• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should the Demon's Souls remaster/remake be named "Demon Souls"?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
The story is about a souls consuming demon. One demon possessing multiple souls, Demon's Souls.

Demon Souls alters the meaning of the title.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Absolutely. Either Demon Souls or Demons' Souls. Demon's Souls is a blatant affront to proper grammar and apostrophe usage and it's always driven me CRAZY.

Unless the game is about someone named Demon who has multiple souls, but I'm preeeeetty sure that's not the case. :P

It is literally the case. It is also proper grammar. Demon is a title, not a name, but still.

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Either Demon Souls or Demons' Souls. Demon's Souls is a blatant affront to proper grammar and apostrophe usage and it's always driven me CRAZY.

Unless the game is about someone named Demon who has multiple souls, but I'm preeeeetty sure that's not the case. :P
It's weird to me to have someone from GameXplain not get that Demon's Souls is about a Demon collecting literally millions of souls to level up but y'know

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Someone must have asked them about this in an interview at some point. People have a good explanation with the demon collecting multiple souls thing but you need receipts .

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
It is literally the case. It is also proper grammar. Demon is a title, not a name, but still.

Oh! Well hey, if that is actually what the game is about, then you're right, it is proper grammar. I haven't played it, but I've never heard of the game actually being about one particular demon's souls and/or the collecting thereof. I always assumed it was referring to the general concept of multiple demons' souls that the player must collect/level up throughout the game. Still comes off as an awkward name to me, but if what you're saying about the game is correct then yes, it is grammatically sound.

It's weird to me to have someone from GameXplain not get that Demon's Souls is about a Demon collecting literally millions of souls to level up but y'know

Why is it weird to you? Stop and think about what you're saying here. Do you expect every person from every big gaming YouTube channel (or just every person on the GX team) to have played and be intimately familiar with every game out there? That's more than a little unreasonable. :P Now, I'm about to blow your mind here...

Andre has never played a Mega Man game, not even the standard-setting ones like X or 2.
Derrick has barely played any rhythm games (as far as I'm aware).
Jon has never, or has barely, played a Kingdom Hearts game.
Tom almost exclusively plays indie games.
And I've barely played any of the Soulsborne games (just a bit of Dark Souls 1). They're not my thing.

And those aren't even the only examples of games each of us haven't played. My point is, we all have our own interests and foci when it comes to gaming. It's impossible for us all to play and be into everything, so we cover each other's blind spots as best we can. That's a lot more common than you might think!

As for Demon's Souls, I have always thought the game is about the general concept of the player collecting the souls of myriad demons throughout the game, thus "Demons' Souls" (plural). However I am apparently wrong about that, and the game is instead about a single titular demon collecting various souls, in which case the title -- while it still strikes me as a bit awkward -- is perfectly fine as it is.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it weird to you? Stop and think about what you're saying here. Do you expect every person from every big gaming YouTube channel (or just every person on the GX team) to have played and be intimately familiar with every game out there? That's more than a little unreasonable. :P Now, I'm about to blow your mind here...
Of course I don't expect that, lol.

But I also expect them to not explain things they haven't played or aren't familiar with. Which is an unrealistic expectation

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Of course I don't expect that, lol.

But I also expect them to not explain things they haven't played or aren't familiar with. Which is an unrealistic expectation

But I'm not explaining anything. I didn't come in saying "I'm right and all ya'll Soulsborne fans are wrong." As soon as someone corrected me about Demon's Souls indeed being about a single, titular Demon collecting many Souls, and not the general concept of collecting and leveling up various demons' souls, I said I had been mistaken and explained why. And now I know!

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
DARK SOULS ZERO
DARK SOULS - ORIGINS
DARK SOULS - REVELATIONS

I honestly thought it was Demon Souls for a long time. Demon's Souls [Demonzzouls] is annoying to say.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's weird to me that you made you up this strange narrative about the protagonist of Demon Soul's being a demon when you are explicitly a human adventurer with a soul entering the fog surrounding Bolteria who after their first death in the cursed land is tied to the Nexus until the Old One is put down. It's even weirder that you felt your own outre interpretation of the games lore gave you licence to have a go at someone over it. Weird all around I guess. If you wanted to try and be a pedant about it then surely you should be pushing for "Slayer of Demons Soul's"

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
It's weird to me that you made you up this strange narrative about the protagonist of Demon Soul's being a demon when you are explicitly a human adventurer with a soul entering the fog surrounding Bolteria who after their first death in the cursed land is tied to the Nexus until the Old One is put down. It's even weirder that you felt your own outre interpretation of the games lore gave you licence to have a go at someone over it. Weird all around I guess. If you wanted to try and be a pedant about it then surely you should be pushing for "Slayer of Demons Soul's"
Except that the demon title is a symbolic one. Lady Astraea is not literally a demon either -- you become the demon by doing what "Demons" do -- amassing souls, being greedy, invading others, becoming powerful.

That is like... Literally the entire point of Astraea and later, Allant's monologues during their boss fights, and why the last choice in the game is what it is. That isn't like, a wacky interpretation. The game literally says it to the player in plaintext. Most of the "Demons" in the game are just humans who got corrupted after amassing a large amount of souls.

Edit: Even if you want to say it isn't the PC, the titular Demon would be Allant, who has also amassed a large amount of souls that you are seeking to obtain in order to lull the Old One back to slumber.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except that the demon title is a symbolic one. Lady Astraea is not literally a demon either -- you become the demon by doing what "Demons" do -- amassing souls, being greedy, invading others, becoming powerful.

The demon title is at best unclear. It's applied to ex-humans but its also applied to things that were never human e.g. Storm King, Dragon God, etc. and the intro makes it clear that at least some of the demons were spawned from the fog. There is no "titular demon." The title is pluralised "Demon's Souls" i.e. the souls of demons which is central to the narrative. Whether the main character ends up as one or not is unclear and they certainly don't start the game as one. My main point was more that ones interpretation of unclear lore is a shaky platform to use to talk down to someone.

Mib

Nov 16, 2017
IIRC There's only one demon (the Old One). It's implied that everything else is either a servant (human who's accepted the role) or a construct (mythical being or idea made real by the Old One) created to gather souls. Demons like the Dragon God or Old Hero didn't exist before the Old One, but people believed they did, and that belief became the basis for the ones we fight. In the end, all the souls go back to the Old One regardless.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
The demon title is at best unclear. It's applied to ex-humans but its also applied to things that were never human e.g. Storm King, Dragon God, etc. and the intro makes it clear that at least some of the demons were spawned from the fog. There is no "titular demon." The title is pluralised "Demon's Souls" i.e. the souls of demons which is central to the narrative. Whether the main character ends up as one or not is unclear and they certainly don't start the game as one. My main point was more that ones interpretation of unclear lore is a shaky platform to use to talk down to someone.
I definitely think no one deserves to be dragged over such a small detail, I just think the game is pretty clear with it's semiotics, especially with regard to the status of Demonhood and how it relates to the players overall ludonarrative. That's all I was getting at.

IIRC There's only one demon (the Old One). It's implied that everything else is either a servant (human who's accepted the role) or a construct (mythical being or idea made real by the Old One) created to gather souls. Demons like the Dragon God or Old Hero didn't exist before the Old One, but people believed they did, and that belief became the basis for the ones we fight. In the end, all the souls go back to the Old One regardless.

Also this. This also ties into Allant and the Evil PC's overall arcs.

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Is there any precedent for a remake changing the name? This would be like if DK2 got remade and was called Diddy Kong's Quest.

I say leave it the way it is, I always knew what it was called but I always end up saying "Demon Souls". So whatever. I only bought a Ps3 for that game and am pretty sure to this day its the only Ps3 game I own.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
No, not because it's disrespecting the legacy or unnecessary but because I disagree with the assessment that it flows better. An 's followed by a word that starts with an s isn't something that's uncommon (i.e. "Sam's sack was full of games"), and demon makes more sense as a noun than an adjective.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
At least Demon's Souls makes me wonder about stuff like, is it a demon with multiple souls? Or maybe a devil has a legion of slaves and their souls belong to him?
I'm not saying it was intentional or meaningful,deep or whatever but it's better than something as sterile and basic as Demon Souls :/
Well now that i think about it,the Dark Souls title is kinda like that.