• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should you be able to use an accessible toilet if you don’t have a disability?

• Yes, anytime

Votes: 328 47.3%
  • Yes but only in emergencies

Votes: 346 49.9%
  • No, never

Votes: 19 2.7%

• Total voters

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It's a toilet - just use it. Unless it specifically has a key you need to request from the staff, then an accessible toilet is just a regular toilet which is accessible for disabled people eg wheelchairs/support bars. Doesn't mean you can't use it too

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only when i absolutely have to. And then, i still feel bad for doing so.
I think emergencies are fair.
tenor.gif

As long as you're doing your business and getting out, there shouldn't be much of an issue.
What's with you and dinos. ? 😜🤣

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
yes, everyone is allowed to use an accessible toilet. you might be a dick if you see multiple free stalls but make a beeline for the handicap stall "just because", but it's more efficient if all the stalls get used and it's not only people with a physical disability who can feel an urgent need to use the restroom or will make use of the extra facilities. you better believe that if I need to change a tampon in a public restroom I'm going to prefer the handicap stall with its private sink to wash the blood of my fingers.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know trans people (including me) sometimes use them just to have a safe place to pee.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I said that having to go so bad that you would otherwise shit your pants is disabling, and it is. Other totally appropriate words to describe it: crippling, painful, incapacitating. You cannot operate normally in that situation.

I did not call it, or equate it to, A Disability, which is a different word entirely. I'm sorry if you found my 'jovial' language inappropriate in this thread about toilets.
You've moved past doubling down and whataboutism and have now reached the third stage of your defense, the semantic breakdown. You literally did equate an urgent need to defecate with having a disability with no mention of IBS (which is obviously a disability). The question was whether it's alright to use the stall without a disability, and you responded by saying you find the sensation disabling. Are we supposed to believe your word choice was a coincidence and intended in no way to draw the obvious parallel at play here? That's all the energy I'm willing to expend on this. I'm not interested in engaging with you further, especially after your "I'm sorry you're offended" nonapology. I hope you can learn something from this.

I apologized because I thought I was in the wrong and failed to consider your condition. But your follow-ups made it pretty clear that wasn't the issue.

Last edited:

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
If it's the only one open, there's no one waiting, and I got to go, I have and will use it.
This. Going to the bathroom usually doesn't take long either, so in the off chance a disabled person does comes among, they don't have a long wait anyway. It's different from a parking space imo.

But I only use one when there is no alternative

Oct 25, 2017
If it's available, There is no standard alternative, there is noone obviously requiring it before you, and you maintain cleanliness (as you should for any public loo), When you gotta go, you gotta go.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
I use them if the others are unavailable. I have never been in the embarrassing situation where a person that actually needs it had to wait on me.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
People do realise some disabilities aren't physical and some disabled people aren't in a position to wait for the toilet and need it pretty much immediately? It's fine to use it in emergencies but if you can wait, please wait for the non-disabled toilet. It can be hard enough going out worrying if you have ready access to a toilet for people with certain illnesses without people using the disabled toilets when they can wait.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like how the baby changing units are quite often in the disabled toilet. I get that it's the one with the space, but it can be awkward.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I consider the sensation of imminent pants-shitting to be disabling.
Having a sprained ankle can be disabling, too. Or a broken wrist. Or any number of injuries. But that doesn't mean you should use those as an excuse to use handicapped stalls. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure they are bigger to accommodate people in wheelchairs or with canes.

That being said, if they're the only stall available, they are not for the exclusive use to those who need them.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
People do realise some disabilities aren't physical and some disabled people aren't in a position to wait for the toilet and need it pretty much immediately? It's fine to use it in emergencies but if you can wait, please wait for the non-disabled toilet. It can be hard enough going out worrying if you have ready access to a toilet for people with certain illnesses without people using the disabled toilets when they can wait.

If there is a queue and a disabled person needs the toilet, then they should absolutely move to the front of the queue. But leaving what could be 25-50% of the available cubicle unused isn't practical

These are toilets suitable for and adapted for disabled people. They aren't toilets solely for the use of disabled people. if they were, they would probably have signs on - like the disabled parking spaces do

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
We have one at work, but nobody here is disabled, so people just use it as any other toilet.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
If there is a queue and a disabled person needs the toilet, then they should absolutely move to the front of the queue. But leaving what could be 25-50% of the available cubicle unused isn't practical

These are toilets suitable for and adapted for disabled people. They aren't toilets solely for the use of disabled people. if they were, they would probably have signs on - like the disabled parking spaces do
You are asking a person to out themselves as disabled and are in need of emergency toilet in front of everyone. That's humiliating. You do realise I'm talking about people with hidden disabilities like IBD? I said you can use the disabled toilet in emergencies but asking you not to use it if you are capable of waiting is a minor inconvenience to you, it's not a big ask. And you often can't wait if you have an IBD or an illness like it.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Equal means equal garldarnit. I've never held up anyone they were designed for and only use them if the other toilets are taken.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You are asking a person to out themselves as disabled and are in need of emergency toilet in front of everyone. That's humiliating. You do realise I'm talking about people with hidden disabilities like IBD? I said you can use the disabled toilet in emergencies but asking you not to use it if you are capable of waiting is a minor inconvenience to you, it's not a big ask. And you often can't wait if you have an IBD or an illness like it.
Those stalls are for people with wheelchairs, not IBD.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They are the disabled people toilets, there are more disabilities then just wheelchairs.
They are handicapped stalls, not disabled stalls. ADA guidelines are there so people with wheelchairs can access the stall. They aren't meant for people with learning disabilities or IBD or whatever.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
In my experience, in dude public bathrooms the bigger handicap stalls are the ones with the diaper changing stations in them, so if you're a parent that's kind of where you need to go sometimes.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
They are handicapped stalls, not disabled stalls. ADA guidelines are there so people with wheelchairs can access the stall. They aren't meant for people with learning disabilities or IBD or whatever.
Disabled toilets are not just designed for wheelchair users, for one there are many people with physical disabilities that don't use wheel chairs that need them.
In my experience, in dude public bathrooms the bigger handicap stalls are the ones with the diaper changing stations in them, so if you're a parent that's kind of where you need to go sometimes.
I think that also counts as an emergency tbh, you need to change your child.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think if you have a case of explosive diarrhea as you describe, nobody with a disability is going to be upset at you using that toilet if it's the only one available. Or, well, at least not for the mere act of it, they might be upset at the rotten smell you no doubt left behind if they follow you in right after.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Often these toilets are not strictly for people with disabilities. Also not all disabilities are noticeable but for this thread I'll say that if you do not have the need for the accessible stalls you should avoid them. If you need to urgently go and there is a queue for the regular stall then I won't hold it against you for using an accessible stall in a public place. This should be a get in, get out type of thing for the most part. Ideally keeping the it open for those who need it more often than not.

I recall when I was younger and we went on a school excursion. We had 6 students including myself using wheelchairs and the location had a single accessible stall. 6 is not a huge number by any means and we started pretty early but it still took all of the 1hr lunch time and a little extra to get everyone through. Some of us are fairly quick. We park the chair, we transfer, do the deed and then exit once cleaned up. Others have a much longer process especially when bringing in carers and possibly using catheters etc. Some of the students were quite heavy and needed assistance with transfers or undressing so this takes a lot more effort and time.

Using the toilets are not even the worse offense imo. By far the worse thing you can do is to leave the toilet in a disgusting state once you're done. This is regardless of whether you have a disability or not. Leaving it in a state where the next user may not be able to use it without cleaning is irresponsible and inconsiderate to say the least. The next user may not be able to physically clean up and the next closest assessible stall could be quite far, the user might have difficulty with movement etc. Just really, really poor form and frustrating experiences. There are usually phone numbers for service and assistance. Call in for a clean up as you leave.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Disabled toilets are not just designed for wheelchair users, for one there are many people with physical disabilities that don't use wheel chairs that need them.
I mentioned in my first post (wasn't a reply to you so you probably missed it) that they are also for people with canes. But hell, they're for people with crutches, care takers, etc. My point is they aren't intended for people who don't have a physical disability. If there are 2 stalls available and a person with IBD enters the restroom, that person doesn't need the handicapped stall anymore than I need it or a deaf person would need it or a person with a learning disability would need it.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Are there no other options at all?
Are you about to burst?
Is it empty?
Is there no one else waiting in line?
Will you compromise to do whatever you must do as quickly as humanly possible?
Is there another accessible toilet in range should you take more than a few minutes?

If yes to all of the above go for it. If not, try to hold it in a while longer. While annoying and stressing, people with disabilities usually don't have any choice in using regular bathrooms/toilets so keep that in mind.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I mentioned in my first post (wasn't a reply to you so you probably missed it) that they are also for people with canes. But hell, they're for people with crutches, care takers, etc. My point is they aren't intended for people who don't have a physical disability. If there are 2 stalls available and a person with IBD enters the restroom, that person doesn't need the handicapped stall anymore than I need it or a deaf person would need it or a person with a learning disability would need it.
I don't think you are in a position to tell disabled people what they need? Like duh, disabled people will use the "normal" toilets when they can, but that doesn't mean they don't sometimes need the other bathroom. Sometimes you need to trust the disabled person knows their need better than you.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I'm going to sound heartless, but the majority of people that use these toilets are perfectly capable of waiting a few minutes, just like everyone else.

That said, I'd only ever use one in a case such as yours. I'm more concerned about why there's only one and it's on the 7th floor. Seems like bad planning.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Are you kidding me?

It's not a disabled stall. It's a first-come first-serve high-class luxury stall. Every time I'll pop into there. It's not like I'm spending half-an-hour in there anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
I sometimes take my kids in disabled toilets if there's no alternative, but only if there's no-one disabled waiting to use it.

Regardless, if I had an emergency like a bout of explosive diarrhoea and there was no alternative then I would use the disabled toilet and just try to be as quick and discreet as possible.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Wait...you had explosive diarrhoea, yet had enough time to check toilets across 7 floors?! Why didn't you just wait to use the toilets in any of the ones you checked?

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disabled parking - NO, never.
Disabled toilet - If it's the only one nearby (sometimes the case), or you're desperate and there's clearly nobody else around wanting to use it - YES.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty easy.
Use the accessible one if all others are full, and there's no special needs person in waiting for it.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
It's not that big of a deal. I have IBS. I can't be picky. If there are other ones open then obviously use those, though.

Although can I get a fucking shoutout to gender neutral solo bathrooms? They're the fucking best. Blowing it up in peace is all I've ever wanted when my body decides to destroy its insides and they're becoming more and more common.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

It's like public transportation. Those signs don't say/mean ONLY for handicap people, but that if there is someone present who needs that seat or stall, they get prioritized. Just don't bullshit and spend 30 minutes in there.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I think for a quick pee is fine, I've done it occasionally and never been met by someone waiting outside. It also lets you avoid the annoying toilet goblins who hang around in pub toilets trying to get money out of you.

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has hip mobility issues and has to basically use nothing but the accessibility toilet. This thread makes an eye twitch a tiny bit.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I have Ulcerative Colitis. If I need the toilet, I need it NOW.

If you're one of the people who voted "yes, any time" you're incredibly inconsiderate.

If it's not an emergency and you could hold it until you find another toilet, hold it.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Did you clean up and make sure there's no trace left of you having had explosive diarrhea in there?

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I... never thought about it that much. I hardly use public bathrooms and have never ran into a disabled person in a public bathroom before. I use them sometimes if the other stalls are filthy or taken. I'll think about it more next time.