• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
altered carbon season 1 was not a masterpiece but good entertainment with super high production values, also the amount of gore & sex made it stand out.

season 2 gets rid of all those qualities. season 2 feels like a straight to-video sequel for a super blockbuster. also the whole season is shit: awful characters, story and a miscast leading man.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I still like parts of GoT and remember them fondly even after fumbling the ending.

HIMYM was not just an out of the blue twist (pretty much) but it retroactivitly burnt the show out of culture. I've not heard anyone bring it up in any context since the finale except to talk about the finale and the show was HUGE before that.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
The final scene in Panty and Stocking. They left it on a cliffhanger and GAINAX basically imploded after with no way to finish it.

Shadow-Link

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This definitely applies to Game of Thrones. I enjoyed that show, despite its faults, all the way up to Season 7. I always planned on rewatching it from the start to finish, shortly after the last season wrapped. Now, after season 8, I don't care about it at all.

This happened to me. I always thought of revisiting the show, but season 8 was so bad it retroactively ruined it. I don't plan to watch it ever again.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Valvrave was terrible from the start. Like if you mixed Code Geass with some Gundam elements while also making it even more awful than Code Geass.

May 26, 2018
I think for GoT you can actually trace it back to either the Sansa rape scene or the Jamie/Cersei rape scene - whichever happened first. That's the first time I remember the show burning a ton of good will for a book departure that ultimately didn't service the plot at all.

Season 4's finale did it for me, when Tyrion'a complexity was abandoned and he became Mr. "I Drink and Know Things" forever more…

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I have a feeling this anime I'm watching called Higehiro is going in a way I don't want it to.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
While the first season wasnt amazing i think most people (myself included) were tricked into watching the second season of Aldonah Zero when
boring main character boy gets shot in the eye then just shrugs it off and becomes a lame Big boss
The start of the second season was a collective fuck off to the show

But for me, I've never seen a series drop the ball and betray its audience as hard as Kado: The Right Answer.

Oof a great answer. What were they thinking in the last thrid of that show?

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Valvrave was terrible from the start. Like if you mixed Code Geass with some Gundam elements while also making it even more awful than Code Geass.
It wasn't good, but it was interesting and compelling to watch all the weird directions it kept taking.

Then that moment happened.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
If you really want the scene that broke the whole storyline of Game of Thrones, it's this one.

d2d3c5a4c1f3886f69c21263d3e17c65.jpg

From here, nothing could be fixed.
The show was still extremely popular, that doesn't seem to fit 'ruined all the reputation with the public' to paraphrase. I hated that story as well, I remember the storyline in the book with Jeyne Poole.. I knew they were going to depict a rape scene, but hoped the show runners might subvert it and have Sansa assassinate Ramsay, instead of exploiting her to more abuse after Joffrey aswell.

Oct 25, 2017
Wayward Pines started out as a weird Twin Peaks-esque mystery show, where you are left trying to figure out what is going on. Is it time travel? Or alternate dimensions? Maybe magic?... And then they just explained the entire mystery in the fourth episode. It goes in a completely different direction from what they had been setting up, and the show basically changes to a different genre after that.
S2 was even worse,
They were like "if you remotely liked S1.... well fuck you"

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Just for variety I'm sure there's an episode/scene of Lost where everyone collectively went Fuck This Show but I only caught it in binge form so I don't know.
you really don't feel just how SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW the shot got in the first six or so episodes of Season three (which is where I bet 50% of the people who started the show live quit) when you are binging it.

Though the real answer is either Hurley's episode about ewoks in season 5 or the first episode of season 6 (if you are watching via binge).

My answer for this, Season 6 episode 4 of 24: literally a nuclear bomb destroys valencia and Jack Bauer kills probably the most fan favorite character on the show at that point. Just AWFUL after how great season 5 was. (the first six seasons of 24 are essentially two trilogies, 1-3 telling the story about why Jack Bauer Protecting President Palmer, 4-6 tells a story about government corruption and illegal dealings by a corrupt US vice president and how Jack deals with it and the aftermath) I have no idea how the rest of the series is because I quit after season 6, I couldn't hang after the powers that be just Blew up a nuclear bomb in California.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game of Thrones was already struggling in season four, but there's one scene in season five that pushed it over the cliff: Sansa's wedding night. The rest of the garbage in seasons five, six, seven, and eight were shoveling dirt on a corpse that wouldn't die.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Season 2 of Promised Neverland. Season 1 was pristine, full of tension, mystery, thrilling twists and lore… I've never seen a second season so spectacularly nosedive after building up the world and potential it had. The show apparently ignored the manga completely for S2 and it shows.
Well... The manga did that too just that S2 was basically a speedrun so any apparent explanation was avoided and they skipped the only remaining decent arc :v

Crossing my fingers for the Shadows House anime, adapted by the same studio, the manga is still going solid (Recommended by the way) but the anime is already going by the original route because maybe they only got one cour order with no chances of renewal... :p

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
That one scene in Penny Dreadful where Vanessa decides not to fuck Dracula up and instead joins him. Not only was it completely out of left field but it betrayed every damn scene she had been in since the first episode. Her entire journey as a character just thrown out the window so they could end the show in the next few episodes. Fuck that still makes me so angry. You kids and your Daenerys don't even know what character assassination is. >:0

I wish you hadn't reminded me of this. I had put those memories in a dark dungeon, and now I'm upset again.

I don't blame Eva Green for that really, mainly the writer/showrunner. Though she did make a bad choice considering the show allowed her some of the best acting of her career so far.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
While the first season wasnt amazing i think most people (myself included) were tricked into watching the second season of Aldonah Zero when
boring main character boy gets shot in the eye then just shrugs it off and becomes a lame Big boss
The start of the second season was a collective fuck off to the show
Nah, I was still with it in season 2 hoping for that legendary clash between super-advanced predictive computation robot VS A.I. assisted brain pilot robot.
And then he turned himself in instead and nobody fought. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

nutmeg

Apr 23, 2021
Daenerys ending was the gravestone, but GOT died when they raped Sansa for absolutely no reason (It wasnt even her storyline in the books.)

I sensed that was where the show was going and thankfully noped the hell out before I had the unfortune to see it. That was somewhere in season four. To think that people say this is before the show -really- got bad...

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
If you're going to go with GoT, it's the Jaime/Cersei rape scene that stands out to me.

They spent like two seasons rehabilitating Jaime's character and giving him a great redemption arc, only for him to return to King's Landing and immediately do… that. And it served basically no plot purpose.

Of all the ways to deviate from the books, this felt like the most damaging and pointless, and was clearly just done for shock purposes.
100% this.

That's when I was like "Ah yes, I see these writers will abandon anything meaningful for characters and their arcs for a lil shock value".

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to add Star vs the Forces of Evil to the list here. Like the last season faltered some in general, but the ending of that made most of the fandom go from wanting more to... yeah... we're good. The fans who still actually want more don't view the ending as what it was...
mass genocide.
yeah....

Aloysius

Nov 5, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
Game of Thrones starting doing generic TV bullshit back when they stabbed Arya for no reason other than cliffhanger and she was fine the next episode. It was all downhill from there. Fun to watch, but not good anymore.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a race to see how early in GoT's run we can go to pinpoint where it started to go wrong. What a series! It's the only show where we can debate which gross rape scene was the worst.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
For Game of Thrones, it absolutely was Bad Danaerys. Not for me, personally, nor for you, maybe. But for the "eyes of the public", it definitely was. That was the scene that pissed off the general public, including some friends of mine, who I just couldn't convince that the show sucked before that moment. That scene was the catalyst for the bulk of the backlash against the show.

Every really key bad scene before that (and there were several) was forgiven, or at least given reserved judgement, as everyone waited to see if they could stick the landing anyway. Bad Dany was the last straw.

Which is too bad, really. Because Bad Dany is the absolutely correct outcome of her story line. It's just that they did such a shit job of setting it up. And of executing it, for that matter.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
It's been discussed to death, but every moment of "Scott's Tots" makes The Office fundamentally unwatchable in hindsight. You can't even ignore that episode, because it's the most honest exploration of Michael Scott's character of the entire series.

And god, then Carell leaves the show, then comes back for Jim and Pam's wedding, and Pam is moved to tears because her old fuckup boss showed up to her wedding??

Fuck The Office.

edit: and I realize this doesn't really fit the prompt, because that episode did nothing to dampen the wider audience's obsession with the show, but it ought to have.

Last edited:

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I actually watched that Quibi show with Anna Kendrick "Dummy" where she befriends a sex doll. A fine comedy, nothing to write home about. But then in the second to last episode...

The dummy decides she wants to have sex with a 14 year old boy neighbor and Anna Kendrick's character actually tries to set it up.

Was it supposed to be funny? Holy shit dude.

nutmeg

Apr 23, 2021
For Game of Thrones, it absolutely was Bad Danaerys. Not for me, personally, nor for you, maybe. But for the "eyes of the public", it definitely was.

I like to think a lot of people were deterred from creative decisions earlier in the show, but in fact you are right. The viewership of the show was huge and only grew bigger until the very end. The finale is the single most watched HBO episode.

Which is too bad, really. Because Bad Dany is the absolutely correct outcome of her story line. It's just that they did such a shit job of setting it up. And of executing it, for that matter.

I don't remember if it's only the book or the show also, but at least the book clearly establishes that the Targaryan lineage has a history of mental illness.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember if it's only the book or the show also, but at least the book clearly establishes that the Targaryan lineage has a history of mental illness.

It's well-established that the Targaryens are unstable in the books, and the show. Definitely one of the things the show stayed true about. Literally everyone should've seen Bad Dany coming. And I truly think that it could've been a great "Red Wedding" type of moment - the sort of shock that you still totally buy into - if they'd handled it right.

If GRRM ever finishes the books (LOL), he's going to have a tough job selling that turn now.

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
HIMYM wins cause they chose a scene filmed with kids years ago to be clever over years of character development. I might be wrong but the final kid scene was filed during season 3 right. And they kept it.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Daenerys blowing up King's Landing.. the thread?
Game of Thrones had this moment far earlier than that.

I didn't like the show much from season 5 onwards anyway, but for me the definite moment where I went "okay, fuck this shit, they're clearly not even trying anymore so why should I care" was the episode in S7 where the gang goes beyond the Wall in a bizarre ploy to find a zombie, take it back across the continent to show Cersei proof of the undead. That entire episode and the idea behind it were just so incredibly dumb that me and a couple of friends just gave up.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I (mostly) loved Lost from beginning to end, but the Across the Sea ep came perilously close to ruining the show for me. The fact that it was the third to last episode was especially nerve wracking lol

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is saying GoT jumped the shark with the ending or with how they handled Sansa but for someone who read the book it was clear to me that it was garbage the way they handled the death of the Night King.

So many prophecies about winter and in practice the army of the undead was pretty much unstoppable. Dragons, Dothraki, the Wall, the North, etc. Nothing could slow them down but when he died with a classically shitty GoT surprise offscreen out of nowhere death then I knew that was the point of the whole show and it was just stupid all around. It was all just for shock value and for me it never recovered because I was hoping to see some deeper meaning in the prophecies and the history of the show but it was really just a way to set up the next surprise or shock.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it was more fans wanting her to be the hero of the show. It's an abrupt point in the show, granted, but she had lusted after blood before and Tyrion had to talk her out of burning a city down in the past.
Nah, it just wasn't built up well enough. That's it. Simply dropping small hints (will she or won't she be a mad queen like her dad? who knows!) isn't enough if the end result still doesn't feel entirely justified

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Game of Thrones had this moment far earlier than that.

I didn't like the show much from season 5 onwards anyway, but for me the definite moment where I went "okay, fuck this shit, they're clearly not even trying anymore so why should I care" was the episode in S7 where the gang goes beyond the Wall in a bizarre ploy to find a zombie, take it back across the continent to show Cersei proof of the undead. That entire episode and the idea behind it were just so incredibly dumb that me and a couple of friends just gave up.

It's pretty hilarious in general how the writers just gave less and less fucks about distances and travel time as the series went on.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It's well-established that the Targaryens are unstable in the books, and the show. Definitely one of the things the show stayed true about. Literally everyone should've seen Bad Dany coming. And I truly think that it could've been a great "Red Wedding" type of moment - the sort of shock that you still totally buy into - if they'd handled it right.

If GRRM ever finishes the books (LOL), he's going to have a tough job selling that turn now.
I think the main difference on this front between book and show is that the books have pretty much never shown Dany as a good or stable leader. She's literally a child that's learning by doing and her attempts at being totally benevolent backfired completely when Yunkai pretty much reverted back to how they were the second Dany left, so in Meereen you already see a much less forgiving and more violent side of Dany that, if left unchecked, can pretty much only lead to disaster. Pretty much every one reading the books knows that if the books are ever finished (lol), Dany will more than likely be a villain than an ally.

The show, on the other hand, constantly made Dany into a good and righteous person. Sure, she burned some people here and there, but the show always made the argument that these are bad people that needed to be burned and honestly those violent bouts were always offset by Dany being benevolent and genuinely helpful in the next scene. So when in the second-to-last episode episode the show went 'woop, she's gone full genocidal maniac now', nobody bought it. Even when the show (and some fans, also here on ERA) tried to clumsily defend it by saying "Well, she has murdered people in the past" and "Varys once said the thing about coinflips", nobody really buys that as proper set-up because, well, there was no proper set-up. It would've been if the show actually had followed the books with Dany's arc, but they didn't and the final twist didn't work because of it.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I think the main difference on this front between book and show is that the books have pretty much never shown Dany as a good or stable leader. She's literally a child that's learning by doing and her attempts at being totally benevolent backfired completely when Yunkai pretty much reverted back to how they were the second Dany left, so in Meereen you already see a much less forgiving and more violent side of Dany that, if left unchecked, can pretty much only lead to disaster. Pretty much every one reading the books knows that if the books are ever finished (lol), Dany will more than likely be a villain than an ally.

The show, on the other hand, constantly made Dany into a good and righteous person. Sure, she burned some people here and there, but the show always made the argument that these are bad people that needed to be burned and honestly those violent bouts were always offset by Dany being benevolent and genuinely helpful in the next scene. So when in the second-to-last episode episode the show went 'woop, she's gone full genocidal maniac now', nobody bought it. Even when the show (and some fans, also here on ERA) tried to clumsily defend it by saying "Well, she has murdered people in the past" and "Varys once said the thing about coinflips", nobody really buys that as proper set-up because, well, there was no proper set-up. It would've been if the show actually had followed the books with Dany's arc, but they didn't and the final twist didn't work because of it.

Agreed, though I do find that it's still pretty easy to root for Dany in the books, too. She's not getting the results, but that's because she's a nobody that is trying to rule, not because she's unstable. But that only plays back into the eventual turn; she's not going to blame herself. She's too arrogant. Doubly so, really; she not only thinks ruling is her birthright, but also that she deserves to rule because she's just.

But, if you don't look too closely, her heart is in the right place. So it's easy to get behind her as a good guy. GRRM writes her very well in this regard, though some people who see through it seem to hate her more for it.

That does come across in the show, too, but it's completely undermined by other characters going on about how righteous she is. Tyrion does it - another fan favorite who gets painted as better than he really is. Barristan and Jorah Mormant do it. Even Varys does it, and he should know better.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
The big anticlimactic fight at the end of Heroes S1.

Most shows have a botched finale or slow decline but I can't think of a better example of a single scene than that.

Homeland S1 chickening out of the natural conclusion is close but the goodwill was still there, they did good things after, it just never lived up to that early potential again.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
I wouldnt call it just one scene but The walking Dead's zombie ninja scenes i always felt were bullshit.

also this,

After that season, i stopped watching.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
It's a race to see how early in GoT's run we can go to pinpoint where it started to go wrong. What a series! It's the only show where we can debate which gross rape scene was the worst.
The show was shaky for me in S1 when they gave a bunch of screen time to a prostitute which seemed to be purely for the nudity (among other things, it's just what I remember complaining about the most haha).
And it continued to deviate with dumb stuff in S2 and I was out.