• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ckoerner

Aug 7, 2019
I think this is surrealism at its finest. Good on Yacht Club Games for making the best out of the hellish landscape of late-stage capitalism.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Not too long ago their kids meal tie-in was Jetpack Joyride, which is, what, 10 years old at this point? More?

Something as recent and relevant as Shovel Knight is a real coup for them.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that Arby's is terrible per se, it's that I could make something better at home in, no hyberbole, less than a minute

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
If anyone happens to like Arby's I'd recommend grabbing these. It's the sort of quickly forgotten merchandising that winds up being really rare later on because no one saved it, moreso because Shovel Knight barely got any merch so when the nostalgia cycle hits for it 'did you know there were Arby's toys' will come up.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
What's really strange is like...5 or 6 months ago I was at an Arby's drive-thru and saw Shovel Knight signage laying on the ground. An employee looked like they were in the process of swapping out the old promotion signage and I thought, "Wow. They're actually doing a Shovel Knight kid's meal. Awesome!" But the sign never went up and I didn't see it again.

Weird.

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
Oh word? If Arby's still has gyros I may have to swing by. They aren't nearly as good as going to an actual greek place but surprisingly not bad and much cheaper

Discontent

May 25, 2018
I never knew Shovel Knight was so huge tbh. Deserves it though, excellent, excellent game and character.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that Arby's is terrible per se, it's that I could make something better at home in, no hyberbole, less than a minute

yes, by buying basic roast beef and putting it between two slices of bread

i dunno what the fuck they do to make their roast beef have such a strange texture

uncanny roast beef

now arbys will quote this and own me on twidder

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
vJJGoQr.gif

i like arbys

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You know you've hit it big when you're partnering with fast food chains.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Yacht Club has become big enough to even do publishing for other devs, case in point with the recent release of Cyber Shadow and prior to that The Azure Striker Gunvolt double pack.

I think in time they'll make another game.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Nah, the game has already had three additional campaigns plus some other content and there's spin-off titles on the way.

I'd much rather Yacht Club work on something completely fresh.

There will likely be a Shovel Knight 2 someday, but it doesn't need to be right now.

Keep in mind the add-on campaigns were stretch goal targets for the initial crowdfunding campaign. While they did go above and beyond. It's just they are ultimately still part of the original package as a whole and not 4 individual games.

Also it's not like it's release was recent either, the original campaign was 2014, nearly 7 years ago, and one of the spin-offs aren't even developed by Yacht Club, the other one is a co-developed is sorta positioned as a sequel kinda.

Even if we consider the last expansion back in 2019. It has been 2 years since Yacht Club has actively worked on a project, outside of some unannounced thing they may or may not be working on. As of this point in time, basically Shovel Knight Dig may not be called Shovel Knight 2, it might as well be based on it's gameplay and continuing the humor and story of the previous title(s).

Last edited:

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
They're cheat codes so someone should be posting them online pretty quickly. You don't need to actually go to Arby's.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Don't gotta bribe me to eat at Arbys i really enjoy their market sandwiches, brisket sandwich and the shakes.

Weird fucking promotion though.

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
Soooooooowt me get this straight... the kids toys have a code on them, which unlocks DLC that reskins the game to have arbys shit on it?

alright alright alright alright apright alright alright

This led me down a Google hole and TIL @nihilist_arbys was hacked in 2018 and was offered help from actual Arby's to recover it.
Let me take a crack at this one...

Im guessing @nihilist arbys is a popular parody account. Arbys decided to help them out bc it provided them with enough free advertising. Smthng like that?

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
As someone who liked shovel knight a lot... not a fan of this. The insertion of 'product' here cheapens the game for me a bit. Yes, I know I dont have to play it and it doesn't change what already exists, still doesn't mean I have to like this shameless (optional) advert shoved into an indie game. I hope they got a good payout for this at least.

for the record I also hated those 'real world' cars they put in Mario kart.
It's weird but YCG has always been super adamant since the days of the Kickstarter that they literally want to stick shovel Knight everywhere. The only unique thing is that Arby's asked them to reciprocate here.
If anyone happens to like Arby's I'd recommend grabbing these. It's the sort of quickly forgotten merchandising that winds up being really rare later on because no one saved it, moreso because Shovel Knight barely got any merch so when the nostalgia cycle hits for it 'did you know there were Arby's toys' will come up.
Really? It's always felt like there's been quite a lot of merch, especially for an indie title.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It's weird but YCG has always been super adamant since the days of the Kickstarter that they literally want to stick shovel Knight everywhere. The only unique thing is that Arby's asked them to reciprocate here.

Really? It's always felt like there's been quite a lot of merch, especially for an indie title.

There's amiibo and the First For Figures statue that I know of. I assume there's clothing, but I'm not aware of action figures or assorted toys otherwise. Like, Cuphead got plushies, mini figures, Pop Vinyls, collectors Vinyl, and more.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Interesting idea for a promotion.

Looking forward to "Horsey Sauce Knight".

EDIT:

"Doctor Knight", heh. I guess they're avoiding that other word like the Doctor.