• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I'm sad that Ace Attorney seems dead but that may not be a bad thing. Better to end well than to suffer a prolonged fall from grace.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom is back....
Man I am so sad, Ace Attorney is the only game series I played all the localized games, I even watched the anime and played the fans translation of AAI2.
They could at least localize GAA 1 and 2

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Damn are the 3DS games still stuck on 3ds. I have a 3ds, but damn.
Investigations 1, 4, 5, and 6 were ported to mobiles so thankfully they're not stuck on the 3DS.

It's just the professor layton cross over game and the Japanese exclusive games that aren't currently "future proofed" by not being available on mobiles.

TigerBrownie

One Winged Slayer
May 9, 2018
I think we just need to be patient. Seeing what Capcom has been doing lately, I wouldn't be surprised if the next Ace Attorney is a big step up from what we're used to.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Didn't they confirm a new game was being worked on for the Switch? Am I the only one who remembers that? Am I crazy? Or was that supposed to be the Trilogy collection?

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
While I haven't played the the second trilogy, beyond Apollo, I hope the series gets a fresh start with a woman in charge or at least protagonist. I look at the original trilogy with nostalgia goggles but the role of women is really bad. T_T

Despite Dual Destinies being labeled a "Phoenix Wright" game, Athena is ostensibly the head of the show there and the character the game is focused around. And a lot of people have issues with that game, but I adored her as a lead personally. She's easily my favorite defense attorney you play as in the entire series, and the one character I really found myself relating to.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they confirm a new game was being worked on for the Switch? Am I the only one who remembers that? Am I crazy? Or was that supposed to be the Trilogy collection?

i vaguely recall this but it may just have been an illusion

anyway dai gyakuten saiban 1 and 2 eng collection when? i heard the sherlock holmes copyright in the US finally expires in '22, not that that's stopped elementary or any of the sherlock holmes movies

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Despite Dual Destinies being labeled a "Phoenix Wright" game, Athena is ostensibly the head of the show there and the character the game is focused around. And a lot of people have issues with that game, but I adored her as a lead personally. She's easily my favorite defense attorney you play as in the entire series, and the one character I really found myself relating to.
How is her role in Spirit of Justice?

Antoo

May 1, 2019
I'd like a reboot. Chance to reach new audiences and there's not too much juice left in the old cast.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I think the series is done beyond whatever else can be ported to the Switch and mobile. Have they ported all the mainline games already? I remember liking the 3ds entry.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017

Substantially rolled back. She's still there and still has a presence, but it's really the Phoenix/Apollo game, with both of them having a somewhat equal presence imo but Apollo himself getting the bulk of the development (which also takes him in a direction I personally didn't care for as it totally feels like it's not what Shu Takumi had in mind for the character imo). Additionally, the one case that you could say is "hers" is considered by a wide margin to be the worst case in the game and I'd agree with that. It's up there as one of my least favorite cases in the franchise.

Spirit of Justice is generally considered to be the much better game by most people (I disagree with that though, and not because of Athena, but I think it's safe to say that it has more of what the average fan generally likes from the series), so I can see how this can be disappointing.

Also, side note, because of the flag in your avatar, one spoilery thing I just realized about Dual Destinies that's kind of fucked up and might really harm the game for you:
One of the twists in one of the cases basically involves outing a trans person

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Let's just say this meme image that was popular at the time isn't entirely inaccurate.

S3jm04Fg.png

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
I've pretty much accepted that the series is on the backburner for the most part. They're still merchandising left and right - hell, they just opened up preorders for new DGS wall scrolls today - but there hasn't been any real signs of life.

The series is still selling a few hundred thousand copies a quarter, presumably mostly from the trilogy collection, so I imagine a 456 collection will happen at some point. (Frankly I'm surprised it hasn't already, given those games have mobile HD ports as it is.) If I had to guess, I'd imagine a new game has been pitched or started at some point but development stalled for one reason or another. IIRC some time after DGS2 Eshiro said he and Takumi were in the planning stage for the future of the series, but that was quite a while ago, so [shrug].

They'll probably have some celebration of the 20th anniversary next year, but I wouldn't expect much.

As an aside, I do wonder what Takumi is working on these days, even if my "new AA was pitched and scrapped" theory was right and he was involved in it. All we publicly know he's worked on since DGS2 is some script supervision for season 2 of the anime and writing a questline for the Monhun gacha, and DGS2 came out more than three years ago at this point.

VoidCommunications

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 2, 2020
Dead as a doornail. The game always struggled with sales, and nowadays Capcom are edging towards AAA film-like nonsense with RE2 and DMC5. They want the mass appeal more than anything, and Ace Attorney is not mass appeal lol.

I honestly think that the DS rereleases being so successful brought a lot of life to the series. But Capcom and other companies are really chasing mass appeal hard right now, so I don't think games like AA will be the focus for awhile (unless something like it sells gangbusters).

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they are just trying to do a bit of a Monster Hunter World with the game. Just go bigger & more ambitious in hopes that it will help the franchise blow up. Probably not quite as big as MHW (AA doesn't even have the previously existing massive Japanese success to fall back on that MH has had), but not stick to the relatively static visual novel style either.

Either that or they've given up on the franchise (for now) or they are just trying to figure out a new direction that could help it find greater success (not necessarily a lot bigger, just different).

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Despite all the usual Ace Attorney hot takes I will again repeat that every game in the series is good

While I haven't played the the second trilogy, beyond Apollo, I hope the series gets a fresh start with a woman in charge or at least protagonist. I look at the original trilogy with nostalgia goggles but the role of women is really bad. T_T
Young Mia - design aside - was actually a very strong protagonist

At least she didn't get distracted by cute things in the courtroom like Athena

Oct 25, 2017
I consider myself an AA mega-fan.

I'm okay with the series ending. We'll probably get something eventually from Capcom, but if it's done for now I'm totally fine with it.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I expect individual ports of 4-6 spread out over the course of next year.

And then silence again.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a huge AA fan having played every game bar DGS 2, but I'd really struggle to get excited for a new entry. DGS 1 just was not very good and overall the series just doesn't have the spark it once does. If it's to come back at all I think it needs a drastic overhaul, but I don't even know what that could look like. I'd be more interested in a new IP without all the old baggage at this stage.

monstar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but... the series had a great run. AA6 was probably one of the weaker entries, so it might be time for a break any way.

I'm more worried about Ghost Trick. I want a sequel to that so fucking bad...

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Next year is the 20th anniversary so wait a year before worrying.
I definitely want another game, Spirit of Justice is the best in the series.

noffles

Nov 10, 2017
considering just how much ace attorney i've indulged in since i first played them in 2012, i am happy to sit back with DGS1+2 being the only games I'm yet to play, living in a perpetual loop of forgetting and remembering about them every 6 months

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
I think some form of a 4/5/6 port will happen eventually, but outside of that it's probably better off to write the series off as dead until shown otherwise. It doesn't really fit current Capcom's focus on big triple A games and I don't think the series is important to Capcom to be an exception to that like Mega Man is.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Why the FUCK isn't AA Investigations 2 localized yet. Holy shit.

But yeah, I'm worried too.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Trilogy release did fine, I wouldn't be surprised if they're preparing the same for the second trilogy while starting to look at a new game.

I have a feeling they are attached to the portable stuff of the GBA, DS, 3DS and (apart from the Switch, which is not really the same thing) there's not a substitute in the market.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Let's just say this meme image that was popular at the time isn't entirely inaccurate.

S3jm04Fg.png

maya in SoJ is as old as Mia was when she passed right? God I remember feeling so old reading that. (And i literally became a lawyer between playing AA1 and SoJ)

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
My main problem with that game is how much the juggled the case order and playable characters.
I think it was Case 3, then Case 2, and finally cases 4 and 5 were basically the same one, except case 1 was sandwitched in the middle of both.

So you basically never had a full grasp of what each character knew from each other, as opposed to every other previous entry. AAI and T&T did shuffle things a bit, but never to this extent. I think Athena deserved better.

Spirit of Justice on the other hand managed things pretty well. They would shift between Japan and Kurain from case to case keeping the cast more focused and always in chronological order, and then brought everyone together for the final case. Athena did get less screen time as a result of the focus on Phoenix's struggles at Kurain and Apollo's storyline being developed, but I was hoping that a 7th game could finally focus a bit more on her as well as give us closure around characters like Gumshoe and Faraday.