• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I need some shows about wholesome couples (bonus points if one or both of em are minorities). I want them to go through their ups and downs but without some emotional/physical cheating, or one of the two to catch eyes for another person. Why is this kind of content so hard to find? Also, thank you in advance for the help!

Oct 27, 2017
I think that Life in Pieces generally avoids those tropes, and is almost entirely wholesome (in that sense). Also a great show (comedy).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Superman & Lois has so far avoided any pretense of Clark or Lois having romantic feelings for anyone other than each other, which is such a nice change of pace from dumb CW relationship drama.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I wanted to say Marshall and Lily from How I Met Your Mother, but there's one shitty season where there's a ton of drama. Peggy Hill is a goddamn nightmare of a human being, but her and Hank's relationship is pretty wholesome on King of the Hill. Man... I watch way too much TV and I'm struggling. I haven't seen the entire runs of Blackish and Modern Family, but I don't think they go for any relationship bullshit on those shows either.

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
It's been a bit since I watched it, but I feel like Parks and Rec was pretty good about that with both of the couples (April and Andy, and Leslie and Ben).

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
I don't think any of the major couples in Bones ever had infidelity arise, though some of the relationships do develop very slowly. It's definitely one of my comfort shows, though.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Happy Endings kinda fits the bill. The general setup is like Friends, i.e. six friends in their twenties hanging out, but two of the friends are a married couple, Brad and Jane. And if I remember correctly, the show never so much as fakes as if either will cheat. Also, the show is funny as hell.

la18mox.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Happy Endings kinda fits the bill. The general setup is like Friends, i.e. six friends in their twenties hanging out, but two of the friends are a married couple, Brad and Jane. And if I remember correctly, the show never so much as fakes as if either will cheat. Also, the show is funny as hell.

la18mox.jpg

I second this recommendation; Happy Endings is a fantastic show.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
With Happy Endings you almost get a false start with going against what the thread OP is looking for but the fact it's more played as a joke and not drama works.

Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
Modern Family is a nice option, Claire/Phil, Gloria/Jay and Mitchell/Cam all stick together without any sort of implication that they will be with someone else

there's some gags regarding Phil finding Gloria attractive but it's mostly harmless tbh

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
Santa Clarita Diet demonstrates the love of a married couple after the wife gets infected and needs to eat human flesh.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017

la18mox.jpg
I was gonna say this with Brad and Jane. I vaguely remember there might've been a plot with one of them having a work wife, and maybe other stuff where another couple tries to get them to swing? There are probably other jokes about stepping out but it's never serious, they're ridiculously obsessed with each other lol.

drowsy

Oct 27, 2017
Friday Night Lights has my all-time favorite TV couple as played by Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton. They aren't perfect people in a perfect relationship, but they are adults who deal with issues as they come and it never turns into some big multi-episode melodrama. I find that people avoid that show because "it's about football", but it's much more about human relations and family dynamics and all that good stuff. It centers around a high school football team so it obviously focuses on teenagers quite a bit, but even that stuff is done so well that I think it's worth watching even if you're really only looking for more mature relationships.

It is however incredibly white and straight, as you'd expect from a small town in Texas. There's some black people (including Michael B. Jordan in a major role in later seasons; he's as good as you'd expect), but that's about it.

Apr 2, 2021
Santa Clarita Diet demonstrates the love of a married couple after the wife gets infected and needs to eat human flesh.
very underrated show.

Hey if you want to really push what you're asking for to the edge... Keith and David in Six Feet Under. They actually have 3-somes with other dudes and sometimes even have sex with other men on their own, but they don't have any infidelity "Drama". You see their relationship from the begining so while they do have to work and go to therapy to figure things out they end up in a very good very wholesome place.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
most family sitcoms probably fall in this camp no? Im trying to think of ones where the main characters/couples cheat on one another.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
Parenthood does address infidelity in a couple arcs over the show, but overall the show goes out of its way to show partnerships of all stages through a ton of ups and downs working through trust and communication to support each other. It's a remarkably wholesome show, sometimes engineered to make you cry, that is as much about relationships as being parents. Highly rec'd.

Also for something lighter, echoing the Modern Family rec from above. You can feel its run living through how we talk about love and diversity morphing through time, with some regrettable jokes (mostly from Jay about Gloria's ethnicity and Mitch's identity, and Mitch/Cam about Lilly's ethnicity, but like The Office I think that's part of the point?) but never comes close to touching infidelity aside from Phil's 100% innocent crush on Gloria.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Modern Family's good, yeah.

Phil and Claire are an awesome couple, especially for Halloween.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
White Collar

Peter and Elizabeth have a very strong marriage. They have their ups and downs but there's never any hint of infidelty.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
White Collar

Peter and Elizabeth have a very strong marriage. They have their ups and downs but there's never any hint of infidelty.
This is a great one. White Collar is another great comfort food of a show.

I'll also throw in Leverage, though the relationships in that show are pretty far on the backburner. But who doesn't love seeing rich/evil assholes getting screwed over every episode?

Oct 27, 2017

la18mox.jpg
I need to make a thread about this show and how it's a modern day Friends that's actually good

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't all of the nova familia shows like Blackish and Fresh off the Boat have core married couples that didn't have a problem with infidelity?

I mean... The Cosby Show had a very loving couple... But... Yeah...

Is there any universe where you could say that Al Bundy was wholesome?

mentalmash

Jun 25, 2019
Might not be exactly what your after but my favourite wholesome couple is Jim and Pam from the Office (US).

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I think that Life in Pieces generally avoids those tropes, and is almost entirely wholesome (in that sense). Also a great show (comedy).
Such a fantastic show. Usually not much for comedies but I really enjoyed that one.

Zoe Lister-Jones is one of the funniest people in comedy right now. She's a gem.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Schitt's Creek has a tiny bit with Alexis, and one or two episodes with a Johnny/Moira misunderstanding, but it's done with a light touch.

David and Patrick are fantastic and so wholesome, as are Johnny and Moira beyond what I mentioned. It's wonderful how Johnny rarely bats an eye at Moira's crazy. He adores her just as she is, and you can see it.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
there is a reason i love Schitt's Creek, Happy Endings and Bob's Burgers - very wholesome relationships

bgbball31

Oct 25, 2017
I know someone already mentioned Friday Night Lights, but I'll throw my recommendation behind that as well. Tammy and Eric Taylor are incredible, not just as a couple, but in how they deal with characters outside of their relationship as well.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
635734820409954317-2032796218_static1.squarespace.jpg

Love a relationship built on support and communication. Connie Britton and Kyle Chandler fought to always keep Tami & Coach Taylor supportive.

From the very beginning, Britton and Kyle Chandler discussed how they wanted to play this small-town marriage, and one of their biggest decisions was about being faithful. "We were like, 'We're never letting the writers have us have an affair. If they try to do it, we're not going to do it.' And we told them so," Britton says, recognizing it can be difficult for writers to craft a marriage without any major conflict.

What we thought would be really interesting and what we thought this would be the perfect format for on the show was to actually show what most couples go through which is just trying to be partners to each other and get through the day," Britton continues. "They need each other and they also really love each other."

At the end of the day, Britton says it was about creating a partnership. "This is a show about very simple people trying to get through their life in a way that feels valuable and meaningful. So we decided these two people were going to be partners to each other in that.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
the first thing I can think of is This is Us. Although I never went past the first two seasons

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
The show is corny AF but my wife loves The Good Witch and to my knowledge there isn't a hint of infidelity among anyone. It's turned in to a weird guilty pleasure I'll watch with her sometimes lol