• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'll end up getting both, but I'll be buying the PS5 first simply because they have shown they have console exclusive titles. MS tends to drop everything on PC which is my preferred platform.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There is most likely a custom flash module sitting in front of the SSD that makes that IO Throughput possible. The question is, will the multiplat devs take use of that hardware and customize their games to utilize it. I like that there's more throughput but it's pointless if it's not used which is why developing apps on raw power is preferred. That or Sony needs to make it extremely streamlined to make use of that chipset.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
If PS5 is 399 then I'll get it on launch of both are 499 then Xbox will be my console

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Was expecting better from PS, plus for the last year every insider here claimed it was more powerful but it's clearly not. Still going to get one but not at launch.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
Those RAM bandwidth numbers for PS5 are really concerning. Even a desktop 5700XT has 448GB/s by itself. How are they supposed to balance that with the CPU as well?

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I just dont think ps5 can do rt well. That scales with CUs.

Faster ssd tech is cool but it will be very difficult to show that difference, specially in early games eveything should just run straight up better on xbox. It is not like theirs is poor. Right now I think MS made better decisions specially with their fixed clock approach. In practice ps5 likely rarely reaches maximum clock, that is an absurd frequency to sustain.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
I like the specs of both machines, but XSX will be the superior machine in most cases. The super fast SDD on the PS5 could lead to some interesting games that might be harder on the XSX.

I guess I might have to get both, but I am starting with XSX definitely.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The IO throughput on the XSX probably doesn't need to be higher in the grand scheme of things to MSFT as they are still planning on moving to a streaming model. No need for local storage if streaming from xCloud.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
cant see the faster ssd make that much of a difference in the ps5. For multiplat the baseline is going to be the slower kit, so in actual gameplay terms, they will likely be identical. I can see the ps5 having slightly faster loading, though.

I think the extra raw gpu power in the xbox is going to be a much more obvious difference.

wachie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading this spec sheet gave me one vibe.

Listening to Cerny explain the difference, I'm actually starting to think that Sony's approach is better.

HOLY FUCK.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
My issue from the coming months is that I know people who have never even used an SSD before are going to come out of the woodwork and say that it is revolutionary and it alone makes it stronger than the Series X.

Look folks, SSD's are awesome, and I'm really excited to see how games play once the SSD is standard, but it doesn't automatically make the GPU/CPU stronger. And your games won't automatically be 8K/120FPS because of it.

The PS5's SSD destroys XSX's one.
But also PS5's clocks are basically "peak performance" which is a bit ehhhh.

So basically we actually need to see both in action. DF must be salivating.

Yeah it's going to be interesting on actual multiplat games to see the difference.

If the PS5 keeps that peak performance, it's going to be louder and hotter than the PS4 Pro. Which is why I don't think comparing them on paper is easy.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Xbox stays my main console, that being said im sure PS5 will be great.

Wonder if they will end it showing/teasing what the box looks like

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I just dont think ps5 can do rt well. That scales with CUs.

Faster ssd tech is cool but it will be very difficult to show that difference, specially in early games eveything should just run straight up better on xbox. It is not like theirs is poor. Right now I think MS made better decisions.

Raw power rarely matters in the early years of a console. Sony will get more mileage in the beginning as the SSD throughput will show immediate results.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Both seem very cool, but variable frequency of CPU & GPU in the PS5 is not ideal. That I/O speed is wild, though!

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The IO throughput on the XSX probably doesn't need to be higher in the grand scheme of things to MSFT as they are still planning on moving to a streaming model. No need for local storage if streaming from xCloud.

Xbox has never planned to move to a streaming model. They are offering a streaming service, on top of their console service.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's an interesting difference between the two. I expected them to be a little bit more comparable. PS5 has a much faster SSD, while the XSX has higher FLOP count and I think it might edge out the bandwidth comparison. In terms of expandable storage, PS5 allows a curated list of off-the-shelf (in the future) NMVe SSDs, while XSX has proprietary expansion cards. It's interesting that they are quite different.

I don't think the FLOPS difference is too bad. It's 15.4% less, compared to XB1's 29% flop deficit, so the gap this gen will be smaller (and XB1 vs. PS4 wasn't too interesting, either). A more interesting question is the SSD: PS5's IO throughput is more than twice as large as that of the XSX. That said, the XSX's IO throughput is really high as well (as Cerny mentioned, PS5 is at least 100x, so XSX is 50x or more), so I don't know if that deficit is going to impact the games.

Very interesting information for sure!

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox has never planned to move to a streaming model. They are offering a streaming service, on top of their console service.

Sorry, this is what I meant. Not entirely streaming. This gen will offer a hybrid model. Should've been more specific.

xCloud is supposed to use the same hardware as Series X tho.

Blades will be different. They aren't going to pop in literal XSX into a server rack lol.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it's kinda neat - even if obviously a bit annoying for devs - to see the consoles be a bit more disparate from each other. It may mean certain games being genuinely optimised better on a platform by platform basis, depending on their size and particular demands.

Dec 31, 2017
Nope not at all. Diff on gpu is 14% but with higher clocks on ps5 it will be around 10% on reality.

Cpu side is negligent diff.

Memory kind same

Ssd much faster on ps5
All specs are lower except for SSD which in the grand scheme of things honestly isn't as relevant as the rest. GPU difference is pretty big imo.

Also, no talk about VRS??? In PC games there are gains of more than 20% in term of FPS, so that 12Tflops with VRS will give even better results than the 10.2Tflops at boost clock speed...

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope not at all. Diff on gpu is 14% but with higher clocks on ps5 it will be around 10% on reality.

Cpu side is negligent diff.

Memory kind same

Ssd much faster on ps5

CPU is a variable clock too. You're not going to have CPU and GPU at max clock. There is definitely a significant difference in CPU and GPU power. Sony wants developers to adopt a new paradigm that makes better use of IO.

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
no way am i paying more than $399 for ps5 lmao

series x looks like a great machine, but i have no need for it

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
So, two consoles that will have games that look the same, but with the PS5 having a less stable dynamic resolution and slightly faster load times?

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not smart in tech aspects at all. But since the Xbox has that hard drive slot in the back, couldn't MS just make a new better hard drive down the line people could buy? Like hypothetically it could match the ps5 one. Or does the console need to be changed for that to work?

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
DF said they are and that they can be used to virtualise 4x XB1s.

I'm sure DF is reliable. But if you have ever been inside a colocation and/or data center; popping in a XSX in a server rack would be stupid. Sorry, while the blades will be based off the XSX chipset, it most likely won't be the exact same.