• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I'm worried as fuck about The Sandman. Seems like it will be cancelled after two seasons and we won't see a full adaptation.

As others have said the fact that it is a WB property means that if (worst case scenario) this adaptation completely shits the bed Warners will simply wait a few years and then simply 'try again' on HBO Max....or whatever it is renamed in the next couple of years.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
They also have zero interest in adding things that are niche or only of interest to a small percentage of the audience.

Disney and Amazon both have some aspects of commentaries or extra features but Netflix has none. There was an interview with a director recently who offered to record a commentary for free for his movie, and he was in a meeting with Netflix staff and they were visibly disinterested in stuff like that. It was disappointing to hear.
Yeah it was Mike Flanagan. Who incidentally was told by Netflix that Midnight Mass didn't do good numbers.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand why they want shows that promote growth but why they care if people binge the show or watch it at a slower pace?

Oct 25, 2017
Are people binging Squid Game?
It's a great show, but idk if you can watch that multiple times.

Trust the algorithm.
If the algorithm is wrong - recalibrate.
Profit drives everything.

Squid games exploded and was all over the zeitgeist. I had no clue a baby sitters club show existed

Pretty significant difference there. Squid game will have long tail drive just for the first season alone.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Yea the folks behind MST3K said the exact same thing how Netflix cares purely on their binge metrics and how many binge and complete a show and the speed in which it happens. When they did their 2nd season they tried to design it around making it more binge friendly and that they were pushing viewers to sit and binge watch marathon it. They kept harping on this fact.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of get it. I don't watch a streamable show until I can watch it all at once or at the very least 1-3 episodes per day. There's a show in D+ that comes out weekly? I'll just wait until it's all out to resub and watch.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I still haven't finished The Witcher S2, not because it's "not engaging enough" or whatever, but because I'm watching like 8 other shows on Netflix alone, plus a few others on other services. I'm not usually the type to watch through an 8-episode season in less than a week.

Edit: I actually finished their adaptation of Cowboy Bebop in about a week or so, but ironically, it was canceled because not many other people binged it, I guess.

Last edited:

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
It does make me wonder what Netflix's long term plans are. They spend crazy, unsustainable amounts of money on content, chasing growth. Is the idea to invest in all that now to eventually have such a massive back catalogue that they can eventually scale back a bit and hope that existing subscribers will stick around out of inertia, or be satisfied with less content? Seems risky. There is already so much stuff on there that discoverability sucks.

I do wonder about their overall strategy. I watched that Ryan Reynolds movie The Adam Project yesterday and it was… fine. It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect out of a Ryan Reynolds sci-fi comedy, for good or ill.

It seemed relatively expensive so out of curiosity I checked its budget and it's $116 million. That's as much as Venom, which made $850 million at the box office.

Is a movie like that with no theatrical release really moving the needle much as far as gaining new subscribers or retaining existing ones? I know Netflix doesn't have to spend basically anything on marketing but that still seems pretty high budget to me for a movie that will ultimately just come and go.

Oct 8, 2019
This was pretty obvious when they cancelled Tuca and Bertie despite being critically acclaimed, meanwhile Adult Swim picked it up and renewed it for a third season.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It does make me wonder what Netflix's long term plans are. They spend crazy, unsustainable amounts of money on content, chasing growth. Is the idea to invest in all that now to eventually have such a massive back catalogue that they can eventually scale back a bit and hope that existing subscribers will stick around out of inertia, or be satisfied with less content? Seems risky. There is already so much stuff on there that discoverability sucks.

Yeah I'm not sure what the end game is, especially if the "looking for subscribers in other countries" thing is true. Even if they've maxed out in North America, that number is just going to go down and fast if they don't have a lot of shows coming. Especially since, if they rely on the binge, people aren't going to have a ton of time dedicated to each show before they run out. It's kind of the opposite of Disney and Paramount, where they're digging hard into their franchise niches and seemingly not being willing to cancel anything (yet).

We have faced this exact problem in my own household. There are shows for kids. And then there are shows for adults. There are barely any shows made today that the entire family can watch together. There's no "transition" period shows.

The only thing I can think of is maybe "Bob's Burgers," but that may need some episode skipping depending on how young the kids are. I guess the Marvel/Star Wars animated shows under Disney straddle the line too, but they're heavy genre shows so it's not quite the same thing.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not sure what the end game is, especially if the "looking for subscribers in other countries" thing is true. Even if they've maxed out in North America, that number is just going to go down and fast if they don't have a lot of shows coming. Especially since, if they rely on the binge, people aren't going to have a ton of time dedicated to each show before they run out. It's kind of the opposite of Disney and Paramount, where they're digging hard into their franchise niches and seemingly not being willing to cancel anything (yet).

The only thing I can think of is maybe "Bob's Burgers," but that may need some episode skipping depending on how young the kids are. I guess the Marvel/Star Wars animated shows under Disney straddle the line too, but they're heavy genre shows so it's not quite the same thing.
Yeah she's into all the Marvel shows so we do watch those. And we've gotten her into The Amazing Race.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if the future of Netflix shows are one and done seasons, like Midnight Mass.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
It sucks for the creators but it would be great if this behavior from Netflix would result in shorter shows that tell stories with a conclusive ending at the end of a season. I'm so tired of shows ending their seasons on cliffhangers because creators always assume they have all the time and money in the world to tell their stories when that isn't the case. I don't have the time for that and I certainly don't care about cliffhangers when I can watch the whole season in a weekend but have to wait 12-18 months for the continuation, if it ever happens. I'm so tired of this. Plan ahead, plant a couple of seeds here and there but make sure you're telling a story from start to finish in a single season first.

Last edited:

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I recently subbed for the first time since they split dvd and streaming (2009?) but I already want to cancel again. Mostly only in for kids/family stuff. 🤷‍♂️

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
So is this mostly for live action shows? Seems their animated shows get more than 2 seasons.

A lot of the time it's just Netflix splitting up an order to make it look bigger, so they're not immune either. I think the recent second season reveal of Cuphead was just the second half of the episodes they ordered originally. It's cheaper to buy in bulk than to order an actual second season.

Mar 11, 2020
I wonder if Netflix "two seasons" thing will eventually come back to bite them?

Like obviously its still super niche right now, but I do struggle to get invested in their shows when there's a 50/50 chance they'll just be cancelled out of the blue. I just wonder how long until the mainstream picks up on that trend and stops bothering with anything new they come up with. Probably never?
Yep we already started to stop watching new netflix stuff until its further in or has an ending. They are just instilling this value into people by doing this and eventually everyone will stop using them

Last edited:

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I thought about this before. Netfilx focuses on short term gains and short term everything like new shows are roughly always 8 episodes(it's pretty much how society and companies, work in general now but that's another matter). It makes it easy for me to drop, as there's no Simpsons or Seinfield or some long running show that has lots of episodes.

Like not every show has to be the best immediately I think that's what Netflix doesn't understand. Sometimes you just want to watch stuff that's ok that's average that's good but not great I don't know. And there's no chance of any show growing into becoming really good later on because they aren't allowed to grow slowly organically. With there strategy I can binge Netflix for a couple of months and then cancel it for six months and not really miss anything. Even standard TV has long ago figured this out you don't need the best shows, you just need to create viewing habits where people are compelled to watch things that are on every day or every few days. Or maybe it is different now and people only watch the best.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I can understand why they want shows that promote growth but why they care if people binge the show or watch it at a slower pace?

Yeah I am also confused by this. For one, isn't people not binging shows a... good thing, for a subscription service? You want people drawing out their viewership of stuff, don't you? Not gobbling it up in a few days and then moving on?

For two, not everything is going to be a megahit. If you aim to be a one stop shop for streaming entertainment, then you need to invest in a broader array of content that might not all be a Squid Game.

I assume Netflix aren't braindead, so there must be some kind of economic calculus going on here that I'm not seeing - but I really don't know what it could be.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Maybe they want a really big and diverse back catalog? Only thing that makes sense to me

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix, despite having some amazing shows that I want to continue to watch (The Witcher, Derry Girls, Sex Education, Peaky Blinders, etc.) continues to do everything in its power to make me cancel my sub.

-They've cancelled many shows I've enjoyed; The OA, One Day at a Time, god knows what else.
-they raise prices continually.
-they're testing new methods to fuck over password sharing.

Meanwhile Prime just sort of exists and has some good stuff, Disney+ is great, and Apple TV+ is absolutely killing it in price:great show ratio. Netflix is too busy giving trucks full of money to Adam Sandler, etc.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this is pretty illustrative of Netflix never getting rid of the binge model. They don't know how else to do business.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
A lot of the time it's just Netflix splitting up an order to make it look bigger, so they're not immune either. I think the recent second season reveal of Cuphead was just the second half of the episodes they ordered originally. It's cheaper to buy in bulk than to order an actual second season.

Ah okay. They are tricksey I see

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I thought, ideally, you support a show for 8 seasons or whatever then subscribers WOULD THEN Have a shit load to binge.... 🤷‍♀️

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I thought, ideally, you support a show for 8 seasons or whatever then subscribers WOULD THEN Have a shit load to binge.... 🤷‍♀️
I've suspected in the past that Netflix would rather have 8 one season long shows than 1 eight season long shows. Because that's 8 icons to scroll through as opposed to 1 and gives the impression of added value.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix shows fell super disposable, like you talk about them for 2 weeks then nothing until the next season.

TCB

Oct 19, 2019
Netflix basically run entirely by algorithm at this point,

It's obvious that their decisions are largely data driven, like making projects solely to target a specific market. I'm guessing they crunched the numbers and found that once people subscribed for a show, they generally stuck around anyways even if it gets cancelled. Which makes sense. If you stuck around for 2 years (2 seasons) for one show you probably found other reasons to keep your subscription.

But then why bother continuing a show? Often if one becomes successful it actually makes less money over time because costs increase (budget + actors). Might as well make something else for another market to bring in more subscribers. Netflix doesn't make entertainment, it makes subscription bait, lol.

This is why people need to cancel their subscription when a show they like goes. It's the only thing Netflix cares about.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
I assume Netflix aren't braindead, so there must be some kind of economic calculus going on here that I'm not seeing - but I really don't know what it could be.
Netflix's strategy makes sense if we assume that :
  1. Netflix views user acquisition as more important than user retention
  2. Binge-viewing figures are a better proxy for user acquisition than just total viewer-hours.
My guess is that Binge-viewing upon a show/season premiere creates a spike in buzz which is key to user acquisition. When you watch a full new season of a show in a week you are probably gonna talk about it.

Netflix might have the full back catalogue of Star Trek TNG that generates loads of viewer-hours, but this sort of content doesn't advertise the service much because noones talking about it.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
It's truly insane, because they know exactly how valuable a long running show is. The Office and Friends were binged endlessly on Netflix, and they paid a shit ton of money to secure Seinfeld, but they have no interest whatsoever in cultivating the next Office or Seinfeld.

If Netflix had been running NBC in the 90's and aughts, they would have cancelled the Office and Seinfeld after Season 2.

Schwarzbier

Nov 14, 2017
New Jersey
I'm still bitter they cancelled Santa Clarita diet.

This...

Such an original and funny show! I don't trust Netflix at all anymore. After that I was very skeptical about watching anything, including a potential can't miss in The Witcher. I'm too old and have too little free time to get invested in something just to have it ripped out from under me. I know that's how this medium has always been but Netflix is so cancel happy it feels like playing roulette with every show. I'm surprised they even let Lost in Space finish...

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
It's truly insane, because they know exactly how valuable a long running show is. The Office and Friends were binged endlessly on Netflix, and they paid a shit ton of money to secure Seinfeld, but they have no interest whatsoever in cultivating the next Office or Seinfeld.

If Netflix had been running NBC in the 90's and aughts, they would have cancelled the Office and Seinfeld after Season 2.

They've decided that social media buzz is the most important thing. Seinfeld, Friends, and the Office create buzz. New huge hits like Squid Game create buzz. Babysitters Club doesn't.

They've based their business model on rapid (unsustainable) growth and the only way to hit their targets is through aggressively appealing to FOMO.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

To be fair, they probably create much more shows than companies did back in the day.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
We have faced this exact problem in my own household. There are shows for kids. And then there are shows for adults. There are barely any shows made today that the entire family can watch together. There's no "transition" period shows.
Central Park on Apple TV is very good. We are rewatching Ted Lasso, and although it has a couple of sexually suggestive scenes is pretty good for the family (my kids are 11 and 13).

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
This...

Such an original and funny show! I don't trust Netflix at all anymore. After that I was very skeptical about watching anything, including a potential can't miss in The Witcher. I'm too old and have too little free time to get invested in something just to have it ripped out from under me. I know that's how this medium has always been but Netflix is so cancel happy it feels like playing roulette with every show. I'm surprised they even let Lost in Space finish...

It's so good. Timothy Olyphant is so great in it.

I've also been wary to get into new shows since the abrupt cancellation of Santa Clarita. I don't mind shows only getting 2-3 seasons, but I do mind these shows getting cancelled without warning. If the shows got wrapped up properly I wouldn't mind it so much.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix shows fell super disposable, like you talk about them for 2 weeks then nothing until the next season.
Dropping everything at once absolutely kills conversation about it, fan theories, suspense, mystery etc. is all dead because of binging. Weekly on other services has been nice because then I have time to watch it and then can browse a thread about it for ten minutes for other people's thoughts.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
You would think this will eventually hurt Netflix.

You are less likely to try new shows if there is a high likelihood of it being cancelled and left unfinished.

What is a back catalogue of incomplete shows really worth? If a show is finished and didn't have a chance to close off threads in a reasonable way I doubt I would start it.

I prefer the binge model but I am not always in the mood to watch the particular show as soon as it drops.