• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How should Capcom handle the roster for Street Fighter VI?

• Start from scratch like previous numbered Street Fighter games, it's tradition.

Votes: 1,013 61.2%
  • Reuse SFV's assets, I want a larger roster from the start & SFV's animations are too good to ditch.

Votes: 441 26.6%
  • Meh, Capcom can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned.

Votes: 201 12.1%

• Total voters

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
restart and make the art style so that people complain about how V looked better

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never get the posters who want it to have a generic Anime style like Arcsys games. Theres like tons of Anime fighters out there. Whether you like how SF looks or not , it is still something different. Why make it look like everything else ?

RE Engine will never happen for Street Fighter because the franchise is primarily developed by an outside contractor, Dimps, and entire character models and stages are outsourced to random people worldwide.

While this is true. I think it is about time Capcom gave the franchise the respect it deserves. They should at least make the base game completely in house to set a strong foundation to build future updates.

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I guess the franchise really must recover from the Ono-Era. Many stuff went downhill the past years and right now, the IP is reduced to a tournament game. Of course Capcom can give a shit because I guess they are still making money with Street Fighter V. But I do think, even with the Arcade Edition released the first impression back then was crucial in a very negative way.

A fresh start is something the series needs. I go so far and say a Reboot may not the most bad decision. The IP needs a Mortal Kombat 9 moment.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Start from scratch, and stop listening to players on what they want. Just make a great game. SFV lacks defensive options at a design level, I feel that's directly attributed to the pro scene and influences. Look to VF5 for balance inspiration and make a brand new SF.

The oil painting look of 3rd strike would be a welcome art style IMO.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I guess the franchise really must recover from the Ono-Era. Many stuff went downhill the past years and right now, the IP is reduced to a tournament game. Of course Capcom can give a shit because I guess they are still making money with Street Fighter V. But I do think, even with the Arcade Edition released the first impression back then was crucial in a very negative way.

A fresh start is something the series needs. I go so far and say a Reboot may not the most bad decision. The IP needs a Mortal Kombat 9 moment.
I'm not sure if a reboot is necessary. One of the reasons for MK's reboot was that the story got too convoluted, & SF's story isn't anywhere near that point. Hell, SFV finally gave the series an opportunity to move past SFIII in the timeline.

Use whatever engine NRS used for Injustice 2 and MK11.
Injustice 2 runs on a modified version of Unreal Engine 3, while MK11 likely uses Unreal Engine 4 (the same engine as SFV). Assuming that Division 2 ends up doing SFVI, I'd imagine that they'll stick with UE4.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Use whatever engine NRS used for Injustice 2 and MK11.

If they were ever gonna make a realistic SF. It would be on their own RE Engine. Which looks way better than any NRS game.

Injustice 2 runs on a modified version of Unreal Engine 3, while MK11 likely uses Unreal Engine 4 (the same engine as SFV). Assuming that Division 2 ends up doing SFVI, I'd imagine that they'll stick with UE4.

The Engine NRS uses called Kore Tech which used UE3 as a base , but is different enough that its pretty much their own at this point. I can't see them throwing that away and starting on UE4.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I wish it was still practical to go back to Third Strike styled sprites. Short of that I think its much better to reuse/update rather than going through the cycle of pretending to enjoy an old character's nth reveal.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never get the posters who want it to have a generic Anime style like Arcsys games. Theres like tons of Anime fighters out there. Whether you like how SF looks or not , it is still something different. Why make it look like everything else ?
You have a SFA/Z2 Guy avatar =)

I would love to see that style in 3D in a SF6...or, maybe Capcom can revive the Alpha/Zero series with an ArcSys approach ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
You have a SFA/Z2 Guy avatar =)

I would love to see that style in 3D in a SF6...or, maybe Capcom can revive the Alpha/Zero series with an ArcSys approach ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not hating on it , but it was cool back then when GG was the only game doing it. Now it seems overused , and not just in Fighters. Let ArcSys be ArcSys.

Also its not like SF isn't completely anime , I feel like it has a nice unique style.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
RE Engine will never happen for Street Fighter because the franchise is primarily developed by an outside contractor, Dimps, and entire character models and stages are outsourced to random people worldwide.

We honestly don't know if this will be the case for SF6, however - and DMC and RE7/2 have safely used some outsourcing without this being a major issue. Capcom has shown willing in terms of making a fighting game in house already with Infinite (lol) as well - so I think RE Engine could be an incentive to bring it in-house rather than a reason not to, as the engine clearly has great abilities and being in-house can bring cost savings of its own. It's all about budget in the end though, I guess. It'd require staffing up, but Capcom is in a better position to do that than it's been in for about the last 15 some years.

As an aside, when I interviewed Itsuno on the DMC press tour I mentioned how great the game looks at 60fps and how the next natural jump in my mind was to wonder about how a fighting game would look in that engine, and Itsuno laughed and basically said they're working hard to diversify the engine to have the potential to power all the types of games Capcom makes. I think the work to make a fast-paced, 60fps game in DMC5 has a few natural applications outside fighters (it'd help with scale on titles like MH and DD), but Street Fighter is obviously a core pillar for Capcom, so I totally think it's possible... but I also think the decision (probably?) lies with Ono in the end, which is a wrinkle in itself.

I think the aspects of Street Fighter that most don't gel with RE engine is the exaggeration, like character fists getting bigger etc, plus the fact that so far the engine has specialized in using real life actor scans for models, even for more stylised characters in DMC. I wonder if they'd want to face scan somebody for Ryu, and I wonder if they didn't want to how the look of the engine would adapt - but the flip side of that is that the most popular, best selling fighter on the market also has a 'photoreal' style, and part of me wonders if the success of the NRS games could actually make Capcom take a step back with SF6 and try to make something that looks a little more like that - and for that, RE Engine is obviously well suited.

Last edited:

N051DE

Oct 27, 2017
SEATTLE
SFV and MK11 run on UE4(had to google) so I guess my earlier engine argument was irrelevant. CAPCOM just designs(or OK'ed designs of) their characters poorly it seems. MK11 looks amazing and Injustice 2 running on UE3 almost as good, it makes me even more disappointed in CAPCOM's art direction.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
We honestly don't know if this will be the case for SF6, however - and DMC and RE7/2 have safely used some outsourcing without this being a major issue. Capcom has shown willing in terms of making a fighting game in house already with Infinite (lol) as well - so I think RE Engine could be an incentive to bring it in-house rather than a reason not to, as the engine clearly has great abilities and being in-house can bring cost savings of its own. It's all about budget in the end though, I guess. It'd require staffing up, but Capcom is in a better position to do that than it's been in for about the last 15 some years.

As an aside, when I interviewed Itsuno on the DMC press tour I mentioned how great the game looks at 60fps and how the next natural jump in my mind was to wonder about how a fighting game would look in that engine, and Itsuno laughed and basically said they're working hard to diversify the engine to have the potential to power all the types of games Capcom makes. I think the work to make a fast-paced, 60fps game in DMC5 has a few natural applications outside fighters (it'd help with scale on titles like MH and DD), but Street Fighter is obviously a core pillar for Capcom, so I totally think it's possible... but I also think the decision (probably?) lies with Ono in the end, which is a wrinkle in itself.

I think the aspects of Street Fighter that most don't gel with RE engine is the exaggeration, like character fists getting bigger etc, plus the fact that so far the engine has specialized in using real life actor scans for models, even for more stylised characters in DMC. I wonder if they'd want to face scan somebody for Ryu, and I wonder if they didn't want to how the look of the engine would adapt - but the flip side of that is that the most popular, best selling fighter on the market also has a 'photoreal' style, and part of me wonders if the success of the NRS games could actually make Capcom take a step back with SF6 and try to make something that looks a little more like that - and for that, RE Engine is obviously well suited.
That still goes back to the two issues I already mentioned.
I can see two things holding this idea back.
  • The RE Engine seems to excel with scanning in real-life models for the characters. That likely won't be easy to do with a ton of characters (especially when you factor in DLC).
  • As of now, only Division 1 has been using the RE Engine. While that could change in the near future, the guys at Division 2 seem currently content with Unreal Engine 4 & MT Framework.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Make SF6 a Super SF5, but with a new storyline, time setting, 50/50 new characters and gameplay/mechanic tweaks. I like that. And get rid of the fight money stupidity.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
SFV and MK11 run on UE4(had to google) so I guess my earlier engine argument was irrelevant. CAPCOM just designs(or OK'ed designs of) their characters poorly it seems. MK11 looks amazing and Injustice 2 running on UE3 almost as good, it makes me even more disappointed in CAPCOM's art direction.
To be fair, Capcom's previous attempts at a more realistic art style didn't end very well.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Go on a 10 year hiatus again and come back imo. SF brand is ruined to the masses now imo. Also they just don't have the budget or appeal to fight their competitors now especially NRS and Nintendo. SF in today's market and to the next generation of players is a 3rd rate fighter.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Go on a 10 year hiatus again and come back imo. SF brand is ruined to the masses now imo. Also they just don't have the budget or appeal to fight their competitors now especially NRS and Nintendo. SF in today's market and next generation of players is the a 3rd rate fighter.
I mean, I'm not sure if the CPT can run SFV for 10 years straight. And I doubt that the brand is as ruined as you think.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Go on a 10 year hiatus again and come back imo. SF brand is ruined to the masses now imo. Also they just don't have the budget or appeal to fight their competitors now especially NRS and Nintendo. SF in today's market and to the next generation of players is a 3rd rate fighter.

Good thing the people who actually watch fighting games doesn't agree with your assessment.

Source: https://newzoo.com/insights/article...n-hours-watched-on-twitch-and-youtube-gaming/

Top_Tournaments_by_Hours_Watched_EVO_2018.png

While I agree that SFV fell flat throughout it's life, it has some of the most engaged community around the world. I personally can't wait for SF6 if Capcom is able to put in as much love and energy as they have with their Resident Evil titles and DMC.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Damn, and here I thought I did good work.

Keep it up!

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Capcom does reboot the series, I hope they don't do so until after we get a game that takes places after SF3 story-wise.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If the MvC4 rumors are true I can see that game in RE Engine. I'm sure Marvel wants that game to look more like Injustice anyway.
I think RE engine running MvC4 only happens if Marvel foots the bill, since I figure development would be prohibitive expensive for Capcom.

SCJoe

Nov 8, 2017
Id rather they go sf3 route again or create a new ip. Give the current characters a rest for a game or two

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Reuse to an extent, but get rid of all the trash costumes. Make options to ban costumes in custom lobbies and options to default costumes to a specific choice you have when playing online.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
The audience is growing but Street Fighter sucks now. They need a Street Fighter game, that's the only reason it's been able to have the legs that it's had.

ThingsRscary

Banned
Mar 10, 2019
from a business standpoint. reuse the assets again and increase the scale of the game and making it more fun.
+ removing the ads they just implemented in the game.
I don't see RE engine will do any better for it since that engine (I think) is all about photo scanning assets.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

I think they should just go full anime or jump to realism (RE engine or not, although RE engine should be used if possible). They need to make the next entry stand out visually to break ties with V, and I really doubt Street Fighter's current plastic figure-like designs really have a large appeal by themselves.

Deleted member 47942

Banned
Sep 20, 2018
I'd love to see a shift in art direction and new characters making up the majority of the initial roster like SFIII. Bring in your classic characters as the season progresses.

SFV felt way too similar to SF4.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I always prefer sequels to start from scratch and be an actual different game. I also hate pretty much everything about SF5.

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RE2 and DMC5 changed my opinion on this now. Think Capcom should just start from scratch. I first thought they should reuse the assets FROM SF5 because I was not confident in their ability to let a game cook in development until its ready but christ did they do a u-turn with just those two games. I also think it would be a good opportunity to do a soft reboot of the franchise.

team start from scratch.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Start from scratch but have the amount of content AE did at launch.

Mechanics need to be tuned more towards competitive play again. Casuals are gonna be scared off after a week online regardless. Make the skill ceiling high even if it raises the floor.

Also I don't like SF V's art style all that much, so I'd like to see something new for VI

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017

You're outing yourself right from the start referring to them as all generic anime games. None of the recent Arcsys games look the same to me, besides the fact that they're colorful, but style wise they all look pretty distinct. I don't think it's crazy for people to want Capcom to make a similar style game with the looks of the old 2D SF games. Would anyone honestly argue that SFIV or V loo

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
You're outing yourself right from the start referring to them as all generic anime games. None of the recent Arcsys games look the same to me, besides the fact that they're colorful, but style wise they all look pretty distinct.

They can look different while still sharing similar art style. Actually maybe art style isnt even the right word for what am referring to. Like DBFZ and GG look different if you look at them as an Anime. But they still look like anime. Its like how many games have the "realistic" look but within that there are games that look very different.

Point is SF has this weird Clay Figure art style that the others don't really have. SFV aesthetic is also very anime but it has some differences that make it stand out.

Last edited: