• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (5 days): Trolling; history of same
America is in a very strange place, especially to an outsider looking in. Its political system is fundamentally broken, the economy is on federal life support, mass shootings have become the norm, the healthcare system is frighteningly poor for a superpower, hell even the postal service can't catch a break. Like what the hell man?

Будете ли вы счастливее увидеть, как США распадаются на более мелкие штаты? Если так, то как?

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I very much think the US is too big and too disorganized but, I'm just a dude. But also, the makeup of the States is incomparable to something like the EU. They are politically and socially very, very different.

Some states would be fucked by it but, I mean, one could argue those states being part of the union screws over other states, so it's sorta a lose-lose no matter which side you argue on.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
Why is everyone hoping the EU will fail?
Unlock the US/China, it actually does more good than bad for its members citizens.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Whatever happens to California it seems like living in any other state isn't a great idea right now.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
True, but in most of those 25 years one of the members never actually left. You can't deny that Brexit has changed the tide.
Yes infact brexit has shown that leaving the EU will make you a non voting member that is forced to follow EU regulations anyway.

Citing brexit as a reason why the EU is gonna breakup lol.

You must have missed the part where the EU forced absolutely everything on the UK it wants to.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
True, but in most of those 25 years one of the members never actually left. You can't deny that Brexit has changed the tide.
Has it? Brexit is the UK shooting itself in the foot and becoming the EU's bitch, it really hasn't led to any desires by other countries to leave.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
The country won't be broken up, but the experiment that is the United States has failed.

The whole thing falls apart if the United part isn't United.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Right now while I'm a red state? No. Once I get my degree and move to a blue state? Hell yeah break this sucker up.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
If for nothing else, America should be broken up just to cripple its ability to fuck with other countries.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Brexit was great to convince people leaving the EU was a terrible idea. Brexit actually diminished willingness to leave in every single EU country, including Britain. Breaking up the EU or the US is saying you want to become irrelevant.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, it will make clear that leaving the Union is actually a bad idea. I doubt Brexit will be very desirable example for other members to follow.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I very much think the US is too big and too disorganized but, I'm just a dude. But also, the makeup of the States is incomparable to something like the EU. They are politically and socially very, very different.

Some states would be fucked by it but, I mean, one could argue those states being part of the union screws over other states, so it's sorta a lose-lose no matter which side you argue on.
That's an understatement. Illinois would be truly fucked.

OP
OP
Ignis

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
Yes infact brexit has shown that leaving the EU will make you a non voting member that is forced to follow EU regulations anyway.

Citing brexit as a reason why the EU is gonna breakup lol.

You must have missed the part where the EU forced absolutely everything on the UK it wants to.
Has it? Brexit is the UK shooting itself in the foot and becoming the EU's bitch, it really hasn't led to any desires by other countries to leave.

You misunderstand my point. I'm not using Brexit as something to be proud of, or for other members to see and follow the same direction.

I'm saying the sheer fact it actually went through shows the possibility that other members are entirely capable of being in the same position should their democracy demand it. Italy right now is falling apart compared to other parts of the EU.

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
As shown with Brexit is incredibly difficult to break from a Union. It's not as simple as saying "We're out" and it being done. How would trade work? Would states keep the same laws and regulation? How would people working across state-lines work?

I'm not American so someone will have to explain - how would a state even go about seceding? Can they unilaterally hold an in-out referendum or does every other state have to agree?

And slightly off-topic:
I'm not sure any EU state has looked at Brexit and though "Wow, I should try that". Immediately after the vote there was talk of #FREXIT, #IREXIT, #DEXIT ect. but now there is deathly silence. I'd say the EU without the UK is in a slightly stronger position than in the past, it has shown that despite it's weaknesses it is better together and the UK was frequently thorn in the side of the Union, dragging it's feet to stop passing legislation.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
The main argument for breaking up the union: the coastal states, unhindered by the political leanings of the interior, can pursue a utopian agenda (whether or not they actually achieve it) rather than fighting a constant backslide into barbarism tooth-and-nail.

The main argument against breaking up the union: many of those interior states will effectively become third world countries if left to their own devices, creating a massive nexus of human suffering that any reasonable utopian nation next door would feel compelled to alleviate, anyway.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
You misunderstand my point. I'm not using Brexit as something to be proud of, or for other members to see and follow the same direction.

I'm saying the sheer fact it actually went through shows the possibility that other members are entirely capable of being in the same position should their democracy demand it. Italy right now is falling apart compared to other parts of the EU.
Italy would have to amend their constitution 3 times to even be able to do a referendum that even in the current situation won't have a leave majority according to polls.

Your posts sound like the exact soundbites we europeans are used from anglophones.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
If for nothing else, America should be broken up just to cripple its ability to fuck with other countries.
At which point China and Russia will step up to the plate. Yay!
Brexit was great to convince people leaving the EU was a terrible idea. Brexit actually diminished willingness to leave in every single EU country, including Britain. Breaking up the EU or the US is saying you want to become irrelevant.
They voted to leave in 2016. They won't be out until the end of this year. 4 wasted years for what was supposedly a cakewalk.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty ironic that even at a time when anti EU figures like Salvini call for more EU support the english and american media is speaking of the EU breaking up

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
should the US be broken up? who's gonna be doing the breaking up? states can't just leave despite what these secessionist groups tell you.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
And lots of cities in red states that are liberal.
S2EgqlhKugxIoQ7IhZMHbaGvmJQL9xydJyvSgT_zFfQ.png

Kojima is a prophet

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The United States is never going to break up. The country is highly centralized, culturally unified, geographically well-connected, politically stable and wealthy. California and Texas are not as different as Germany and France.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The main argument for breaking up the union: the coastal states, unhindered by the political leanings of the interior, can pursue a utopian agenda (whether or not they actually achieve it) rather than fighting a constant backslide into barbarism tooth-and-nail.

The main argument against breaking up the union: many of those interior states will effectively become third world countries if left to their own devices, creating a massive nexus of human suffering that any reasonable utopian nation next door would feel compelled to alleviate, anyway.
This is a really dumb take.

DCPat

Oct 28, 2017
The EU is not going to fall apart.

People with knowledge about this stuff. How independent are the states of America in comparison to the "states" of the EU already?
Do you think states will benefit from more independency?

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The EU is not going to fall apart.

People with knowledge about this stuff. How independent are the states of America in comparison to the "states" of the EU already?
Do you think states will benefit from more independency?
They are not nearly as independent as the countries of the EU.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
As shown with Brexit is incredibly difficult to break from a Union. It's not as simple as saying "We're out" and it being done. How would trade work? Would states keep the same laws and regulation? How would people working across state-lines work?

I'm not American so someone will have to explain - how would a state even go about seceding? Can they unilaterally hold an in-out referendum or does every other state have to agree?

There's not really a legal way to do it, at least that I know of.

It's only been tried once, it caused the Civil War.

Status
Not open for further replies.