• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should/Will Biden pardon Trump?

• LILJON: HOW ABOUT FUCKKKK NOOOOOO

Votes: 1,749 89.6%
  • I see his point. I get the concern. But I still don't think so.

Votes: 94 4.8%
  • Fuck, I hadn't thought of the possibility, however unlikely... Maybe...

Votes: 19 1.0%
  • I don't like it, but I think he should/will

Votes: 70 3.6%
  • Other answer

Votes: 20 1.0%

• Total voters

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
He and his team have spit in the face of every possible check and balance. Let him have his day in court.

kingofrod

Oct 27, 2017
I know there's probably no legal way to actually make this happen, but I think a wonderful scenario would be:

1) Trump is found guilty of crimes that would put him in jail
2) Biden secretly offers a full pardon so that Trump never does a second of jail time, but only on the condition that Trump is never allowed to tweet, go on Fox News, or speak publicly ever again. The second he tosses out a new conspiracy or talks about Hillary's emails, he goes to jail.
3) Publicly, the pardon is framed as "now the country gets to 'move on' and 'start the healing', blah blah blah
4) Trump can't stir up his followers for the next four years
5) Trump dies within a few months without constant attention keeping him upright

Again, I understand this could never actually happen, but it seems like a win/win. Not sure if you could include his children in that scenario too but that would be icing on the cake.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ford said he regretted it and Nixon was part of his party. Now will Biden have the DOJ stay in the background on the case for a while? Sure tons of other messes caused by Trump to fix that are a bigger priority. But NYAG is going to go full steam and if the results of that are obvious there's no reason not to let the DOJ go after his head too

No previous president has tried to fracture the country to this level and pardoning him will Condone everything he's done. But showing he was a crook before he got into office then exposing what he did is the best statement that can be made. The previous presidents people hate can still say they did it for the country, Trump can't

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Biden will personally do anything to Trump pardoning him or arrest him, other people probably will arrest him but not Biden

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Trump can't read, can Biden fake pardon him to get him to concede and then "gotcha bitch! That was a blank piece of paper!" on January 21st?

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather he
Trump will literally pardon himself. Watch it happen.

State of NY will come after him anyway.

Yeah, Trump is shameless enough to sign a piece of paper and scream "I pardoned myself, gotcha!" but that won't stop states from prosecuting him or his businesses.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
They need to go after the underlings and get them to flip on their superiors same way mueller did.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
We've already done this thread, and the answer is no.

If Biden enjoys being flayed alive by his own party, wants absolutely no chance of being re-elected, and wants to destroy his legacy.... maybe he will. But I think Biden is a smart guy, so probably no.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
If he doesn't pardon himself before leaving office, I could see Republicans holding the government hostage until Biden pardoned him. Like forcing a shutdown or refusing to allow appointments/votes until he is pardoned

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
We've already done this thread, and the answer is no.

If Biden enjoys being flayed alive by his own party, wants absolutely no chance of being re-elected, and wants to destroy his legacy.... maybe he will. But I think Biden is a smart guy, so probably no.
I don't see Biden running for re-election at the age of 82. I think he did what he had to do and get Trump out but we need NEW BLOOD.

No and fuck pleasing his fan base/supporters. The last thing they need is more coddling, handholding and people excusing and pretending their shitty actions and the actions of their so-called 'Emperor God' is in any way remotely okay.

If anything, I hope at least some of these idiots will get a much needed wake up call and turn for the better, but I won't hold my breath.

Feb 6, 2019
Dude, Biden hates Trump more than any of us, he's not pardoning him and if Trump pardons himself, I can see Biden finding some way to rescind the pardon.

Oct 27, 2017
No. Set a precedent. This chapter needs to end, not be left open for interpretation.

His cult will disperse back into smaller disorganized dens of hate and conspiracy.

Disgraced as a felon, he will become an example, not a martyr.

stew

Dec 2, 2017
Fuck no!

Racism and Facism shouldn't be normalized. And Republicans will never change. It's not worth trying.

He's a criminal and he should be prosecuted for his crimes.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As many other people have said, Biden himself has shut down the idea.

I think if Trump thinks he needs it, he'll either try to do a self-pardon or resign and get Pence to do it. I believe Ford's pardon of Nixon included crimes known or unknown for a period of time (might be wrong about that) so if he can, that would be the smart move.

Then again, that doesn't cover state charges. Also, Trump isn't smart.

Nov 27, 2017
California
He would never
Only way trump gets off completely free is if he threatens to release government secrets but I think he resigns and asks pence to pardon him
He legit has congress, the Supreme Court on his side

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
If he doesn't pardon himself before leaving office, I could see Republicans holding the government hostage until Biden pardoned him. Like forcing a shutdown or refusing to allow appointments/votes until he is pardoned
GOP is going to have their own problems, they are already trying to distance themselves from Trump and there's a good chance they've got a Nero on their hands. The party could literally schism. Also they don't have the senate yet

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Honestly, the cynical side of me say Trump gets a slap on the wrist at most. By there's no way Biden would pardon him.
Right. I don't think Biden will pardon him, because I also think it's just lunacy to believe that Trump faces any real jail time for anything he's done.

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they throw the book at him and dismantle his brand and his legacy down to their molecules. Trump needs to become the ultimate deterrent for any future wannabe dictator willing to perverse the systems to absolute corruption. Wipe him the fuck out.

ace3skoot

Dec 3, 2018
I wish he wouldn't, he probably will. it the most weakass Dem thing to do, so the country can heal and look to the future. Justice doesn't apply to the rich and powerful.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017

NY State is chomping at the bit to prosecute Trump once out of office.

Last edited:

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
There is no way Biden is going to let a fellow rich white dude face prison time. He can talk about investigations and pressing charges all he wants but the worst punishment Trump will face on the federal level will be a relative slap on the wrist - if any at all.

Oct 27, 2017
He already said he won't
Pressing this over and over is like people who still think one piece will be the journey and friends made along the way

Snake

Oct 25, 2017
No, thinking that Biden would pardon Trump is one of those very obvious signs that someone doesn't remotely "get" American politics at a core level.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
The Trump presidency showed us how fragile our system is and how much of it relies on the honor code. He needs to be made an example of, or the next guy will come along and do what Trump did, but actually be successful. We can't let Trumps actions stand without punishment.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
No, and he won't. He has literally no reason or desire to. Not only has he stated there would be no pardon, and no protection from DOJ investigations, but Biden hates Trump, vehemently.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not a damn thing is going to happen to Trump.

Since when does the US holds its presidents accountable?

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If your question is whether or not Trump will go to prison, the answer is hell no, no way he's going to prison. Whether or not he needs to pardon to avoid that, I'm not sure.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
As someone who's not from US, is there somewhere I can actually read what Trump's crimes are? Like which US laws he has clearly broken?
I understand that he has done lots of morally bad stuff, but every president has done at least some questionable stuff, and it usually doesn't lead to any real punishment, as far as I know.

Anyway, unless Trump has done some outright illegal stuff (like undoubtedly proven corruption or murder), he will not get punished. Not only because Trump has a large following, but because it sets a precedent. And I would believe most presidents wouldn't want there being a possibility of them being taken to prison because of their policies.

Aiervon

Digital Strategist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Dallas
I was under the impression that Trump cannot be pardoned by Biden because the House impeached him. Isn't that part of the constitution?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I was under the impression that Trump cannot be pardoned by Biden because the House impeached him. Isn't that part of the constitution?
I think Biden could, Ford pardoned Nixon and he was being impeached when he resigned. However he can't pardon himself as it'd be in direct conflict with the impeachment

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I believe Biden already said he would not be pardoning Trump

Aiervon

Digital Strategist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Dallas
I think Biden could, Ford pardoned Nixon and he was being impeached when he resigned. However he can't pardon himself as it'd be in direct conflict with the impeachment

Correct, but I believe "being impeached" and "impeached" are what makes the difference in this particular situation.

Had to Google it.

Article II, section 2 of the Constitution gives a president the power to pardon anyone who has been convicted of offenses against the United States, with one exception: "In Cases of Impeachment."

If Trump is impeached by the House, he can never be pardoned for these crimes. He cannot pardon himself (it's dubious that a president has this self-pardoning power in any event), and he cannot be pardoned by a future president.

Source

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biden is not pardoning Trump for anything. And no he shouldn't.

First he needs federal charges of crimes to be pardoned. That hasn't happened yet. Second Biden is not going to hurt his own presidency pardoning Trump. When Ford pardoned Nixon, Ford was *Nixon's own vice president*

I think a lot of people are missing that fact. Some people are acting like the outgoing president is always pardoned by the incoming president and it's a long-standing tradition or something, when in reality it's only happened once and in highly specific circumstances. Ford wasn't even Nixon's first VP, that was Agnew, who also resigned after pleading no contest to bribery charges. Ford was hand-picked to deliver a pardon.

Oct 26, 2017
He's already said he's gonna stay out of it and let the chips fall where they may when it comes to how the DOJ handles it