 and The Series X?

It seems to me that's the most logical comparison, since that's the beginning of the trend, right? Just to know how power choices are evolving.

Thank you :)

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
As a person who has a gaming PC I was always going to get PS5 and I like what I'm seeing. Obviously I want to see how things run.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
People should really watch the DF video and listen carefully to that part where they talk about the "boost" clocks. Stop spreading false information please!

Fiddler

Oct 27, 2017
In order for me to understand this a little bit better, could someone come up with a comparison %-wise between the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X, and how things are now between the PS5 and The Series X?

It seems to me that's the most logical comparison, since that's the beginning of the trend, right? Just to know how power choices are evolving.

Thank you :)

Xbox One X to Ps4 Pro about 40% difference
XSX to Ps5 about 16% difference

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Hardware based RT performance is reliant on the CUs. Xbox has a bunch more of those. I believe this is straight forward. However you're right....we haven't seen anything concrete. Fact that Cerny didn't talk about it was somewhat telling though.
A potential variables is how much RT hardware is present per CU. If PS5 has 2x the amount of RT hardware per CU, for example, then it would be better at RT despite fewer CUs. Now, I don't think that's a likely scenario, and I agree that the CU count is a strong suggestion that the XSX has stronger RT capabilities.

Deleted member 27551

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Xbox One X to Ps4 Pro about 40% difference
XSX to Ps5 about 16% difference

Yea I'm not sure what people are expecting there isnt going to be a major resolution difference like there was with some 1x and pro games this gen as both will do 4k easily enough. 16% or add another 4% if ps5 throttles for some reason and it's still not going to be a major difference.

I'm really excited for both and its gives me an excuse to buy the series X due to its slight power advantage and pretty much cheap first party due to gamepass. PS5 will be a must for the exclusives.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
A potential variables is how much RT hardware is present per CU. If PS5 has 2x the amount of RT hardware per CU, for example, then it would be better at RT despite fewer CUs. Now, I don't think that's a likely scenario, and I agree that the CU count is a strong suggestion that the XSX has stronger RT capabilities.
Now you are moving the goalpost :)

Fiddler

Oct 27, 2017
In the df video leadbutter explains how the clocks are locked and that ms stressed there is no boost clock or variable component speed

So assuming DF and MS´s claims are right, how does that fit into your claim:

No console operates at peak performance all the time.

I really wonder.

Also you have yet to show recepits for your claim that the Ps5 will operate at 9 TFlops. When DF and Sony made it a clear point that the Ps5 will work at 10,28 TFlops.

Jan 15, 2018
Also sony didnt mention the cpu having up to 16 threads. Using 16 threads vs 8 cores/8 threads is a 30% difference in performance by itself, not to mention the cpu is clocked higher on xsx in both modes

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
The DF article say's the 2.23 GHZ is the typical speed of the GPU.
I know, but that's what Cerny told to them.
Tom Warren is also a super reliable source directly in contact with devs and insiders.

Variable is variable, as it is a "boost" compared to a baseline clock.
Sustained or Locked will always stays at that frequencies

We'll see.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
This isn't true. If you'd watched the presentation yesterday properly you would know this.
As DF stated you can´t compare it to your typical boost you see on Pc´s etc. Really read the article, it is fairly clearly explained.
Yeah it is clearly explained that the max setting cannot really be achieved. If you boost one, you lower the other one. This is what people are saying, that the actual performance is an average, since peak is impossible.

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
As DF stated you can´t compare it to your typical boost you see on Pc´s etc. Really read the article, it is fairly clearly explained.
Agree, read the article. it's not a boost mode like PC, the frequency are stated by the DEV and fixed. All PS5 will run the same scene at the exact frequency. If the dev want 2.23GHZ all the time, the CPU will give some spare power. The thermal envelop is always at 100% and the CPU / GPU share these thermal envelop.
Finally the dev have a fine control off the CPU and GPU demand.

Deleted member 27551

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Tom Warren is also a super reliable source directly in contact with devs and insiders.

I mean, he did knock Sony for "we're nearly 4 months into 2020 and all we have is a logo" literally a day before Sony announced their ex-GDC stream, so I'm not sure I'd say he's the most well-connected insider around.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
That is a contradiction. Then everybody would just run at 10.28 all the time. What is the the use of boost?

There is no contradiction. If devs want 10.28, they get that. But there is a power budget, which means if the GPU runs at 10.28, they can't just put some heavy AVX-256 stuff on the CPU and expect it to run perfectly, they have to manage the workload. But that's the thing - they can do this. They have complete control of frequencies. And managing workloads to get stable framerates is something that's already being done in current-gen games.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I want real benchmarks, fps and frame times. Right now it doesn't really tell too except for getting only a vague idea of how powerful they're gonna be.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
No it's not

16% vs close to 40%

And this time around the 16% weaker console has the better memory architecture, unlike PS4 which had better memory and TFlops
According to Cerny, it will run at that speed the vast majority of the time, only dropping a "couple of percents" on rare occasions.

10.28TF is the absolute base/default for the GPU.
Don't forget that the GPU CLOCK affect the rasterization speed and some other parameters. A 10.3TFLOPS at 2.23 GHZ can be equal efficiant to a 12TFLOPS 1.8GHZ. Plus Sony seems to have very good memory managing, this could affect the final perf. I think the macro optimisation in PS5 can be equal efficient like the raw power of the XSX.
Guys and gals I understand that we're all a little riled up about things not going as expected for whatever your personal preferred systems are but please stop spreading misinformation to fit your narrative.

10.28 is the max for the gpu when it is at full boost, we don't know how long it can stay there or the percentage of performance lost if it drops since we don't know the base tf or frequency. Might be 90% of the time might be 60% might be variable depending on the air you feed your system.

Next 10.28 RDNA 2 tf does not equal 12.15 RDNA 2 tf in any world please stop saying this, the Xbox gpu is better, is it going to be taken advantage of who knows, but it is what it is, let's see what shakes out just like the ps5 ssd is superior to the Xbox series x, will it be taken advantage of we'll see

lastly, we don't know what memory configuration is better and it will likely come down to the size of a game, type of game, and dev preferences. If a dev only needs 10gb of ram the Xbox offers the faster solution if a dev needs more maybe they prefer the ps5 solution of it all being the same speed rather than 2 speeds. Wait till we know more as games release and hear from devs.

Accept the facts, argue as much as you'd like about what's better but please stop making things up to make each side look better or worse it doesn't help anyone

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
There is no contradiction. If devs want 10.28, they get that. But there is a power budget, which means if the GPU runs at 10.28, they can't just put some heavy AVX-256 stuff on the CPU and expect it to run perfectly, they have to manage the workload. But that's something that's already being done in current-gen games.
Sure, but then 10.28 cannot be sustained for long, where XSX can have 12.15 sustained all the time, even enabling all the other components at max usage.