• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If they wanted to collab with Bluepoint, it would have been done already (at least once).
I'm not talking about Microsoft and Nintendo, I'm talking about people that don't own Playstations.

Bluepoint has worked with studios other than Sony in the past. Sony purchasing them would either keep that from happening again, or keep those projects only on Sony platforms, which is the point I'm getting at as to why it's ridiculous to sit there and hope that other people get excluded from playing games.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
sure but you need both. nobody buys teams. The business value simply isn't there when talking about Bluepoint.
MS didnt buy mojang @2.5bn for their team, they bought it for Minecraft.
SIE bought Media Molecule after one game (Little Big Planet). By the time they released LBP2, SIE had already acquired Mm. IPs are important but not vital.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I'm not talking about Microsoft and Nintendo, I'm talking about people that don't own Playstations.

Bluepoint has worked with studios other than Sony in the past. Sony purchasing them would either keep that from happening again, or keep those projects only on Sony platforms, which is the point I'm getting at as to why it's ridiculous to sit there and hope that other people get excluded from playing games.
I know but what I meant also applies to 3rd party publishers.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
If Bluepoint needs more funding, and offers/projects, maybe. If Bluepoint are doing well and are getting offers to make games from other publishers, maybe no.

If they are small and can't make multiplatform games without staggering releases I guess they won't make games for PC or Xbox any time soon. I'd like to see how they'd do with PC. Though if Sony buys them, maybe they'd be able to make new games of their own if they want sooner.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
My expectation is still that they'll either make BB2 or DS2. From isnt coming back to either outside maybe an advisory role unless Elden ring or another title they're making hurts them

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
I'm shocked this didn't happen a long time ago. I don't think Bluepoint has much to worry about, though. Bluepoint seems content and profitable, and it doesn't look like they will stop supporting Sony anytime soon.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
They should be bought and expanded to multiple teams. That god of war trilogy ain't going to get remade by itself.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
My expectation is still that they'll either make BB2 or DS2. From isnt coming back to either outside maybe an advisory role unless Elden ring or another title they're making hurts them
If Demon's Souls turns out well, I'd be okay with them trying this, but I'd want to see their level design chops first before being excited. They could always finish up that Sixth Archstone, either as part of the remake or as DLC for the remake, to give it a whirl.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Meh. They don't need an in-house port studio when they can just keep doing contracts the way they are.

If they develop a new IP and it takes off, that's another story, but there's no value to Sony in assuming all the risk for a company that only makes ports.

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
If Sony doesn't then Microsoft absolutely should. They're obviously extremely talented. Better put a ring on it Sony.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Sony will probably only acquire Bluepoint once some other corporation comes sniffing around. This is what I suspect happened with Insomniac, with Microsoft or Facebook making Sony sweat by approaching Ted Price with offers and essentially forcing their hand. Other than that, if Bluepoint are going to continue making exclusives for PlayStation then there doesn't seem to be much incentive for Sony to pony up the extra cash to own them.

I will say though that Bluepoint are an extremely talented studio and responsible for my favourite remaster thus far - Gravity Rush. They made that game shine all the more on the PS4.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
It's invetiable, all that needs to happens is for Demon Souls to outperform Sony's expectations.

They should stay independent. Dont need more more companies under larger umbrellas.

Gaming companies come and go like the wind, there's so many of them that it's impossible to monopolise them due to the nature of the industry.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
From Sony's perspective maybe, but from a consumer's perspective I'd rather Bluepoint have the flexibility to make what they want.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Yeah, sony definitely has enough gems that could use the remake treatment so it could be very beneficial.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Leaving aside whether they should be acquired or not in the first place, as Sony has said that they are looking to grow Playstation Studios and as BluePoint has worked exclusively with Sony for years now, I think the acquisition is pretty much a lock if Demon's Souls turns out great. Same could go for Housemarque with Returnal I guess.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes but for god's sake let them have their chance to do a new IP, make a new team or something.
A ''remake machine'' sounds cool and I have no doubt that Bluepoint would be ok with that, but they are technical wizards and I need to see something truly new coming from them.

But here's a question:. How much of the technical wizardry is because they do remakes? They don't really have to worry about anything else because all the game design is already done. At the very least it seems it would vastly increase the time it takes them to create a game.

Shads

Jun 6, 2020
Yes, absolutely. Fits Sony's other teams and can be trusted with handling their IPs beautifully with Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Shadow of the Colossus, and Demon's Souls. I think with Sony's budget, they can finally work on some original IP that meets Sony's AAA standards.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Of course, and this goes not only for Sony.

Bluepoint devs are crazy competent, any publisher would be lucky to have them.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
But here's a question:. How much of the technical wizardry is because they do remakes? They don't really have to worry about anything else because all the game design is already done. At the very least it seems it would vastly increase the time it takes them to create a game.
I don't know, having no needs to bother in creating the lore is for sure a facilitator, but there too much shit to do when recreating a full game in (a lot of) new technology.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda wild that they haven't already and it'd be extra awkward if they hesitated and someone else swooped in and picked them up.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I think Sony might do (they should), but BP next game will be their original IP, and not a remake. Studio directors have said that employees want to create something of their own in the near future.

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018
sure but you need both. nobody buys teams. The business value simply isn't there when talking about Bluepoint.
MS didnt buy mojang @2.5bn for their team, they bought it for Minecraft.
They prove their value. They dont have IPs but they are strong team which make great remasters/remakes.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
User Warned: Platform Waring
Is pretty funny how a lot of people are like "yeah Sony should buy them" yet when you put any opinion of a developer making an exclusive game with either Nintendo/Microsoft or being brought by them they go "why would you want to punish people without X console or PC" like it's so obvious it's rooted in fanboyism for Sony

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should, and then set them loose on a Soul Reaver remake, then Nightmare Creatures.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be absolutely thrilled. I'm so torn between wanting to see what they'd do if they made their own game, vs turning them loose on remaking more of Sony's classic catalog. God... I can only dream what they'd do with a remade Twisted Metal 2.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It completely depends on what BP wants. If DeS becomes critical and commercial success, their elevated profile would definitely bump up the asking price for the studio or/and may usher in newer opportunities for more remake/remasters from other pubs. Whatever is in the best long term interests of BP, they should do.

BDino BCrisis 2 or Dino SCrisis 2? Yea, me thinks that may yet happen.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
If they could, I think it would be amazing.

I know they've talked about the fact that they're sizing up. My dream would be, after DS, to collaborate with Sony Japan again to make a Bloodborne sequel, and at the same time, remaster something else (people seem to bring up Metal Gear Solid a whole lot).