• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo Game Show 2020 is over, and it's yet another that has passed where we have not had an announcement for a new Ace Attorney project of any kind. Back when we were more naive, people had expected TGS 2019 to be either where an AA456 collection would be announced, or an AA7, yet we had nothing. Going over it again, these were the AA announcements at TGS in previous years:
  • 2014: Great Ace Attorney
  • 2015: AA6
  • 2016: Great Ace Attorney 2
  • 2017: AA4 on 3DS
  • 2018: AA123 on PC + consoles
Back in July, one of the primary directors for the modern Ace Attorney games, Takeshi Yamazaki left Capcom. There's basically been no indications or comment on the future of the Ace Attorney series from Capcom, and it was already on unstable grounds, especially in the West with lack of localization and promotion.

Sure, we'll still get cafe collaborations and official collaboration key art, but when it comes to the actual future of the franchise, things are the most uncertain they've been since maybe even the start of the series?

I want more, there's still nothing quite like this series.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't we get some soft confirmation a few years ago that another title was in the works? I mean things could have changed since then, but just curious.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
In a worst case scenario where it's done, I'd be fine with the series ending on DGS2.

Though Shu Takumi or a new team could be working on it. Who knows. As long as Takumi and Yamazaki are still working in the industry in creative roles I'll be happy, I'd gladly take more original stuff like Ghost Trick instead.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At least DGS2 and AA6 were good games to end on if there are no more in the future.
Still, i would love having even one more if possible.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I just finished AI: The Somnium Files (horrible game btw) and that felt like what a new ace attorney game should play like (but with trials of course).

I thought Capcom was working on one. I hope they are. But I am a bit concerned. They're probably not big sellers and selling one of these games for $60 or $70 is a big ask. I think the AI game bombed.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Yeah there was another thread a few months ago about how we're in the longest gap between new AA releases ever and it really does feel like the series is just retreating back to a dormant state. Capcom really seems to be shifting focus away from smaller projects in the last few years that aren't ROM collections (Mega Man 11 is like the sole exception that comes to mind), and DGS2 to my understanding underperformed considerably.

If Takumi ever leaves I'm sure he's going to get picked up by another company in a heartbeat, I'd like to see him handle more stories that aren't exactly beholden to the AA world as much as I love it, much like how I enjoyed Uchikoshi's work in AI.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the series future is really unsafe. The death of portables with the 3DS really sucked up the market for these low-budget VN games. I feel Capcom doubts the series future at $60 price point. To not speak about the fact the presentation has to be upped for HD consoles, which means a bigger budget for games that aren't big sellers.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is Shu Takumi doing right now? Last game he was involved in was DGS 2 and he doesn't really want to do another AA game with Phoenix.

iirc there was a rumor that a new AA is in development though.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Might be good to let it rest a bit or do a clean reboot. Personally I felt the latter entries weren't very good and they've all started to feel very repetitive and this from someone that bought all of the games in the series.

I don't think these tend to do very well outside of Japan anymore considering the later entries either weren't localized (DGS 1-2, AAI 2) or were digital only (AA5 and AA6). The time of AA success on DS seems to be long gone.

Do Capcom even has such projects anymore outside of Megaman collections? It seems they are pumping full speed RE, DMC, SF and Monster Hunter these days.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I'm more worried about its past. The series past the original trilogy has not been ported to PC and consoles. I really hope they are slowly working on translating all the non-localized spin-offs in preparation for more remaster collections.

Last edited:

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Nah, it'll be back at some point. As you mentioned, that fact that Capcom continues to advertise the series in small ways means that it's still on their radar. I don't think the series is actively being worked on at the moment, though.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
We've had a lot of ace attorney games. I'm personally good of they've ended it. Personally don't find it a bad thing when series end.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Yamazaki leaving would be the final nail in the coffin for me, just when he was getting good too. Unless someone else wants to take over, I think that's it for the series.

Best case scenario they finally localize DGS 1/2 and AAI2 or they port 4/5/6 to current gen

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Hopefully it's just been back burnered until a really good idea for a new series comes along... and that series gets localized :V

In the short term a port of 4-6 would go a long way to calming fan nerves.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Nope. They're probably going very ambitious with the next one and that's why it's taking them long

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'm more worried about it's past. The series past the original trilogy has not been ported to PC and consoles. I really hope they are slowly working on translating all the non-localized spin-offs in preparation for more remaster collections.

Same.

New games would be nice too, but please make Investigations easily available. :/

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
At this point, I think the only way it's alive is if they're somehow working on some kind of high budget version of the series, which would explain years of silence. Although I'm pretty sure a high budget Ace Attorney would end up very different from the previous games...

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Been worried, yeah. Capcom is a mid-sized developer LARPing as a big developer and it's caused their pipeline to contract down to like 1-2 AAA releases per year.

Nov 1, 2017
I think it's going to be in the same state as Okami. Dead and buried, but occasionally excavated for ports, crossovers and merch. :(

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
I'm still hoping for 456 for consoles. I probably wouldn't buy them again but I have a friend who has recently gotten into the series. Though they do have a 3DS, so they still could get the games on there.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Might be good to let it rest a bit or do a clean reboot. Personally I felt the latter entries weren't very good and they've all started to feel very repetitive and this from someone that bought all of the games in the series.

I don't think these tend to do very well outside of Japan anymore considering the later entries either weren't localized (DGS 1-2, AAI 2) or were digital only (AA5 and AA6). The time of AA success on DS seems to be long gone.

Do Capcom even has such projects anymore outside of Megaman collections? It seems they are pumping full speed RE, DMC, SF and Monster Hunter these days.
They're working on a Mega Man game right now, so there's that.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
When I saw the news that Yamazaki had left I figured it was good as dead, especially with the total silence lately. It's been two years since they announced the trilogy ports, there's no reason why they couldn't at least have an announcement for a 4-6 collection ready to go by now if they actually cared anymore.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I don't know if worried is the word. The series has 12 entries that are all good to incredible and they don't really age due to how they play. I would like more titles in the series but I wouldn't be heartbroken if it didn't happen. There's like 250 hours of great game in there already.

But yeah the franchise doesn't seem to suit modern Capcom's identity. They're a Resident Evil and Monster Hunter machine. Plus some ports. Still surprised a 4-6 collection hasn't happened. They kind of need that before the series goes multiplat, and it's easier than ever for the series to release on every platform to make up for sales lost as the handheld market shrinks.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah if next year is the 20th anniversary for series and nothing is said, hinted or shown then.....welp :p

Richardbro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I still have hope. I have a source at USA Capcom (my only gaming source. You don't have too believe me but I knew about all the Ace Attorney announcements for the past 5 years). Maybe not in the next 1-2 years, but they have interest in eventually doing a 4-6 trilogy on PC and consoles. As for a future new installment, no plans for now.

I have heard from my source that sales of 1-3 HD trilogy on PC and consoles exceeded expectations. PC on steam was particularly noteworthy.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I still have hope. I have a source at USA Capcom (my only gaming source. You don't have too believe me but I knew about all the Ace Attorney announcements for the past 5 years). Maybe not in the next 1-2 years, but they have interest in eventually doing a 4-6 trilogy on PC and consoles. As for a future new installment, no plans for now.

I have heard from my source that sales of 1-3 HD trilogy on PC and consoles exceeded expectations. PC on steam was particularly noteworthy.
He's got a Punished Apollo avatar, he checks out

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Worried? Yes absolutely!

I want the second trilogy on newer consoles. AA6 is only on the OG hardware and phones I believe.

But I so desperately want another title, something to show me how their story goes

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
People kept saying to hold out only for the people who worked on the series to leave Capcom and there to be no rumors at all.

If they were doing 4-6 collection I feel like it would've been announced at TGS either this year or last year. If nothing happens in 2021 it's very likely dead or shelved.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I considered the series as complete at first with the trilogy and put it to rest, but then they had to fuck shit up by releasing Apollo Justice. Ever since then, rather than just a fan I'm more of an avid worrier of the series really.

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I considered the series as complete at first with the trilogy and put it to rest, but then they had to fuck shit up by releasing Apollo Justice. Ever since then, rather than just a fan I'm more of an avid worrier of the series really.

Actually I really liked the DS case that introduced Emma Skye. That was great and was excited to see the DS features used in this new chapter applied in AA4...but it's like they lost the creativity by the time AA4 came out or something.

Richardbro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Honestly, 4-6 are not as consistent and well planned as the first 3, but they have some high highs.

Investigations 2 on the other hand, what a game.

DGS 1 and 2 and consistently good as well.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I really, really love Ace Attorney, and I'm not sure I need more. If these games stand as they are for years to come without meaningfully adding to their story, I'm kind of okay with it.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
While I haven't played the the second trilogy, beyond Apollo, I hope the series gets a fresh start with a woman in charge or at least protagonist. I look at the original trilogy with nostalgia goggles but the role of women is really bad. T_T