• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With Sony soon to release Horizon: Zero Dawn on PC, various people has indicated that this is a smart strategy, as the game release will entice PC players to buy a PS5 for Horizon 2.

With that, I think Sony should consider utilizing the same strategy for R&C Rift Apart, and Sackboy: A Big Adventure: releasing the older LBP games and R&C games on PC, and entice the PC players to buy a PS5. Want more Sackboy? Buy a PS5. Want more R&C? Buy a PS5. Those older games ain't going to sell new Playstation consoles anymore, so releasing them onto PC will rack in more money for Sony while build up the interest for Sackboy and R&C.

Its a win-win-win situation. The fanbase grow, Sony gets more sales from PC players, PC players get to play some R&C and LBP games, and also more hardware sales for the PS5 from the PC players.

Oct 25, 2017
I... don't know if I actually buy this notion that PC release of old games drums up interest in sequels?

Like, the people who will primarily be buying Horizon on PC are people who held off on buying a PS4 for years, even when the console and games themselves became dirt cheap. You're telling me these people are gonna fall in love with Horizon so much are gonna now drop $500 for console and $60 for game, plus shit like PS+?

Sony is releasing games on PC because it's an untapped market of millions of users that doesn't really compete with their console business. It's not about drumming up interest in PS5, the amount of people who would be sold on a PS5 like this are minimal. It's about making easy money from your legacy content.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
I... don't know if I actually buy this notion that PC release of old games drums up interest in sequels?

Like, the people who will primarily be buying Horizon on PC are people who held off on buying a PS4 for years, even when the console and games themselves became dirt cheap. You're telling me these people are gonna fall in love with Horizon so much are gonna now drop $500 for console and $60 for game, plus shit like PS+?
I agree, i think people are reading too much into this. With Death Stranding on PC, it was probably easy to also port Horizon.

i think we will see more Sony gameson PC if it does well, but I can't see them following Xbox's model.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Only 1 current gen R&C so not a whole lot of options there, as I doubt they go back and redo the PS2/PS3 R&Cs. Though I'd love if they did. Doubt they'd bother with LBP either, when they can do Dreams instead.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Platform wars, history of similar behaviour
Why not, Sony gets to make money and those PC players can have some fun games for once.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
No, because they didn't port Bloodborne and Dreams yet. Port these first, goddammit.

Oct 27, 2017
They should release ALL older exclusives EVERYWHERE. All console manufacturers are leaving money on the table by not doing this. Maybe release 3 years after original release if they're so worried about what it means for the purchase of their console.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Sony is releasing games on PC because it's an untapped market of millions of users that doesn't really compete with their console business. It's not about drumming up interest in PS5, the amount of people who would be sold on a PS5 like this are minimal. It's about making easy money from your legacy content.

That's a theory that many people has come up. So I was thinking, why not use that strategy on other game Playstation game series too?

COCONUT

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
If the strategy is "sell the old ones to the PC player for them to buy PS5 and the new ones" at least on PC is not going to work, at least for a majority. It's a diferente kind of community.

Oct 27, 2017
The answer is "Yes", and the reason is "because they shouldn't leave money on the table by arbitrarily keeping their games locked to a single platform".

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
With Sony soon to release Horizon: Zero Dawn on PC, various people has indicated that this is a smart strategy, as the game release will entice PC players to buy a PS5 for Horizon 2.

That's not going to happen though is it? The PS4 has been available cheaply for years now, if someone has held off on buying one for an entire generation then some late ports aren't going to convince the same audience to buy a $500 console.

These ports should be seen as an alternative revenue stream, just like Microsoft's Steam releases. They're not going to sell anyone a PS5.

Oct 29, 2017
I think PC users can play a good number or Ratchet and Clank games on PSNow, that's how I'm currently playing the older titles.

But sure, why not.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
User banned (1 month): Platform wars. Prior bans for the same.
I agree, i think people are reading too much into this. With Death Stranding on PC, it was probably easy to also port Horizon.

i think we will see more Sony gameson PC if it does well, but I can't see them following Xbox's model.

It's mostly PS diehards trying to convince themselves that PC isn't the future.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
LittleBigPlanet… that's doing nothing to promote a game that on PS5 is titled… "Sackboy".

I think Sony is only going to be publishing the games that have the potential to be absolutely huge on PC.

Dec 4, 2019
They can port older games (PS1,PS2, PS3) to PC/PS4/PS5 with minor upgrades. And release a PS Now service for PC where you can download titles. Not to convert players, but to grow its PS Now library fast. Porting Playstation designed games would require release on multiple new hardware to eliminate risk. Porting highly rated and/or high selling games should be a focus for said service.

Horizon was probably released on PC because they already spend money on porting the engine to PC for Death Stranding. Both are even releasing a month apart on PC. Death Stranding was a planned PC release from announcement. Horizon's PC port releasing shortly after is telling that the porting was easy.

Destroyer

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
Yeah, I agree, although I doubt they will and Idk if LBP3 will sell Sackboy's Adventure or whatever it's called since that's such a different game.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Just have Dreams on PC. Being confined to PS4 and PS5 is a crime against humanity.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never bought the theory it's a sequel / promotion thing. Games like Horizon aren't an unknown quality to PC players.

I'm wagering it's a China/ Asia thing. Lot of money to be made there, and console platform owners have only had modest success, and Sony has been trying to make inroads there for a while.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I just want to play PS3 games outside of PS3. PC and/or PS5, just get them out of there! XD

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018

This make a lot more sense.

I just find it really odd how many people have never played a PlayStation, Nintendo, Microsoft games because they refuse to buy the hardware and ultimately the software. I loved Halo and saved enough to buy the console and played a lot of games I never got to play. I bought a Switch for Mario and enjoying the crap out of Animal Crossing. Picking up the console helped me branch out and enjoy games I would never consider or system I would support in future.

I feel a lot of people are stuck in a loyalty bubble, and can be one track minded with the wanting the product to be given to them without supporting the original product (this thought does not apply to everyone).

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

It's easier to held off a game for years if you never play it or even have interest in it. But if you play it on pc and end up really liking it, would you really wait for another 3-4 years to play a sequel of a game you really like

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the PC market being receptive to LBP, so I don't think it will drive PS5 sales. Ratchet and Clznk might, so maybe it would be a better choice to consider.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love a big collection of the R&C games to be on PC. There are so many it's hard to track down. Seriously, all of them.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Porting PlayStation games as a means to entice PC gamers to buy new PlayStation hardware is a poor business strategy unless you incentivise them to invest almost wholesale into the PlayStation ecosystem (third party titles, subscription services, etc), effectively abandoning PC as their primary or preferred gaming platform. And that is not going to happen with exception to an extraordinarily small and likely measurably insignificant cohort.

While Sony's precise business strategy is impossible to know, the value of PC gamers buying PlayStation hardware is directly proportional to the net revenue generated from the hardware in of itself. At launch this is usually extremely low due to the manufacturing costs being at their highest, sometimes so high the hardware will be sold at a loss. Losses are recouped through software sales (first and third party) and long term strategy of building a sustainable ecosystem.

What we are likely seeing with these ports, and the fundamental reason to port at all, is the same reasoning Microsoft uses for bringing Xbox exclusives to the PC platform; the software revenue generated from an audience of new customers who did not and will not buy the hardware is significantly greater than the combined software and hardware revenue generated from customers who will and do buy the hardware for exclusives but refuse to invest in the ecosystem of regular software purchases and subscription services.

Or, to measure out your groups;
• Group A: Wants to play PlayStation exclusive software, but will never buy the hardware to do so as PC is their preferred platform.
• Group B: Wants to play PlayStation exclusive software, and will buy the hardware to do so, but will not play anything other than exclusives nor subscribe to services as PC is their preferred platform.
• Group C: Wants to play PlayStation exclusive software, and will buy the hardware to do so, in addition to using PlayStation as their preferred platform for all software, purchasing a lot of third party software for the hardware in addition to subscribing to services.

• Group C is your bread and butter. Group C is your sustainable business. They are your core customers. They bring in a large volume of sustainable money, primarily because they buy a lot of games for the hardware and subscribe to services. Sony get a cut of everything, including third party sales.
• Group A by and large is never, ever, forever going to become Group C no matter how hard Sony try. A very small cohort of Group C will, but a vast, overwhelming majority will not. PC is not a console, and the reasons people prefer the platform and ecosystem are not comparable to Xbox or PlayStation.
• Group B already exists, but their are a limited source of revenue. They buy the hardware, and they buy the software, but because of their set requirements they only buy 2 - 3 games per year (if that, as it depends on the appeal of exclusives). They are a poor source of sustainable revenue and will not become Group C.

Sony and Microsoft are thus challenged with the conundrum;
• Group B and Group C make up the current business model, bringing in X revenue per fiscal year. Group C makes up a vast majority of this revenue.
• Group B revenue is made up of Ya and Yb. Ya is software sales, Yb is a once off hardware sale. Ya is the most valuable of these two, by far.
• Group A has the potential to add Z revenue to the fiscal year through software sales, but currently brings in nothing as they have no access to software.
• In porting games Sony/Microsoft have the following situation; Group B will stop buying hardware (Yb), but will continue to buy software (Ya). They will also gain revenue from Group A, bringing in Z revenue from software sales.
• And so the question must be asked; is the potential revenue of Z greater or lesser than the loss of revenue generated by Yb (hardware), and how susceptible is Group C to becoming Group A.

The answer is assumed are;
• Potential Z revenue from Group A is significantly greater than the loss of revenue from Group B's Yb. Resulting in an increased total revenue from the two groups. In short: Z + Ya >>> Ya + Yb
• Little evidence exists to suggest that any significant cohort of Group C will transition to Group A, due the unappealing ecosystem of Group A's hardware. PCs largely do not offer the same service or device appeal as consoles. For Sony, their director competitor in this space is Microsoft, not PCs.
• For this exact same reason, Group B is extremely difficult to transition to Group C. They are not going to enter the same sustainable revenue stream. Group A most definitely will not.

If Microsoft continue this approach, it would suggest they have excellent internal data that suggests the above. It suggests that Group C will continue to buy Xbox, the exclusives, the third parties, the indies, and subscribe to GamePass and online and whatever else. And that the impact of also providing for Group A actually has negligible impact on revenue from Group C, and instead results in greater revenue as a whole.

I don't necessarily think Sony will follow the exact same model, but this is the most sensible reasoning for "why do they port to PC". More than trying to entice people to buy PlayStation 5 hardware they'll barely use.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Porting PlayStation games as a means to entice PC gamers to buy new PlayStation hardware is a poor business strategy unless you incentivise them to invest almost wholesale into the PlayStation ecosystem (third party titles, subscription services, etc), effectively abandoning PC as their primary or preferred gaming platform. And that is not going to happen with exception to an extraordinarily small and likely measurably insignificant cohort.

While Sony's precise business strategy is impossible to know, the value of PC gamers buying PlayStation hardware is directly proportional to the net revenue generated from the hardware in of itself. At launch this is usually extremely low due to the manufacturing costs being at their highest, sometimes so high the hardware will be sold at a loss. Losses are recouped through software sales (first and third party) and long term strategy of building a sustainable ecosystem.

What we are likely seeing with these ports, and the fundamental reason to port at all, is the same reasoning Microsoft uses for bringing Xbox exclusives to the PC platform; the software revenue generated from an audience of new customers who did not and will not buy the hardware is significantly greater than the combined software and hardware revenue generated from customers who will and do buy the hardware for exclusives but refuse to invest in the ecosystem of regular software purchases and subscription services.

Or, to measure out your groups;
• Group A: Wants to play PlayStation exclusive software, but will never buy the hardware to do so as PC is their preferred platform.
• Group B: Wants to play PlayStation exclusive software, and will buy the hardware to do so, but will not play anything other than exclusives nor subscribe to services as PC is their preferred platform.
• Group C: Wants to play PlayStation exclusive software, and will buy the hardware to do so, in addition to using PlayStation as their preferred platform for all software, purchasing a lot of third party software for the hardware in addition to subscribing to services.

• Group C is your bread and butter. Group C is your sustainable business. They are your core customers. They bring in a large volume of sustainable money, primarily because they buy a lot of games for the hardware and subscribe to services. Sony get a cut of everything, including third party sales.
• Group A by and large is never, ever, forever going to become Group C no matter how hard Sony try. A very small cohort of Group C will, but a vast, overwhelming majority will not. PC is not a console, and the reasons people prefer the platform and ecosystem are not comparable to Xbox or PlayStation.
• Group B already exists, but their are a limited source of revenue. They buy the hardware, and they buy the software, but because of their set requirements they only buy 2 - 3 games per year (if that, as it depends on the appeal of exclusives). They are a poor source of sustainable revenue and will not become Group C.

Sony and Microsoft are thus challenged with the conundrum;
• Group B and Group C make up the current business model, bringing in X revenue per fiscal year. Group C makes up a vast majority of this revenue.
• Group B revenue is made up of Ya and Yb. Ya is software sales, Yb is a once off hardware sale. Ya is the most valuable of these two, by far.
• Group A has the potential to add Z revenue to the fiscal year through software sales, but currently brings in nothing as they have no access to software.
• In porting games Sony/Microsoft have the following situation; Group B will stop buying hardware (Yb), but will continue to buy software (Ya). They will also gain revenue from Group A, bringing in Z revenue from software sales.
• And so the question must be asked; is the potential revenue of Z greater or lesser than the loss of revenue generated by Yb (hardware), and how susceptible is Group C to becoming Group A.

The answer is assumed are;
• Potential Z revenue from Group A is significantly greater than the loss of revenue from Group B's Yb. Resulting in an increased total revenue from the two groups. In short: Z + Ya >>> Ya + Yb
• Little evidence exists to suggest that any significant cohort of Group C will transition to Group A, due the unappealing ecosystem of Group A's hardware. PCs largely do not offer the same service or device appeal as consoles. For Sony, their director competitor in this space is Microsoft, not PCs.
• For this exact same reason, Group B is extremely difficult to transition to Group C. They are not going to enter the same sustainable revenue stream. Group A most definitely will not.

If Microsoft continue this approach, it would suggest they have excellent internal data that suggests the above. It suggests that Group C will continue to buy Xbox, the exclusives, the third parties, the indies, and subscribe to GamePass and online and whatever else. And that the impact of also providing for Group A actually has negligible impact on revenue from Group C, and instead results in greater revenue as a whole.

I don't necessarily think Sony will follow the exact same model, but this is the most sensible reasoning for "why do they port to PC". More than trying to entice people to buy PlayStation 5 hardware they'll barely use.

Really appreciate how logically you approach this.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Games with a creative component like LBP, Super Mario Maker, Halo are almost always a better fit on PC, but it comes down to the company's goals and policies whether or not they'll release a port (probably no, never, guaranteed regarding the 3 examples)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I'm in this camp.

These PC ports aren't an elaborate marketing campaign for the PS5. They're a way of getting more revenue out of Sony games that've presumably slowed down in sales on PS4 at this point. They'll make Sony tons from PC players.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Pc ports of sony games s nothing but a way to get some more cash on older games. I doubt many pc gamers ll run to buy ps5 for horizon 2 if they didnt plan to do it already.

Also lets wait to see how well horizon sells on pc before disscusing future sony moves.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Nah they're too old to really set the sales charts on fire personally. Plus PC ports won't make people buy the PS5, all it does is give Sony extra sales once they've already reaped all the benefits of exclusivity. Some of the better PS4 games like Naughty Dog games, God of War and Spiderman are probably the only ones it'd be worth bringing across.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
This make a lot more sense.

I just find it really odd how many people have never played a PlayStation, Nintendo, Microsoft games because they refuse to buy the hardware and ultimately the software.
I'll give you a few reasons:
  • I have usually manage to buy pre-orders at the very least -25-30% discount of MRSP. Some games like FM I have found at -40% discount. Show me your console games with that much discount at pre-order
  • Why do i ahve to play a susbcription to play online?
  • why i can't use my fav controller (xbox one) on switch/ ps4?
  • Why can't I play some PS4 titles on a PS2-3 such as stardew valley?
  • why can't I mod games easily?
  • Why is the (generally speaking) refund policy of console manufactures shit?
  • why is the online infrastructure of consoles very poor? like why are cloud saving stuck behind a paywall, rarely do games have dedicated servers and isntead it is p2p conections
  • Why are there no bundles on consoles? (not talking about humble stuff but the complete your colelction type of bundles from steam)
  • Why am I forced to play with the performance that devs choose? Many devs, specially in AAA make very unsatisfying decisions by focusing on graphics at all costs. It is not fun playing a shooter and the FPS is dripping bellow 20 or less. If i'm going to ahve shittty performance like that either allow me to customize or give me a warning that this game shouldn't be played in this hardware
  • Why can't i re-use parts of the console for the next generation? for example let say i have a PS4 and intended to get a PS5. Why can't i re-use PSU,case, disc drive, HDD,etc. to save money?
  • very little BC. If you bought for example PS1 or N64 games these are now "trash" because unless you keep those consoles you can't play them anymore. Am i suposed to have dozens of boxes conected to my PC to play the games i want
  • Remasters/remakes force you to re-buy a game. In PC when I play an old game the new hardware can push the graphcis above what it released, specially if i modded. On console BC only allows to replay the game at the quality it launched years ago.
Alongside the above am I suposed to waste 300-400€ x3 every generation to play a few exclusives? instead of using the PC that costs 300-400€ to match consoles AND not deal with any of the above?

Oct 28, 2017
Regarding the premise that this might entice PC users into buying a PS5, this actually has the complete opposite effect for me, I dropped xbox for the same reason when they started releasing their games on PC, if Sony go the same way I will see no reason to grab a PS5/6 either, I have quite a lot of patience, if I think for example The Last of II will come out on PC in a few years time I'll wait it out.

Oct 30, 2017

With that, I think Sony should consider utilizing the same strategy for R&C Rift Apart, and Sackboy: A Big Adventure: releasing the older LBP games and R&C games on PC, and entice the PC players to buy a PS5. Want more Sackboy? Buy a PS5. Want more R&C? Buy a PS5. Those older games ain't going to sell new Playstation consoles anymore, so releasing them onto PC will rack in more money for Sony while build up the interest for Sackboy and R&C.

Its a win-win-win situation. The fanbase grow, Sony gets more sales from PC players, PC players get to play some R&C and LBP games, and also more hardware sales for the PS5 from the PC players.

100% yes for both. Also please rerelease them on PS4/5.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would love to play through the R&C games again on PC but I doubt it'll happen. They'll probably release the hd remaster on psn for ps5 or something though.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they should why not but if they do bring old R&C games to PC they should bring the future games to PS4/PS5 as well since playing them on psnow is horrid