• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Fifty days out from the presidential election, President Trump's campaign is showing conspicuous signs that its onetime financial advantage over Joe Biden is now a major deficit.

Facing what appears to be a significant cash shortage, the Trump campaign has, for now, completely gone off the TV airwaves in Michigan and Pennsylvania, two of the core swing states that the president narrowly wrested from Democrats four years ago — and states where Trump has consistently trailed Biden in the polls throughout 2020.

Trump is also at an airtime disadvantage in other key states, Bloomberg reports:

Between Aug. 10 and Sept. 7, Biden spent $97.7 million on broadcast and cable ads, while Trump spent $21.6 million, according to ad-tracking firm Advertising Analytics.

In some crucial battleground states Biden outspent Trump. In Wisconsin, Biden spent $9.2 million to Trump's $1.5 million; in Florida, Biden spent $23.2 million to Trump's $6.4 million; in Arizona, Biden spent $10 million compared to $1.4 million by Trump, and in North Carolina, Biden spent $11.5 million to Trump's $3.7 million.
nymag.com

Trump Pulls TV Ads Off the Air Entirely in Key States

The president’s campaign has ceded a TV advantage to Biden just as the election hits the home stretch.

Oct 25, 2017
"Donate to the Trump Campaign so we can really MAGA!"
Translation: I'm stealing your money and paying off my debts and legal fees!

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
I noticed a lack of Trump ads here (PA) and the ones Biden has out are fantastic. Plus I've seen lots of digital billboard ads too which is great.

Ultryx

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Interesting because ever since I donated to Joe, I've been getting emails daily talking about the extreme spending coming from Trump's team. They wouldn't describe it as strapped for cash. I hope they have nothing left though.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its amazing how much money they were able to blow through so quickly. I live in NJ and there were ads for him constantly. In NJ of all places. They would have been better off burning it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Probably a good place to ask this: is there an article or graph that shows the polls as a whole across the board between Biden and Trump compared to what they were at this same time in 2016 with Clinton and Trump?

Someone posted a graph a few weeks back and I can't find it.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever happened here is either criminal incompetence or just plain criminal

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
lmao

I love, love, love how Trump has mismanaged his massive cash advantage for this election season. LOVE. IT. The businessman president everyone!! I almost feel like this is harder for his drooling fans to explain away than all the other bullshit but I don't dare verify for myself.

Everyone knows the last 60 days is when you spend you god damn narcissistic baby

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like, imagine if COVID never happened and Trump was only +5 behind Biden in the polls like he was in January. I bet he would somehow STILL be short of funds right now. The man isn't fit to run a fucking lemonade stand...

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
There were tons of Trump (and Biden) ads in Florida.

I didn't see any Trump ones in Michigan til I got back this weekend, when I saw a few.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Obviously the administration best suited to run the US is the one that is so disorganized (and/or criminal) that they ran out of money two months before the election.

May 26, 2018
lmao

I love, love, love how Trump has mismanaged his massive cash advantage for this election season. LOVE. IT. The businessman president everyone!! I almost feel like this is harder for his drooling fans to explain away than all the other bullshit but I don't dare verify for myself.

here, I'll make one up:

"he's pulling ads because he doesn't need them, he already knows he's won"

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't need tv ads when youtube ads exists, they are cheaper and have much wider range.

I bet they are targeting youtube and Facebook ads in a big way.

Oct 28, 2017
"The campaign is once again spending heavily on digital advertising; it has has plowed $170 million into Facebook and Google since 2019. In comparison, the Biden campaign spent $90 million in digital advertising during that time. The Trump campaign has also run prominent ads on YouTube and other sites."

Maybe a deficit (I mean, let's be honest, he's pocketing a lot of his donations), but this also speaks to the reality. I don't know anyone that isn't getting bombarded with Trump shit online.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I like the sound of this.

Cause recently I saw a couple of Trump ads and youtube and it pissed me off.

Edit - Fuck. So sounds like they're changing their strategy to be more effective. Thanks for getting my hopes up for 5 seconds.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Tons of Biden stuff in Pittsburgh, too. It's a relief, honestly, I swear I'm gonna get an aneurysm anytime I see a Trump ad.

I thought PA was a battleground state. I haven't seen recent polls though. Maybe Trump is giving up on PA?

I know he beat Hillary in PA in 2016. But I also know Biden is generally liked in PA, especially in Eastern PA.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
"The campaign is once again spending heavily on digital advertising; it has has plowed $170 million into Facebook and Google since 2019. In comparison, the Biden campaign spent $90 million in digital advertising during that time. The Trump campaign has also run prominent ads on YouTube and other sites."

Maybe a deficit (I mean, let's be honest, he's pocketing a lot of his donations), but this also speaks to the reality. I don't know anyone that isn't getting bombarded with Trump shit online.
ive been getting more Biden ads on youtube than anything else these days

Trump seems to spends a shitload for key days, like how he was on the front page of Youtube with an auto-play ad during the DMC

he did similar things during the democratic primary debates

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.Vote.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Clinton outspend Trump in 2016 in terms of ads? Of course, there are a couple of different factors, being Biden's team focusing on the right states, plus people being bored of Trump's antics.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I thought PA was a battleground state. I haven't seen recent polls though. Maybe Trump is giving up on PA?

I know he beat Hillary in PA in 2016. But I also know Biden is generally liked in PA, especially in Eastern PA.

Well, this is from 538 just this morning:

Right now, Pennsylvania looks like the single most important state of the 2020 election. According to FiveThirtyEight's presidential forecast, Pennsylvania is by far the likeliest state to provide either President Trump or Joe Biden with the decisive vote in the Electoral College: It has a 31 percent chance of being the tipping-point state.1 (That's what happens when you take one of the most evenly divided states in the union and give it 20 electoral votes.) In fact, Pennsylvania is so important that our model gives Trump an 84 percent chance of winning the presidency if he carries the state — and it gives Biden a 96 percent chance of winning if Pennsylvania goes blue

He is pulling tv ads there because he is broke as fuck. No other possible explanation. It's not a safe state for anyone and it's crazy important.

fivethirtyeight.com

Why Pennsylvania Could Decide The 2020 Election

This is the fourth in a series of articles examining the politics and demographics of 2020’s expected swing states. Right now, Pennsylvania looks like the singl…

Christian

Oct 25, 2017

Not many commercials on tv for Trump, but there are a TON of signs in the Upper St. Clair/Peters Township/McMurray areas south of Pittsburgh. They're just north of Washington, PA, which is for all intents and purposes West Virginia, so they usually always vote hard red anyway, but it's alarming to see so many driving through.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
He probably realizes that the ads are pointless and his base is going to come out in droves no matter what. I can't imagine him trying to win votes over undecided moderate people.

Oh, and he's definitely redirecting the ad funds into his personal coffers.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's so weird, I usually catch the first 10 minutes of the 6:30 NBC Nightly News, or the ABC or CBS equivalent. Trump always has a commercial in the marquee two minutes before the 6:30 news starts (that's that prime spot that all the Congressional and Presidential campaigns buy). But, I'm here in Georgia. Why would he be buying ads for Georgia and not Pennsylvania? Pennsylvania has to be the priority. Trump only loses Georgia on a relatively bad night.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Honestly the youtube ads Ive been seeing for Trump have been laughably cartoonish so I mean maybe no ads is better lol. Can't wait to vote.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg is about to drop $100m in Biden ads in swing states. Gonna be a major advertising advantage unless Trump brings in mega money this month. Given the number if mail in and early ballots in swing states a lot of ads that run just up to the election could literally fall on deaf ears.