• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
They do seem to have a close relationship, but if they do, I would like to see Bluepoint try their hand at their own original IPs rather than remaking and remastering games. The work they do is fantastic, and the old adage is to stick to what you're good at, but it'd be nice to see them branch out.
They want to... one day. Make an original IP of their own.
How did bluepoint become so big anyway

i don't remember them before like the uncharted game
They release remasters of God of War 1+2, Ico+SotC and MGS 2+3+Peace Walker in the spawn of 2 years. 7 games across 3 different collections with 2 different publishers. They are technically efficient and technical wizards.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry what was the amazing original IP that led them to buy insomniac?
are you joking?
Sony bought insomniac for Ratchet and Clank and Spiderman after they gave a game to Microsoft, and the result is there as it being one of the prominent IP's shown around the PS5.

Insomniac has a track record of making solid games based on their own created IP's all the way back from the PS1 era and them being willing to shop around and having no qualms to go with Microsoft is one of the reasons Sony was looking to acquire insomniac

Bluepoint for all their worth have yet to develop an IP of their own future proofing their studio. They need an IP they developed from scratch that adds more value to their company, and heck maybe even doing a few remakes for Microsoft

Its the same with jobs, only when people notice you are looking around at other companies are they usually able to see your value and are willing to meet your demands.

Vega

Oct 28, 2017
Bluepoint its currently on a very safe position. They dont need to take risks developing a new IP, which is costly and can easily bomb. However, It will be a great addition to the PS Studios family.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Bluepoint doesn't have any assets, IP, or intrinsic value beyond people and good industry relationships. Probably not in their interest either since they can create remakes or remasters for any company that seems them out. Much better prospect on the revenue front than being tied up with Sony

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all use popping the question like it's a cute personal relationship and not a business transaction and it's real strange. There are a billion different variables that would need to come together and it obviously needs to make sense for Bluepoint, too.

They are a great team but I'd imagine Bluepoint needs to do more than remasters. I'm not taking anything away from the fantastic work they do, but as a team their biggest successes are working with established frameworks.

Last edited:

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
They do seem to have a close relationship, but if they do, I would like to see Bluepoint try their hand at their own original IPs rather than remaking and remastering games. The work they do is fantastic, and the old adage is to stick to what you're good at, but it'd be nice to see them branch out.
Well this would require a huge expansion. What would make sense is for them to try their luck on a smaller title first and then expanding but this might impose a huge risk being independent.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
Y'all use popping the question like it's a cute personal relationship and not a business transaction and it's real strange. There are a billion different variables that would need to come together and it's obviously need to make sense for Bluepoint, too.

They are a great team but I'd imagine Bluepoint needs to do more than remasters. I'm not taking anything away from the fantastic work they do, but as a team their biggest successes are working with established frameworks.

thank you...

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
They don't have anything significant left to remake do they?

May be a good studio to buy to do expanded marvel game universe

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all use popping the question like it's a cute personal relationship and not a business transaction and it's real strange. There are a billion different variables that would need to come together and it's obviously need to make sense for Bluepoint, too.

This.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully bluepoint wants to stay independent and since I don't own Sony stock I have no reason to want them to be exclusive.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I think if Demon's Souls does well, it's likely. Especially with Demon's Souls being a marquee title for the PS5. I can't imagine these full graphical remakes are cheap to make, and keeping that first party budget would probably be nice.

I'm more curious if they're going to keep doing remakes or if they're going to work on new IPs next. I know they've expressed interest in doing original stuff, but they're so damn good at the Remakes too. It seems like remakes are their bread and butter.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
They should, and if they're really smart they'll license IPs from 3rd party publishers for Bluepoint to remake, should they desire to continue with remakes. If not then they could be set up to create their own IPs, I suppose.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Until a few days ago I honestly thought Bluepoint was already a part of PlayStation Studios. Honestly it just makes sense.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony has been around long enough that they could use a studio that does nothing but remake old games for them. They have tons of untouched IP for the PS5 generation, and then for PS6 it would be prime time to start remaking games like PS3 generation games like Uncharted 1, Infamous, Socom, etc.

I think Bluepoint has value even if only for remaking games.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
are you joking?
Sony bought insomniac for Ratchet and Clank and Spiderman after they gave a game to Microsoft, and the result is there as it being one of the prominent IP's shown around the PS5.

Insomniac has a track record of making solid games based on their own created IP's all the way back from the PS1 era and them being willing to shop around and having no qualms to go with Microsoft is one of the reasons Sony was looking to acquire insomniac

Bluepoint for all their worth have yet to develop an IP of their own future proofing their studio. They need an IP they developed from scratch that adds more value to their company, and heck maybe even doing a few remakes for Microsoft

Its the same with jobs, only when people notice you are looking around at other companies are they usually able to see your value and are willing to meet your demands.
Technically, SIE already owned Ratchet but they don't own Spider-Man, neither does Insomniac.
I'm not sure if it would be worth it
1: they have no IP of real value so their value is entirely in the people who do the great work.

2. people can leave, especially such a small team
SIE already said before they are not just looking at IPs when thinking about acquisitions. The team/studio's values is first and foremost.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Depends on if they are able to create their own IPs too. So far I only know them for their remasters.
I don't think they have to make their own IPs if they can continue being the best remaster/remake developers. That's pretty much their MO so far. There are a LOT of great games people would rather play again with new coat of paint over a potential New IP that may or may not succeed.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Sony's own back catalogue of IP doesn't have a lot that is really "worth" remaking so I'd rather they and whatever they make are available wherever possible

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Technically, SIE already owned Ratchet but they don't own Spider-Man, neither does Insomniac.

SIE already said before they are not just looking at IPs when thinking about acquisitions. The team/studio's values is first and foremost.
It makes it difficult to place a value on something that is somewhat transient

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what purpose acquiring Bluepoint would serve.

Like, why are so many of y'all excited to shut out other platform owners from potential future projects of theirs?

Supernova

Oct 10, 2018
Yes, imo Playstation has a treasure trove of IP, and if they add Bluepoint to the family they would finally have a dedicated first party studio to be able to develop remakes and monetize their dormant IP for the next gen of gaming with PS5. It's a natural addition to the fold and from a business standpoint would make sense so that the other first party devs could continue to explore making new IP and experiences while Bluepoint focuses on introducing a new generation of gamers to some of Sony's classic IP's.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
That was not their original IP, the post i replied to originally said Sony only liked to buy studios that had their own valuable original IP
Not really sure what they'd base that on. Almost all the studios they've bought Sony already owned the valuable I.P, can only think of Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool who'd be the exception. Insomniac make a lot of valuable I.P for Sony, that's worth a lot too.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
They should, but I kinda hope they don't. If Bluepoint is going to remain a remaster/remake studio, there's only so many Sony IPs that are worth revisiting in that way.

I'd rather Bluepoint have the freedom to work with any publisher to remake whatever they want.

Tigerfan2019

Jun 14, 2020
are you joking?

Sony was trying to buy Insomniac for years but Ted wanted to stay independent.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Get Bluepoint, Housemarque, mayyybe Arc-System Works, then close up the checkbook for a loooong time.

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia
I think they should and they should be a strict remaster studio. For PS5 focus on some of the best games from PS1-PS3 and release every other year. Or even bump their employees and make it every 18 months.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I don't understand what purpose acquiring Bluepoint would serve.

Like, why are so many of y'all excited to shut out other platform owners from potential future projects of theirs?
If they wanted to collab with Bluepoint, it would have been done already (at least once).

What would be the benefit for us users if Sony buys Bluepoint?
Guaranteeing Bluepoint's future? There are more risks being independent in this day and age than being acquired. Only a few AAA studios managed to be commercially successful while being independent.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

sure but you need both. nobody buys teams. The business value simply isn't there when talking about Bluepoint.
MS didnt buy mojang @2.5bn for their team, they bought it for Minecraft.