• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I've been following the various threads about the PS5 specs for most of the day. The vast, vast majority of the discussion is that XSX GPU > PS5 GPU and that the XSX is generally the stronger system on most cases. Even the vast majority of PS fans on this site concedes this as far as I can tell. This notion that this site is full of fanboys saying lower numbers actually mean higher performance is a weak strawman setup to be knocked down to justify petty console warz persecution complexes.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
In this economy, I foresee both companies pushing back their console releases. These specs will definitely change even if they're official, because of the production lines being affected.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
I think the Sony move toward ultra efficiency is awesome but people are talking about it like the XSX is riddled with bottlenecks that the PS5 solved. People may be underestimating some of the software MS is so excitedly talking about on the Direct X API. I'm interested to learn more about VRS and DirectML. I think both will be close in reality.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
No, this is wrong and downright misleading.

Game Asset streaming will definitely be an advantage with a faster SSD.

Double the IO speeds could have massive implications for asset streaming and not just "Loading the levels is gonna be faster".

Say for example you have an open world game where you're traveling through a 10 second section of a City:

Both consoles have 16GB of RAM, XSX a 2,4GB/s SSD, PS5 5,5GB/s:

XSX= 16GB + 2,4GB/s means for the 10 second section, that you have 16GB+24GB "virtual" RAM (40GB effectively usable) that can swap in assets instantly of area assets of the surroundings or the scene in front of you.

PS5= 16GB + 5,5GB/s would mean you have 16+55= 71GB addressable.

This difference could translate in much more detailed worlds, or much bigger worlds, or much faster traveling through worlds (for example instead of Spiderman 2, an Iron Man game where you fly at Mach 5 speed through New York).

A scene with much more ground clutter, higher detail or higher and more refined textures etc.
Assets still have to be rendered, which is done by GPU hardware. This is where being able to stream in massive amounts of assets at unbelievable speeds may actually be bottlenecked by actually having to render them in the game world with a slower GPU. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how that might work. On the other hand will the Series X possibly not be able to take full advantage of its GPU because it can't stream assets in fast enough? Two very different takes on this.....

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Because if you look at the reality of the specs, it's really not a difference worth getting too concerned over. This is less than half the difference we had between the consoles this generation. Which also didn't amount to THAT much in the grand scheme of things.

At the end of the day, there's pros/cons to each system and it really doesn't have one clear winner. When we see the DF comparisons and benchmarks, I seriously doubt anyone is going to say something looks dramatically better on one console versus another. It will all come down to the quality of the developer.

Microsoft's hardware choices seem more aimed at specs that have traditionally defined performance metrics, while Sony has opted for better memory architecture, with coprocessors that lessen the load on the GPU/CPU to extract as much optimal performance from their lower CU'd, higher clock'd part.
Microsoft's solution will be noticably more capable with ray tracing titles. Those titles may not appear at launch but I'm sure you'll see them down the road.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I'm literally telling you about real life performance vs on paper. My Nvme SSD has ~3500Mb/s speed. My SATA SSD has ~550Mb/s speed. So on paper, my Nvme should be almost 7 times more effective than my SATA SSD, right? But it isn't, at least not when in comes to gaming. I barely notice any difference.

Sony's 1st party games will likely benefit from this, but for 99% of games PS5's SSD likely wouldn't make a big difference, because 3rd parties aren't going to tailor their games for PS5's SSD when a lot of PCs are still using HDDs.
I think in a couple years PC minimum specs will be SSD. Still probably not as fast as we get in these consoles though, and almost guaranteed not 5.5 GB/s fast SSDs

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Although I bought a PS4 this generation and not an Xbox I'm thrilled with the steps Microsoft has taken. Microsoft for a variety of reasons had a ton of issues this generation and sales reflected that. Even though my first next gen console purchase will probably remain Sony (too early to tell but exclusives) I'm really happy Microsoft seems like they are poised to see more success than this gen. Although I dream of the day when we don't have the console wars if we're going to have to have multiple boxes I want them to all be successful.

Feb 23, 2019
Yep, this is exactly what Sony is doing. It's so obvious.

If it was so obvious, Sony could have just opted with a bigger chip. The size of the chip was intentional, likely to reduce costs, and Sony found that it was cheaper without too much of a performance hit to go narrow and fast instead of wide and slow.

Sony is effectively saving 50% on Silicon area. That's a pretty substantial savings for only a 16% reduction in TF count.

Here is what Matt said regarding the decision to go with high clocks (i.e., it wasn't reactionary). And further, these decisions are locked in pretty far into the development of the console, because you need to know what the cooling solution will look like and integrate into the console.

Not my understanding. If that did happen, it was a while ago.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
We know who the winner is based on clear specs.

ea58f165-248a-4282-aptkli.jpeg

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
If it was so obvious, Sony could have just opted with a bigger chip. The size of the chip was intentional, likely to reduce costs, and Sony found that it was cheaper without too much of a performance hit to go narrow and fast instead of wide and slow.

Sony is effectively saving 50% on Silicon area. That's a pretty substantial savings for only a 16% reduction in TF count.

Here is what Matt said regarding the decision to go with high clocks (i.e., it wasn't reactionary). And further, these decisions are locked in pretty far into the development of the console, because you need to know what the cooling solution will look like and integrate into the console.
The BoM is $450 which isn't cheap for a console, so if you think they saved costs on the APU, then their SSD solution must be unbeliveably expensive. Food for thought.

Feb 23, 2019
Microsoft's solution will be noticably more capable with ray tracing titles. Those titles may not appear at launch but I'm sure you'll see them down the road.

And Sony's solution will be noticably more capable in terms of asset quality/diversity/LOD due to the superior memory architecture design. Like I said, there's pros and cons to each console.

May 1, 2018
Does anyone know if the next gen systems will help in regards to any asset interaction? Like clothes clipping through characters, feet touching the ground, etc. or if that is all strictly engine dependent?

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Because if you look at the reality of the specs, it's really not a difference worth getting too concerned over. This is less than half the difference we had between the consoles this generation. Which also didn't amount to THAT much in the grand scheme of things.

At the end of the day, there's pros/cons to each system and it really doesn't have one clear winner. When we see the DF comparisons and benchmarks, I seriously doubt anyone is going to say something looks dramatically better on one console versus another. It will all come down to the quality of the developer.

Microsoft's hardware choices seem more aimed at specs that have traditionally defined performance metrics, while Sony has opted for better memory architecture, with coprocessors that lessen the load on the GPU/CPU to extract as much optimal performance from their lower CU'd, higher clock'd part.
I dunno, I think it's safe to say there is a clear winner in specs.

Feb 23, 2019
The BoM is $450 which isn't cheap for a console, so if you think they saved costs on the APU, then their SSD solution must be unbeliveably expensive. Food for thought.

The BOM was just an estimate. The BOM estimates for the XSX are also higher. Now that we know the XSX has 50% more Silicon to produce per console, it's a fairly substantial increase in cost.

Maybe the SSD makes up for that difference, but I doubt it's as expensive. The APU is the most expensive component in the console.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone know if the next gen systems will help in regards to any asset interaction? Like clothes clipping through characters, feet touching the ground, etc. or if that is all strictly engine dependent?
That's purely a software thing. If a game wanted to have no collisions, they could... But it would be a huge performance hit.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
So to sum up... The hardware advantages of the XSX are nice and all but don't equate to much in the real world but the SSD advantage of the PS5 is uuuuuuuuuuuge and game design is being flipped on it's head.
Ummm, if a developer is only developing for the PS5 and not planning on putting their game on Xbox or PC then it could definitely change how they design their games. Most third party games are not going to take advantage, but at least SSDs might become standard minimum spec for PC gaming (God, I hope so....)

Feb 23, 2019
I dunno, I think it's safe to say there is a clear winner in specs.

There's a winner in terms of raw TF counts. That doesn't necessarily tell the whole picture about how the console as a whole will benchmark, how easy it is to develop for, or what kinds of new designs can be created with the console's power in mind. And historically, a 15% difference in TF count has been negligible at best. Far, far, far less than any previous generation.

Maybe Sony thought the average consumer (and developer) would rather have a more performant SSD? That's clearly what happened. And FWIW, the difference is 200% for the SSD, by far the most of any marginal difference in the other components, so it's a pretty big deal.

I don't think you can honestly say which has the better hardware as a SYSTEM, because that depends on what you prioritize.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017

MS did both, Sony just went farther on two aspects of it. XSX also has custom hardware for decompression to "radically improve asset streaming" plus dedicated audio hardware, both of which have custom software components, all in an effort to lessen the load on the CPU.

You might want to read up on the Xbox Velocity Architecture and Spatial Audio bits in the article released Monday: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/03/16/xbox-series-x-glossary/

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
In case anyone still does not understand the futility of measuring the power of the new generation only by teraflops.

MpmIw4W.png
Yep, measuring one architecture vs another based on Teraflops alone is foolish. It is especially hard to measure at the moment because nothing currently utilizes RDNA2 so we don't even know what their efficiency gains look like.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
And Sony's solution will be noticably more capable in terms of asset quality/diversity/LOD due to the superior memory architecture design. Like I said, there's pros and cons to each console.
I'm sorry but this won't bare out except for a PS5 exclusive or two that will be impossible to compare because well..obvious reasons. And remember, the SSD is still at the end of the day storage, so if you all want extremely high assest quality to stream at the stated speed, then you are going to fill up that hard drive extremely quick with a single title or two.

Feb 23, 2019
I'm sorry but this won't bare out except for a PS5 exclusive or two that will be impossible to compare because well..obvious reasons. And remember, the SSD is still at the end of the day storage, so if you all want extremely high assest quality to stream at the stated speed, then you are going to fill up that hard drive extremely quick with a single title or two.

I think it could very well bare out in third parties, although you won't see as much robust design changes from anyone but Sony first part. You certainly will get better asset streaming on PS5, period.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I expect the PS5 to have the overall CPU advantage, even if the XSX CPU is clocked higher. Between the dedicated audio hardware, and especially the custom SSD controller, I'd expect much more burden to be taken off the CPU compared to the XSX. The XSX GPU should still be decently ahead of the PS5 though. And the memory speed will probably be a draw since both systems have a speed appropriate for the GPU inside them.
Nah, the CPU should never touch anything having to do with the SSD, that job belongs to the controller. Both the PS5 and Series X have a custom dedicated audio chip this time around, so no audio jobs should be touching the CPU in either console. I can't see how the CPU advantage could go to the PS5 with them both using Zen2 hardware and Xbox having higher locked clocks.....

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
I think it could very well bare out in third parties, although you won't see as much robust design changes from anyone but Sony first part. You certainly will get better asset streaming on PS5, period.
Why would they invest time to drastically change the games architecture versus what a PC and Xbox do. Remember, most multiplatform titles will be developed around a HDD since that is still found in PC's. They aren't going to do anything other than optimizing loading assets. It is not going to happen. And when you compare the two when it comes to loading those assets, good luck really seeing the timing difference since most will start loading in the background prior to rendering. Just go look up any video on a slow vs fast SSD, most people can't tell which one it is.

Feb 23, 2019
Why would they invest time to drastically change the games architecture versus what a PC and Xbox do. Remember, most multiplatform titles will be developed around a HDD since that is still found in PC's. They aren't going to do anything other than optimizing loading assets. It is not going to happen.

Developers still tailor their games to various platforms and workaround the constraints of both. The same will be true of the SSD. Game design won't take full advantage of it. But you certainly should get better asset streaming/LOD, and potentially more diversity of textures within a given asset.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think $200-250 more sounds a little crazy for a couple of reasons. Even though Microsoft went with the larger GPU, and therefore larger die sizes, they also went with clocks that should be very easy to hit on RDNA2 hardware, meaning they should have pretty great silicon yields. Sony has much less CU, but clocked very high. What they save in die size they may very well lose when it comes to yields. Outside of yields I also have to imagine Sony has some exotic cooler (this was even hinted at in the Bloomberg article about BOM overruns for Sony). Running such high clocks is going to crank the heat up. We already know how Xbox has mitigated their cooling by basically creating a wind tunnel, but that is also a pretty inexpensive solution. When it comes to the SSD you also have Microsoft going with a relatively cheap Phison SSD controller, and they won't likely have to worry about heat with such low expected I/O throughput. Compare that to Sony, who have a custom controller and likely need higher quality NAND to reach those speeds. Besides the quality, go check out the heatsinks on the fastest PCIE 4.0 x4 SSDs for PC right now. They are huge, and they can't even go as fast as the PS5 SSD (I'm so excited to see that in action by the way!)

I guess what I'm saying is some of Sony's decisions might end up being expensive in the short term, while Microsoft has chosen to have higher yields and cheaper cooling. If the BOM hinted at in the Bloomberg article for the PS5 ($450) and the BOM that was estimated by Zhuge for the Series X ($460-520) is anywhere close to true I would guess that Sony goes $399 and Microsoft shoots for $499
Ah those are good points! Maybe I am way off then, interesting.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Developers still tailor their games to various platforms and workaround the constraints of both. The same will be true of the SSD. Game design won't take full advantage of it. But you certainly should get better asset streaming/LOD, and potentially more diversity of textures within a given asset.

Yeah devs during 360 and ps3 gen def has to work to each systems strength. It will be similar to this gen coming up. I'm excited that we are back to more exotic tech then just off the shelf parts. I can't fucking wait to see how this plays out. Jacked for both systems

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Sony has the games I want to play, so I'll be going with the slower PS5 as I'm mostly a PC gamer anyway. What I'm most excited for is the leap in SSD technology, I'm wondering if it can eliminate the dreaded asset load stutter many games suffer with?

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Also I'm not sure ps5 is really more 1.5 rdna then true rdna 2.0 like the Xbox seems. We shall see and either way both will be fast and a major leap. I mean look at fooking god of war and last of us 2 running on a 1.8tf system. Spiderman 2 is going to melt eyeballs and I think the same of gears 6

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
So is the difference between the 2 consoles PS4 vs. XB1, or closer to Pro vs. X1X?
Neither, much closer than both of those comparisons. Honestly specs wise I'm not sure what this even compares to. This is like building two PCs both with the same processor, Same amount of RAM, one with a 2080 TI and one with an overclocked 2070 super, but the one with the 2080 TI has a high end PCIE NVME 3rd gen SSD, and the one with the 2070 super has a PCIE NVME 4th gen SSD running twice as fast as the third gen. In terms of consoles it is super hard to compare, they are really pretty darned close

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
I would be highly surprised you could even tell the difference between the next generations Call of Duty when the titles are loading information of their SSD's. Both will be fast enough you won't be able to tell the difference at the human scale easily. Maybe a 1/10 of a second.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
I expect the PS5 to have the overall CPU advantage, even if the XSX CPU is clocked higher. Between the dedicated audio hardware, and especially the custom SSD controller, I'd expect much more burden to be taken off the CPU compared to the XSX. The XSX GPU should still be decently ahead of the PS5 though. And the memory speed will probably be a draw since both systems have a speed appropriate for the GPU inside them.

when seeing things like this means you didn't read up on the DF Xbox article. MS has dedicated hardware to offload as much as possible from the CPU.
At least give the Xbox article a chance..

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Is Microsoft now allowed to start calling the Xbox Series X "the most powerful console ever" in their marketing?

Will Sony start advertising their PlayStation 5 with "the fastest console ever"?

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
This is my question (and apologies if this has since been answered). How is Sony both showing off a revolutionary increase in ssd speeds on the internal drive, but also letting users stick in stock NVME that can't match those speeds? Or will they?

If PCIE4 NVME is comparable speed, then that's cool and Sony has found the better solution. Mass market solution for expansion is generally preferable.

If not (and clearly, I have no idea), that kind of seems like the worst of all worlds. To play any game specifically created for ps5's crazy speeds, it MUST be on the internal, not even on the NVME expansion. And devs must account for that discrepancy too... So, in practice, does the ssd actually get utilized to its full glory?
Currently there are no PCIE4 NVME SSDs that can hit sustained 5.5 GB/s. Highest is 5 GB/s right now, but the standard does allow for up to 7.5 GB/s so I'm pretty sure we will be seeing some for PC soon enough

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta

To be fair, it's a bigger performance gap than PS4 to Xbox One was at launch, and I recall quite a few people thinking THAT was enormous.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Those PCIE 4.0 storage speeds better be worth it. I'm already annoyed organizing 2TB drives and It's gonna cost me an extra $200-$250 on top of the console just to get back to that point as we move towards monthly subscription, all you can eat service models. I can't say I've ever thought a PCIE 3.0 SSD was too slow.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
My thoughts on the PS5 are that Sony's aiming to build a very well balanced console with as few bottlenecks as possible, but they're also aiming to enhance the overall feeling and experience for the gamers. They're implementing an impressive 3D audio experience that will continue to evolve past the console launch and will aim to personalize audio for each individual gamer in the long run. They're implementing haptic feedback and resistive triggers in the DS5 to enhance how we interact with the game world and bring the tactile feeling of playing a game to a new level. They're aiming to stomp out load times with their impressive SSD tech which is a massive quality of life improvement for all gamers, and of course the impressive SSD will allow devs to really stretch their legs when designing games for the system.

In comparison with the XSX for the main hardware the CPU and RAM are so close the differences seem negligible. The GPU has the XSX with a clear lead in the TF department, but as others and Cerny have pointed out there are also advantages to a higher clock. I'm not smart enough or knowledgeable enough to give an opinion there, so I'd prefer to wait for proper benchmarks and comparisons to fill in the blanks and demonstrate the advantages and disadvantages to each strategy there. Regardless, even if the 16% or so difference winds up being reflected in the majority of games and tests that number is so small it makes no personal difference to me.

I was pleased to hear Cerny address console fan noise so much in his talk, making me think they're emphasizing a silent solution for the PS5. I'm very curious if their cooling solution will resemble that patent from a while back.

I know we won't get PSVR2 news this year but holy fuck the PS5 is going to provide an amazing experience when that does come out. If they're implementing haptics and resistive triggers in the DS5 I can only imagine what tech they'll cram into the VR controllers. I really hope they're working on VR gloves as well.

I'm sure there's still plenty we can learn about both the PS5 and XSX, so I'm excited to see how things pan out.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
These specs are awesome, but imagine the specs on the Xbox Series XX and the PS5 Pro. It's going to be insane.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Those PCIE 4.0 storage speeds better be worth it. I'm already annoyed organizing 2TB drives and It's gonna cost me an extra $200-$250 on top of the console just to get back to that point as we move towards monthly subscription, all you can eat service models. I can't say I've ever thought a PCIE 3.0 SSD was too slow.
Do you mean you're looking at pricing potential drives for a PS5, after Cerny specifically told you not to do that? The drives that are fast enough don't exist yet. And when they do exist, will they actually fit? Nobody knows yet.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Why is everyone freaking out as if PS5 is an underpowered weakling? The gap is smaller than X1 vs PS4 and X1X vs PS4 Pro

Especially considering the immense gap of SSD speeds is 100% increase.