• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Valve have an E3 press conference to promote games on Steam?

• Yes

Votes: 76 33.8%
  • No

Votes: 149 66.2%

• Total voters

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
PC gaming is in all time high and nowadays I see no reason for a 3rd party game not to be on PC.

One of the biggest responsible for that is Steam.

Like it or not, the platform changed the way people deal with PC games, making it much closer to what consoles offer and yet maintaining the open platform aspect that we all love when gaming on computers.

So, as a next step to his platform, should Gabe promote a E3 press conference, the way Microsoft does it, the way Sony used tondo, or at least a "Direct" like Nintendo?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
to promote games on Steam?
We already have the PC Gaming Show tho? That's basically what it's already doing. A Valve conference is kind of just wasted space (assuming they don't show any games of their own). They don't need to hold one and would do fine without it.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
No

Should GameStop hold a conference to promote games in their store?

And LOL at Steam being "open". It's still DRM.

ZanderEzekial

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberspace
Valve has nothing to do with 99% of the things going up on their storefront. In 2019, the games they'd promote that wouldn't have a place on another E3 stage also just wouldn't be at an E3.

Epic Games could probably have a press conference when you combine Fornite with the game they're bringing to PC. But Valve is just not in that position.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
Unless Valve is planning on announcing some new games of their making, no. There is more to gaming that Steam and Steam sales.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think they should. It would be good advertisement for Steam + they can say they are helping developers showcasing there games.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
No.

You could maybe highlight two dozen games and piss off 2000 others.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Does Microsoft only show 1st party games during Xbox Press conf?
That's not the same thing. Microsoft is a console manufacturer so it's kind of a given to showcase third party games coming to their system that make their console look better than the competition. Steam is a platform yes but it very much has a hands-off approach with curation and the like. Even hardware! This is because Steam is still the most dominant digital distribution platform for games there is. Games will always come to Steam. A conference isn't necessary and can easily be done by a third party (PC Gamer in this case) while Valve promote games through their store.

VerySerious

Oct 25, 2017
It would certainly help the general perception of Steam. Many people still think Valve sit around doing nothing, even though they've done so much recently. Unfortunately, GDC presentations and Steam group posts just aren't as effective as promoting the platform as a full Direct/presentation.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
If they do that they better have a game with a number 3 in its name by them.

Raised in a Barn

Chicken Chaser
Mar 26, 2019
It will just be Gabe walking out on stage saying "Check the Steam store" and then walk off.

Everyone rushes to Steam and there it is, Deathmatch Classic HD. WOoooooo!

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Days): Trolling. Previously warned for drive-by posts.
PC gaming is in all time high and nowadays I see no reason for a 3rd party game not to be on PC.

One of the biggest responsible for that is Steam.

Like it or not, the platform changed the way people deal with PC games, making it much closer to what consoles offer and yet maintaining the open platform aspect that we all love when gaming on computers.

So, as a next step to his platform, should Gabe promote a E3 press conference, the way Microsoft does it, the way Sony used tondo, or at least a "Direct" like Nintendo?
Sure, when Valve becomes a game developer again and show their own games on it like everyone else.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like something like that.
I loved what Kinda Funny did last winter and would love it to be a regular thing.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they should do a E3 show but they have their own streaming platform, I think a monthly video like a Nintendo Direct (maybe Steam Spotlight) that shows off upcoming games on Steam, upcoming updates for their games and big games on Steam and upcoming Steam features would be great. Have it hosted by Valve employees to give more of a public face to the company.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
With the amount of GOOD games released on Steam regularly, I'd rather they have a monthly Direct-like video to show notable releases from AAA to unknown indies. A weekly video is better (and Valve certainly can afford it), but monthly is still ok too.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
We have the PC Gaming show that already fills that gap.

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
With the amount of GOOD games released on Steam regularly, I'd rather they have a monthly Direct-like video to show notable releases from AAA to unknown indies. A weekly video is better (and Valve certainly can afford it), but monthly is still ok too.
That would be a good way to approach it, yeah. Otherwise I don't see how Valve would fairly select which games to headlight in a single E3 presentation.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Didn't really know what to choose. I'd love a better presentation of PC gaming during E3. Gamescom is better with this tbh.

But because PC gaming is so open and decentralized, there isn't really a company that could show off PC gaming that well.

Some big publishers on the PC gaming side like Paradox, Ubisoft, Blizzard, Microsoft, etc. could build a great show. But most of 'm have their own avenues to do so.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Sure, when Valve becomes a game developer again and show their own games on it like everyone else.

They literally released a game not less than 6 months ago and are developing In The Valley of Gods with other unannounced games.

Valve would need to make games first.

Artifact came out November last year. In the Valley of Gods is in development. They are still supporting their decade old games with new content, modes etc.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I could get behind the alternative idea of releasing a monthly highlights video to show off games on Steam. Like a video montage version of the monthly PC thread that usually pops up here.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The people that need the exposure (smaller games/devs) will be miffed as you can't possibly pick and choose which ones to feature. And the ROI will be negative for Steam. Who will remember that smallish indie game at the 5 minute mark of the sizzle reel?

The big games from big publishers have enough exposure already and Steam is assumed to be the platform unless EGS buys an exclusive so they don't need the extra exposure.

An E3 press conference will achieve nothing unless Valve internally have games, hardware or a new service to show off.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Should they? No, we already have the PCGamingShow @ E3, but it would be cool if they did I guess.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It'd probably be a good olive branch to the pubs/devs who aren't super stoked right now but it's definitely not a necessity/expectation

I could see them show up at the PC Gaming show with In The Valley of the Gods tho

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be a good way to spotlight some cool gems on their service. Indies would probably really love them for that. I think back to the Unravel guy getting to show off his game at E3.

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
I'm legit curious if there would be any boos if they announced EGS exclusive games live.
I might be remembering wrongly but back in the Borderlands 3 announcement there was a mention of Epic and you could heard a boo from someone in the crowd almost instantly. It wasn't even EGS, just Epic.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
I am one of those individuals that believes that the PC E3 thing this year will mostly be EGS exclusive (a some of the games show cased last year are now EGS exclusive games).

For this year I am still looking forward to the PC gaming Show but that's mainly because of SEGA EU.

I voted "yes", the reason for it not so much being that Valve should have an E3 event but rather that Valve should try to do something to highlight upcoming games on Steam (even if it's just on a monthly basis and not a weekly thing).

By the time the Summer Sale 2019 happens maybe we will see something/ more publishers using the Steam email system (that now allows you to send special emails to people that follow your dev/publisher page on Steam)

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
No, unless Valve has something interesting to say about Index, Half Life 3, etc. - NOT about Steam. Their strategy is blending into the background. They want to be the default that you forget about because it's always there. Steam also wouldn't have an easy time promoting anyone else's game on stage. And remember, most of Valve's really successful games already have better venues for them to share that information - ie: competitive CS tournaments and The International.

Epic, on the other hand, could potentially use a stage show.