• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
So in most cases, similar performance? Or are we going to see higher resolutions in one and not the other, like we did at the start of this gen?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
CU difference is the biggest thing. There's going to be a palpable long term difference visually due to that.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
It seems like a given that games will load faster on PS5 and perhaps maybe things like draw distance will be better too, or things popping up in front of you won't be as bad. It all remains to be seen.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
All specs are lower except for SSD which in the grand scheme of things honestly isn't as relevant as the rest. GPU difference is pretty big imo.

Also, no talk about VRS??? In PC games there are gains of more than 20% in term of FPS, so that 12Tflops with VRS will give even better results than the 10.2Tflops at boost clock speed...
So 14% in gpu is big now? Really? Smallest ever.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not smart in tech aspects at all. But since the Xbox has that hard drive port in the back, couldn't MS just make a new better hard drive down the line people could buy? Like hypothetically it could match the ps5 one. Or does the console need to be changed for that to work?

The whole point of the proprietary drive is so that it matches the architecture of the Xbox Series X memory architecture. So no, it probably won't offer an upgrade. But it's not a huge deal, they have hardware benefits in other areas.

PS5 has a similar requirement on 3rd party storage, but instead of selling it as a first party product, they are going to be certifying 3rd party storage devices.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
CPU is a variable clock too. You're not going to have CPU and GPU at max clock. There is definitely a significant difference in CPU and GPU power. Sony wants developers to adopt a new paradigm that makes better use of IO.
He said most of time both work at max clocks. So yes you gonna have both work at max most of time.

The diff is small than Xbox one and PS4 or x and pro. At worst scenario 20% since he said the biggest drop is 10%

Urgh

Banned
May 10, 2019
expect the ps5 to be significantly more expensive with that ssd, possible £100

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Happy to finally see this stuff. It's cool to learn more about what these tech specs mean lol. But also, at the end of the day, all I really care about is software. So while I wish this made a difference, it's mostly nonsense to me. Will be interesting to see how they compare though! Always fun to see new hardware advancements.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be a tough one for me. Series X looks like the clearly more powerful console, but will likely be more expensive, possibly as much as $600. PS5 looks less powerful, but will likely be cheaper, but, unless they want to eat a loss, will be probably $500. Games-wise, I much prefer Sony's 1st party output, but MS has been building up their 1st and 2nd party studios -- I'll believe it when I see it, though. MS does have Game Pass. That could be huge factor for me, especially if all multiplats run better on Series X. I guess for me it comes down to price and performance and what 1st party games Sony announces. If launch lineup on PS5 looks sparse, I might get a Series X first, so long as it's not crazy expensive.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, get ready for Microsoft to start the "most powerful console" in all their advertising now.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
So in most cases, similar performance? Or are we going to see higher resolutions in one and not the other, like we did at the start of this gen?
Seems like the gap could be small compared to what happened this gen, but the weaker and variable CPU/GPU and overall specs on PS5 make it seem like most metrics will leave Xbox Series X ahead in detailed comparisons this time.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
People really think the PS5 will be cheaper than the XSX with that SSD and flash chipset? Yall need to keep your expectations in check...

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Even at 9 TF and less RT capabilities, games are still going to look & play dope as hell on PS5 no doubt.

They've been back since half of the last gen and still geting dragged behind.

I think most normal people are more interested in how games play vs. what sales numbers look like.

Let's all love one another. I love XBOX and PlayStation. I'm going to get both!

And Animal Crossing in 2 days! Everyone wins!

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
What does this mean?

well unless i'm wrong on it

Dictator pls clarify

Xbox does all the BVH intersection work off the GPU in it's own accelerator and then "paints" it with the GPU shaders

but if i'm correct, PS5 does all that within the GPU meaning it comes at a cost to the raster

this means there's a chance an xbox game could take a multiplatform game made with PS5 in mind and give it RT for free?

but I want someone to correct me on this

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Seems kind of disingenious to mention max clock speed when its variable. there is no way its running at 2.23GHZ all the time. In reality its probably a 9tf machine. They just got caught with their pants down by MS. quite the reversal from 2013.
Yep. GitHub was totally accurate.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Oh man, I am so excited to see what the future brings. :D

Based on the reactions from today, and the reignition of the console wars, we are going to have some fun times ahead! :D

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Getting both but disappointed in Sony so far. The loading speeds will probably be a minimal difference and the backwards compatibility hurts big time

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Seems kind of disingenious to mention max clock speed when its variable. there is no way its running at 2.23GHZ all the time. In reality its probably a 9tf machine. They just got caught with their pants down by MS. quite the reversal from 2013.
While I agree, he did say the downclock should only be 1 or 2 percent.