• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should we bring 'em back or nah?

• We shouldn't "play god" due to moral/practical concerns

Votes: 82 14.3%
  • We should do it only for certain animals, judged case-by-case

Votes: 309 53.7%
  • Bring as many back as possible. From the wooly mammoth to random bugs.

Votes: 184 32.0%

• Total voters

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
I say rebuild rainforests and natural wonders. Fill whatever areas with various animals. This world is ours just as much as these animals. You obviously cannot bring many of them back because of climate and such but the ones that could thrive and without any repercussion in this day and age should come back without question.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Animals that got recently extinct because of human activity? Yes.

Dinosaurs and mamoths and stuff? Nope.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Only animals that man made extinct. No exceptions, no matter how cool they seem.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
sure as long as it's the dodo
RlwFa2a.gif

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, under two conditions in each case:

- the conditions that made them extinct in the first place no longer prevail (i.e. we aren't bringing back species just to have them go extinct again a few generations down the line)

and more importantly

- the impact of their reintroduction can be modelled beforehand with sufficient accuracy that we can be confident that they will not collapse ecosystems or unbalance them enough to cause more than an expected rate of extinction

Those conditions would apply regardless of the original reason for extinction, which (clearly contrary to many other people in this topic) I see as utterly irrelevant. If it's good to bring them back, do it regardless of the reason they went extinct. If it's bad to bring them back, they stay extinct, even if it was entirely a human-caused extinction. If we can't tell with confidence whether it's a good or bad decision (and this is the most likely scenario for the foreseeable future), then we don't bring anything back.

Concerns about "playing god" are misfounded. Humanity having the ability to determine whether a species goes (or stays) extinct axiomatically means humanity has power at least as godlike as anything in most pantheons. Exercising that power by making a choice about bring back a species or not is "playing god" either way.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
We should be working towards reverting deforestation instead. Bringing back extinct animals won't do much to repair the fucked up climate.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Sure bring them back. I've always wondered if dodo is fatty and almost like red meat like duck or if it's more chicken like.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Yes ,never agreed with "don't play God"

Do play god, make hybrids and while you're at it make humans with gills since we may need them soon.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Let's re-introduce all the extinct megafauna insects like rideable millipedes and dragonflies the size of eagles and put them everywhere but Australia to level the playing field a bit

Oct 26, 2017
Depends how tasty they are.

Yes.
Sure. Many of them seem like they'd be delicious.
Science: We can bring back extinct species!

Capitalism: Dodo Filet Sandwich
awful lot of extinct animals i'd like to try eating

Boy do I have a story for you about eating unfamiliar animals!

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I hate to break it to some people here, but bringing back non-avian dinosaurs is impossible.

Even if we extracted blood from mosquitos found in amber, it would have to have exclusively fed on a single animal prior to getting trapped in tree sap, so as to prevent contamination. It would also have to have been trapped instanteously, as the DNA would've started breaking down in the digestive process. Furthermore, the DNA would've been contaminated with the mosquito's own DNA. And if you managed to somehow extract uncontaminated DNA, the half life of DNA is about 521 years. The bonds in the DNA would've been completely broken down on its own after 6.8 million years.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate to break it to some people here, but bringing back non-avian dinosaurs is impossible.

Even if we extracted blood from mosquitos found in amber, it would have to have exclusively fed on a single animal prior to getting trapped in tree sap, so as to prevent contamination. It would also have to have been trapped instanteously, as the DNA would've started breaking down in the digestive process. Furthermore, the DNA would've been contaminated with the mosquito's own DNA. And if you managed to somehow extract uncontaminated DNA, the half life of DNA is about 521 years. The bonds in the DNA would've been completely broken down on its own after 6.8 million years.
Dinosaur/mosquito hybrids it is then!

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Bring back recently extinct animals to their natural environments.

Bring back all other animals to zoos.

Dodos get to be domesticated to be pets.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
I don't like the poll options. Animals that went extinct before humans did so for a reason. I don't think we should because we "play god" but because it would be a waste of resources.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a terribly irresponsible idea. Either the conditions that made then extinct still exist and they'd live on the brink of extinction again it they'd completely wreck the local ecosystems of wherever they were placed

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I want to know how delicious Dodo was to the point that we killed them. And if the meat is that fire, imagine fried dodo?
Yeah, let's bring it back.

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, fauna that went extinct in the last ten thousand years or so still fill ecological niches that haven't been replaced.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
We had parakeets in America, bears in Morocco, manatees in the Bering Sea, river dolphins in China and seals in the Mediterranean. Oh and pigeons so numerous that they blot out the sun.

I'm fine with bringing them back as long as people put in the work to bring back the environment they came from.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think we should start treating the animals that already live on this planet humanely before we even think of doing something like that

Pickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The ecosystem impact is the reason you shouldnt bring them back, not some moral ground but the survey sucks in choices. Where you introduce these extinct animals will potentially wipe out other species, and us dumb humans are terrible at understanding how small changes in animal population can have huge effects on the environment.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017

Wasn't like a family group of these spotted in the wild earlier this year? I remember a thread about it where the wildlife seekers were submitting some video they captured for official identification.

Unless it was debunked later on and I didn't see that.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't like a family group of these spotted in the wild earlier this year? I remember a thread about it where the wildlife seekers were submitting some video they captured for official identification.

Unless it was debunked later on and I didn't see that.
Sadly debunked later.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I am pro bringing them back, but against the idea of releasing them into the wild, if it is at all possible they could break out of confinement. So, having a herd of mammoth in a forest somwhere seems sensible, as long as we can ensure they stay in a "small " confined region, so can be sure it doesn't cause havoc with other natural species.