• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also wonder if Sony will continue to have collaborations between Fumito Ueda and Studio Japan. Would love to see him bring the PS4/5 to their respective knee's.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
The game has had an amazing WOM, it's praised everywhere. The problem is Sony didn't market the game at all in the west, made GR1 Remastered exclusive to Amazon physically, released a terrible demo, and released it in the most competitive time of 2017, next to Resident Evil 7, Ni-Oh, the Switch presentation, and Horizon.

Not true at all. Gravity Rush 2/R sold poorly at launch, and based on sales trajectory, completely plummeted immediately shortly after - highlighting that whatever WoM it had among the echo chamber of hardcore Gravity Rush fans didn't matter one bit.

In my opinion, the harsh reality of Gravity Rush is that the IP simply didn't connect at all to the general audience.

The metrics for Gravity Rush IP were absurdly bad. Absurdly so. Games with zero marketing can easily get 5x the viewcount on YouTube by just a shadow drop. We like to say how there's a huge disconnect among audiences for Ubisoft games ( they don't have high engagement on forums, but sell crazy well ) and Gravity Rush is the exact opposite. ( have high engagement on forums, and sell extremely badly )

Before even talking about WOM for games, the first thing a game needs to be is to be interesting or appealing. Gravity Rush is among the few games out there where in spite of having unique visual aspects that make it stand out, the IP itself was, based on metrics were so unappealing that all the previews and 'decently positive' reviews in the world won't matter one bit because the general audience already wrote off the game from their minds day one.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playstation Allstars Battle Royale 2 please.

But I would be happy with a AAA RPG. Astrobot is amazing, so I'd also be content with a full blown Astrobot game that didn't require PSVR, to be Sony's Mario.

They need to poach a great director or two. They have talent, but seem to lack the. I thought Becker was supposed to elevate them. Hasn't happened yet.

I think one of main guys from the Silent Hill team is already making games for Sony. I think he created Siren.

Wasn't he responsible for the wooden doll platformer that bombed

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't know what it means, but if it means we'll see more japanese and japanese-oriented Sony exclusives I'm really happy. Personally I've gotten fed up with the turgid western "movie" esque games from Sony for a while now. Used to like them but any too much of the good stuff eventually gets old, and they've been harping so strongly on this "desaturated color palette, movie-like tone, good script" kind of video-game with hamstrung gameplay mechanics too much.

I've felt the same way for a while. They aren't always perfect games, but I've always loved what Japan Studios puts out and I hope they keep that "Japanese Creativity" at the forefront as always.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
I would buy any of these:

Puppeteer remaster/2/VR
Ape Escape remake/4/VR
Knack 3/VR
Astro Bot 2
giphy.gif

There are dozens of us! that want this game. DOZENS!

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Dark Cloud 3 I think is a legit possibility after Level-5's president said that he is interested in making it happen but it's up to Sony as they're co-owners of the IP.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
They need to poach a great director or two. They have talent, but seem to lack the. I thought Becker was supposed to elevate them. Hasn't happened yet.

I think one of main guys from the Silent Hill team is already making games for Sony. I think he created Siren.

Toriyama. He's the creator of Silent Hill. He's also the creator of Siren and Gravity Rush and yes, he works at Japan Studio.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Dark Cloud 3 I think is a legit possibility after Level-5's president said that he is interested in making it happen but it's up to Sony as they're co-owners of the IP.

Not co-owners. Sony is the only owner of Dark Cloud.

https://trademarks.justia.com/761/22/dark-76122325.html

Level 5 has no say other than Sony only deciding to make it with Level 5 out of respect. Similar to if BB2 ever happened Japan Studio wouldn't make it without From Software out of respect. If Sony wanted to they could continue both franchises themselves without input from either Level 5 or From Software, but they have respect for both so I don't think they would ever do that.

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Not co-owners. Sony is the only owner of Dark Cloud.

https://trademarks.justia.com/761/22/dark-76122325.html

Level 5 has no say other than Sony only deciding to make it with Level 5 out of respect. Similar to if BB2 ever happened Japan Studio wouldn't make it without From Software out of respect. If Sony wanted to they could continue both franchises themselves without input from either Level 5 or From Software, but they have respect for both so I don't think they would ever do that.

Yeah I misremembered the quote.

"There has been a lot of requests and voices to create a Dark Cloud 3 or some form of Dark Cloud," Hino told Polygon. "That IP is co-owned or managed by Sony Computer Entertainment, so it's not something that we can do or act upon on our own."

https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/22/16182888/dark-cloud-3-level-5-akihiro-hino-interview

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Last edited:

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have been this generation.

JPRGs not named Final Fantasy(or Kingdom Hearts) don't sell. Can't see them making a massive investment in one just for fan service.
They made/make AA games like Erica, PlayLink, Knack, Gravity Rush, Concrete Genie, etc. So yes, it's time to make some JRPGs for us JRPG fans. Doesn't have to be AAA. Just make one with an AA budget :)

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
They have been this generation.
They got Bloodborne, Horizon, Uncharted, God of War, The Show, and Spider-Man right. But they've dropped the ball in many ways too. No follow up to Until Dawn or Bloodborne in sight. Instead Sony had those studios putting out VR games as follow ups to those extraordinary games. Forgive me for not being as optimistic about the choices Sony the games publisher has made recently.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's AAA, but not Horizon/GOW/Uncharted level. I guess I meant something that can be successful/profitable without selling 5 million+ copies like Bloodborne or Detroit.
Yeah I want something with a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 budget. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was good and got developed by a really small team. Let's go, Shu and Shawn. Do it already ;)

Oct 25, 2017
They got Bloodborne, Horizon, Uncharted, God of War, The Show, and Spider-Man right. But they've dropped the ball in many ways too. No follow up to Until Dawn or Bloodborne in sight. Instead Sony had those studios putting out VR games as follow ups to those extraordinary games. Forgive me for not being as optimistic about the choices Sony the games publisher has made recently.

Sony doesn't own From Software. They can't make them make another Bloodborne. The VR game was basically a small side project.

Same for Supermassive. They said they didn't want to make exclusives any more and their next big project is multiplatform.

You might subjectively not have faith in them as publisher, but objectively they are doing amazing and nothing indicates that will be changing.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Sony doesn't own From Software. They can't make them make another Bloodborne. The VR game was basically a small side project.

Same for Supermassive. They said they didn't want to make exclusives any more and their next big project is multiplatform.

You might subjectively not have faith in them as publisher, but objectively they are doing amazing and nothing indicates that will be changing.
I hope you're right.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
...Personally I've gotten fed up with the turgid western "movie" esque games from Sony for a while now. Used to like them ....
Well...this goes too far for me. Quality is quality. I am interested to see what Sony of Japan will churn up though, since a fire in their belly has been ignited. This seems most likely related to the fervor whipped up by Ghost of Tsushima coming from a western studio and Sekiro, Project Judge and possibly the forthcoming Ominusha reboot.

There haven't been prominent games steeped Japanese aesthetic/culture/lore for quite some time and it seems like a lot of Japanese studios have been stuck in the past just trying to catch their breath to catch up to other studios. Now it seems many studios are hitting their stride again. It would be nice to see Japan studio reimagine something like Soul Sacrifice or something else on an epic scale.