• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So I've been waiting for She-Hulk to enter the MCU since... well, the start. She's one of my favorite characters of all time.

However, while I"m thrilled she's coming to Disney+ in her own series, it begs the question of "how are they going to do her?"
from-she-bulk-to-she-hulk-transformation-phase-1-12-6__wx227D2hkDpKq06hmZ0zxwHaMf.jpg

While Hulk has almost ALWAYS been a CG creation in the MCU, there's a good reason for it. Bruce Banner in the comics is 5'9", and as the Hulk he grows to over 8' or larger. Jennifer Walters, on the other hand, goes from 5'1" to 6'7". Because Hulk is a literally green giant bulging with massive, mountain-sized muscles, it was never going to be feasible to find an actor to physically embody him to a comic-accurate degree (no matter how physically impressive Lou Feriggno is). With modern technology, Hulk was always going to be done with CG.
41TvHc7QXLL.jpg

But She-Hulk, by most comic depictions, is nowhere near as bulging and roided out as her cousin is, and her height - while tall - hasn't ever been towering over other heroes or heroines to the same degree.
052e09110f55f11d5794e0908c43f68a--marvel-women-marvel-girls.jpg

So... how do you do her in a live-action series?

Clearly, you have to have SOME difference between her Jennifer Walters form and her She-Hulk form, which means it'll be hard to have a smaller actress grow up to her She-Hulk size. Do you cast a smaller, more petite actress for Jennifer and then enhance her, or do you cast a taller, more athletic actress for the role and scale down? You could always pull a First Avenger Steve Rogers, I suppose...
cap.jpg

And you can always use perspective trickery for that bit of extra height.
middle-earth_2.png

The issue with that is time and money. For a TV show - even one with Disney-backing - it might be too much to ask for to plan everything out so carefully for the primary character in every shot.

CG might be the better choice for a full-on "Hulk" persona, and they may even go with her current "larger" form in the comics. But CG, of course, is equally as time-consuming, and Jennifer's Hulk form is nowhere near as gargantuan, so the amount of effort to bring it to life in CG wouldn't be nearly as impressive as hulking Bruce out in the films.

And something Jen has that Banner doesn't is one of CG's biggest pains-in-the-butt. Big ol' Shulkie hair.
SheHulk%2B(1).jpg

While her hair is less 80's pin-up than it used to be, she's still a character with long, wild hair, and animating any character with long flowing locks is a gargantuan hassle that no physics engine has fully been able to 100% master, even to this day, at least not without a ton of touch-up and effort to make it look right in every scene.
brave-curly-hair-gif.gif

Regardless, I trust Marvel to make it work, but I'm equally curious to see HOW they're going to make her work. Will they paint a girl green and put her in platform shoes, or will they pump the resources into a big CG version of their lead character?

What do you think they're going to do? Which do you think will be most effective?

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
either they make her more human sized, or CG. Doc Hulk worked fine in Endgame, imo.
Dunno about the budget argument. The Mandalorian is for the same service, and it's looks incredible. it's isn't an issue.

Estro

Jul 17, 2019
I would love for them to go the Lou Ferringo route: one actress for full-on She-Hulk, one for her normal form. Seeing as it has been confirmed this is based on Slott's run with the character, she should switch often.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldnt mind a lady with a really hilarious bad green sharpie/highlighter job all over her face and skin. I miss the days of bad costumes. All these great effects and costumes.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
They will use a shit-ton of CG either way, no matter what happens.

Just give me Rhea Ripley as She-Hulk pls. Strong, tall, beautiful.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Prof Hulk in Endgame was excellent, but I can't see them having the time or budget for that in this.

Just cast a tall actress and use make up and prosthetics, probably. Hire below-average height actors for the rest of the roles. Shame they already used Elizabeth Debecki in Guardians 2. She's 6'3" and delightful.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer they just make her more human sized. As you said she-hulk is not the roided out monster that hulk is. Her hulk form more closely resembles a human being.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
After seeing The Mandalorian trailer, this clearly a Movie level production.

CG and it will be very good.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I wouldn't be surprised if they made her hulked-out look a half-way point between her classic look & her more Hulk-like build that she has in the comics now. Basically this...

Dnc59rqUcAASvr8.jpg

So to answer your question, probably a bit of CG. It worked great for Professor Hulk, so I could see it going great for Jen as well.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Has disney said if they are following the usual streaming model of dropping everything at once (a full season) or weekly episodes? If the former, its probably CGI since they will have more time to schedule out a full CGI of the character across the entire season. If its the latter, I could see it being a bit harder and they may lean real person.

I think CG will look better, especially in comparison to hulk in the movies. I just think a real person will look goofy standing next to other real people.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Is Hulk tied to her origin? Wondering if he'll show up.

Anyway I feel like it should be a combination of an actual actress with CGI. You can't have her as just a regular large woman when you consider it's part of the MCU and Hulk towers over any regular human.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Anyway I feel like it should be a combination of an actual actress with CGI. You can't have her as just a regular large woman when you consider it's part of the MCU and Hulk towers over any regular human.
He gives her a blood transfusion and that is what gives her her powers

Oct 25, 2017
As long as they make SHulk bulky and muscular and not just generic tall woman that's angry, I'm pleased with any approach.
I wouldn't be surprised if they made her hulked-out look a half-way point between her classic look & her more Hulk-like build that she has in the comics now. Basically this...

Dnc59rqUcAASvr8.jpg
This is the least amount of muscle I'd still be satisfied with.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Bruce is her cousin, & it's his blood transfusion that gives Jen her powers.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
As long as they make SHulk bulky and muscular and not just generic tall woman that's angry, I'm pleased with any approach.

This is the least amount of muscle I'd still be satisfied with.
She hulk doesn't get stronger if she gets mad. She gets stronger the more afraid she is

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Well if it's a green makeup lady she will probably look like this:

ibpuoIq.png

CGI gives a lot of flexibility in terms of everything. You can cast an average sized woman to play the part and then use CGI for all the action parts.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
How did they do skinny steve again? Chris Evans head on top of cg skinny body? Maybe do that, but with buff cg body. I imagine full cg head with hair will be really hard to do consistently.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Most comic depictions nowadays have her going savage hulk sized.

So its gonna be , normal she hulk some CGI

Then savage she hulk a lotta CGI

OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I would love for them to go the Lou Ferringo route: one actress for full-on She-Hulk, one for her normal form. Seeing as it has been confirmed this is based on Slott's run with the character, she should switch often.
I wonder if that was their original idea for the old cancelled She-Hulk movie pitch with Brigitte Nielsen.
she-hulk1.jpg

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
CGI seems expensive unless they change how often Shulkie stays Shulkie. Anecdotal but it always felt like she kept that form way more than Banner stayed Hulk.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
Live actress, its more important that they base her when john byrne was writing her comics.

Oct 25, 2017
She hulk has always looked more normal proportioned than the hulk so really they don't need to CG her but I think it might look better. Otherwise I figure we would get another gamora whose make up just blatantly looks like make up.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
On a diferente note, can Disney make standalone Hulk movies or not? Universal owns the right to that or? Still confused on this myself.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It depends on the actress honestly. If you can find someone who can pull off a proper she hulk build then yeah you can pull off Live Action maybe, but if you can't then make it CG.

Personaly after seeing Hulk in the MCU I would rather have the best actress for the role than someone who can pullboff the look. Because Mark Ruffalo is amazing as Bruce Banner, but obviously has zero physical resemblance to the Hulk.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
God, I hope she isn't fully CG. If she's fully CG we're only going to see it for a few minutes throughout a season. I want to see her lawyer-ing it up in her Hulk form and that'll only be affordable with make-up and maybe a little bit of CG to make her bigger.