• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ive never played the game but i know it has one of the best soundtracks of last gen

My favorite is homelands

OP
OP
EdReedFan20

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
This might be asking for too much, but with the success of Tetris Effect, how cool would Shatter VR be?

Torgo

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, nice to see someone say nice things about our games.

We as a company are still around. We just shifted over to our "digital publishing" brand PikPok for the most part since 2010, while our "work for hire console" brand Sidhe was left to wither.

We are mostly in the mobile space now (see www.pikpok.com), and have had a lot of success there, with the team currently sitting at around 120 people. Indeed, managing to make the leap into self publishing and original IP saved us when a lot of similar "B tier" studios fell victim to the GFC. However, we are back in console, and in addition to mobile are working on stuff across PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch and "other platforms" right now.

So, Shatter then... well, we've looked at a life for the game beyond where it was, and investigated bringing it to iPad a couple of times over the years. However, the code and visuals are a bit of a nightmare to port given some engineering choices. We haven't looked at a Switch version, and that may be a possibility but nobody has looked at it as we are slammed right now until the end of the year. We'd certainly appreciate people buying it on PC/Mac in the mean time.

I did have a vision for a sequel too. The first game (if you follow the very subtle narrative) deals with a slave robot who is freed by a glitch in the system (there is a THX-1138 reference in the opening sequence even), journeys home to find his people frozen, and then embarks on a vengeance quest against the monstrous overlords (who says Breakout Plus can't have story!). I wanted the sequel to get more organic visually and have our hero bat deal with a strange creeping evil that was turning his people into zombies.

It's fair to say no sequel would likely happen without teaming up with the soundtrack musician, Module. He is a musical savant who just had incredible creative ability. He performed the Shatter soundtrack live a couple of times, basically recreating everything manually in the moment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q54HoiYC0J8 But he actually stopped creating music entirely for years, and fell out of contact. BUT he is back! He actually released his first new album in a long time a couple of months ago and you can stream it for free here https://module.bandcamp.com/ The original Shatter soundtrack can be streamed fro free here https://sidhe.bandcamp.com/album/shatter-official-videogame-soundtrack

Anyway, thanks again for the kind words, and I have a few things to think about it seems.

Shatter holds a very special place in my heart. We "discovered" it at our first E3, as it was the first game that we got an actual appointment for in the early days of PS Nation. They had it in the E3 Art Gallery, which is at the corner of the walkway between the South and West halls. It was hidden away pretty well too, so I had to get someone on the phone to even find it.

The game, and that soundtrack blew us away. So much so that I started telling everyone that I knew from different outlets like Joystiq and 1up. It remains one of my favorite PS3 games ever, and the notion of it coming to PS4 excites me crazily.

Also, Mario is who we spoke to at our appointment

Oct 27, 2017
I first played it when it was out on PS+, and ended up buying it when I stopped my subscription. Bought the soundtrack too, was actually just listening to it yesterday while I was on a road trip.

I will totally buy this again. It's a great game and deserves the support.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, this thread prompted another look at what we could do here, and we found a way to make it work.

Some details to sort through (so I can't make definitive statements about timing and platforms), but Shatter will be coming to modern consoles.

Thanks for the poke, Era.
please please please please release the game on GOG too. I don't care if you release it 12 months after the other ports; I will triple dip.

Oct 26, 2017
Shame I missed this thread originally, I championed this game back when it released and I rave about the soundtrack to this day.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Just a little update here, we were a little slow to spin up at the end of last year, but are working with an external dev team to help make the ports happen, and they have made great progress in getting stuff running on hardware. No definitive release date or SKU plan yet, though Xbox One, PS4, and Switch likely (the port work at least is covering all of those). Might be end of the year. More likely early next year.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Just a little update here, we were a little slow to spin up at the end of last year, but are working with an external dev team to help make the ports happen, and they have made great progress in getting stuff running on hardware. No definitive release date or SKU plan yet, though Xbox One, PS4, and Switch likely (the port work at least is covering all of those). Might be end of the year. More likely early next year.
I'm swooning here. I loved playing that game so much back on my PS3, I can't wait to possibly play it on my Switch and introduce it to all my friends who never heard of it.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the update :D I can't wait.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Appreciate the update, Shatter was such a great PS3 title, there's literally a whole new generation out there who haven't experienced it.

Any chances of 4K/HDR?

I'll definitely be there for it again, day one.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Say whaaaaaat

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018

You absolute legends, I can't wait :)

Shatter was one of the first games I played a ton on Steam, and the soundtrack got listened to so much during my late teens. Lovely to see it return!

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
I would buy it in a heartbeat. A sequel too.

While we're at it remaster Cuboid and Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes to current Gen consoles.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Any chances of 4K/HDR?

Maybe. It isn't "on the list" currently, but there are a few things that are looking a little long in the tooth and some opportunities like this that we could address. We've brought the game across to Unity so that will make adding support for higher resolutions and post-processing easier (frame rate impact notwithstanding).

We need to finish the port and then kind of take stock of where we are at.

Cardon

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago

This news has me one step closer to believing in god again.

Can't wait to replay this again.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017

Thank you for reminding me about this thread - reminds me why I love this community (sometimes it's hard to remember!)

Can't wait to support shatter all over again

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

Definitely will pick up for the Switch. Excellent game

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
So, this thread prompted another look at what we could do here, and we found a way to make it work.

Some details to sort through (so I can't make definitive statements about timing and platforms), but Shatter will be coming to modern consoles.

Thanks for the poke, Era.
Wow this is awesome. Loved this game on PS3. Btw if you bring it to PS4 can you include a Platinum trophy this time around?

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Awesome news! Shatter was one of the 1st games I bought on PSN. Can't wait to play it again. Platinum trophy would be awesome this time around.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Holycrap! How have I missed this thread for so long? This is amazing. Gripshift was one of my most played PSP titles and the PS3 version saved the launch drought for me. Shatter was absolutely brilliant, good to see it's coming to PS4! I guess I'll take a look at their mobile games, I though Sidhe was dead.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
When I turn on my ps3 it's to play Shatter and Super Stardust HD. Great news!
I will probably get it on xbox one or switch or both. Amazing game.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I'd never heard of this game before this thread. I watched the trailer in the OP, now I can't wait to get it on Switch. Its definitely one of those lose yourself in it on the train kind of deals. Day 1.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is great, thanks!

Do you think you guys could release the game on GOG, pretty please? Cause I would definitely buy it there. It's my client of choice.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
This is great, thanks!

Do you think you guys could release the game on GOG, pretty please? Cause I would definitely buy it there. It's my client of choice.

We've only been supporting Steam so far. However, we have another PC game coming out in the first half of next year that is prompting us to think more broadly about our PC distribution strategy. So we may look to support platforms beyond Steam at some point.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I was literally going to bump this thread this week to ask if there was any updates.

I really can't wait. Thanks again for bringing this to the current generation of console.