• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Been hosting Jackbox games with friends from all across the country (and one game with all local, but remote, friends/significant others) using Zoom to screen share and video chat. Drinking some beers and having some laughs to lighten the mood.

Easy to get groups together because only one person needs to own it and you can access both the game and Zoom via a browser without an account.

Really great. I only have Pack 4, what are the other must have packs and games?

Oct 27, 2017
How do you play with friends on zoom? I've been playing Mario Kart with friends and using FaceTime but we both have copies of the game.

do you just point the camera at the game since you own it, like yours TV?

Aloysius

Nov 5, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
3 is my favorite but Fakin It probably wouldn't work since you all need to point at someone. Maybe you could all type their name in chat at the same time lol

2 and 5 are also pretty good. 2 has quiplash and fibbage which are great. Every single game in 5 is great unlike some of the other packs.

Edit: meant to say 2 and 6.

Last edited:

baltic

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i've bought 2 today so I can play with my parents and brother's family. Wish there were some language options though since not everybody speaks English. We'll go slow and translate for the kids.

Great execution indeed

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
4 is the best because of surviving the internet. It my friend's group most favourite game to play.

edit: ninja'd.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still hard to believe they haven't just released a collection and made the individual games or bundles of games DLC.

Absolutely love the games, but it's a pain to have to look up which pack the game we want to play is in.

OP
OP
lt519

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
3 is my favorite but Fakin It probably wouldn't work since you all need to point at someone. Maybe you could all type their name in chat at the same time lol

2 and 5 are also pretty good. 2 has quiplash and fibbage which are great. Every single game in 5 is great unlike some of the other packs.

4 has Fibbage, so 5 might be good to pick up. The internet one is fun in 4, so is Fibbage, but the bracket and monster dating one are so-so. Monster dating one can be fun depending on the crowd. I'd rather get a pack where all the games are fun. Thanks, I'll look into 5.

I played Drawful, which I think is in 3, but I don't want to buy a whole pack just for that.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
4 has Fibbage, so 5 might be good to pick up. The internet one is fun in 4, so is Fibbage, but the bracket and monster dating one are so-so. Monster dating one can be fun depending on the crowd. I'd rather get a pack where all the games are fun. Thanks, I'll look into 5.

I played Drawful, which I think is in 3, but I don't want to buy a whole pack just for that.
Drawful 2 is free on most platforms right now! Get it!

Quiplash, drawful and the robot rap battle are my friends favorite. I like YDKJ, but it's harder to play on video chat.

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
Yup. I suggested we play Drawful 2 last night to my friends when Netflix Party was acting up and we all loved it.

Probably gonna get one of the Party Packs soon.

Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017
Same here. Been playing a lot of fibbage. Also a negative shout out to keeping PC, PS4, and Xbox players separate on AAA games right now...wish I could be playing Red Dead Online or any number of games with the people I'm playing the jackbox games with.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
That's funny, I just got done a 2 hour session. Saw some friends from high school that I haven't seen in like 15 years or more. Really fun time.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Some friends and I played for about 3 hours on Tuesday. Always a great time, and fantastic game to play when everyone is stuck in their homes.

3 is probably my overall favorite too. I love Trivia Murder Party.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just finished a session with a group of friends. We usually get together on weekends to play, but I've been streaming it and they've been joining remotely. It's been fantastic.

NPVinny

Dec 13, 2017
I've been doing it with friends on Discord with voice chat and it has been fantastic. Doing it right now actually!

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Been hosting Jackbox games with friends from all across the country (and one game with all local, but remote, friends/significant others) using Zoom to screen share and video chat. Drinking some beers and having some laughs to lighten the mood.

Easy to get groups together because only one person needs to own it and you can access both the game and Zoom via a browser without an account.

Really great. I only have Pack 4, what are the other must have packs and games?

Pack 3 is generally considered the best.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I bought all of the Jackbox games on Switch so I could bring them to gatherings. Really glad Drawful 2 is free right now, since my full-time job is down to 5 hours a week and I can't afford to spend money on games right now. That gesture alone makes me glad I bought the other games, even if my chosen platform is less than ideal at the moment. Hopefully it leads to some more sales of the other games. They very much deserve it.

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely just had a 3 hr session jumping through most of the 6 games. Jackbox really coming through during quarantine times.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Ha literally just finished a three-hour session!
Same, played for 3 hours last night, though I panicked cause I invited friends to watch on twitch then jackbox service went down for about 10 min.

I have all of them, but switch between them a lot. We did Trivia Murder party for a bit, drawful 2, fibbage and a few others.

I haven't done it on zoom cause i heard there's a time limit of 40 min if you're not paying for it. We tried FB live first but it kinda sucked cause apparently there's a 15-30 second delay through that. Twitch was much better with probably a 3 second delay. We point my phone at the screen then play on other devices.

OP
OP
lt519

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
I just love how easy it is to get non-gamers involved. No console, no Steam, etc. My buddy played from his 5 year old Chromebook and I don't think he's had a console since PS2.

I haven't done it on zoom cause i heard there's a time limit of 40 min if you're not paying for it. We tried FB live first but it kinda sucked cause apparently there's a 15-30 second delay through that. Twitch was much better with probably a 3 second delay. We point my phone at the screen then play on other devices.

Yep, I paid the $15 for the month so the meeting doesn't cut out after 40 minutes. We played last weekend on the free version and restarted the meeting after every game which is easy enough if you make a channel, although inconvenient. My wife is using it to do happy hours with her friends too.

Figured $15 was a small price to pay for a bunch of people to get together several times this month, but I hear Discord works well too.

edit: I think Skype is a good free option as well but I'm not sure if you can share the game audio.

Last edited:

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
Literally played for 2 hours with friends on Wednesday, and was thinking the same thing OP! Perfect game with friends for when you can't actually gather to play games.

Aloysius

Nov 5, 2017
Minneapolis, MN

Just realized that I meant to say every game is good in 6!
5 is just alright.

OP
OP
lt519

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 on how this works? Thank you!

I have all the video game systems.

The game is run on a host device and that device displays the overall game. Think of it as the board in a board game. Everyone then uses a device with a browser (usually a phone) to access the game and enter their drawings/inputs/etc.You do not have to be local, you access via the Jackbox website. Think of the phones as your hand of cards in a board game that you don't want others to see.

There are a variety of games, but a common type is for all the users to answer a prompt. The answers then get displayed on the host device and the players vote on their favorite answers (kind of like Apples to Apples or Cards Against Humanity). Most votes wins. Usually funny prompts + funny answers = laughs. There are some more in-depth games though.

So typically everyone is just in the same room and the host device connected to a TV everyone sees and the players can enter their answers on their phones secretly.

What we're doing is having one person be the host, share the screen via a conferencing software, and everyone joins the conference via audio/video to hang out on a laptop/tablet but they still play the game from their phones.

It works well on PC because there are a lot of conferencing software options (Zoom, Skype, Discord, Hangouts) that you can share the screen of the host but as some have pointed out you can stream from a console to Twitch, etc.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
The game is run on a host device and that device displays the overall game. Think of it as the board in a board game. Everyone then uses a device with a browser (usually a phone) to access the game and enter their drawings/inputs/etc.You do not have to be local, you access via the Jackbox website. Think of the phones as your hand of cards in a board game that you don't want others to see.

There are a variety of games, but a common type is for all the users to answer a prompt. The answers then get displayed on the host device and the players vote on their favorite answers (kind of like Apples to Apples or Cards Against Humanity). Most votes wins. Usually funny prompts + funny answers = laughs. There are some more in-depth games though.

So typically everyone is just in the same room and the host device connected to a TV everyone sees and the players can enter their answers on their phones secretly.

What we're doing is having one person be the host, share the screen via a conferencing software, and everyone joins the conference via audio/video to hang out on a laptop/tablet but they still play the game from their phones.
Great explanation! It should be noted that not all games can be played virtually perfectly. Games like "Faking It" work best if you're in a shared space, and some of the trivia games are a little more difficult due to lag and delays.

RightChandMan

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans, LA

It works well on PC because there are a lot of conferencing software options (Zoom, Skype, Discord, Hangouts) that you can share the screen of the host but as some have pointed out you can stream from a console to Twitch, etc.

Thank you! I guess ill buy the games on PC since most of my friends dont own consoles and it seems like it would be easier to share if I have a PC.

OP
OP
lt519

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you! I guess ill buy the games on PC since most of my friends dont own consoles and it seems like it would be easier to share if I have a PC.

As some have pointed out you could test out Drawful 2 (a spin on Pictionary), which is free on Steam, before diving in and buying the packs. I will say our group likes the drawing ones the least, we're not very creative there, but it still gets some laughs. At a minimum you can work out the kinks of everyone learning how to conference/host with it.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
It truly is great!

Discord is free and works perfectly for this. Just set up a chat room and stream your game to everybody in that room.

Last edited: