• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I completely agree with Jim here, this is awful and the fact that EA is trying to worm out of it so easily is truly despicable. Basically this is Jim's opinions and thoughts on EA's discussion with politicians over lootboxes

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Finally, an angry gamer has something to say about EA.

What exactly does anyone get out of Jim's videos. They're not particularly well written or researched. Cover his set in Funko Pops and he blends in with 99% of hot take YouTubers.

Just saying, he's never missed a low hanging fruit to rule up his audience.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
at this point I watch Jim solely to have an outlet for my hatred about things in this industry. I just watch it and wallow in my hatred. it's fun

Oct 25, 2017

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Seems like this guy makes a lot of videos. What is his background? Is he just some guy like Ninja people like to watch on youtube or is he like a dev or industry insider?

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Jim needs to change his schtick to a soft spoken TED talk in a turn of the century study room. Then he needs to provide graphs, charts, and maybe even a slide show. He can not use cuss words and must address all parties in reverence and respect. He should end with each segment that if you respectfully disagree with how the esteemed gaming industry is handling itself, you should remain quite and suggest their products and services for people who may like them.

He closes with reading a passage from a classical story that is relevant to the discuss at hand and then thanks the industry for providing us with games while apologizing for being a touch critical.

No one likes an angry critic, amirite?

yes this is sarcasm

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like this guy makes a lot of videos. What is his background? Is he just some guy like Ninja people like to watch on youtube or is he like a dev or industry insider?

He used to write for Destructoid before leaving to do his YT thing full-time. I don't know anything beyond that.

May 9, 2018
If you go way back, Jim was the Editor in Chief of Destructoid before starting The Jimquisition on The Escapist (before moving to YT after The Escapist imploded). He has experience in gaming journalism.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Jim needs to change his schtick to a soft spoken TED talk in a turn of the century study room. Then he needs to provide graphs, charts, and maybe even a slide show. He can not use cuss words and must address all parties in reverence and respect. He should end with each segment that if you respectfully disagree with how the esteemed gaming industry is handling itself, you should remain quite and suggest their products and services for people who may like them.

He closes with reading a passage from a classical story that is relevant to the discuss at hand and then thanks the industry for providing us with games while apologizing for being a touch critical.

No one likes an angry critic, amirite?

yes this is sarcasm
He makes his accent comically posh. It'll be great

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

What exactly does anyone get out of Jim's videos. They're not particularly well written or researched. Cover his set in Funko Pops and he blends in with 99% of hot take YouTubers.

So you're still in that stage of life where you can't fathom how people enjoy something you don't.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny the attacks Jim gets when he goes after predatory monetization. It's like he's not allowed to rail against it for some reason or because he's done it before he should stop doing it lol. It's still a problem folks. Until it isn't a problem and these shit companies stop trying to spin it, then he's going to report on it. He's pretty much the only one consistently going on about it. I would love to see a site like IGN speak to it regularly but we will never see that so all we got are people like Jim and I'm glad we do.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The comments are pretty great though. People proposing that pirated EA games be referred to as "surprise demos."

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
As much as I'd otherwise not care to watch another video by Jim or anyone talking about Lootboxes again, this needed to be said.

Just reading the quote from EA had me dumbstruck just from the sheer audacity of them just attempting to sidestep and rebrand lootboxes just because their own practices are coming under close inspection by politicians.

It's really shitty.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018

Finally an angry gamer has something to say about a forum thread they don't like instead of just ignoring it.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
It's funny the attacks Jim gets when he goes after predatory monetization. It's like he's not allowed to rail against it for some reason or because he's done it before he should stop doing it lol. It's still a problem folks. Until it isn't a problem and these shit companies stop trying to spin it, then he's going to report on it. He's pretty much the only one consistently going on about it. I would love to see a site like IGN speak to it regularly but we will never see that so all we got are people like Jim and I'm glad we do.

This

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Jim Sterling: *makes his weekly video about how a multi-billion dollar entertainment company's practices are neither ethical nor sustainable*
Gamers, angry that he said A Bad about Daddy EA:
Rs1wF1D.png

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
Jim Sterling is the best in the business. Forget the other youtubers who try this stuff, they don't matter or reflect on what Jim does in any way. You don't have to agree or be in the mood to think about EA, but what he does is undeniably worthwhile and certainly a voice of reason.

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
He used to write for Destructoid before leaving to do his YT thing full-time. I don't know anything beyond that.
If you go way back, Jim was the Editor in Chief of Destructoid before starting The Jimquisition on The Escapist (before moving to YT after The Escapist imploded). He has experience in gaming journalism.

Ah I see. Seems like he has a lot of content - he must have quite the following.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe EA said something so bizarrely fucking stupid.

I agree but there's no reason it couldn't have been posted in the existing thread since this isn't exactly new material on his part.
This rebranding of "Why do Jim Sterling's videos get their own threads?" is on par with EA's rebranding of Loot Boxes lol.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Why do people come into Jim Sterling threads with shitty hot takes that aren't grounded in reality? You're like the kid who said Jim is comparable to Keemstar or Hannity lmao (still waiting on that proof by the way).

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

He worked for destructoid for many years, spun out in to his own website with a different focus and now currently is as you see his content, with the jimquisition series largely patreon funded .

Also he part times as a wrestler now as mentioned already.

Edit: and I'm quite late for leaving the tab open to watch the video and then not refreshing. Oops.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

He's been an industry personality for quite a few years now. He used to be with The Escapist. Left a few years ago and has been trucking along on his own channel ever since
Also he part times as a wrestler now as mentioned already.
WHAT

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I like how the moment EA finally gets crawling out of the holes it digs itself, it promptly climbs back into them by digging further down

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017

I think Jim's videos are really funny and well-written. He's way more articulate than I'll ever be.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
So you're still in that stage of life where you can't fathom how people enjoy something you don't.

That's literally Jim Sterling's gimmick. That wasn't sarcasm, it was an open question. I don't get why anyone wants to watch some guy painful stretch out a thin opinion into 20 minutes of poorly edited video. Seriously, it's just bad monologues over gameplay almost every video.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Awful post

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
He's been an industry personality for quite a few years now. He used to be with The Escapist. Left a few years ago and has been trucking along on his own channel ever since

WHAT

I'm sure he said on his podcast last week or the week before that he's quit wrestling now. Can't remember the reason why.

I quoted the wrong thing there ^