• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
With backwards compatibility being a thing I don't see a reason to drop support for the ability for developers to release on PS4 and Xbox One. Indie developers that don't need the extra power should be able to target these consoles for as long as they want and next-gen owners can buy the games and have them work in backwards compatibility mode. It makes for less work on the dev end of things and allows for PS4 and Xbox One owners access to these games for a long time to come. What says you Era?

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New tech comes along and old tech eventually needs to be phased out, it's how we move forward.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
With backwards compatibility being a thing I don't see a reason to drop support for the ability for developers to release on PS4 and Xbox One. Indie developers that don't need the extra power should be able to target these consoles for as long as they want and next-gen owners can buy the games and have them work in backwards compatibility mode. It makes for less work on the dev end of things and allows for PS4 and Xbox One owners access to these games for a long time to come. What says you Era?
...what makes you think they are going to stop allowing PS4 and One releases?

Oct 27, 2017
EA released its last FIFA game on PS2 after the PS4 was out, so I can't see Sony telling devs they aren't allowed to make PS4 games anymore.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more a question of how long Sony and MS will officially support the PS4 and Xbox One. It's a hard thing to predict but I can see this cross-gen period being longer than the last one since these gens are much more similar in terms of OS and hardware architecture.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think they have to allow anything really

Ubisoft was shipping Wii games not too long ago and EA shipped FIFA on PS2 as late as 2014 I think

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why you think MS/Sony are just going to stop developers from releasing last gen games...

Oct 27, 2017
Sony "allowed" EA to release FIFA 14 on the PS2, I doubt they would care about PS4 releases in 2027, I expect the same with Microsoft.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
...what makes you think they are going to stop allowing PS4 and One releases?
They have to keep store support up and still license the games and have a team dedicated to cert right? I guess I just assumed that at a certain point you couldn't officially release on a platform because the platform holder doesn't allow it due to the platform holder not dedicating resources to it.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Can you imagine being a small developer, struggling for years to complete your game, only for two multibillion dollar corporations to tell you that you can't release for the platforms you developed for all those years?

ginge

Jul 23, 2020
They have to keep store support up and still license the games and have a team dedicated to cert right? I guess I just assumed that at a certain point you couldn't officially release on a platform because the platform holder doesn't allow it due to the platform holder not dedicating resources to it.

The xbox 360 store still works fine...

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

FIFA 19 came out 2 years ago digitally and physically on PS3. They'll be perfectly allowed to make last gen games all gen if they want.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
s-l300.jpg
5e1f48f792f5c51f8cab48a8

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Sure, but that's not happening for years.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
I don't see why they wouldn't allow it. They'll only cut off first-party support after a certain point, just as they do every generation.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Developers can release whatever they want fullstop, it's up to them to determine if the market is there.

There were still PS2 releases this decade ffs.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
It does feel like Sony in particular wanted to phase out PS3 support ASAP, but PS4 wasn't backward compatible, so I hope it isn't the case now. However, we're hearing reports of devs not even being allowed to discount their own PS Vita / PS3 games lately, so while releasing games on Vita (and PS3?) might still be possible (is it?), devs are still being limited in other ways to support or sell them optimally. Might be the same on PS4 like 5 years from now.

I do think it's telling that there's not a Super Slim version of the PS4. I wonder if we'll see it still or some other cheap SKU? If not next year, then I feel like Sony will be making steps to steer developers away from PS4 to make PS5 better value (more games that aren't also on PS4).

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
It definitely is, they make their money as a platform holder by being obtaining licensing fees for that.

That said, they have no reason to prevent a game from being on ps4 or xbox one that is capable of running on those machines.
Oh i know, my line of thought mirrors yours.
I meant, there's no valid reason (commercially at least) why MS/Sony would prevent anyone from making games for that huge userbase.
Well, until the data shows something else that is

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
They're not going to stop them, Vita games are still coming out and it's officially discontinued.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I dont think they have to allow anything really

Ubisoft was shipping Wii games not too long ago and EA shipped FIFA on PS2 as late as 2014 I think

They do, as the games have to pass certification to be released. But they won't stop that process any time soon... In fact a game was certified and released for PS3 and Vita in 2020 (Shakedown Hawaii). So yeah, if publishers want to release games for ps4 the doors will remain open.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
They do, as the games have to pass certification to be released. But they won't stop that process any time soon... In fact a game was certified and released for PS3 and Vita in 2020 (Shakedown Hawaii). So yeah, if publishers want to release games for ps4 the doors will remain open.
yup, pretty much

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Of course they should and will if that is what developers want. It's up to the developers really as it has always been. Pretty sure Vita is getting new games still lol

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully these stores will now be generationless like a PC store is so there would be no reason to drop support. Something I disliked about the last gen transition was that there were indie games that could run on a potato that where still exclusive to the new gen, that shouldn't need to happen anymore.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's less about ms/Sony telling pubs they can't release on old platform and more about the market is moving onto the newer devices.

Obviously people still playing older consoles, but that's not where the money will be, and frankly I rather devs use the power of the new consoles.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I think it's more a question of how long Sony and MS will officially support the PS4 and Xbox One. It's a hard thing to predict but I can see this cross-gen period being longer than the last one since these gens are much more similar in terms of OS and hardware architecture.

Plus COVID & recession.