• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Seems us iOS players have gotten quite the Christmas surprise as Sid Meier's Civilization VI has been released for iPad.

The first 60 turns are free and then you can unlock the full version in-game.

Get it on the App Store. The full game is $60 but is on sale for $30 until January 4.

PS: To those who may not know, other PC/console games have launched on iOS this week as well. Games like Life is Strange, Oddworld: New 'n Tasty, Inside and Fez.

We also have a general monthly Mobile Gaming thread, please check it out to discuss all gaming on iOS and Android!

Last edited:

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this is a great surprise! I tried playing Civ V on my surface, but it never worked great using only touch controls. This should be much better!

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Man, this is surely going to chug like hell when it hits later turns, surely? Still amazing to see mind. XCOM 2 when?

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
This is the only way I could ever force myself into this game. Extremely excited to mess around with this!

Also, need XCOM 2 now please!

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Three questions:

• How much is the game?
  • This is the actual game, mechanically sound, no cutbacks? I mean, it's not a dumbed down version like CivRev?
  • It will run fine on my 10.5 inch iPad Pro, right?

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Three questions:

• How much is the game?
  • This is the actual game, mechanically sound, no cutbacks? I mean, it's not a dumbed down version like CivRev?
  • It will run fine on my 10.5 inch iPad Pro, right?

It's the actual game with refigured controls apparently. Unsure which version or patch, though, and it doesn't include any of the DLC Civs that the game has received on PC.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
This is crazy, I've hoped they would do this forever. If this is actually a decent port, would be one of the best stealth releases ever for me

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem like it.

Compatibility: Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, and 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Compatibility: Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, and 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular.

You cannot not trust that list, developers cannot explicitly block devices from installing iOS11 compatible Apps, they can however block them up startup which a lot do.

Affinity Photo can for example be installed on an iPad Air, but just shows an error on launch, many other similar high end apps do the same.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very interested in some impressions! I have an Air 2 that could use a workout.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, you can't trust the official requirements list? How come?

Apple does not allow developers to exclude devices from installing an app if they are technically compatible with the device, so any iPad App that is for example targeting iOS 11 can be installed on iOS 11 compatible devices. Developers however do a startup check of the device and block further execution of the app if the device is not whitelisted inside the application itself.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apple does not allow developers to exclude devices from installing an app if they are technically compatible with the device, so any iPad App that is for example targeting iOS 11 can be installed on iOS 11 compatible devices. Developers however do a startup check of the device and block further execution of the app if the device is not whitelisted inside the application itself.
Isn't this something that Apple would want developers to explicitly specify in their requirements lists, though? To keep angry customers at bay?

Is there cloud saves with the PC version??
Unlikely, they use different executable formats.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
I am really curious to see how well this actually runs. Digital Foundry should get on this.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this something that Apple would want developers to explicitly specify in their requirements lists, though? To keep angry customers at bay?

Unlikely, they use different executable formats.

Actually, all those apps say that in the description, look at the very bottom of the description on the App Store.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure there is a 2017 Ipad Pro sitting under my tree so I guess I know how xmas evening is going to go :p

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on a 10.5 iPad Pro and the menu screen, graphical buttons, almost everything looks extremely blurry. Especially the text though. Like it's not running at its native resolution. Womp.

The touch controls responds pretty well though. Zooming in and out and pressing on prompts or menu items feel like they should.

There also seems to be keyboard support as there is a dedicated section for Key Bindings. Don't have a keyboard on hand to test.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
I assume this game will chung in the later turns. If I wanted to get an iPad, is there a substantial performance difference between a 2017 regular ipad and a ipad pro?

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on a 10.5 iPad Pro and the menu screen, graphical buttons, almost everything looks extremely blurry. Especially the text though. Like it's not running at its native resolution. Womp.

The touch controls responds pretty well though. Zooming in and out and pressing on prompts or menu items feel like they should.

There also seems to be keyboard support as there is a dedicated section for Key Bindings. Don't have a keyboard on hand to test.
Could you take a screenshot please?
If I remember right, the 10.5 inch Pro has a ridiculous screen resolution to begin with, so I would be fine with a (n acceptable) sub-native resolution.