• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Nominated for 2 Golden Globes. Best Actress in a Motion Picture (Musical/Comedy, Kate Hudson), and Best Picture (Musical/Comedy). Why? No earthly idea.

variety.com

Sia Adds Warning Label to ‘Music’ Movie, Apologizes to Autism Community on Heels of Golden Globes Nominations

Sia is addressing the controversy surrounding her feature film debut, "Music," after the film earned two Golden Globes nominations.

Sia addressed the controversy surrounding her directorial feature debut, "Music," after the film earned two Golden Globes nominations Tuesday morning, then promptly deleted her Twitter account.

In a succession of tweets on Tuesday night, the singer wrote that she has "been listening" to the criticism surrounding the film's portrayal of a nonverbal autistic person by a neurotypical actor, Maddie Ziegler.

sia-music-movie-film-directorial-debut-maddie-Ziegler-autistic.jpg

As a result, the singer announced that a warning will appear at the beginning of the film, specifically about scenes depicting physical restraint.

sia-promisehave-been-listening-e1612469313375.png

Sia then simply tweeted, "I'm sorry," an apology presumably aimed at the members of the autism community who have been vocal about their disappointment in the film's casting and portrayal of autism.

sia-imsory-musicinnowaycondones-e1612469245651.png

Sia also wrote that all restraint scenes, for which the warning at the beginning of the film is issued, will be removed from public screenings of the film.

sia-removerestraint-e1612469106169.png

The tweets remained publicly accessible for just over an hour before Sia deactivated her account.

twitter.com/sia

"Music" earned a nomination for best picture in the musical or comedy category at the 2021 Golden Globes, with star Kate Hudson also picking up a nod for best actress. The recognition reignited controversy surrounding the film, which is scheduled for release at select IMAX theaters on Feb. 10 [and on-demand services on Feb. 12].

More at the link.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Wtf is restraint scene?

Edit: Read the article and I guess an autistic person is physically restrained at some point? I'm not sure I'm completely getting this

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
"The movie features scenes with Maddie Ziegler's autistic character Music being restrained as a means to calm her down – something advocates have condemned."

OP
OP
MinusTydus

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
"I listened to the wrong people" yeah you did

www.resetera.com

Sia casts neurotypical actor as autistic girl in new film, tells autistic actors: "maybe you're a bad actor"

Sia has been under fire this morning, after being called out for casting a neurotypical actor to play an autistic girl in her new movie "Music". When someone explained that due to the pandemic, Sia had to do everything last minute (hence why she couldn't hire an autistic actor), an autistic...

Wtf is restraint scene?

Edit: Read the article and I guess an autistic person is physically restrained at some point? I'm not sure I'm completely getting this
Yeah I read everything in the OP and I still don't understand what's going on here.

I saw someone saying "prone restraint", so this

8e2777-20120306-prone-restraint.jpg

But I haven't seen the scene

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad she's come around. I wish she hadn't deleted her twitter as there's bound to be blowback from fans blaming autism advocates.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
This sounds like she took feedback and is editing that out for the public release. Idk why the need to delete socials and such? It doesn't sound like she intentionally messed up, but it happens and she seems to be making it right?

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like she took feedback and is editing that out for the public release. Idk why the need to delete socials and such? It doesn't sound like she intentionally messed up, but it happens and she seems to be making it right?
To avoid distractions maybe?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California

She fought back against actual autistic people telling her the casting was a bad idea, and to do better. She doesn't get the benefit of the doubt here.

EscapingJail

Oct 26, 2017
"I listened to the wrong people" yeah you did

www.resetera.com

Sia casts neurotypical actor as autistic girl in new film, tells autistic actors: "maybe you're a bad actor"

Sia has been under fire this morning, after being called out for casting a neurotypical actor to play an autistic girl in her new movie "Music". When someone explained that due to the pandemic, Sia had to do everything last minute (hence why she couldn't hire an autistic actor), an autistic...

I saw someone saying "prone restraint", so this

8e2777-20120306-prone-restraint.jpg

But I haven't seen the scene
Oh yeah thats big fucked up

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Trying to get my head around the timeline here - did people know of the restraining scene before the film was released?
I know pre-release she was getting a lot of comments about her casting choices, and using Autism Speaks as a consultant.

This whole thing has been such a huge mess. While it's good she's finally coming around and listening to feedback (instead of just insulting people on twitter..) the damage has been done.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf is restraint scene?

Yeah I read everything in the OP and I still don't understand what's going on here.
I thought I was the only one, the OP title was one of the most confusing sentences in English I've ever read. But yeah after reading the OP itself it makes sense, but without any context?

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
Sia went hard on defending problematic autistic representation a while back. I always got the impression she was being fed bad information and was too stubborn to come around. Hopefully she does better in the future. This is a start, maybe.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Here's the scene in question.

Here's the problem with her statement about her "listening to the wrong people", basically ZERO autism advocacy orgs (even Autism Speaks, the biggest and worst of all) say that this is a good idea to handle a meltdown.

And it got nominated for Best Picture?!? What the FUCK.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
She fought back against actual autistic people telling her the casting was a bad idea, and to do better. She doesn't get the benefit of the doubt here.
Yeah seems like she messed up, but like where we at now? She is changing it or editing it out so I don't really get where this goes from here tbh.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sia went hard on defending problematic autistic representation a while back. I always got the impression she was being fed bad information and was too stubborn to come around. Hopefully she does better in the future. This is a start, maybe.

Yeah, I see that someone cited that actually autistic people were criticizing her, but Twitter in general is a mess for feedback.

People tend to listen to whoever they perceive as an expert or who they know best. The fact that the only known autism organization is considered trash... doesn't help matters.

Good she figured it out, hopefully her compass is set better in the future.

Last point, just a liberalism thing... I think we're heavily conditioned to think that messing up means that we're shit people. So when liberals try to, in their mind do good in a big way, and people call them out, they push back HEAVILY.

You'll note the same thing when people are called out for being racist. These are just my observations.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Good that she eventually did come around and saw how wrong she was.

But the golden globes are def a joke.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the scene in question.

Here's the problem with her statement about her "listening to the wrong people", basically ZERO autism advocacy orgs (even Autism Speaks, the biggest and worst of all) say that this is a good idea to handle a meltdown.

And it got nominated for Best Picture?!? What the FUCK.

When I was very young my dad used to smother me using a full sized mattress, something he learned working at a mental institution. Its not something ill ever forget in the worst possible sense.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
The more I hear about this movie, the worse it gets.

And fuck the Golden Globes for nominating this shit.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Is the restraint scene depicted as an effective means to stop a meltdown? Or as a negative? Or is it that the meltdown itself is the problematic part?

Oct 27, 2017
Is the restraint scene depicted as an effective means to stop a meltdown? Or as a negative? Or is it that the meltdown itself is the problematic part?
This is an important distinction. You can have a scene that's bad and acknowledged as bad. If the moral was that it was ok and it worked then there would be an issue

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
This is an important distinction. You can have a scene that's bad and acknowledged as bad. If the moral was that it was ok and it worked then there would be an issue

It's the worst way to stop a meltdown. Autistic people have been killed by these abusive methods. It can cause PTSD. And the meltdowns just get worse because, go figure, you're having a panic attack because a bunch of assholes are on top of you and/or pinning your limbs down, and you feel threatened and you're scared for your fucking life. And if the autistic person also has sensory issues, where being touched (especially without permission) is something they're very sensitive about, you're definitely not calming them down. And depending on the autistic person, they may not be able to communicate their feelings to you the way you'd "expect them to" because some people have more severe autism than others. And even then, communication issues are a major thing with autism. And even then, the last thing I'd want to do anyway is talk to people physically restraining me and thinking this is somehow a good idea.

You never ever ever do anything like this to anyone, let alone someone with autism. Ever. It's so bad that even the horrible Autism Speaks doesn't recommend it.

Oct 27, 2017
It's the worst way to stop a meltdown. Autistic people have been killed by these abusive methods. It can cause PTSD. And the meltdowns just get worse because, go figure, you're having a panic attack because a bunch of assholes are on top of you and/or pinning your limbs down, and you feel threatened and you're scared for your fucking life. And if the autistic person also has sensory issues, where being touched (especially without permission) is something they're very sensitive about, you're definitely not calming them down. And depending on the autistic person, they may not be able to communicate their feelings to you the way you'd "expect them to" because some people have more severe autism than others. And even then, communication issues are a major thing with autism. And even then, the last thing I'd want to do anyway is talk to people physically restraining me and thinking this is somehow a good idea.

You never ever ever do anything like this to anyone, let alone someone with autism. Ever. It's so bad that even the horrible Autism Speaks doesn't recommend it.
you misunderstood what I wrote. I'm not saying it's ok. If the movie has a traumatizing scene with people going off protocol and doing it and then being called out on it it's diff than the script presenting it as normal. I was asking the context of the movie

Jun 13, 2020
That's the part that's just straight-up disgusting. Not only is this film what it is, but for it to get that kind of loud-speaker endorsement? Fucking hell.
I don't understand how movies that have a RT in the 20s have been nominated. Isn't the Golden Globes commission made up of journalists?

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
One day, we'll stop getting articles like this because people stop acting like they're above actually talking to the people and casting the people these movies are always about.

None of this shit should've even made it in front of a camera in the first place.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What kind of an arrogant, self important person do you have to be to think making this movie was a good idea. Sounds insufferable.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the movie doesn't present the restraint as a horrible act of assault, but as an effective and necessary means of "helping"someone through an episode

Oct 27, 2017
you misunderstood what I wrote. I'm not saying it's ok. If the movie has a traumatizing scene with people going off protocol and doing it and then being called out on it it's diff than the script presenting it as normal. I was asking the context of the movie

When people depict it the "right" way, do they usually apologize, delete their twitter, and say they listened to the wrong people?

I'm gonna guess it was not called out enough, if at all.

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
I enjoy Sia's music and voice but probably won't make an effort to see this.

EDIT: I originally wrote about Atypical but then refreshed myself on how god awful that main character acted. Some of his actions weren't even able to be explained by autism, they were just horribly evil.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe Kate Hudson chose "I'm speechless" as her reaction to getting nominated for this car wreck

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
We would never used prone resistant to my autistic brother. Restrain his arms to stop him hurting himself as he often did when panicked, but only literally grabbing them and taking him out of the situation that spooked him. (I just wanted to add, this only happened a couple of times over his whole life and is now in his mid 30s. Otherwise, he does everything anyone else could do and more. Got me to get over my initial anxiety of roller coasters)
Sia must have had good intentions with this film. Autism is hardly tackled seriously in mainstream film so it would have shined a spotlight on the subject but she wasn't informed and so it comes across as once again, an amusement to gawk at. It seems she's learned her lesson. Yes, it's a bit late but I'm not one to dog pile on somebody who has admitted to making a mistake and is willing to make amends.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017

...The movie handled it very badly.

Just don't do horrific scenes like that at all.

If only scenes that induced warm, fuzzy, feelings in people were allowed then every movie would be rated G and do nothing to explore atrocities like genocide or more personal trauma like rape or loss of a loved one due to violence. There's a disclaimer at the beginning of the movie now and apparently the scene won't be in the full release.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
If only scenes that induced warm, fuzzy, feelings in people were allowed then every movie would be rated G and do nothing to explore atrocities like genocide or more personal trauma like rape or loss of a loved one due to violence. There's a disclaimer at the beginning of the movie now and apparently the scene won't be in the full release.
That's not why the scenes are being criticized.

If it was portrayed as something abnormal, then it wouldn't have the rightful anger that it has created.

Nobody here is saying that scenes that are hard to watch is the bar here. At all.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
Films depicting "genocide or more personal trauma like rape or loss of a loved one due to violence" does not condone said imagery. This one condones subjugation.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
That's not why the scenes are being criticized.

If it was portrayed as something abnormal, then it wouldn't have the rightful anger that it has created.

Nobody here is saying that scenes that are hard to watch is the bar here. At all.
The person I quoted literally said "Just don't do horrific scenes like that at all." That's my response to that sentiment.

Ive seen the scene and don't know the context within the movie. For instance is it set years ago when this may have been an acceptable practice? I don't know, but the scene will be removed and a disclaimer placed while it's on the festival circuit so I'm not sure what more can be done after the fact.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The person I quoted literally said "Just don't do horrific scenes like that at all." That's my response to that sentiment.

Ive seen the scene and don't know the context within the movie. For instance is it set years ago when this may have been an acceptable practice? I don't know, but the scene will be removed and a disclaimer placed while it's on the festival circuit so I'm not sure what more can be done after the fact.
No one here has seen the full film so we can only go from the tweet included in the post you quoted, which says "this film acts like it's normal & necessary"