• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
im not tech person myself, but a buddy of mine claims he is, and says the ps5 might actually be better and more powerful. Can someone let me know if he is right or wrong?

the IO throughput is so much higher than the Xbox that everything is going to load faster on the PS5. The RAM is also clocked higher so assets will load faster on PS5. The GPU runs at a higher frequency so the graphics calculations will be much faster on PS5. And the CPU frequency difference is .3 GHz, which is basically nothing.

Does that above make the ps5 more powerful?

Need to find a new tech buddy.

Lmao

Best answer!

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is blast processing all over again. XSX is more powerful, it's as simple as that no matter how much you want to spin it.

Sega found one thing the Genesis had over SNES and marketed that to hell, and it worked.

Does it matter? Both consoles will be fucking amazing. XSX will look better, PS5 will run faster. Enjoy both, I know I will.

I still havent seen any launch games to decide which one I want to get first but I'm leaning with XSX because of Gamepass really. I'll end up with both at some point.

DrowsyJungle

Oct 25, 2017
"It's really important to clarify the PlayStation 5's use of variable frequencies. It's called 'boost' but it should not be compared with similarly named technologies found in smartphones, or even PC components like CPUs and GPUs. "
If you want to believe that marketing go ahead. They don't have some magic silicon to defy physics, it's going downclock when more electrons are being transferred to and from different components at rates it cannot handle. I'm sure everyone would prefer it to say 10+ TF Locked...but it doesn't. They left room for ambiguity to have a prettier looking number

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Phil stated scarlet won't be out of position on power or price. 200 to 250 more sounds way out of position.

thing is... since MS went wide but with lower clocks... it means better yields

simplified SSD will be cheaper

memory might actually cost less on XSX (edit: wait no they're using more chips so it's a slight premium)

if Sony's cooling is far too exotic, it could get mighty interesting

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Despite Cerny's stating that he likes the GPU to run at higher frequency, I think that Microsoft's 12TF caught them off guard and they decided at a late stage to try and boost the clock as much as they could to get as close as they could in terms of performance. Clock was their only available dial to turn.

Microsoft did something similar with the Xbox One at a late stage.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
Xbox is a monster on paper. Let's wait for some real tech demos. Ps5 did well on Ssd side and memory. This gen will be awesome.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Was there any additional information on the internal 825GB Storage?

Is that 1TB minus the OSs reserved space or is that literally 825GB, but actual userspace will be like 100 less or so?

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
im not tech person myself, but a buddy of mine claims he is, and says the ps5 might actually be better and more powerful. Can someone let me know if he is right or wrong?

the IO throughput is so much higher than the Xbox that everything is going to load faster on the PS5. The RAM is also clocked higher so assets will load faster on PS5. The GPU runs at a higher frequency so the graphics calculations will be much faster on PS5. And the CPU frequency difference is .3 GHz, which is basically nothing.

Does that above make the ps5 more powerful?
This whole post is wrong dude, come on, read the specs.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
The One X has 43% more computational power (Tflops) than the PS4 Pro.

The Series X has 16% more computational power (Tflops) than the PS4 Pro.

The One X has 12GB of GDDR5 at 326 GB/s, whilst the PS4 Pro has 8GB of GDDR5 at 218 GB/s. So the One X has 4GB more ram than the Pro, plus ram that is 50% faster.

The Series X has 16GB of GDDR6, 10GB of which is at 560GB/s and 6GB of which is at 335GB/s, whilst the PS5 also has 16GB of GDDR6 the entirety of which is at 448GB/s.

So they have exactly the same amount of ram, where PS5's ram is 34% faster than 6GB's of the Series X's, whilst 10GB of the Series X's ram is 25% faster than the PS5's.

So yea, not remotely like the PS4 Pro vs the Xbox One X.
I agree with your overall point, but bruv that ain't it.

10.3TF in best case scenario. Probably 9.5-10TF in reality.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
It's gonna be intresting to have such a competitive landscape again. Xbox fucked up so bad at the start of last gen, couldn't be any more free for Sony to dominate the market

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Despite Cerny's stating that he likes the GPU to run at higher frequency, I think that Microsoft's 12TF caught them off guard and they decided at a late stage to try and boost the clock as much as they could to get as close as they could in terms of performance. Clock was their only available dial to turn.

Microsoft did something similar with the Xbox One at a late stage.
Not my understanding. If that did happen, it was a while ago.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
This is blast processing all over again. XSX is more powerful, it's as simple as that no matter how much you want to spin it.

Sega found one thing the Genesis had over SNES and marketed that to hell, and it worked.

Does it matter? Both consoles will be fucking amazing. XSX will look better, PS5 will run faster. Enjoy both, I know I will.

I still havent seen any launch games to decide which one I want to get first but I'm leaning with XSX because of Gamepass really. I'll end up with both at some point.
This is my take away from it anyway, I'll get both so I can play all the exclusives.

The Xbox is more powerful so I'll buy all the multiplatform games on there the same as I did on the PS4 this gen (up until the Xbox One X got released).

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You've got it twisted. 9.5-10 Tflops would be the worst case scenario (Mark Cerny's words) whilst 10.3 Tflops will be the "typical" performance.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

I feel like I watched a different presentation than some of you... Cerny specifically stated the console would run at max frequencies most of the time, only dropping a "couple percent" at most when needed for power envelope (and not thermal) reasons. Acting as if the "real TF" of the console is lower is just weird.

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark
Microsoft was never going to let Sony get the drop on them in terms of specs- doing so would have been a complete disaster and they weren't about to lose the power game again (despite being worlds apart on SSD speeds, which they obviously didn't see coming).

That's why I think you'll see a huge gap in pricing for PS5/Xbox- At least $100, but likely $200-250. If MS can close that gap below $100 then that would be a massive, massive win.

I don't think they will, and more importantly, I don't think they have to- all of their games will be multiplatform for Xbox consoles, and Game Pass allows them to target all three markets at once (the entry level Xbox One, the still-impressive Xbox X, and the high end premium Series X).

We'll see what happens, but I think we're seeing Sony still go for the main consumer, and MS going for the power user who doesn't mind higher prices- and that's exactly where each audience is on their respective platforms.

That pricing is suicide.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to have to quote myself from OT10, on what better I/O speed could mean for "real" in game differences (Note that at that time speculation was just for 2 and 4GB/s SSD speeds):

100% more asset streaming speed could (theoretically) translate into 100% more detailed game world in the same scene between systems.
This will not happen, though. I mean, we can construct everything to make whatever advantage each console has shine more but in reality most games will have a variety of specs in mind, especially also because of PC. So unless a game is only getting a release on consoles this is close to 0% Chance. And even on both consoles devs won't make two very different games, it's just not economical.

Deleted member 54073

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
It's gonna be intresting to have such a competitive landscape again. Xbox fucked up so bad at the start of last gen, couldn't be any more free for Sony to dominate the market
Seems to be a bit of a role reversal this time round. They seem to take it in turns in being rubbish at marketing their consoles.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Specs are kind of a wash for me. XSX has much better announced features though (gamepass, and BC), but Sony will likely have announcements and further info on this as well. Will stay with Playstation unless there's something big that changes my mind.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Both consoles are going to be impressive. We should probably avoid falling into marketing narrative traps.

The Xbox GPU and CPU are more powerful and most the ram is faster. Let's not pretend like this is insignificant.

The PS5 has a state of the art SSD and is much faster than Xbox. It is not only about a few seconds of load time. It could be a game changer but it remains to be seen how devs will utilize it. Also, Xbox drive is no slouch and will benefit from SSD.

Let's not follow stupid narratives.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is my take away from it anyway, I'll get both so I can play all the exclusives.

The Xbox is more powerful so I'll buy all the multiplatform games on there the same as I did on the PS4 this gen (up until the Xbox One X got released).
Pretty much the same for me. Cant wait for next gen honestly. I am in dire need of a new tv first though so I'm saving up for that atm

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft was never going to let Sony get the drop on them in terms of specs- doing so would have been a complete disaster and they weren't about to lose the power game again (despite being worlds apart on SSD speeds, which they obviously didn't see coming).

That's why I think you'll see a huge gap in pricing for PS5/Xbox- At least $100, but likely $200-250. If MS can close that gap below $100 then that would be a massive, massive win.

I don't think they will, and more importantly, I don't think they have to- all of their games will be multiplatform for Xbox consoles, and Game Pass allows them to target all three markets at once (the entry level Xbox One, the still-impressive Xbox X, and the high end premium Series X).

We'll see what happens, but I think we're seeing Sony still go for the main consumer, and MS going for the power user who doesn't mind higher prices- and that's exactly where each audience is on their respective platforms.
Where do you see Lockhart in that construct?

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
You've got it twisted. 9.5-10 Tflops would be the worst case scenario (Mark Cerny's words) whilst 10.3 Tflops will be the "typical" performance.
I feel like I watched a different presentation than some of you... Cerny specifically stated the console would run at max frequencies most of the time, only dropping a "couple percent" at most when needed for power envelope (and not thermal) reasons. Acting as if the "real TF" of the console is lower is just weird.
We'll see. Assuming a 5% drop in CPU and GPU clocks:

CPU = ~3.3GHZ, GPU = ~9.8TF

If Sony didn't think they could drop below 2% then they would just fix the clocks at 3.4 and 2.18Ghz imo.

Last edited:

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Not talking only about hardware but considering everything I think Xbox is in a much better position for next gen. Services + studios for games + hardware + full bc enhanced

Deleted member 35631

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
We need an actual developer (Ubisoft, Activision, Capcom, etc) to come here and do a Q&A about what to expect about the advantages and disadvantages of each console. I suspect this is much more than just numbers, so some real clarification would be awesome.

Does anyone from here know someone that could do it?

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I think it's pretty obviously

PS5 $399
XSX $499

I'm getting both but think I'm gonna go XSX at launch. I have feeling a PS5 Pro is almost guaranteed.

PS5's cost alone is estimated to be $450. It's gonna be $500 for sure.
The new Xbox can't be $500 unless MS is going to take a huge hit...i mean if they were going to release at a similar price, they wouldn't need a cheaper unit

Probably:

Lockheart (300/400) < PS5 (500) < Series X (600)

IF PS5 and Series X are the same price then...Sony is fucked and they will have a huge marketing problem to sell this lol.

Exodia

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 9, 2020
No, it's an ssd - but the ps5 ssd is a faster more custom solution according to early information

3rd party games/engines will be designed around the lower speed one wrt to asset streaming etc but 1st party ps5 games can take full advantage

So then xbox first party can take full advantage of their custom ssd. Currently the commentary about first party usage is only one way. As though series x games would be developed the same as xbox one games.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
The best news out of all this is that old leak actually nailed the specs for both PS5 and XSX (other than the likely upped clocks for PS5), so Killer Instinct 2 for Series X (not cross gen) is coming.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
As someone that is likely getting both, this seems like it's going to be completely random what third party games are better on what system

Am I understanding correctly that it is just a matter of if they take advantage of better GPU in Xbox and/or faster memory in PS5?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
This will not happen, though. I mean, we can construct everything to make whatever advantage each console has shine more but in reality most games will have a variety of specs in mind, especially also because of PC. So unless a game is only getting a release on consoles this is close to 0% Chance. And even on both consoles devs won't make two very different games, it's just not economical.

The scalibility you refer to as necessary may dovetail neatly/easily into enhanced streaming performance though. If you have your mip-chain for textures, what's to stop you using more higher res mips for onscreen assets if your streaming is up to it? No target-specific asset packaging required in that case, just having a bigger working buffer for what's actually on screen because of the need for a smaller set of data being kept warm in memory vs left on disc because of io bandwidth.

That said, some devs have done target-specific asset tweaking in the past also.

I'd keep an open mind on performance or 'settings' characteristics varying outside of the compute difference on the gpus here. Especially if the outside of the CUs, the gpu config is the same. We will see, dev feedback might be instructive in the shorter term before launch,

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Also how much headroom will that dedicated audio chip and other ssd chip provide the cpu?