• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should the next Battlefield game take place in the future?

• Yes

Votes: 57 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 65 53.3%

• Total voters

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
What do you think? The last futuristic entry in the series, Battlefield 2142, came out way back in 2006.

Personally I'd love to see it happen. It was fun to go back in time for Battlefield 1 but I've had my fill of that sort of setting.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No, I don't trust that DICE would be able to deliver a balanced experience (2142 notwithstanding).

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
not a big BF guy but as somebody big on Advanced Warfare, Infinite warfare and blops3 i kinda hate everybody's all like nooo fuck all that future shit

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
I dunno. Most future shooters have been done to death. I'd honestly want something set in Desert Storm or the US invasion of Iraq

Smashed_Hulk

Jun 16, 2018
Please no. Just give us current era or within range of the current era BF. It just feels like it's been too long since we got BF4.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Yes, but like 2025 or 2030. I don't want jet packs and stuff, just concept weapons and modern weapons.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I'm happy with any setting as long as they ditch the war story style of campaign. The Last Tiger was the only good one out of both games and we had to wait till after release for it.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I feel like I get my "futuristic" fix from the Battlefront franchise now. I'd definitely like to see a return to modern/near-future settings. I think 4 was easily the best of "modern" Battlefield.

But I also wouldn't mind a 64-player Titanfall game with Battlefield-size maps and hella destructible buildings and environments.

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind that honestly.

Especially if they have space combat like the PS2 era Battlefront. In particular the one on the PSP. Having a battle on a mothership, a planet and in outer space at the same time in the same match was a really cool idea that I would love to see expanded on.

Oct 25, 2017
2142 still has the best mode of all time which is a bit harder to replicate without futuristic technology.
Next should be Bad Company 3 though.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be fine with modern time consdering they will also be doing a future shooter the year after (Battlefront)

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
No.
If this generation has shown me anything it's that I don't like ww2/futuristic settings as much as modern for online multiplayer.

Modern warfare and battlefield 4 are the only games that I've truly enjoyed this gen.

Battlefield needs to get back to modern era

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling they will be revisiting Bad Company, or maybe I just like to torture myself. I doubt if they did do a BC3 it would not live up to its namesake anyways.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Honestly, yeah. There should be a modern BF in a future setting. Like 100 years from now future. The gameplay possibilities are exciting.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care, so long as we get the handling texture that we had in BF4 - tanks felt like tanks, helicopters felt like helicopters, jets were like jets, mortars were like mortars, etc etc, while still allowing lots of gameplay customization. This was my favorite part about BF4; how not only things felt distinct, but a tank might have 15 different weapons with which you can really shape it to your ends.

All the vehicle/weapon types in 4? Awesome; distinct yet flexible. In one? Lumbering, clunky, and inflexible, on top of being a little too simplified. For the future, well...

My worry with "future tech" is homogenization - like, you might have a jet which can basically hover but also move like, well, a jet, and then EA simplifies the controls and makes all the weapons just, like, I dunno, super bombs which can do everything without compromise, so there goes the customization. Or how the weapons become lasers and then it's like Battlefront awfulness all over again.

For these reasons, I'd prefer near future, since in my experience far-future stuff is a little too samey to replicate this crunchiness that I most appreciate about the series.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
BF2142 was simply amazing. The game had this huge sniper rifle that fired some sort of energy bolt, you could take out an armored APC with one or two shots. I remember once I blew up an APC killing 5 - 7 dudes, it was soooo satisfying.

One of the best weapons in a FPS ever. Great game

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be down if it wasn't near future, but not far future either. Something like The Expanse timeframe would be cool.