• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Xbox Pursue A Partnership With WB/DC Comics (a la Sony and Marvel)?

• Yes

Votes: 92 31.7%
  • No

Votes: 197 67.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
After seeing that fake rumor pop up yesterday it made me wonder whether or not Microsoft and Xbox should maybe get something going with WB and DC Comics. Sony and Marvel's relationship has done wonders (Spider-Man being one of PlayStation's top rated and top selling game) and will continue to grow (Avengers has their Beta and exclusive DLC coming to PlayStation), but it might leave little room for DC.

In the past WB has typically partnered with Sony for their superhero games (Batman has been shown at Sony's conference every time it attended E3, and PlayStation has gotten exclusive DLC), but with Marvel swooping in and taking the reigns, it could be time for them to move on to not share the spotlight.

What do you guys think? Would it be smart of Xbox to seal some sort of partnership, and possibly an exclusive, with WB and DC Comics? If so, what game should they do?

EDIT: And my choice would obviously be Superman. "The most powerful hero on the most powerful console."

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I don't know what exclusive they could secure. They ain't getting Rocksteady or WB Montreal's new games. Those two will likely always be 3rd party unless something drastic happens. Only thing I could really see them getting is marketing rights and maybe timed exclusive content (which I completely despise). Don't see a Spiderman situation ever happening for MS.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Sure! But what first-party studio would be able to make such a game? Spider-Man was made by Insomniac after all, and they're a first-party developer for Sony.

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what exclusive they could secure. They ain't getting Rocksteady or WB Montreal's new games. Those two will likely always be 3rd party unless something drastic happens. Only thing I could really see them getting is marketing rights and maybe timed exclusive content (which I completely despise). Don't see a Spiderman situation ever happening for MS.
Before Spider-Man PS4 any sort of superhero console exclusive seemed crazy..... but then it happened. Maybe if the money is right.

Sure! But what first-party studio would be able to make such a game? Spider-Man was made by Insomniac after all, and they're a first-party developer for Sony.
Now they are. At the time they weren't.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Why not partner with Marvel? WB make games themselves and are unlikely to put one of their studios on an exclusive title. Just get a Marvel character and give it to the initiative.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
One big difference here is that WB publishes games, while Marvel does not

I imagine Xbox could (and probably will if they haven't already) get a Marvel Games deal too, just need the right pitch as it happened with the other partners

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
DC already has a publisher and devs available to them. Why make it exclusive.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
No. Let WB/DC come to Microsoft if it's something they're interested in. I'd rather Microsoft's studios work on producing new IPs than working on existing comic book IP, but if WB wants to put Rocksteady or someone else on a Microsoft-funded DC IP, I have no reason to complain.

Putfire

May 12, 2018
DC has a great line of heroes that can be explored. hardly will Warner be able to work with everyone in the in-house studios, in fact, until now, he only used Batman.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Before Spider-Man PS4 any sort of superhero console exclusive seemed crazy..... but then it happened. Maybe if the money is right.

Ohh, you're right. Sony bought them after Spider-Man. That's still so weird to me since they've been closely associated with Sony for so long.

Still, I would expect Microsoft to commission a high profile developer.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

True, but this is different. Marvel didn't make games. WB does and they don't have much of a reason to give MS their studios' games.

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
One big difference here is that WB publishes games, while Marvel does not

I imagine Xbox could (and probably will if they haven't already) get a Marvel Games deal too, just need the right pitch as it happened with the other partners
WB only has so many studios under its belt. And while it can expand, I don't see them being able to utilize the full catalog of DC characters at their disposal unless they reach out to some other developers and maybe get someone else like Microsoft to partner with them.
True, but this is different. Marvel didn't make games. WB does and they don't have much of a reason to give MS their studios' games.
Like I said above, I don't think they're big enough to put out that many games under DC. If they want to do more, they're gonna have to expand somehow.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
Taking into account WB's business model, anything outside of some timed dlc seems pretty far fetched.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i dont think MS are that much interested if i am honest, seems like they rather acquire studios and have them work on their own IPs.

and as others mention here, WB are probably not interested either as they are publishing anyway.

also, i dont think that the fact sony are partnering a lot with marvel properties lately means they cant with DC, as we can see in E3 2016 when they announced both Batman Arkham VR and Spiderman in the same conference.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Personally speaking I'd rather not have more adaptations of DC/Marvel stuff. Would rather Microsoft's new studios make new IP!

Would it be smart to have an exclusive IP from one or the other? Probably, but I'm no analyst lol

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I always figured MS would try to secure another Marvel IP since Sony and Nintendo both got their exclusives.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017

Obviously Microsoft could pay any studio to develop it as first-party game for them. Same way it has worked 90% of the times before no? Nintendo hired Team Ninja. Sony hired Insomniac.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
DC has a great line of heroes that can be explored. hardly will Warner be able to work with everyone in the in-house studios, in fact, until now, he only used Batman.

With the pull of Batman? Not really. Supes, yes, but good luck making a game with him. Wonder Woman? Eh. Flash? Yes, but just like Supes it's hard to make a game with a character like that. The two biggest hits in regards to DC and Marvel games have been Rocksteady's Batman trilogy and Insomniac's Spiderman. Both of which are A-list heroes with massive pull and somewhat grounded in reality making them easier to work with than a character like Superman or Flash.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
WB only has so many studios under its belt. And while it can expand, I don't see them being able to utilize the full catalog of DC characters at their disposal unless they reach out to some other developers and maybe get someone else like Microsoft to partner with them.

they've been expanding and partnering with more and more external developers too, they don't seem to portray that as an issue right now

One of the reasons WB got more into games in the 2000's and 2010's was to explore their IP themselves, that's the exact opposite of what Disney and their subsidiaries did, that's why I don't see it.

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
they've been expanding and partnering with more and more external developers too, they don't seem to portray that as an issue right now

One of the reasons WB got more into games in the 2000's and 2010's was to explore their IP themselves, that's the exact opposite of what Disney and their subsidiaries did, that's why I don't see it.
I get it. My question was more from Xbox's angle of should they try and get something with WB and DC.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. WB/DC has studios of their own to make all that. No point wasting your own money on a risk for a license you won't own in that case.

Plus, if they're gonna have an exclusive licensed superhero game of their own, it should be a Ninja Theory Daredevil game.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
WB is a publisher with huge in house AAA development studios. Disney/Marvel is not. It's going to take a hell of a lot of cash to convince them to make one of their titles/IP an Xbox exclusive.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Exactly why I don't see it either. If it happens, I see it happening with Marvel and MS has a great relationship with Disney hence all the Disney games that have been made Backwards compatible and Games with Gold.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I get it. My question was more from Xbox's angle of should they try and get something with WB and DC.

Sure, and on that front, I think they should pursue Marvel instead (if they haven't already) because that's a partner that's very open to the idea and one that has a lot of properties on the spotlight right now due to the MCU's success.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
2 things:
- Sony had insomniac on tap to do this. They weren't a first party studio at the time but they operated like one for many years. So it was a win/win for Sony not needing to use up an internal team while also knowing their seal of quality would be on it
- marvel is not internally in the video game business. WB is. They own and operate their own video game studios that develop their properties, they even own Tt that does all the LEGO games. So they don't have the incentive to go out & sign a deal with another publisher. They don't want to split profits with someone when they can keep everything in house.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
WB and DC can do it themselves. They have no need to have Microsoft make a game for them. If WB and DC weren't making any successful games, then maybe I could see a partnership happen, but that isn't the case. Microsoft are more likely to get a game from Marvel. They're in the business of licensing out products for games right now.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, if your cool with Sony and Marvel, this is the exact same and should be for this. So what of DC have a publisher, they don't have MS first party studios.

Yes, hope MS do so!

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, WB are already doing the Batverse, and what other major characters do DC have that would lend themselves to a video game? Supes and Flash are kinda too overpowered. But if MS decided they could benefit from it, then sure, let them have a crack at it.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dunno. I don't like how Spiderman is exclusive but if the game is never going to get made and Microsoft can front a budget for one, I guess it's cool.

I think the dev matters more than the IP, even if they got an exclusive they need a good dev to make a great game.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
I don't think there is anything interesting at DC but I am not a comic book guy so what do I know

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't it Marvel that approached Sony and insomniac. Can see no reason why dc or even marvel would approach Microsoft the quality in their first party is not currently strong enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.