• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
"In Iwata Asks, there was a comment of an early plot where a certain character close to the game betrays the party, and this comment was discussed at length in the community after the interview was published. Asking Takahashi and Takeda, they said it was a very early storyline that went something like this: after Reyn loses Sharla, he tries to go back in time to change the future. However, they find out, were they to do this, it would result in even more lives being lost, and Shulk opposes this. In the end, Shulk uses the Bionis' power, and Reyn gains the Mechonis' power, and they battle it out to decide who gets to decide the future. As you can see, this is quite different from the storyline we got. Asked why this wasn't used, Takahashi: 'it would be sad for a friend that was with you the whole journey to betray you at the very end.'"

More in the link below:

xenomira.wordpress.com

Shulk VS Reyn Unused Plot

In Monado Archives, there is a small addendum on page 226 that talks about a prototype story for XB1. It comes up in my conversations with others a lot, so I wanted to translate it here for easy re…

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, Sharla dies and Reyn controls the Mechonis to fight Shulk? That's some darkest timeline shit right there lol.

On one hand I vastly prefer the game we ended up with, but on the other hand I'm really curious as to how they would've handled this idea. Would love it if they could explore it with some "parallel universe" bullshit.

Actually, a Xenoblade Musou spin-off would be great for that.................

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
That would've been pretty heckin' gross. Glad they stuck with the good storyline where Sharla gets to live the whole game and has her own character arc instead of being Sad Man's Prop

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Honestly, the villains the game has to offer are very well realized, but I can't say the same about Reyn. Having him as the villain would be like a lot of other rpg of this type. I'm glad the stuck with the storyline we got.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Would have been awesome to hear Reyn's English voice actor say some melodramatic, evil stuff.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Sounds cool since I'm sure they could have pulled it off. But I'm happy with where they went, much more mature and original.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The idea of Reyn with the current voice actor being the final boss would be hilarious.

Definitely would have needed different casting.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the timeframe...

NON-XENO SPOILER
Too similar to The Last Story?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god it didnt happen, it doent work with Reyn's character at all. Also lol at killing another
female character after Fiora in the first arc, while she is not dead much later in the game

The only people that think this can be cool is people that like edgy generic stuf becuase it happens fucking everywhere. Lets have fun characters still be fun characters.
Im also glad Dragon Quest 11 doesnt go the edgy way with Eric when it was so easy with that design and the sister stuff.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, that... would've made for a very different game.

People thought the traitor was Dunban, right? I recall claims that he and Dickson were originally one character, but I never saw any source.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
This would have been a damn disaster.

Reyn is the best bro (also the best colour of the rainbow).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
doing the same thing again after fiora would have been creatively bankrupt. and you'd just make yourself look bad as far as female representation goes (funny saying since Takahashi swings both ways with that). thank god that didn't happen

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine a lot of plot and character details would've been handled differently throughout the game if they actually went with this plan, but I still can't imagine this working out as well as what we have now

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
doing the same thing again after fiora would have been creatively bankrupt. and you'd just make yourself look bad as far as female representation goes (funny saying since Takahashi swings both ways with that). thank god that didn't happen
To be fair the way the interview goes makes me suspect that Fiora's storyline would have been handled very differently if they were actually going to go this route
though this could easily just be that she stayed dead after the initial metal face encounter

Minions

Oct 25, 2017
What a Jokah!

Would be cool if the remaster included a alternate play through. One can dream right?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
"Now it's Reyn time(line)!"

But yeah it woulda just been awkward. Would be like if Wakka became a major antagonist part way thru FFX (though "it's like pretty fireworks yah" to an entire culture's home being exploded probably deserved a slap from someone)

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
"Sorry Shulk...

*Mechonis strikes a battle pose*

BUT IT'S REYN TIME!"

"Reyn...your betrayal...

*Bionis strikes a battle pose*

I'M REALLY FEELING IT!"

Cue

Last edited:

Lugalbanda

Apr 26, 2018
Mira
To be fair the way the interview goes makes me suspect that Fiora's storyline would have been handled very differently if they were actually going to go this route
though this could easily just be that she stayed dead after the initial metal face encounter
I don't have any evidence for this that I can cite off the top of my head, but I'm quite confident she would have been handled roughly the same, reading the MA interview.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this whole hypothetical timeline would work best if her story stayed the same. it'd be Reyn's motivation

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Oh hey its
The Last Story

But yeah, that would be a completely different game. I'd be up for a "You start out with a best friend but you slowly drift apart and become enemies" plot in XB3 though, sounds dope.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
That honestly sounds a lot more interesting than the plot we got.

Why was Zanza evil to begin with? I remember that scene in the space station but I don't remember them explaining why any of that happened.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
That is explained in

Xenoblade 2

Oh okay. Fuck sake Monolith why did you have to make Xenoblade 2 titty gatcha garbage? There's all this juicy plot I want to see but I don't want to have to suffer through blade field skills and the like.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019

Why was Zanza evil to begin with? I remember that scene in the space station but I don't remember them explaining why any of that happened.

Yeah that part of the ending feels abrupt. I think he was just some guy who took his universe destroying/resetting science experiment too far.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Guess all that potential time travel energy got redirected towards cucking Melia!
ftfy

Super Layman explanation: In Xeno lore, going way back to Gears
Everyone's personality is made up of three parts: the Ego, Super Ego and ID. The Super Ego is "you", while the Ego and ID are different aspects of yourself respectively (stuff like emotions, fears, hatred, etc). In some cases in Xeno, it can be possible to physically separate the three parts into different entities; so you get situations like Fei/Id Mythra/Pyra and Klaus/Zanza. Technically the same person but only part of their aspects, which in Id and Zanzas case are destructive in nature.

Thank goodness they didn't go that route. Having two female party members die to motivate male characters would've come off as disrespectful. Plus, I find the idea Reyn as he was characterized in the final product becoming opposed to Shulk very unbelievable.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
ftfy

Super Layman explanation: In Xeno lore, going way back to Gears
Everyone's personality is made up of three parts: the Ego, Super Ego and ID. The Super Ego is "you", while the Ego and ID are different aspects of yourself respectively (stuff like emotions, fears, hatred, etc). In some cases in Xeno, it can be possible to physically separate the three parts into different entities; so you get situations like Fei/Id Mythra/Pyra and Klaus/Zanza. Technically the same person but only part of their aspects, which in Id and Zanzas case are destructive in nature.

See I remember that from Xenogears but it was completely brushed over in Xenoblade 1. I hope the remake offers them more opportunity to delve a bit more into this. I really need to play though 2 before DE I guess.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
It's interesting but I'm glad they didn't do it. Doesn't fit Reyn's character as the air-headed tank and it's hard to picture him as a villain.

I don't remember (it's been several years) but did they ever hint at a romantic relationship between Reyn and Sharla? I always thought they had a thing for each other but I don't think it was a 100% shipping.

It's interesting but I'm glad they didn't do it. Doesn't fit Reyn's character as the air-headed tank and it's hard to picture him as a villain.

I don't remember (it's been several years) but did they ever hint at a romantic relationship between Reyn and Sharla? I always thought they had a thing for each other but I don't think it was a 100% shipping.
I recall there being a moment where Sharla suggests Reyn becoming a father figure to Juju in place of Gadolt. Most people got the idea that they were into each other.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017

Yes. Reyn obviously likes Sharla, and Sharla is looking for a father figure for Juju in Reyn.

Nov 17, 2017
LET ME AT 'EM

(alleyoop!)
"Shulk, I know you're stronger than this! You're holding back!"

"You're my friend, Reyn! I don't want to fight you!"

"Come on! Give it some OOMPH!"

I wouldn't be surprised if this version of Reyn was a completely different character archetype and it was only after they decided to go in a different direction with him that he got the personality we know and love.

Also the Sharla and Reyn pairing starts almost immediately, quite awkwardly. Literally the first time we meet Sharla she compares him to her fiance and Reyn literally calls her out by saying something like "What am I? A Gadolt subsitute?" Which is basically what happens?? Ehhhhhh?

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Honestly, the villains the game has to offer are very well realized, but I can't say the same about Reyn. Having him as the villain would be like a lot of other rpg of this type. I'm glad the stuck with the storyline we got.

Hmmmm

The storyline we got focuses so much on Shulk and Fiora the other party members barely get anything, but I'm not sure I like idea in OP.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

They practically threw heart emojis on screen whenever they were together with a extra bit of "boy it sure sucks your fiance is dead and boy my brother sure does look up to you like a big brother, huh?"

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They Reyn x Sharla thing wasn't subtle at all. They stopped just short of outright banging