• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
Weeds - I think it was season 3, when the neighborhood burns down... you can tell they didn't know if they would be back, so they wrote an ending. Then they came back for more seasons and it really just didn't work.
This is what I came here to say. Season 3 ends in such a complete and satisfactory way I never bothered to keep watching the remaining 5(?) seasons.

OP
OP
TheWooniestWoona
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I can add Spongebob to this. It's a bit different, what with it not being a story based show, but I still feel like season 3 and the first movie were a perfect ending.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
If The Leftovers had ended with the Season 2 finale I would have been a happy camper, it was a damn good resolution.

Kevin singing in the S2 finale 😭 😭 😭

But all my words come back to me
In shades of mediocrity
Like emptiness and harmony
I need someone to comfort me
Homeward bound, I wish I was...

Though it's not a show, I just saw Toy Story 4 over the weekend and even though I was impressed and quite liked it, there was no reason for it to be made after the perfect ending of 3.
edit: beaten to mentioning Toy Story dangit

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lost could have ended somewhere earlier and been fine.

Futurama's first ending was fantastic, and if I remember right, the second was good too. The actual last ending was fine, but not as good.

Scrubs, obviously. I've never seen season 9 and never will.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Scrubs is probably the most egregious example because it dropped off a bit in season 5, seasons 6 and 7 were actually bad, then it bounced back completely in season 8 and had a great finale and then they couldn't leave it.

Imagine not wanting the Cell saga.
I feel the same way. Frieza was the climax of the story. If Gohan would have taken over after Cell, maybe I'd feel differently.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Is this an Arrested Development thread?

It feels like an Arrested Development thread.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Parks and Rec Season 6. Season 7 was a victory lap (and a great one at that),

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
10648.jpg

Well, the TF G1 cartoon had a satisfying conclusion in The Movie.

And then again with The Return of Optimus Prime.

And then again with Rebirth.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Didn't Curb Your Enthusiasm end once or twice, then have another season?

Does the first season of Spartacus count? That would be a satisfying ending by itself, and then they made an awesome prequel series due to the unfortunate circumstance of Andy Whitfield's cancer, then two more great seasons despite losing the lead actor.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Boardwalk Empire

I stopped at the end of season 3 because I heard it just went downhill from there.

OP
OP
TheWooniestWoona
Oct 27, 2017
10648.jpg

Well, the TF G1 cartoon had a satisfying conclusion in The Movie.

And then again with The Return of Optimus Prime.

And then again with Rebirth.

G1 is a hilarious mess, so I don't mind too much.

Beast Wars had a good ending though, and then they made Beast Machines.

Cause you know, having a sequel show and specifically getting writers who know nothing about the previous show is such a great idea.

OP
OP
TheWooniestWoona
Oct 27, 2017
I think season 1 of Westworld works really well as a stand alone story. I would have been perfectly happy if they left it at that.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
One Tree Hill when Lucas and Peyton left.

One Tree hill was the weirdest time jump I ever experienced. It turned itself into a completely new show. Brooke is a huge fashion designer. Haley is a English teacher/pop star, Nathan is paralyzed and depressed about not getting to the NBA, Mouth is a famous sports reporter, Lucas is a famous author. Dan has his own talk show.

These are nothing like the characters I grew up with for the past 4 seasons. Why is suddenly everyone famous and rich? I couldn't relate to anyone at that point.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Breaking Bad didn't need that second half of the season at all, I thought it was a perfect ending there.

Dec 25, 2018
Baylon 5, have the last season on DVD still in the wrapper because the previous season finale few episodes was basically the end of the shows major story arcs, (albiet a bit rushed because they didn't know if they'd get another season or not).

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scrubs and Supernatural come to mind. Both had incredibly good finales and then just kept milking. Especially supernatural.

I also want to put my hot take in and say that DBZ should have ended at Frieza. I'm all for continuing the story in a way like Super, GT, etc did but at least rename it.

DBZ was the perfect cap on that arc and Goku should have taken a backseat to Gohan. Seemed like they were trying to set up Gohan with the Cell/Buu saga but it always came back to Goku.

Going Super Saiyan the first time was incredible. No other stupid transformation hit that mark ever again.

Moara

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, had a glorious series finale, but we're blessed to get two more seasons out of nowhere lol
Not necessarily a good thing. A lot of times that can undercut the finality of it. It's been fine for now though, season 6 feels more like a victory lap so far (still like 4 episodes behind). Hopefully season 7 can top the ending of 5 as a proper series finale.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not necessarily a good thing. A lot of times that can undercut the finality of it. It's been fine for now though, season 6 feels more like a victory lap so far (still like 4 episodes behind). Hopefully season 7 can top the ending of 5 as a proper series finale.

It's a good thing as far as this show is concerned. Been loving this season, 2nd half in particular is dope.

VikingJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
I think season 1 of Westworld works really well as a stand alone story. I would have been perfectly happy if they left it at that.
The first season of Westworld left me with a bizarre feeling I had never left for a show- while I greatly enjoyed the first season, I had zero desire to watch a second season of it as I felt the story ran its course.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Echoing those that said Scrubs. The finale of season 8 is so unbelievably on point - it even has scenes outlining the futures of the characters! - that it's beyond baffling that they thought it was a good idea to keep the show going.