• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017

Also Marques Brownlee is best tech reviewer, Abroad in Japan is best funny channel about Japan and Happy Console Gamer is best channel with older guy reminiscing about his younger days playing JRPGs.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
Love this dude's channel. It's interesting and the history of the older rations is great.

The thing I never really understood (as someone with absolutely no insight, mind you) is why so many army ration stuff is essentially what passes for candy and dessert-items.

I get that it's an easy way to combine high-calorie, low-weight/volume, but that type of food has a profound impact on mood and energy-levels-over-time (both which are important, I assume, if you're in an actual war-situation).

My hunch is that this way of thinking about army food (from a psyhological/sociological point of view) is fairly new. Are there any videos of his that talk about this in particular?

It's just so striking with everything I have ever seen of emergency-food-type solutions (tons of sugar, barely any fiber, "fast carbs", and just in general stuff that you burn off extremely quickly, and that puts you at risk of "sugar-crashing" after an hour or so). I'd think powdered egg would be more prominent, for example, than straight up candy-bars and vanilla shakes.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much EVERYTHING Hellthy Junk Food does

Ive been obsessed with their channel since I discovered.

Oct 27, 2017
The thing I never really understood (as someone with absolutely no insight, mind you) is why so many army ration stuff is essentially what passes for candy and dessert-items.

I get that it's an easy way to combine high-calorie, low-weight/volume, but that type of food has a profound impact on mood and energy-levels-over-time (both which are important, I assume, if you're in an actual war-situation).

My hunch is that this way of thinking about army food (from a psyhological/sociological point of view) is fairly new. Are there any videos of his that talk about this in particular?

It's just so striking with everything I have ever seen of emergency-food-type solutions (tons of sugar, barely any fiber, "fast carbs", and just in general stuff that you burn off extremely quickly, and that puts you at risk of "sugar-crashing" after an hour or so). I'd think powdered egg would be more prominent, for example, than straight up candy-bars and vanilla shakes.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a video that addresses that.

From watching every single video though on his channel, there definitely is a big difference from ration to ration, civilian vs military, 24hr vs single meal vs emergency etc.

I do think the idea of including candy bars and other comfort stuff is exactly for that. It's a psychological/sociological thing.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

It's not a new thing at all. There are rations from thee 50s and 60s that are pretty much just chocolate or charms candy, some bouillon cubes and cigarettes.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
It's not a new thing at all. There are rations from thee 50s and 60s that are pretty much just chocolate or charms candy, some bouillon cubes and cigarettes.

I didn't mean that the practice (sugary stuff as rations) is new, but that thinking about food as it specifically impacts mood is generally a "new" thing (in food-science/civilian culture; the talk about "slow and fast calories" as shorthand for satiety and blood-sugar maintenance didn't really hit the mainstream till about the late 90's or so), so it would make sense that it's going to be a while until "the psychological impact of diet" would trickle down to army ration-design.

Though I suppose the sugary stuff-rations is more for shorter missions, and not really meant as fuel for backbreaking labor ("a farmer's diet", with 6 eggs and a bunch of potatoes for a whole day's worth of work, for example). Maybe I'm thinking about it the wrong way.

I guess sugary stuff can also be very "mood-uplifting", and I'm being a little biased since I react so badly with sugary stuff these days.

Last edited:

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
This video of a rag time pianist sight reading video game music he hasn't heard before is one of my favorite things. There are others, I recommend the Super Mario Athletes rag as well.