• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sex box got the upper hand specs wish this time around, interesting to see how this plays out

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
I'll likely get both consoles anyway but pretty disappointed in what we have learnt so far with PS5. I was really hoping that I could use the PS5 for multiplat titles as I've invested in their ecosystem but if it means having the best experience elsewhere then the XSX will probably cater to that and the PS5 for just exclusives. Bit of a shame.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Both of these consoles will be so blazingly fast, the difference in multiplat titles will be for one, unnoticable. What I gather from it, XBX is brute power, and PS5 does things in a far more intelligent fashion. both will have no problem driving incredible graphics to your TV's.
Oh I'm sure both will perform great, though more power is always better of course. Just since I'm not super well versed in these things, what is it that the ps5 does more intelligently?

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
The specs are a little low but I kind of expected it as Microsoft seemed to know that they had the better numbers. I can't believe all the talk in here of Sony lost or loses based on these specs.

The consoles are relatively close but unless Microsoft steps up their games department their software needs some of the boosts that the hardware got.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
comparison.png

Since we are using decimals, shouldn't we update XsX to 12.16 TF?

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are extremely close, looking at GPU XSX is ~15% more powerful on operations, but likely PS5 has ~20% higher pixel and texture fill rate. We will be looking at similar performance with the difference probably single digit %

Let's see what the price difference is if any.

In the BEST CASE scenario (for the PS5) the XSX has 18% better flop performance. And that's in the theoretical situation where the PS5 can sustain full boost clock indefinitely. Which it won't. The worst case scenario is probably very close to the GH leak, so around 9.2TF. In that scenario the XSX is around 31% ahead. The average case might be somewhere in-between. The XSX also has a faster CPU and faster memory (for its main pool of GPU memory).

All of this will show up in 3rd party games, no doubt about it. The SSD advantage of the PS5 can really only be used optimally in exclusives (which I'm sure will be amazing).

Looking like I need to get both of these to get the best of both worlds. Was hoping the PS5 would be all I needed.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I still need to see more (price, rumored Silent Hills in the PS5 launch window?) before I can make my mind up.

But on balance, the Series X looks like the more desirable spec sheet. I can't see multiplatform devs targetting stuff that only works at the PS5 speeds, when the SX speeds are already far above what they've been stuck with.

However, just like with PS3 and Xbox One (OG) exclusives are still going to look fantastic, no matter how multiplatform games shake out.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

I partly agree with him. It is as if you go to the appliance store and they try to explain to you how the technology behind the incredible new refrigerator you want to buy works. Maybe if you are an engineer you may be interested but 99% of the public will only be interested in questions of "How big is it, how much does it cool and how much does it consume?"

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
Devs will probably code for PS5 assuming 3.2GHz CPU clock and 2-2.1GHz GPU clock.

It's functionally a 9.2-9.7TF machine.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I´m going with Xbox right now.

I think they have a clearer idea of what they want to achieve, and it is reflected in the Xbox Series X construction and in the messaging to the public.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Why are people saying PS5 GPU is only 10% weaker... the base speed of 9.2 TF means the Xbox's 12TF is over 20% higher no?

9.2/12=76.6/100

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
With a BOM of $450 thats not happening.

GitHub was accurate and Sony just upclocked to try to break the 10TF number for marketing purposes. The variable clock speeds are uh...not very helpful for a console. It's a 9TF system

SSD Drive sounds interesting, but its never been a big selling point for consoles. Not sure how it will all play out - can't wait for the DF comparisons
Do we know the BOM?

I'm not sure if Sony just upclocked from 9TF to 10.3TF like that. Wouldnt that require a redesign of the cooling system?

About SSD, thats also because SSD has never been really taking advantage of consoles. Cerny touched on this in the presentation too, saying that installing a SSD in a PS4 might only result in a 2x faster loading time in God of War, while the SSD is capable of much more. This is because the other components in the PS4 are bottlenecks, and cant take full advantage of the SSD speeds.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It only downclocks when a game causes temps to go up.

Which sounds really awful. That's gonna make demanding 3rd party games look noticeably worse (or less smooth) on PS5.

But also, he said that it will downclock when many large instructions (256 bit) are used, because apparently it can't run as fast with those? Don't really know how that works.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
The PS5 is moderately more powerful than my PC, which is interesting. Hopefully I won't need to upgrade if developers make good ports with good graphics options.
Hah.
Do we know if either console supports Vulkan?

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 SSD-speed seems revolutionary, honestly. Hearing Cerny explain it makes it sound mindblowing.
He made it sound like they can use that ultrafast SSD memory to augment the gigarams memory? Any tech person can confirm?

Basically the exact same scenario as the One X and PS4 Pro.
In what way? Both next gen consoles are much closer to each other than the One X and PS4 Pro are, other than that SSD.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like I'll buy the Xbox Series X day one. An easy sell because of the combination of power, game pass and the entire xbox one library which I haven't experienced this gen. PS5 will have to wait until the inevitable first party juggernauts drop

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Devs will probably code for PS5 assuming 3.2GHz CPU clock and 2-2.1GHz GPU clock.

It's functionally a 9.2-9.7TF machine.
we never push the limits, even now on xbox and PS4, there can always be more performance pushed out of those machines. but for us a stable framerate is king. either cap it at 30, or 60 but the game could run higher at times. thats is why comparing TF's is such a dumb thing. It never works out like the spec sheet in real life situations.

pratyush1991

Jan 9, 2020
Why are people saying PS5 GPU is only 10% weaker... the base speed of 9.2 TF means the Xbox's 12TF is over 20% higher no?

9.2/12=76.6/100

Because Cerny mentioned it will run on it for most of the time and will underclock when it isnt required. People are jumping gun without any data. Let DF handle it.

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
Since XSX has more CU's, at lower frequency, don't they theoretically have a lot of headroom to increase clocks and really make a spread here, assuming they have more thermal headroom? Meanwhile it really looks like PS5 has pushed its 36 CU's to the limit.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember hearing anything about VRS? Did Cerny mention variable rate shading at all?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
In the BEST CASE scenario (for the PS5) the XSX has 18% better flop performance. And that's in the theoretical situation where the PS5 can sustain full boost clock indefinitely. Which it won't. The worst case scenario is probably very close to the GH leak, so around 9.2TF. In that scenario the XSX is around 31% ahead. The average case might be somewhere in-between. The XSX also has a faster CPU and faster memory (for its main pool of GPU memory).

All of this will show up in 3rd party games, no doubt about it. The SSD advantage of the PS5 can really only be used optimally in exclusives (which I'm sure will be amazing).

Looking like I need to get both of these to get the best of both worlds. Was hoping the PS5 would be all I needed.

It don't work that way since certain parts of the GPU scale with speed.
That not to say PS5 is better but it's not as clear cut as that .

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I don't think comparing the numbers (especially the Teraflops *groan*) paints the bigger picture here. If you listened and understood what Cerny discussed, PS5's edge is not to be seen in teraflops. As I have said in another thread, As long as PS5 reaches 4k on a consistent fps, who cares if the teraflops are lower if it manages that.

That SSD seems like a technical marvel and will be a huge boon to the PS5.

People like looking at the numbers but there is more to it than that.