• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I don't think it's that simple. Can't just say "yeah they're all happy about it" because this is a team of 200 people and we simply don't know. They could come out with a statement that says that they're thrilled to join Blizzard or whatever but I don't think it'd be anything more than PR fluff. This is a studio that was finally finding success in recent years with THPS and N-Sane Trilogy, and who know what they could've done next if they were actually given the opportunity. Regardless, we don't know if they're happy or not so I don't think that's a valid barometer here. Are there people there who are cool with it? Yeah probably. There are also probably people there who would've liked to have more creative freedom with future games rather than being relegated to supporting on whatever they force them to do. They were right on the cusp of having that opportunity to do whatever they wanted after the success of their last few games.
You have no basis to call out any of this. I admit I don't have the basis to call the opposite, but to assume they'd soon have the opportunity to go ahead with full original games and have their own full creative freedom is based on...nothing, I'd assume. Besides that, they're given the opportunity to remake one of the biggest and most highly appreciated games ever.

People act like working with/for Blizzard on Diablo 2 is somehow a step back from Tony Hawk or Crash, it's really not.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Activision would care even if a mob appeared at their offices...but man its fucking sucks that one of their best studios is now relegated to doing grunt work for Blizzard. It's not fair at all to the developers who did exceptional work reviving some of our favorite IPs in Crash and THPS... Honesty makes me want to boycott them for this shit. I don't think enough people care to make them course correct like Microsoft just did, nor do they care either but man...this stinks.
I know there was an article about this, where it was mentioned that they would support existing Blizzard projects etc., indeed, but isnt the latest rumor that they're working on a Diablo 2 remake? If thats true, i dont think it seem to be that much different than what they've done before with Crash, Spyro and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater :)

EDIT: Unless they're a support team for a Diablo 2 remake that is. But would a Diablo 2 remake have a development staff of well about 200 people? Vicarious Visions + whatever other developer(s) that is working on a D2 remake (assuming that all of Vicarious Visions' employees are working on this game). Honest question.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Nah, I don't think it's that simple. Can't just say "yeah they're all happy about it" because this is a team of 200 people and we simply don't know. They could come out with a statement that says that they're thrilled to join Blizzard or whatever but I don't think it'd be anything more than PR fluff. This is a studio that was finally finding success in recent years with THPS and N-Sane Trilogy, and who know what they could've done next if they were actually given the opportunity. Regardless, we don't know if they're happy or not so I don't think that's a valid barometer here. Are there people there who are cool with it? Yeah probably. There are also probably people there who would've liked to have more creative freedom with future games rather than being relegated to supporting on whatever they force them to do. They were right on the cusp of having that opportunity to do whatever they wanted after the success of their last few games.

Either way, it's a lot of groundless speculation, and the idea that it "stinks" or is worth a boycott is absurd without further information.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I don't really see what the difference is tbh. They were making remasters/remakes for Activision. Now they'll be doing the same for Blizzard.

Crash Bandicoot, Tony Hawk or Diablo. Three great IP to work on tbh.

Deadlock

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 11, 2020
They're remaking Diablo 2 dude, one of my favorite games of all time, I'm freaking happy about that because VV have proven they have what it takes.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We're in no position to tell 200 individuals what job they should be doing.

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
Well, Actiblizz had already dug a deep enough hole that I've been dutifully shoveling dirt into, while they progress. So what's another 6 feet for VV?

I've been boycotting them since the Blitzchung/mass layoff fiasco without missing out on anything at all. Which makes me bitter as a former fan of 90% of their (Blizzard's) catalogue. I accidentally bought Sekiro forgetting that was published by them, but aside from that, they rarely appear on my radar, and I usually have better things to play than the tepid fare they tend to deliver.

It just sucks to see them in this state, specifically the Blizzard side, which is admittedly as much Activision now as Activision is. Almost every notable figure with a soul left years ago. They're a shambling corpse shitting out the most cynical cash grabs with flecks of gold dust in them. I have no hope for D2, which will likely be a spitshine job to justify them selling it again, issuing another aggressive user agreement and deleting the original from existence.

I also have even less hope for D4, because you can be sure their MTX/Player Retention R&D will be looking for novel new ways to make money and exploit players for the most profitability. If anything, I'm interested to see how they'll do it with the tide shifting away from MTX. I'm surprised they haven't tried to exploit users for free content creation yet, or maybe in-game brand deals? That at least will be interesting to watch unfold.

Ab4dd0n

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard is still behind the D2 Remake, is not VV leading, so i dont think this is like Crash or THPS.

"Last year, Blizzard pulled the D2 remake from Team 1 and gave it to Team 3 (the Diablo IV team) which is now overseeing and working with Vicarious Visions on the project"

Factors like poor planning, miscommunication and unrealistic deadlines could be present like W3R, its Blizzard after all.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
As someone that was hoping for Tony Hawk 3+4 it's definitely upsetting. But I've never played Diablo so maybe them remaking 2 will make me a fan of the franchise.
But relegating them to be only a support team really sucks. I think they've proven that they're good as a lead development team.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
From someone who's been there and knows a bunch of them, they are probably pretty jazzed about it. They were primarily a support studio anyways (mainly working on Destiny 2).

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Ultimately we don't know how VV feels about this, so it's weird to immediately jump to "this is bad". It sounds like they'll be doing the bulk of the work of the D2 remake, which, all things being equal, is probably a step up from the TH 1 + 2 remake. They did a great job with that remaster, and Activision seems to now trust them to remake one of Blizzard's most beloved games over one of Blizzard's oldest divisions. I don't think we shouldn't be suspicious of this kind of corporate move, but VV does good work and this seems to be enabling them to take on higher profile stuff.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
It seems strange to write off Crash Trilogy and Tony Hawk 1 + 2 because they're not "completely original." They're full games, built from the ground up.

They were certainly doing more than just being a support studio this gen.

What is a support studio, really? Are the people who made Resident Evil Remakes "support"? What about those that made Demon's Souls.

As others have said, Diablo 2 remake is a huge deal.

Ah yes, Diablo 4. I remember now. I'm sure they'll mess that up completely, like Diablo III.

There's a lot of people who really like Diablo III, myself included.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I don't think Activision would care even if a mob appeared at their offices...but man its fucking sucks that one of their best studios is now relegated to doing grunt work for Blizzard. It's not fair at all to the developers who did exceptional work reviving some of our favorite IPs in Crash and THPS... Honesty makes me want to boycott them for this shit. I don't think enough people care to make them course correct like Microsoft just did, nor do they care either but man...this stinks.

Why would you want to make a stink over a company reassigning staff?

i really don't understand this thread.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Moving from a remaster studio into Blizzard sounds like a big upgrade to me, though Blizzard isn't the quality stamp it use to be.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
What is a support studio, really? Are the people who made Resident Evil Remakes "support"? What about those that made Demon's Souls.

As others have said, Diablo 2 remake is a huge deal.

A support studio is just that, a studio that supports the main development studio. They aren't the lead development team on Diablo 2 Remake.
They're mainly there to offset workload.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I hadn't known VV were involved with Diablo 2 before this announcement. Tony Haws Pro Skater 1+2 is absolutely one of the best games to come out last year or frankly in recent memory. Its a fantastic game, and if they are putting that level of love and effort into Diablo 2 that should be nice.

But if they are just a support studio I imagine that's not going to be coming through the same way it did for THPS.

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017

Sure, but they really did ruin D3 at launch, it took time for them to turn it around. It's great that they did, but don't forget the motivations behind the decisions they made at launch. Real money auction house with aggressively bad itemisation? Always online requirement with borked servers? There was more I'm sure.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
I think many, many devs would absolutely LOVE working on an official D2 remake. And many, many would LOVE working for Blizzard.
Also I'm sure this has meant a nice raise for everyone involved.
All good.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as the devs are stable and in a good place, I don't care. Does it suck that you may not get a game out of them now that you may otherwise have gotten? Sure. But devs having a job > consumers getting the specific toy/game they want.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
From someone who's been there and knows a bunch of them, they are probably pretty jazzed about it. They were primarily a support studio anyways (mainly working on Destiny 2).

At least people can stop feeling sorry for them and instead just be disappointed for themselves, and that they're not making the games they personally want. VV are moving from making remakes of dead IPs to working with Blizzard, Activision's most important singular studio, on Diablo, one of the biggest IPs in their portfolio.

That and the people leading Diablo 4 are completely different.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I feel a bit out of the loop here; what did they do to SC:R?

It's still not in a state they promised and they've taken the two people who were working on it still off of it. I was lucky enough to talk to them a lot as one of the communities only casters and they were really nice guys. One's left Blizzard now and the other one has moved over to another game.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but they really did ruin D3 at launch, it took time for them to turn it around. It's great that they did, but don't forget the motivations behind the decisions they made at launch. Real money auction house with aggressively bad itemisation? Always online requirement with borked servers? There was more I'm sure.
Those were the big ones everyone hated. The RMAH makes sense from the perspective of: people already buy and sell Diablo items with real money, we can cut down on scammers by doing this. Problem is it was shit and the general itemization was bad.