• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does The Crown count?

House was fine after replacing Cameron and Chase
Stargate SG-1 had a lot of cast changes that mostly worked. As did Atlantis
Earth: Final Conflict replaced the main character. It's hard to say that the quality didn't decline, since it was never amazing but I liked the replacement. For the final season they basically replaced the final cast and was unwatchable though
Law and Order or any long running show of course

at any rate, the best cast change was adding danny devito to Always Sunny

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Both 90210 and Charmed with Shannon Doherty.

I mentioned Tori from Saved by the Bell in the other thread as a bad rework, but the rework from Good Morning Miss Bliss to Saved by the Bell changed the show entirely (from a Hayley Mills centric show to a student-centric show) and it's the one best remembered.

And I thought the Hogan Family with Sandy Duncan was perfectly fine after Valerie Harper left/was fired.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not really a show cast change, but the role of Donna in Twin Peaks was recast for the film. Honestly can't say it was a bad change either.

aJ0B0Jr.jpg

I wish I could agree, but that's more down to the show writer/runner than the character.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Rome wasn't any worse for the recast of Octavian, replacing Max Pirkis with Simon Woods. In fact, his depiction of Octavian was superior.

gaius-octavian-rome-character-f09031b4-2cd9-4a07-b84c-d793db8f059-resize-750.jpeg

2puWr61.jpeg

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
24 swapped it's cast several times a season, and largely was fine, until Season 5 when they killed too many characters and didn't have anyone left for Season 6. I didn't see the reboot but I imagine it didn't do great swapping out Kiefer Sutherland either.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Cheers is the GOAT example.

Misfits transitioned to a whole new team for the last couple of seasons. A movie that united both teams was in the works, but by then many of the actors had moved on to other projects.
Eh, disagree a bit on Misfits. Apart from Rudy, the later cast members were just kinda...meh. Then it went a bit off the deep end in the last season.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
New Girl had Coach in the pilot, replaced him with Winston in the next episode, then eventually brought Coach back into the main cast two seasons later (until he left again)

he was also blatantly named after Coach from Cheers, which makes it more fun

He got picked up for another show and since TV is always on shakey ground from cancellations, I guess he just followed his heart. Winston absolutely rocked as a repacement, so good call on this choice. I thought it was really sweet they let Coach back on when his show didn't work out some years later, and the chemistry/dynamic between them never changed, heck it made the show just a little sweeter since its main cast was all friendly to one another.

Great choice mopinks!

at any rate, the best cast change was adding danny devito to Always Sunny

I mean, season 1's of most shows are generally a bit slow and awkward, but yeah, I'd agree and definitely argue IASIP needed Devito. It's certainly great when they had a nice excuse to dabble in more illicit affairs because Frank is this random crazy wealthy businessman who (almost by default) dabbles in all sorta of dubious shenanigans. ... But I really often wonder what the show would have been like without him.

Anyways, DeVito is totally accurate.

My pick is easy:
cfuncnk8xx821.png

This nobody from Parks and Rec. Good ol Mark Brandana-quits.
He was a handsome(ish) straight man who could apparently pick up girls, flirted with Leslie awkwardly, dated Ann and even she gets bored of him which leads him quitting his job and leaving the show.

Blah. Having little sway on the story, playing a straight-guy in a comedy with the already better straight-girl Ann --- so they were a couple without any real quirks or big defining personalities/arcs. He was like The Office's Jim Halpert but 50x less staying power and way less fun. He leaves and gives plans to a new park to Leslie --- which is immediately forgotten and he is never heard from again. ...And no one cared, and his short 2-ish season stint is still mocked for being pretty pointless. :/

Despite Mark being a bag of suck. The show THEN added two characters on the same episode he leaves; and Ben and Chris immediately over-filled the small vacant hole left by Mark's departure. A health nut and a nerd bets out Mark's..... overwhelming amount of meh. Look at this gif!
tenor.gif

I brought up Tasha Yar in the other thread, but she works here. I feel bad, there should have been something more for her, but this show was already full of amusing and diverse personalities.... she (and let's lump the season 2 doctor in as well) is just sorta hard to remember.

tumblr_plycuiPmgp1qeocdjo5_250.gifv

LzSPgKc.gif

Last edited:

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Bewitched. Changed actor for the husband and kept on going.
Chyah, right, as if we wouldn't notice!
Wait a second.
Dick Sargent.
Dick York.
Sergeant York.

Whoa, that's weird.
Married with Children. Jefferson replacing Steve.
I always liked Jefferson more than Steve, but that may also have been a result of the writing being better
Steve was a better contrast or foil. No shade on Ted McGinley though, I'm glad he finally got a series that survived.
He was definitely the straight player the show needed, but they wrote Jefferson enough to be a straight player but also join in the show's hijinx when needed.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
arguments can be made for whether on not Kes was a major character, but Seven of Nine was much more interesting and Jeri Ryan became one of the best Trek TV actors imo

Neelix was also 10x less annoying after Kes left, too. i know he got less focus as the show went on, but the constant jealousy/paranoia about Kes was cringey as hell

Joliet Jake

Oct 27, 2017
The season of House where he narrowed down a new team from like a 100 people throughout the whole season. Probably the last good/great season of the show though.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I brought up Tasha Yar in the other thread, but she works here. I feel bad, there should have been something more for her, but this show was already full of amusing and diverse personalities.... she (and let's lump the season 2 doctor in as well) is just sorta hard to remember.

tumblr_plycuiPmgp1qeocdjo5_250.gifv

LzSPgKc.gif
I always missed Yar and wished she could have been there longer to see how her acting and personality would flesh out. I'm also a fan of the dark horse of Dr Pulaski if only because Gates McFadden couldn't act her way out of a paper bag (at the time?) and she grew more as a character, particularly surrounding her attitude towards Data.

Double entry: Voyager

Lost Kes, who I liked (but again, Lien couldn't really act) but gained Seven who was divisive among some fans and critics, but overall added a lot to the show.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Power Rangers was able to keep going strong in the early seasons despite switching up the cast (and yes, I know some of this was for unsavory reasons).

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this counts, but Brandanowitz from Parks and Rec was one of the main characters and just was written out. Show went on just fine without him and I actually forgot he was gone.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Death In Paradise has done very well, with only Elizabeth Bourgine and Don Warrington still around from the first series, neither of whom were completely central to the core cases (Camille Bordey was the mother of one of the officers, and ran the bar they frequented; later she became mayor. Selwyn Patterson was the police commissioner and therefore acted as both a mild antogonist and an ally - true to the law, but also aware of the political implications of the main detectives' investigations.

All four roles in the main police station have been replaced over time, with four different leads detectives over ten series. It's got very *good* at doing so, as well, having the confidence to manage to replace the lead character *mid-season* in one season without - to my recollection - much advance warning that it was going to do so!

8lMzOw1.png

gEoQZSY.jpg

LmqFeL8.png

MswW5tY.png

s5ZXh08.png

0vdQnk8.png
Don't know if this show is good but we got a potential thread winner.

I'm really shocked about Babylon 5. There were so many setups in season 1 that paid off later on that this looked totally planned.

Mugenhunt

Oct 17, 2019
Power Rangers was able to keep going strong in the early seasons despite switching up the cast (and yes, I know some of this was for unsavory reasons).

Yeah. I have to give credit to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers season 2 here, because they managed to make a storyline to write out half the cast without those actors being available. Sure, as an adult you can realize how awkward it was that all of a sudden half the team were only being shown from behind when not morphed, and that their voices sounded off, and conveniently the team would split up so that the half whose actors were still around would be doing things, while these three new teenagers who wear the same colors as the other rangers keep getting involved in the plot...

But managing to do almost 10 episodes without half the actors since they went on strike and then got fired, and through those episodes set up the new replacement Rangers so that the change seemed organic was decently done.

Still horrible that they got fired for trying to go on strike for decent wages and less awful work hours though.

Likewise, the cast of Power Rangers Turbo discovering they were getting fired by seeing the audition notice for their replacements.

Mugenhunt

Oct 17, 2019
I'm really shocked about Babylon 5. There were so many setups in season 1 that paid off later on that this looked totally planned.
JMS was really good at taking what he had planned for season 1, and totally throwing out the original plans and making something that was honestly much better.

I do sincerely lament that contract disputes meant that Claudia Christian didn't return for season 5 though. It would have gone a long way towards making the first half of season 5 much easier to watch. As it stands a lot of people give up on season 5 and don't watch the last half which was in my honest opinion as solid as season 3 and 4.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
He got picked up for another show and since TV is always on shakey ground from cancellations, I guess he just followed his heart. Winston absolutely rocked as a repacement, so good call on this choice. I thought it was really sweet they let Coach back on when his show didn't work out some years later, and the chemistry/dynamic between them never changed, heck it made the show just a little sweeter since its main cast was all friendly to one another.

I think it was that nobody expected Happy Endings to get renewed and so the cast went out and shot pilots. Good thing it did though, since Happy Endings ended up being one of the best network comedies of recent memory.

It took them a bit to figure out Winston and give him substantial storylines, and that annoyed me, but he always was a delight even if all he has to do was be weird in a scene.

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Not sure Dr. Who should count as the entire premise is that the characters/actors will change periodically. That is one of the main points of the show.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Both 90210 and Charmed with Shannon Doherty.

I mentioned Tori from Saved by the Bell in the other thread as a bad rework, but the rework from Good Morning Miss Bliss to Saved by the Bell changed the show entirely (from a Hayley Mills centric show to a student-centric show) and it's the one best remembered.

And I thought the Hogan Family with Sandy Duncan was perfectly fine after Valerie Harper left/was fired.
And the bolded had it's best run of episodes because of it. Sucks about the drama of it though.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure Dr. Who should count as the entire premise is that the characters/actors will change periodically. That is one of the main points of the show.
It *wasn't*, though. Regeneration was an idea created specifically *to* give a story reason to William Hartnell suddenly being Patrick Troughton.

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
It *wasn't*, though. Regeneration was an idea created specifically *to* give a story reason to William Hartnell suddenly being Patrick Troughton.
True but I'd argue that has changed and the point of the show now is cast 'regeneration' every so often. We 'know' the cast and main actor won't be the same 3 years from now.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Cheers with Coach to Woody was a masterclass. Same exact role (aside from backstory, basically), completely different actors.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Law and Order the thread

Every cop pairing is incredible for the first like what 10-12 years?

Every prosecution pairing works.

Granted it had some nice longevity from Hill, Waterston, Orbach, Noth, in there too but lots of revolving pieces.

Arguably the goat group

Hill
Waterston/Hennessey
Orbach/Noth

Was season 4

We had 2 cop partners, 1 ADA and 1 Executive ADA change before that.

Last edited:

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be a controversial take. But I'll say it.
Community.
Season 6 is really solid and Frankie and Elroy are great additions.
as the anti-thesis to the other thread, yeah, this is my pick. buzz was a pretty good addition for the one season he's in as well. i never really "missed" pierce much.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
Santos episodes of The West Wing were better than the main cast episodes in the last season.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
JMS was really good at taking what he had planned for season 1, and totally throwing out the original plans and making something that was honestly much better.

I do sincerely lament that contract disputes meant that Claudia Christian didn't return for season 5 though. It would have gone a long way towards making the first half of season 5 much easier to watch. As it stands a lot of people give up on season 5 and don't watch the last half which was in my honest opinion as solid as season 3 and 4.

His original sorta-secret 10 year plan was a little *too* ambitious, ha.

He also planned backdoors for all the characters if they had to leave. He talks later about having trouble having too Sinclair having too much planned for him too, and the story working better with 2 characters, with the pieces split up a bit more between them.

I always find it amazing the show survived given swapping out the lead character, given everything else it had going against it.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
MST3K is the perfect example. Law and Order OG is the next best.

They work despite cast changes because they have perfect formulas (MST3K = make humor out of bad movies, L&O = 50% cop show, 50% lawyer show).

They are also my two favorite TV shows of all time...so it makes sense.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
The lead change for Spartacus was handled about as well as it possibly could have been, in my opinion. Doing the gods in the arena prequel series to give production more time to ramp up for season 2 with Liam McIntyre turned out to be a great decision. We all loved the portrayal of the original actor in season 1 but I think they made the best of it and still produced a great show.

Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
Dynasty (CW version) changed the Crystal character from season 1 to 2 (a new character with the same name after the previous one died) and then again from season 2 to 3 (a recast of the 2nd Crystal). The 1->2 change was awfully handled, but the 2->3 was a slight improvement.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Another is Babylon 5, which had to cast a new lead character after it's first season due to some pretty sad health problems with Michael O'Hare.
Andrea Thompson wanting to leave the show as well. It meant dropping some plot points from the first 2 seasons, but I think it worked out better overall.

Claudia was the only departure that damaged the series IMO.

Every cop pairing is incredible for the first like what 10-12 years?

Every prosecution pairing works.

Granted it had some nice longevity from Hill, Waterston, Orbach, Noth, in there too but lots of revolving pieces.
Yes, the ensemble was almost uniformly good. The main anchors were Waterston, Orbach, and Merkerson.

Orbach leaving (and his subsequent passing) was a big blow, but I still felt the show was entertaining (though the budget cuts in later seasons really started to chip away at too much).

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The lead change for Spartacus was handled about as well as it possibly could have been, in my opinion. Doing the gods in the arena prequel series to give production more time to ramp up for season 2 with Liam McIntyre turned out to be a great decision. We all loved the portrayal of the original actor in season 1 but I think they made the best of it and still produced a great show.
I think it helped that Andy supported being recast, he was involved as the decision was taken while he suddenly had to go in for a second round of treatment. They had already made Gods of the Arena to cover his first bout and he knew what was coming.

Dynasty (CW version) changed the Crystal character from season 1 to 2 (a new character with the same name after the previous one died) and then again from season 2 to 3 (a recast of the 2nd Crystal). The 1->2 change was awfully handled, but the 2->3 was a slight improvement.
The disappointment is that they are starting season 4 without recasting Crystal. It would have been an amazing running joke.
(That show has been riddled with 'cast drama' though, with also having to recast Alexis and losing Steven. At least we still have Fallon and Sammy, the MVPs)

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His original sorta-secret 10 year plan was a little *too* ambitious, ha.

He also planned backdoors for all the characters if they had to leave. He talks later about having trouble having too Sinclair having too much planned for him too, and the story working better with 2 characters, with the pieces split up a bit more between them.

I always find it amazing the show survived given swapping out the lead character, given everything else it had going against it.
Bruce Boxleitner was the perfect pickup to replace Michael O'Hare, considering his nerd popularity (being "the guy from Tron") and his availability and low price (being "the guy from Scarecrow and Mrs. King"), and his acting talent and charisma and ability to carry an entire TV show.

Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
The disappointment is that they are starting season 4 without recasting Crystal. It would have been an amazing running joke.
(That show has been riddled with 'cast drama' though, with also having to recast Alexis and losing Steven. At least we still have Fallon and Sammy, the MVPs)

The drama behind the camera seems more interesting than the show itself, lol.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
This may be controversial but I think Community pulled it off pretty well. Especially with the final season, where the two newcomers are just fantastic.

It's hard due to the poor quality of season four to really judge it. Losing Donald is hard but late season 5 versus early season 5 isn't super different to me quality-wise.