• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should Spider-Man Kill Osborn

• Yes

Votes: 115 75.2%
  • No

Votes: 38 24.8%

• Total voters

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
A recent conflict within Nick Spencer's run that occured was the issue of Spider-Man having to save the Green Goblin. Almost all of the other Spiders think he should just let him die but Peter still goes to save him. Osborn has caused him so much pain and not just him as he hurts others and people die because him. Spider-Man has a strong moral code and all but do you think he should kill Osborn or at the very least, let him die? I propose the latter a Osborn isn't worth saving and is an awful human being.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
479234a3e47ee90083f65f59e2933cdf.jpg

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think a guy defined by getting one of the most important people in his life killed through his own inaction would ever be fine taking a life?

Was Peter stung by a bee prior to this encounter?
JRJR art is a acquired taste

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
It's about inaction, not about killing. He vowed to never let his inaction take a life again. That includes the life of his greatest villain, if he can save it he will.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Although I suppose it helps that his villains keep getting themselves offed in some karmic comeuppance.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This really isn't as good a speech as whoever wrote it though it was.

I'm not even into the idea of Peter Parker killing the Goblin, but this is just a incredibly dumb/cliche way to justify it lol

ikr

"Kill my aunt, kill my girlfriend, kill everyone tangentially related to me! I still win, Norman!"

Vargas

Oct 27, 2017
This really isn't as good a speech as whoever wrote it though it was.

I'm not even into the idea of Peter Parker killing the Goblin, but this is just a incredibly dumb/cliche way to justify it lol

I really wish that characters would not bring up their aversion to killing in comics, it always comes off as cringey.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
The entire conceit of superheros is already nonsensical. Magical powers conferred by freak accidents upon people who put on colorful costumes and use them to fight crime, frequently committed by people who are similarly empowered? While also engaging in civilian life with a normal job, secret identity, etc.? The whole thing is silly, and often highly idealistic: the heroes have incredible power and choose to use it entirely altruistically, while the villains choose to use theirs in ways that are comically over-the-top. Robbing banks, holding schoolbuses hostage, poisoning the water supply?

The no-kill code is just one more layer of the parfait. I don't get how it's the part that everyone keeps getting caught up on. Y'all can suspend disbelief on everything else about Spider-Man, including the repeated resurrection, but the lack of murder is just too much?

To be clear: I quite enjoy comics. I think the parfait is delicious. I'm by no means saying comics are bad for the nonsense. The nonsense is a lot of fun!

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I feel like the end of the Red Goblin arc answered that pretty directly. "No one dies" is unrealistic but it'd definitely be crossing a line for Peter that would kill whatever nobility he has.

S29DA76.jpg
[
WitDgml.jpg

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been keeping up with Spider-man since Norman's resurrection but going off the panels on this page Peter Parker is a dumbass.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
t1VDYDy.jpg

Peter should beat Norman within an inch of his life or at least cripple him, or tear off pieces of his face like in Siege. There's a reason why Kaine Parker isn't in this event, he'd kill or lobotomize Norman. I still don't get why Silk and Jess are even in this event. Or Miles for that matter.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
t1VDYDy.jpg

Peter should beat Norman within an inch of his life or at least cripple him, or tear off pieces of his face like in Siege. There's a reason why Kaine Parker isn't in this event, he'd kill or lobotomize Norman. I still don't get why Silk and Jess are even in this event. Or Miles for that matter.
Kaine's a lot of fun because he lets writers do a Spiderman that accepts responsibility but has lost a lot of his naïveté and decides to do the hard decisions. He's a hero because he's a monster.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Kaine's a lot of fun because he lets writers do a Spiderman that accepts responsibility but has lost a lot of his naïveté and decides to do the hard decisions. He's a hero because he's a monster.
Well said, part of me is hoping he shows up with Ben at a crucial point to help Peter. They'e got a greater stake in this event given their history with Norman but I also don't want them getting killed off. It sucks that my boys are trapped in Vegas...

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
I feel like Spidey's no-kill rule is more justifiable than some other characters' because
  1. He's meant to act as a bright symbol that people aspire to be
  2. His villains are frequently redeemed
Of course, the fact that ongoing comics go on for so long mean that some of these villains have INSANE bodycounts if it's all canon and the redeemed ones flip back before too long, but there's something about Spidey not killing that just works for me with what he stands for. His strength of character is that he always goes out of his way to do the right thing; it would be so easy for him to give up or look out for himself, but he doesn't. It's what makes Spidey what he is, and what inspires his fans, allies and foes alike to look up to him.

I honestly don't know what the solution is to handling these kinds of morals with a series that will never actually end, it does start to feel farcical when these villains keep causing more and more damage, with more and more extravagant schemes because of the nature of the series structure. It does get to a point where it seems like killing off all the big bads becomes the morally superior option, which works against some characters' essence.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Well said, part of me is hoping he shows up with Ben at a crucial point to help Peter. They'e got a greater stake in this event given their history with Norman but I also don't want them getting killed off. It sucks that my boys are trapped in Vegas...
Can you keep me updated on them? Why are they in Vegas?

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Can you keep me updated on them? Why are they in Vegas?
After SpiderGeddon, Kaine and a newly sane Ben Reilly return to Vegas. I'm assuming Kaine is there since he was last seen keeping tabs on Ben before the SpiderGeddon event. Ben was last seen getting into a brief scuffle with Conan the Barbarian in Vegas, he's been doing right and cleaning up crime there. My head canon is that Kaine went to pick up Aracely from wherever Marvel dumped her and went to Mexico to help her find out about her power.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I have to say that I enjoyed the idea of the Green Goblin being a legacy that haunted Peter's life far more than the idea that Norman would just keep coming back. Harry as the Goblin vs. Peter was some formative stuff for me.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The problem with characters like Joker and Norman is that despite their escalation in violence/murder over the course of their runs, their "punishments" for committing these crimes is always "live to kill another day." They never get a satisfying comeuppance for the level of crime they commit in their respective worlds. The longer they stick around, the more absurd it seems that someone hasn't put a bullet in their heads, and it really starts to break the believability of the world when they slip through yet again.

I'm totally down with Batman and Spider-Man not killing. I think it's cool. I could probably understand Batman killing someone at some point. Dude has issues. But Peter Parker is the quintessential everyman. I like that he's a beacon of hope.

Joker and Norman are great characters, sure, but I'd be completely okay with them being well and truly killed off for good. In a series of comics in which there are infinite earths and multi-verses, it's not like the writers can't find ways to bring them back into the story after the "prime" version of the character is put down for good. Yes, these are classic, iconic characters, but I feel like, at this point in time, it cheapens the heroes when writers have to contort themselves into incredibly banal justifications for why "I just won't stoop to your level by killing you! It's letting you off easy!" Like, word to the wise, superhero: they're fucking sociopaths. They literally don't prescribe to the same level of empathy and compassion as you do, so they don't suffer from, say, the guilt and anguish from doing the horrible things they do, so at no point are they ever going to really get some kind of "karmic retribution," or eye-opening moment of clarity where they ask "Am I the baddie?"

At some point, the reader is like, "Dude, he murdered your wife/husband, child, grandparents, in-laws, your great uncle Jed and his prized horse, your dog, trampled on your flower garden, oh, and murdered hundreds, thousands of people with his latest scheme to poison the city's water supply because he thought it'd be funny or some shit. Just end his ass already!"

I think, considering that these iconic heroes are most certainly meant to be inspiring for young readers, showing them that doing the right thing isn't something to shy away from, and being a good person at your core is what matters, I don't want Peter or Bruce to directly kill Norman and Joker. Keep their morality intact, but stop blueballing us when it comes to these fuckers never getting their comeuppance. As if the real world isn't full of that shit already. Some character, sure, lock them up. Rhino, Kraven, Mad Hatter, Scarecrow, whatever, those guys can stay behind bars. But people like Norman and Joker? Either give them the chair, or have someone who were victimized by them take matters into their own hands and take them out for good.

Then, when you want to bring that villain back, dip into the countless parallel earths and drop him off in the 616 and Prime universes, and maybe have some fun with a new version of an iconic villain, perhaps establishing his own rivalry with Peter and Bruce, not retreading the same tired tension that's been simmering like some twisted episode of Moonlighting for 70 years. In the world I comics, I actually do feel like you can have your cake and eat it too when it comes to the "iconic" villain getting justice, but still able to continue stories with said character.

Hell, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker had a fantastic execution of that concept now that I think about it.

So I'm not so much on #teamspideyshouldkillnorman, but more #teamcanwejustoffthesepsychoticsociopathsalready

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I love that page with his reasoning. I don't know what call I'd make in his place, but I like to think I'd do the same. Or, more importantly, I'd like to think I'd feel the same way as Peter.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Wouldn't he just come back from hell stronger?
Norman has a piece of Carnage inside him. The writers can now asspull his resurrection any way they want.
Me, I like Norman as a scheming piece of human shit and not unhinged murdering psychopath. In the Marvel universe, you already have Dario Agger as the super powered CEO, Fisk as the crook in office but you don't have anyone else as the villain in a three piece suit except for Norman. They should keep him around. They can retire the Green Goblin though.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
t1VDYDy.jpg

did Kaine just fucking lobotomized Carnage there? O_o

I love Kaine.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I can see the aversion to making your superhero act as judge, jury and executioner. That's what the police is for, after all.

But there's a simple solution: apprehend the supervillain, and let the justice system give them the death sentence. If they escape and try to avoid execution, then the hero could justifiably track them down and kill them.
Would feel morally a lot clearer to me, at least in a country that is already fine with the death penality.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
As with every super villain who just gets jailed/beaten only to be free again which leads to a never-ending cycle of people dying - YES. He should kill him.
Like Batman should kill every one of his villains instead of throwing them to Arkham for 20 minutes.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Spider-man kinda already did. The editors just brought him back to life just so they could end the Clone saga in a "high note". As it was, killing Norman wasn't as gratifying as it should be nor did it stopped 'Goblin'-related crimes as Harry took the mantle afterwards . . . . due to him witnessing the Spidey-Goblin fight and its conclusion.

amazing-spider-man-122-4.jpg