• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pjl93

Jun 2, 2020
NJ
I'm not saying end the show yet just have something on the back burner as a potential finale like what they did with Holidays of Future Passed instead of running out the clock till a member of the cast walks or passes away.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
On the basis that we're already a couple decades removed from the opportunity to provide an appropriate finale, I don't think it really matters.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
They'll manage. I mean, The Simpsons Movie was considered as a finale. When they used up that one, they managed Holidays of Future Passed. Last season's The Way of the Dog could also serve as one with the ties back to Roasting On An Open Fire. If they are smart, they only use their potential series finale when they already thought of an idea for the next one.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
They'll manage. I mean, The Simpsons Movie was considered as a finale. When they used up that one, they managed Holidays of Future Passed. Last season's The Way of the Dog could also serve as one with the ties back to Roasting On An Open Fire. If they are smart, they only use their potential series finale when they already thought of an idea for the next one.

I don't think the idea is the issue, if you lose a critical voice actor you can't make the idea.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the idea is the issue, if you lose a critical voice actor you can't make the idea.
The recasting of black characters with black voice-actors is not just an important step for representation, but also a test to see how people will react to a recast.
I mean, they have already recast Doris Grau, they had no problem shifting Maggie Roswell to the side for four years, Fat Tony has been twice done by someone else, Jan Hooks got replaced by Tress, Russi Taylor was replaced by Grey DeLisle after her death, ... For now, my believe is that only Marcia's and Phil's characters are actually retired forever. They respect Phil Hartman too much to ever replace him and Marcia was too unique to ever be replaced as Edna.

Last edited:

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
They will never be stupid to justify it that way, but they sure as hell going to look at the average reaction. It is the first time they have widely publicized a recasting.

I think they're going to be stuck given when Hartman and Wallace died they retired their characters out of respect. Dunno they'd just be able to replace the voice actor, I can't see that going down well.

Maybe they can if someone quits. I dunno what their plan was when it looked like Shearer was gonna quit a few years ago but it's a tough situation to justify otherwise.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I think they're going to be stuck given when Hartman and Wallace died they retired their characters out of respect. Dunno they'd just be able to replace the voice actor, I can't see that going down well.

Maybe they can if someone quits. I dunno what their plan was when it looked like Shearer was gonna quit a few years ago but it's a tough situation to justify otherwise.
But they only did so for Hartman and Wallace. They replaced Doris Grau, Jan Hooks and Russi Taylor. Manjula and Lunchlady Doris might have been easier to replace due to not being that widely used, but Russi Taylor did Martin Prince, Sherry and Terry, Uter, ... She was in almost 200 episodes, making her number 12 in terms of appearances. 10th if you discount Chris Edgerly and Karl Wiedergott who don't have specific characters to voice, so whose absence you wouldn't notice that easily.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Under the assumption the Simpsons needs a finale, it should've already had one years ago.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
But they only did so for Hartman and Wallace. They replaced Doris Grau, Jan Hooks and Russi Taylor. Manjula and Lunchlady Doris might have been easier to replace due to not being that widely used, but Russi Taylor did Martin Prince, Sherry and Terry, Uter, ... She was in almost 200 episodes, making her number 12 in terms of appearances. 10th if you discount Chris Edgerly and Karl Wiedergott who don't have specific characters to voice, so whose absence you wouldn't notice that easily.

Yeah I don't think any of those characters quite have the same status as the ones Wallace or Hartman voiced. And a Simpson would be in another league entirely. I just REALLY can't see any scenario where they get a new Homer or Bart. It's too wild to think about.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't think any of those characters quite have the same status as the ones Wallace or Hartman voiced. And a Simpson would be in another league entirely. I just REALLY can't see any scenario where they get a new Homer or Bart. It's too wild to think about.
Luckily both Dan and Nancy are still relatively young. In the family, Julie Kavner would be the worry, and she lost her iconic voice a long time ago.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
What are you talking about? The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson already happened. Sure, it was an unconventional idea to use a normal episode as the finale but I think it paid off beautifully, just eight perfect seasons of television and that final episode to cap it all off.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Would anyone actually care if it just... ended?

It hasn't been relevant for almost 20 years.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
With the way some of the VAs sound now idk if it would make much of a difference. Julie Kavner in particular has sounded awful for a good decade if not more. They really should be looking into recasting Marge, let that poor woman rest.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think The Simpsons needs a finale
This.

Its a classic sitcom with no continuity between episodes.

I guess they could have a final episode be a good-bye to whoever watched it for the 100 years it has been on tv, but they definitely don't need to do it.

Looking back it is absolutely insane how much the world has changed since the Simpsons came on. When the Simpsons first aired it was very rough (meaning they were still finding their way) adult animated sitcom and Fox was not really taken seriously and Cosby was the number one show in America at a time when the networks ruled and cable was a second class citizen. Simpsons definitely put Fox on the map.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I recently went back to some of the first 10 seasons, and they still hold up.

Then I watched a more recent episode and couldn't finish it.

I figure it should just fade out on a regular episode with a "Thanks" in the credits.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
I still say the ending to I'm Dancing as Fat as I can could have been the series finale.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
They could do it in Tracy ullman style where everyone had super weird voices anyway lol

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I'm convinced that even if they did a finale they will recast and reboot. It's Disney owned now after all, it's been going for over 30 years and still has an audience. Years ago when one of the older VAs wasn't coming back due to negotiations falling through, they were going to recast his characters. They've done recasts for other countries for the main characters even.

The Simpsons will never end at this point.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I missed this thread when it briefly surfaced a week ago but I will chime in with my two cents.

I'm not entirely sure that a new pre-made series finale is needed because you could realistically make the argument that the vast majority of people who would tune in for the show's final sendoff on broadcast TV (in its present incarnation) haven't watched Holidays of Future Passed yet. So it would still be new to them if you were to air it.

Let's take a hypothetical scenario. While I fully believe the show is looking at another 2-year production extension (one that is taking a little longer to push through due to Disney now being a direct player in negotiations for the first time), if the show were to end after these final 29 episodes were aired in December 2021 here is how I would think they should do it.

Have a 3-hour prime time special booked in a large theatrical venue in Los Angeles. Make it an event you could sell tickets and/or invite fans out to. Have the entire cast in attendance. Invite all of the noteworthy celebs that voiced iconic characters to attend. Do a musical number or two (possibly have Conan reprise his Monorail bit from the Hollywood Bowl from a few years back). Air Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire at the beginning (after an Ullman short or two). Air The Way of the Dog in the middle. Air Holidays of Future Passed at the end. Have some new Morgan Spurlock documentary footage where the cast and creative talent share what the show has meant to them. Have an In Memoriam... segment where we remember all of the people who contributed to the show in some capacity or another that have died... with Marcia Wallace, Phil Hartman and Sam Simon at the end. Have a fresh bit of animated content where the Simpsons family and its cast of memorable characters all say goodbye in their own unique way. Everyone involved with the show gets a standing ovation on stage at the end. Close with the family watching the end of the special on their living room couch and changing the channel to see what else is on.

And that's it. You're now done until the inevitable Disney repackaging/reboot 5-10 years later.

N7Commander01

Jan 2, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
The original idea to end with the series with the family attending the school talent contest from Simpsons Roasting on an open fire makes the most sense to me.

The series has always played with its time frame in fun ways like that. Would be a great ending

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
They need to reboot with a whole new team and approach. The current incarnation doesn't deserve to cap off old Simpsons though.