• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well if Nintendo decides to make a zss game I would want Bayonetta style gameplay. Of course with that being said you know I am going to say to get platinum to make it.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
A spy mission on a space craft end the game with her getting her suit. New Game+ with suit unlocked end game with her activating her ship and flying off the craft.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Ugly because she looks like an actual woman instead of a sexualized anime waifu?
I don't get it either. That design fits the art style of Prime. It's not perfect but for a first attempt at a realistic looking Samus in 2002 it's pretty good. They could've improved it with the sequels but I guess Nintendo forced them to use the unfitting current design.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I hope there are ZSS sections in MP4 where she can utilize her whip and increased agility.

As for her design, yeah, it's unfortunate that Nintendo always 'happens' to show close-ups of her butt and boobs in official art. The sexualization of Samus has been a problem since the beginning of the series. Still, I think this is part of a wider discussion on video game protagonists' appearance in general - many of the leading men in the AAA blockbuster games are conventionally handsome, ripped white guys and I'm not sure if that's any better than ZSS's representation...

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
I preferred her look in Metroid Prime 1 without the helmet. Her current design is too anime for my looking.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like the Prime 1 look but I don't like "realistic" art styles in general.(usually)

I don't think ZSS needs her own game. But if they really wanted too maybe a something like Escape from Butcher Bay were Samus is thrown in a super federation prison post Fusion.

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
She needs a complete redesign is what she needs. Get rid of that garbage anime look.

iu

iu

This the the real Samus, strong frame, stern face, stoic courage

Not this anime waif

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be down for a more stealth focused game with ZSS but she can't be shown going up against the same threats as she does in her Power Armour.
Also get rid of the high heels and make it more of a wetsuit design instead of the so-form-fitting-you-can-see-her-belly-button design. It makes sense to have a form fitting suit inside the Power Armour, but dial it back a bit to the Super design please.

As for Samus herself: I love her current design. She looks confident and mature but still fits alongside the Nintendo characters. I think she needed to be more cartoony than her MP1 face (didn't fit the colourful armour at all) and jesus christ no to her MP2 design.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Not really a fan of zero samus and the anime-ish styling it brings. I get why she used to be in her underwear and the compression suit makes sense as a replacement but the current design of the character overall is awful. She's a bounty hunter in a suit for hours at a time... maybe days if she can poop in there. why is she wearing space heels, makeup and a pony tail half way down her back. She's more cosplay babe than badass.

The Metroid universe in general has lost some of its mystery and appeal over the years. The writing/fiction needs an overhaul too.

IncompleteYoungArgentineruddyduck-size_restricted.gif

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The way ZSS is ostensibly the only Smash character with her ass towards the cam at all times, and how they already gave her to Team Ninja, I'm thinking a game called ZSS Xtreme Beach Blastball

Eye opening breakdown here for anyone disagreeing with ya.

zero-suit-samus-gif-5.gif

Does Zero Suit Chief get his own game too?

Chief is a good example because to put it into context, imagine if the design we got of Chief out of armor looked like this:
sexy-soldier-posing-on-a-white-background-picture-id482344103

And from. Then on, that was the only image of chief we started getting. Imagine if the marketing of every halo game or halo related thing was just that guy image shown as chief and there was no MJLNR armor or orange visored helmet anywhere. Every single thing he did in every trailer and game became equivalent to a Magic Mike routine.

That is what the Zero suit essentially is.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, stop posting this garbage. It's a stupid argument and you know it. A 10 second game over screen after you completely finish the game is not at all the same thing as building an entire game around a sexualized design for no reason.

Of course there should be no zero suit game. "Zero Suit Samus" is just Samus, and Samus fights in power armor. Honestly they should never even show her with her armor off, Master Chief style.

I'm not arguing they should make a zero suit game, I'm just pointing out she has literally always been sexualised.

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
She's a fun character in smash.

Smash is a fanservice game and having a fan service character in it is fine.

Doesn't mean sexy skin tight suit samus needs her own game.
The thing is that for the majority of casual Nintendo fans, Smash is the way through which they perceive the majority of these franchises.

So with the introduction of ZSS in Brawl, Metroid became "that niche sci-fi series with the hot anime sex doll and some other robot character". The concept of playable ZSS was only even a one-off thing at that point - and still is to this day - and as such isn't at all representative of the series. That's part of why people wanted Ridley in Smash so badly instead; he's the only thing around other than Samus herself to a recurring presence in most of the games.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
iu

iu

This the the real Samus, strong frame, stern face, stoic courage

Not this anime waif
Yep

I don't really care about sexualized characters but they clearly downgraded Samus to generic hot anime girl. I liked the Ripley Amazonian style and that's the kind of look I imagine her to have under the suit.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eye opening breakdown here for anyone disagreeing with ya.

zero-suit-samus-gif-5.gif

Chief is a good example because to put it into context, imagine if the design we got of Chief out of armor looked like this:
sexy-soldier-posing-on-a-white-background-picture-id482344103

And from. Then on, that was the only image of chief we started getting. Imagine if the marketing of every halo game or halo related thing was just that guy image shown as chief and there was no MJLNR armor or orange visored helmet anywhere. Every single thing he did in every trailer and game became equivalent to a Magic Mike routine.

That is what the Zero suit essentially is.
Mind showing me all this Metroid promotional stuff that's just ZSS?

Because outside of that one commercial and Smash I've certainly not seen it.

Samus Returns was nothing but the power suit and while ZSS is a Smash character, regular Samus still gets plenty of screen time.

I frankly do not get the complaints about it being "every single thing and trailer being ZSS" because frankly that's not true.

Unless you think her just being there in any capacity is offensive, in which case I don't know what to tell yah.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Mind showing me all this Metroid promotional stuff that's just ZSS?

Because outside of that one commercial and Smash I've certainly not seen it.

Samus Returns was nothing but the power suit and while ZSS is a Smash character, regular Samus still gets plenty of screen time.

I frankly do not get the complaints about it being "every single thing and trailer being ZSS" because frankly that's not true.

Unless you think her just being there in any capacity is offensive, in which case I don't know what to tell yah.

Obviously talking about smash, which mostly advertises zero suit Samus.

Far, far more people know Samus from Smash than they do Samus Returns.

MsMuerta

Nov 8, 2017
I would love it if we got naked Master Chief as a reward for completing Halo games under a certain amount of time, actually.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
I really dislike the Metroid Zero Suit Samus design. Too cartoonish for a series that really isn't. I'd like to see a more detailed model of the below image from the first Metroid Prime. Keep Zero Suit to the 2D games.

Helmetless_Samus.jpg

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Whenever I see Zero Suit Samus I am wondering what bothers me the most about the design. I think it might be the robot heel boots that serve no purpose.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Would be cool. Also the more anime the better.

Best suggestions have already been mentioned.

either the StarCraft: Ghost game we never got

or a character action game

Either you go the Zero Mission ZZS part route and make it stealth heavy, Starcraft: Ghost esque,

Or you just fully embrace action.

Freely switching between ZZS and Power Suit.

ZZS

-ZZS with the whip would kinda play like Bayonetta with Kulshedra

-allow her whip to take sword form for another moveset.

-booster boots from Smash as an upgrade giving her more mobility and unlock as a new weapon for a kick heavy moveset.

-maybe some polearm or 2 energy daggers as weapons

Power Suit. Kind of like a Devil Trigger but not as limited. The Power Suit is too much of a core of Metroid to just have it be a short power up form

-Power Suit would would obviously have all the range and different beams.

-Slower close range combat than ZZS but Charge beam allows her to charge while fighting for some heavy hits with the cannon where she shoots while hitting the opponent

-Grapple Beam lets you pull in enemies Devil Bringer like, throw enemies around, get access to certain finisher

-later in the game Samus unlock a upgrade for the Power Suit that lets her materialize her beam as a bigger sword with different elements due to the different beams. Slightly different moveset and effects based on the beam used to make the sword. She can shoot the sword away which causes it to shatter. Depending on the beams different things happen when it shatters. Can also stab the opponent and send them flying with the sword

-speed booster to let Samus sprint at high speed and also get access to shinespark to allow her to launch herself in a direction. Since its a character action game: Samus can send the opponent flying, activate shinespark which slows down time as you choose your direction, charge past the enemy flying away, catch em mid air with the Grappling hook and slam them into the ground with a finisher.

-morphball and bombs exist. Morphball and using bombs and bomb jumps mid combo

Last edited:

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
The Zero Suit is an emergency survival device. Its design as it appears in the latest games is cool, but the Zero Suit section in Zero Mission is just the tip of the iceberg of everything that was wrong in that game that somehow so many people praise as the best 2D Metroid ever.

The Zero Suit isn't something you should base a game around. ZSS's role in Smash is as far as it should get. Samus is a hunter. Her character is about being armed to the teeth with lethal weapons, kicking space scum ass.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
I think I would basically make a 3D Ghost and Goblins with some armor destruction mechanics similar of how weapons work in BotW or how the Nero's arm works now in DMC5.

You are basically more durable and powerful when going fully armored but it can get damaged by certain enemies special attacks or you can sacrifice it for a more powerful attack gaining certain new abilities in Zero form like dashing/rolling and more iframes. You obtain new parts by killing enemies and harvesting their parts and it would have a light crafting system by splicing enemies DNA.

Also it would be 2.5D ala Samus Returns

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
First that Metroid Prime 4 demonstrates that the ip can sell and then we will talk about spin offs

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I don't know what is up with the ZSS complaints.

She was heavily sexualized ingame since day one. She wears a fucking bikini in Metroid 1 and a leotard on 3. If you 100% those games that is your reward, to see this hot blonde girl almost naked.

Back to the thread, no. A segment in a game, like the first one, yes. An entire game? No need.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what is up with the ZSS complaints.

She was heavily sexualized ingame since day one. She wears a fucking bikini in Metroid 1 and a leotard on 3. If you 100% those games that is your reward, to see this hot blonde girl almost naked.
You say that like it's a given that people don't have a problem with these examples.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Comprehensively sexualizing the character has undermined some of those qualities, I would argue.

Samus's out of suit designs have always been drawn for the male gaze. I do think there's some value in depicting a female character as both competent and sexy. It could be a great chance to have Samus own her sexuality.
With that said I would be okay with them giving her a better costume design.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Sure Samus looks sexy in the suit but does it fit her badass bounty hunter theme? If she was a character that is sexually provocative for story reasons like Catwoman or Black Cat than yeah I'd give you that.
Sorta I guess? Fits the lore and it makes sense, and its not like she isnt still a badass in the Zero Suit. Its obviously sexy on purpose but I doubt Zero Mission created an entire setpiece with different controls and everything just to have a sexy design.

Deleted member 35156

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I kinda like the idea of the game playing kinda like a RE4 in space, would be cool if you start with ZS and then get different armors kinda like Zelda BOTW and close to he end she recovers her old suit back.

Aftet catching up with the posts I gotta say this forum can really take the fun out even coming up with game ideas...

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Zero Suit Samus is just Samus.

Should we have a Metroid game where she spends time out of her armor? That's fine, but her armor is iconic. I don't see how leaving her out of her armor for an entire game would make a Metroid game better.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
As great as Zero Suit Samus is, I don't know if a Metroid game without Metroid gameplay could work. It'd be a cool side mode.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now I need a Zero Suit Samus MGS in space, thanks ERA haha.
And with high heels, please.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i would play a game where i sneak around snapping space pirate necks as long as it ends with getting the suit back and murderizing everyone

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
The Zero Suit is an emergency survival device. Its design as it appears in the latest games is cool, but the Zero Suit section in Zero Mission is just the tip of the iceberg of everything that was wrong in that game that somehow so many people praise as the best 2D Metroid ever.

I'm one of those people. I'm a big, big supporter of Zero Mission as the best 2D iteration in the series*, although I've also spoken out against the Zero Suit section. For a game that promotes itself for its replayability, the excessively long, unskippable cutscene at the start and the mostly rigid progression through the ZS sequence is a big strike against the game. I can think of a few, other minor gripes but for the most part the experience is very solid otherwise. The action is fast and frenetic, and you're left with allot of latitude to accomplish your objectives, with plenty of shortcuts scattered throughout for the adventurous. Encounters are easy but that's understandable since the game's intended to be played fast.

*-Officially at least. AM2R's really good but I'm on the fence about it being the best.

Popcicle

Unbroken Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Does she need one? Zero suit samus exists for nothing but sexy fanservice.

If you're an adult looking at the character maybe, sure. But when you're a kid, i think it's more personally identifying. My daughter liked playing as Samus in the suit in Smash but when she learned that ZSS was the same person, she liked the character more and would point out how it's sometimes cool to play without the suit.

Reminds me of when I was a kid and would play He-Man and Prince Adam toys with different motives. I definitely don't think my daughter would like the character as much if it was just a suited person. She prefers knowing a character is male or female and often picks female characters when the opportunity presents itself more clearly.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I'm all in for Prime 4 having a "out of armor" section that plays like a mix between ilien isolation and resident evil 4.

Oh, and only if Samus looks like this
6482a42e67cbae35ba3bc986354546a2.jpg

For real, the Power Armor is so full of nearly magical abilities that you can't explain a tight fitting underarmor away with real life arguments.
I hate the ZSS Design. Undermines everything Samus should represent.