• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Sure, I hate asymmetrical stick placement with a passion, but I also loathe 3rd party accessories, so if I could get a PS style controller on Xbox made by Microsoft? Sold x4.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Most people who game on Xbox are quite happy with asym I dont think anyone really wants sym Xbox controllers.
But im sure Nacon will make them.

On that note, the best PS4 controller was the Revolution.
And i think its fine to leave it to third parties instead of Sony needing to design a whole new controller for whats likely a niche market.

banner-logo-Nacom-Pro-unlimited-revolution-e1553434620573.png

I don't think it's a niche market. Given the choice I think the majority would choose asymmetrical sticks.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Something tells me you don't play 100's of hours of games like COD, Battlefield and Destiny though.

Sony sticks are fine for single player third person adventure games. But those aren't the games i primarily play. Maybe one a year. 95% of my gaming time is the games mentioned above.
If Sony came out with offset stick controller my time on that console would increase dramatically.

I have literally thousands of hours on COD through the years, and many other FPS games. Asymmetrical sticks can go die in a fire. Some people just don't prefer that shit.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would totally buy an Official asymmetrical controller from Sony!
Even though I grew up with a ps1 I still don't like the symmetrical stick placement.
The Wii U symmetrical placement felt better but personally I still think the asymmetrical placement is the best.

xRaymne

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Something tells me you don't play 100's of hours of games like COD, Battlefield and Destiny though.

Sony sticks are fine for single player third person adventure games. But those aren't the games i primarily play. Maybe one a year. 95% of my gaming time is the games mentioned above.
If Sony came out with offset stick controller my time on that console would increase dramatically.
I play 100's of hours of games like COD, Battlefield and Destiny.

I've played wagers/gamebattles on COD.

I prefer symmetrical sticks over asymmetrical.

Just boils down to preference. "Asymmetrical is better for shooters" isn't a statement that is based on fact.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
You sound hostile, with those 1,000's of hours spent using symmetrical sticks, where did you ever find the time to try asymmetrical?

Not hostile, just annoyed people assume asymmetrical placement is some definitive way to play games. I have had every Xbox console launched so I have clearly played asymmetrical a ton, in fact COD 4 I played exclusively on there because all of my friends went with the 360 to start that generation. Anyway my point was just because you prefer something doesn't mean others do.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Not hostile, just annoyed people assume asymmetrical placement is some definitive way to play games. I have had every Xbox console launched so I have clearly played asymmetrical a ton, in fact COD 4 I played exclusively on there because all of my friends went with the 360 to start that generation. Anyway my point was just because you prefer something doesn't mean others do.
Well if Sony wants me to play FPS games on their system they need to do more than lock down exclusive money hats. They need to put out a asymmetrical stick.

Or stop acting like my scuff dual shock controller won't work in games because it doesn't have haptics.

Last edited:

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
I own both and play with both constantly. Though I prefer the Series X controller and Xbox in general since they are more comfortable the difference in sticks is not big enough to affect me.

I would rather have MS focus on a dual sense type controller over this since there are decent 3rd party ones, this is not 1-20 years ago were the mad catz sucked, but if they make one then ok.

I just don't get this point, other than a preference, the stick layout has nothing to do with comfort. I can play dozens of hours in one, switch back and be back into it in a few minutes without issues.

For example, playing 2 different games with different buttons layouts is a lot more confusing and complicated than having different sticks. Recently I was playing Valhalla and Hitman on Xbox Series x and No Man's Sky on PS5. I found it more difficult to switch between games than the controllers. I've played Destiny on both controllers and I have zero confusion issues. You quickly adapt IMO.

The ONLY big difference the stick layout affects is how you access the DPad and most games don't really use it for big actions.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

I did, both on 360 and PS4 and it doesn't matter. Most people get used to it in short fashion. I didn't play any better or worse because of stick placement. And I bet that's the case for most people. Now I'm sure there are a few out there where stick placement can matter, especially for accessibility reasons, but again, not the majority. Either way, luckily there are third party controllers to suit their needs.

Now fighting games... that's a different story.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I did, both on 360 and PS4 and it doesn't matter. Most people get used to it in short fashion. I didn't play any better or worse because of stick placement. And I bet that's the case for most people. Now I'm sure there are a few out there where stick placement can matter, especially for accessibility reasons, but again, not the majority. Either way, luckily there are third party controllers to suit their needs.

You can't use anything but a dual sense at the moment no?

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
You can't use anything but a dual sense at the moment no?

? I'm not sure what you're asking here.

I use DualSense on PS5, yes, but I use an Xbox controller, along with a DS4 on PC quite often. Plus the Switch Pro controller on Switch (and sometimes PC). Oh, and the Wii U Pro controller when the need arises.

EDIT: Oh, you're talking about not being able to use 3rd party controllers on PS5. yeah, I have no idea.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
? I'm not sure what you're asking here.

I use DualSense on PS5, yes, but I use an Xbox controller, along with a DS4 on PC quite often. Plus the Switch Pro controller on Switch (and sometimes PC). Oh, and the Wii U Pro controller when the need arises.
But i can't use my scuff dual shock (with asymmetrical) sticks on a ps5 cause??? They want people only using a dual sense and no paddles?

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
This is my least concern regarding analog sticks.
I want both Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony to use something else than this crap:

s-l1600.jpg

And I believe there are really expensive joysticks that have a option to switch the d-pad and stick position. I saw one when I was searching for a Switch Pro Controller replacement.
What else should they use, what else exists?
Even the $200 pro controllers use this part, because there's nothing else on the market.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
But i can't use my scuff dual shock (with asymmetrical) sticks on a ps5 cause??? They want people only using a dual sense and no paddles?

See edit. I didn't realize what you were asking until after I made that post.

As for why, it quite simply comes down to Sony's greed. No defending that.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

I definitely have an easier time with shooters (and racing games) when using an Xbox controller. On the flip side, if I were into fighting games I wouldn't even consider using an Xbox controller.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
What else should they use, what else exists?
Even the $200 pro controllers use this part, because there's nothing else on the market.

I dunno, they could use some of our money to make a new piece.
But in a world where you can't even open your fucking iPhone without unglueing it I can see why they don't give a fuck.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Stick placement is highly trivial unless you have some type of issue that actually presents a physical inability to use one or the other.

Most people with strong opinions on the matter are just being extremely myopic in their views on controllers. I'd bet there's a strong crossover with those who think one placement is the "right way" with those who think motion control is universally bad, or that gyro is a "waste."

Pick up a controller, take the 60 seconds it takes to acclimate your brain to the differences in setup, and move on.

OP
OP
Magog

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
Stick placement is highly trivial unless you have some type of issue that actually presents a physical inability to use one or the other.

Most people with strong opinions on the matter are just being extremely myopic in their views on controllers. I'd bet there's a strong crossover with those who think one placement is the "right way" with those who think motion control is universally bad, or that gyro is a "waste."

Pick up a controller, take the 60 seconds it takes to acclimate your brain to the differences in setup, and move on.
Not really? I find asymmetrical extremely uncomfortable.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018

PS stick placement is great from someone who plays thousands of hours of first and third person shooters. Why equate your preference to be something objective?

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Not really? I find asymmetrical extremely uncomfortable.
If this is true, then you must be one of those people that has some physical impediment to using controllers of a certain layout.

Finding one layout "extremely uncomfortable" and the other version not is not a typical reaction to a controller.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
because A) the way their controllers are designed have become brand identifiers for their platform, especially in Sony's case B) as with most things on this message board, the market for this isn't nearly as big as you think it is OP, and not big enough for either platform holder to bother with the cost it would take to make this happen. I doubt very much that stick placement is costing either Microsoft, Sony or even Nintendo sales in any significant enough way for them to care.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
because A) the way their controllers are designed have become brand identifiers for their platform, especially in Sony's case B) as with most things on this message board, the market for this isn't nearly as big as you think it is OP, and not big enough for either platform holder to bother with the cost it would take to make this happen. I doubt very much that stick placement is costing either Microsoft, Sony or even Nintendo sales in any significant enough way for them to care.

I'm in the minority, but I avoided playing third party shooters and racing games on PS4 because of the controller. I bought them on PC instead. But that's not a significant amount of sales.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the minority, but I avoided playing third party shooters and racing games on PS4 because of the controller. I bought them on PC instead. But that's not a significant amount of sales.

I'm sure there are some people that feel this way, but these companies can't afford to cater to every single person's specific likes and preferences. A vast majority of people just get used to whatever controller comes with the console they buy and move on with their lives.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
More options are always welcome but personally I don't notice any difference in the positioning of the analog sticks when I juggle between the DualSense, Switch and Xbox controller.

In contrast, Nintendo and Xbox face buttons sometimes make me hella confused because they have the same letters but are in reverse positions. xD I wish MS or Nintendo could switch to something more unique, like PlayStation symbols.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why this matters so much to some people? Is it maybe people's hands being different shapes/sizes or something? I play on both the Xbox and PS5 with no issues, but maybe that's just me.

I'd much rather Sony just release an equivalent of MS's elite controller tbh.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
They won't mess with a vital part of their branding to please someone who might not part of their audience.

OP
OP
Magog

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
If this is true, then you must be one of those people that has some physical impediment to using controllers of a certain layout.

Finding one layout "extremely uncomfortable" and the other version not is not a typical reaction to a controller.
I don't have a disability I just think it's a bad design...

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
That would fix at least one problem I have with Playstation controllers, so I'd be for it.

OP
OP
Magog

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
I don't understand why this matters so much to some people? Is it maybe people's hands being different shapes/sizes or something? I play on both the Xbox and PS5 with no issues, but maybe that's just me.

I'd much rather Sony just release an equivalent of MS's elite controller tbh.

If you're asking if people have vastly different shapes and sizes of hands and fingers yes they do. I'm sure that affects the way people grip and use controllers.

Hyaku Shiki

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
This is my least concern regarding analog sticks.
I want both Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony to use something else than this crap:

s-l1600.jpg

And I believe there are really expensive joysticks that have a option to switch the d-pad and stick position. I saw one when I was searching for a Switch Pro Controller replacement.
Do you have a link for those joysticks?

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I'd love to see Microsoft have an option like this, but not for $200. These threads tend to only demand Sony have Xbox-style controllers, but not the other way around.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I'd buy an asymmetrical dual sense in a heartbeat. Couldn't pay me to use a symmetrical XSX controller though.

OP
OP
Magog

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
Symmetrical sticks is part of their branding?

I found that comment silly as well. Sony have shown with the Dualsense they are more than happy to change up their design. A small change like making an optional stick swap design wouldn't affect their brand in any way except to expand it.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I found that comment silly as well. Sony have shown with the Dualsense they are more than happy to change up their design. A small change like making an optional stick swap design wouldn't affect their brand in any way except to expand it.
I want paddles more than sticks if we are being honest. I'll get over my hate for the same old symmetrical sticks if they put out a controller with paddles. Or their version of an elite controller.

Gjallarsean

Oct 10, 2018
About 115 million people or so at last count.
Maybe you base your decision on console preference based on stick-layout preference, but I think you're significantly in the minority there. I would wager that the vast majority of that 115 million either have no preference on sticks, or have a preference that isn't really a significant concern when it comes to purchasing decision.

OP
OP
Magog

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
Maybe you base your decision on console preference based on stick-layout preference, but I think you're significantly in the minority there. I would wager that the vast majority of that 115 million either have no preference on sticks, or have a preference that isn't really a significant concern when it comes to purchasing decision.
The question was does anyone like symmetrical sticks and the answer is yes a lot of people do, myself included.