• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Both of these consoles will be so blazingly fast, the difference in multiplat titles will be for one, unnoticable. What I gather from it, XBX is brute power, and PS5 does things in a far more intelligent fashion. both will have no problem driving incredible graphics to your TV's.

Hmmm

I think XSX is yes Brute power but also smart with new software tech like VRS,DirectStorage,DirectML etc...

Allice

Oct 9, 2018
Only unexpected thing was the pre-shade Microsoft threw by constantly focusing on ' fixed frequency ', they are truly forward compatible in their approach, lol.

Doom and gloom is unnecessary though, it's an adequately capable machine.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
That's what it sounds like.

We're we given any specific information on CPU clock speeds with SMT?
Sony didn't mention anything on that front. I would assume that clockspeed doesn't necessarily change with SMT, but that with the variable frequency the clock will veer away from 3.5GHz.

Exodia

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 9, 2020
You cant compare a boost mode tflops with a fixed tflops. It's amazing what I'm reading in these threads

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
Between the games and hardware. I still am getting a PS5 first. Their exclusives and in-house studios are just that much more appealing to me. I would get a next gen Xbox if their games are more better than this gen

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Raytracing is going to be huge this gen, if PS5 is crippled in that regard it's going to be even tougher news.

Oct 31, 2017
Pretty sure that's not the case. I think he said they tested the Top 100 games (purchased/rated, I'm not sure) and almost all worked. That makes it sound like 80%+ of all titles.

?

They've been testing those TOP 100 PS4 games and most of those will be playable at launch (as they need to fix shit on a game by game basis), hence the "less than a 100 PS4 games playable at launch" on PS5.

May 25, 2019
London

I think today would have been fine but not as the first real public event related to the PS5 that we've gotten. I think they would've been better served with a State of Play or something similar where they show the Spider-Man loading time difference from the article last fall, they show some tech demos, suspending and resuming games (use a fake/old interface, like how the XBox video is just using the guide from the current XBox One). It needed to be more than Mark Cerny talking about where they place microphones in your ears.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
What is the non-boosted TF numbers?

Right now comparing boosted TF to X's TF is a 17% advantage going to the X GPU alone

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I was pretty much settled on getting a PS5 before this, and my mind hasn't changed. I'm too invested in the ecosystem to jump ship for a marginal difference in pixel power.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
In the BEST CASE scenario (for the PS5) the XSX has 18% better flop performance. And that's in the theoretical situation where the PS5 can sustain full boost clock indefinitely. Which it won't. The worst case scenario is probably very close to the GH leak, so around 9.2TF. In that scenario the XSX is around 31% ahead. The average case might be somewhere in-between. The XSX also has a faster CPU and faster memory (for its main pool of GPU memory).

All of this will show up in 3rd party games, no doubt about it. The SSD advantage of the PS5 can really only be used optimally in exclusives (which I'm sure will be amazing).

Looking like I need to get both of these to get the best of both worlds. Was hoping the PS5 would be all I needed.

So we're ignoring the part where cerny said they expect it to run at that clock vast majority of time and likely only drop a couple of % at dev discretion?

No consideration for any other impacts such as split ram pool or the faster SE's?

Like I said let's wait and see for performance, but it's going to be closer than ps4 vs. xb1 and closer than ps4 pro vs. One x

Dont get me wrong it will be a hard sell at the same RRP.

Personally I'm disappointed in the GPU Bandwidth.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Pretty easy to see that the new Xbox is far more powerful, but I would expect it to be more expensive also. Basically lines up with what the majority of the rumors were pointing at.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
yean, you cannot average the XSX GPU memory bw like this. The GPU data will reside on the optimal pool, while the slower pool is intented to be used for mostly CPU related stuff.
Agreed there's some theoretical advantage, but it does rely on developers using the memory split in that specific way. You can't just say for that other 6 that it will only impact the CPU wholesale.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Well if you care about Ray Tracing it's pretty obvious which one the consumer should pick at this time.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always on boost mode doesn't sound healthy for a console long term. Their cooling had better be REALLY good and not degenerate with time. Also, their QA had better be really good so you don't end up with a dud that can't sustain boost mode as well as the average PS5. Performance lottery, fun. This is the kind of stuff you want to avoid when buying a console, you want a fixed performance machine.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
These are going to be two very good systems and I don't think people are going to go wrong choosing one over the other. Personally I'm sticking with PC and Switch but I'm looking forward to see how these systems push gaming forward.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017

Sony marketing has been awful. About a million people watched this stream expecting mainstream info with some game demos, not techno babble. It's really baffling they released this stream to a hungry gamer audience.

Sony definitely is not in pole position like they were last time, they do not control next gen talk like in 2013. Talks of HRFT and what not doesn't excite anyone.

This is not the old Sony that was close to perfect reading the market, a lot of high profile people (from the indie champions all the way to Kaz) left over the years so maybe it was to be expected.

JackBauer24

Oct 28, 2017
Sony seems as if they're concentrating on load times and data retrieval rather than in game usable power. Really strange methods of building next generation consoles.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Actually it's more than 20% in GPU power. Also about that 100% more SSD bandwidth will most likely result in difference of fraction of seconds, so not actually appreciable.
Though i agree 1600p vs 2100p may also not be appreciable.
It's just not loading, it's how the game engine is built around streaming data in dynamically and the density of data in the viewable space. Time will tell.

Will be interesting to see the the advantages of higher clocks. According to Sony 10.3 TFs at 2.2Ghz >10.3 at 1.8Ghz. How much more, I don't know. I've heard clocks are better than CUs, but no idea how much more. Another thing that time will tell on.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
When Jason Schreier told us that PS5 focus would be on fast loading we didn't heed his warning. He been knew.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If it runs 100% of the time then it would be fixed. Come on people.
no I said it runs 100% in boost mode. the mode itself can throttle, but it tries to boost all the time, with temps being the influencing factor. they had to cap it to make the system quiet enough and cool enough. put the machine in a hot room, it will clock lower, put it in a cold room and it will boost to the cap.
Did anyone watch this presentation? or are you all just looking at the spec sheet and inventing meaning from words.

DrowsyJungle

Oct 25, 2017
Sony giving boost clocks to demonstrate their GPU/CPU power is shady at best. Looks good on paper but you'll only get 10.3TF under the lightest compute scenarios. You're going to get 9.2TF under realistic gaming loads. All the while devs usually prefer fixed scenarios. So it seems counterintuitive to start their demonstration saying it's about the devs then mention things like variable clocks...

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
One thing that was mildly obnoxious with the PS5 event was the concerted effort to downplay TFs while also talking about cu count being important for AMDs RT solution. Like on the surface the TF count wouldn't seem to make a big difference but XSX would seem to have a large advantage on the RT side as well as more subtle advantages on some other things.

Cerny wasn't wrong to point out the difference in efficiency with GCN and RDNA but the few moments of downplaying TFs felt more like a marketing narrative than a real tech talk. It felt really defensive and awkward. Not necessary.

Holy hell though on the PS5 SSD!!! It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Devs

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
For the SSD drive, is the Xbox velocity architecture being considered?

DirectStorage – DirectStorage is an all new I/O system designed specifically for gaming to unleash the full performance of the SSD and hardware decompression. It is one of the components that comprise the Xbox Velocity Architecture. Modern games perform asset streaming in the background to continuously load the next parts of the world while you play, and DirectStorage can reduce the CPU overhead for these I/O operations from multiple cores to taking just a small fraction of a single core; thereby freeing considerable CPU power for the game to spend on areas like better physics or more NPCs in a scene. This newest member of the DirectX family is being introduced with Xbox Series X and we plan to bring it to Windows as well.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
no I said it runs 100% in boost mode. the mode itself can throttle, but it tries to boost all the time, with temps being the influencing factor. they had to cap it to make the system quiet enough and cool enough. put the machine in a hot room, it will clock lower, put it in a cold room and it will boost to the cap.
Did anyone watch this presentation? or are you all just looking at the spec sheet and inventing meaning from words.

so you're saying playing PS5 in the summer isn't ideal?